6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman lowering springs installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cattman lowering springs installed!!!

I had pre-production Cattman springs installed today and I wanted to share my opinions and pictures with everyone. The springs lower the car by about 1.6-1.7 inches in the fornt, depending on how much they "settle" and about .6-.7 inches in the rear. We all know Eibach lowers the car by a a little more, so the question is, why not get Eibach.

First of all, it was determined dropping the car more than 1.7 and .7 inches front and rear respectively is the maximum drop without adversly affecting suspension geometry and suspension travel, two key elements to car performance.

Second, Cattmans springs are about 20% stiffer than stock, as opposed to Eibachs which, I believe, are stock stiffness, or much less stiff than 20%.

Although there appears to be a slightly larger gap in the front still, it is significantly reduced. Nissan simply built too large of a gap in the design to safely overcome it completely.

After I installed the springs, I noted that the normal drive over slight bumps is unaffected. Only when you encounter major dips in the road or drive hard around a turn do you feel the affect of stiffer springs. When I test drove the car with two other large men (weight totalling about 750lbs) we came acrosss a large dip in the road and braced for impact. No impact occured much to our great and simultaneous surprise. These springs are really wonderful in that they make the car hug the road even better than just with the rear sway bar (which is great in and of itself), they drive very nicely over regular roads which include moderate bumps, and they resist major dips.

I also noted immediately that the car does not exhibit rear squat upon hard acceleration and it resists nose diving upon hard braking. Remember, I have raced cars for over 20 years, including this one a few months ago, and I know how to put a car through its paces, I promise you that. This is one amazing car. The guys at the spring manufacturer thought this was a truly amazing car to drive, and they drive race cars and trucks all the time.

These springs will be ready for production in about 2-4 weeks, from what I understand and will be priced at something UNDER $200!!! Contact Brian Catts at Cattman for more details. Boy, I love this car, and it just gets better. Here are some before and after pics. I put a spot of white tape on teh top of each fender to see the edge clearer for examining the difference in drop. Post your opinions!!

Front Before:

Front After:

Rear Before:

Rear After:
Old 08-04-2005, 05:23 PM

Here are more pics:
Before:

After:

After:
Old 08-04-2005, 05:30 PM

I think it looks great Deus. Are they progressive rate?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:54 PM

Looks like the eibach drop. If it actually sits lower in the front then I might have to get em.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:03 PM

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...rticle&sid=152 Those are some nice wheels!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Looks good, pretty even front to back. Did you take any pics of the springs before you installed them?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:35 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you are one lucky ****, deus.......... looks good...
Old 08-04-2005, 07:34 PM

Any noise issues like almost all of us Eibach owners have? BTW your car looks great with the springs. It makes a world of a difference.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Banned

Looks finished to me
Old 08-04-2005, 08:12 PM

Looks Great!!!! I have thought of lowering mine but don’t want to sacrifice the ride. Is sounds like this might be the way to go.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rob MAX
Looks Great!!!! I have thought of lowering mine but don’t want to sacrifice the ride. Is sounds like this might be the way to go.
Agreed. I've been looking into getting rid of that gap for a while, but with all the other problems i've heard i've just kept it stock. Keep us updated.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Newbie just Registered

I guess in a couple of months, we'll have more choices of springs to choose from.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:28 PM

Three more pics taken later in the day:

Old 08-05-2005, 12:56 AM

looks great deus. how's the ride? is there any noises coming from the front suspension? this might be my alternate/cheaper way to get rid of the noise. keep us updated
Old 08-05-2005, 06:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Looks Tight! It looks very similar to the Eibach, but the rear looks a tad bit higher than Eibachs. Great decision on springs and it gives your ride a sweet look. I was really skeptical about dropping mine, but I'm surprisingly really pleased with the outcome as far as looks and performance. For those peeps that are hesitant about dropping it, I don't blame you. However, if you get a reputable place to install them with experience in replacing springs, you won't be disappointed. With that said, great job!!! PEACE OUT.........
Old 08-05-2005, 07:10 AM

Very Nice Dues!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:10 AM
andymax95

Is that the new supercharged Saturn Ion? j/k

With the new springs, you mention how the Cattmans are stiffer then stock and the Eibachs are less stiff then stock (?). So if you haven't changed your stock struts, then your saying people who blow stock struts with eibachs will have a greater chance of blowing out there struts on Cattman springs cause they are stiffer then the eibachs by about 40%, according to your post?

Old 08-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Damn it's been a long time since i've posted... Lack of time and recently enforced internet restriction at work mainly kept me out of posting, but viewed few posts here and there...

Couldn't pass this one. Deus, your ride is getting better and better everyday!! Love the dropped look!!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by andymax95

Is that the new supercharged Saturn Ion? j/k

With the new springs, you mention how the Cattmans are stiffer then stock and the Eibachs are less stiff then stock (?). So if you haven't changed your stock struts, then your saying people who blow stock struts with eibachs will have a greater chance of blowing out there struts on Cattman springs cause they are stiffer then the eibachs by about 40%, according to your post?
Satrun Ion

No, Cattman is 20% stiffer than stock, Eibach, according to his post is about the same as stock. Eibachs are progressive rate. To Eibach users, has any of you ever bottomed out? I can say this, noise or no noise, this is a lot cheaper(!).
Old 08-05-2005, 08:04 AM

I like the look. what size are your rims?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the kind words, guys!!! I really appreciate it. I personally didnt think that dropping the car by a slight amount would make that much difference in appearance. But when I saw the car being pulled in after the springs were put on, my jaw dropped. I really like the look of a car thats hunkered down, but not slammed to the pavement.

I have experienced no noise from these springs. The only noise I am getting is from my blown right strut. I have detected a slight clunking noise almost from day one when I bought the car. I decided to replace both in an abundance of caution, and because they arent expensive.

The Cattman springs are about 20% stiffer than stock, not enough to have a significant effect. These springs were designed for STOCK strut applications. If a strut is gonna blow, its gonna blow whether or not ur springs are 20% stiffer. That would not be a reason for me to not get stiffer springs. The only drawback for me is, until I replace my blown strut, the stiffer spring magnifies the problem slightly. I understand that Nissan has corrected the strut problem, but Im not sure.

My rims are 18x8 A-Techs, and weigh about 10 lbs lighter than stock. I think mine are about 18 or 19 lbs. They have a bronze finish which I hand polished to give it more of a shine and they do not photograph well, much like the car. In pictures they eigther look gold or like a dull bronze. I think they look better in person.

I had the stock bump stops removed and shorter stiffer ones installed to keep the same suspension travel. Id recommend the same for everyone else.

I would advise that when buying springs, to purchase a rear sway bar aw well to make a suspension package. I thjink most people buy springs so it look good, like when people buy only front springsto drop the front and not the rear. i think this form over function notion is very dangerous and can compromise safety to an extent. I like these springs because it firms the ride very slightly, and also drops the car safely.

By the way, when I saw the Saturn Ion with that rear paddle on the back, it does remond me a lot of my car. Except mine is bigger . . . . and better.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:05 AM
*moderator*

Looking good Deus!! I remember pretty much all of my cars coming back (either being lowered or lifted) and the feeling you get is awesome when you see how much difference it makes!!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:51 AM

sweet Jesus is all I can say AMEN THERE BUDDY
Old 08-05-2005, 03:21 PM

The redesigned front struts for the 04 SE are a big improvement over the originals. Improved on center steering feel, less body lean in curves, less radiated road impact noise [expansion strips come to mind],and no noise yet.

My original struts exhibited none of the problems that others have listed. We didn't know that they were leaking till the tech took them off and found some fluid on top of the right strut.

Possibly all 04 SE front struts are bad,or at least poor quality,

Just an aside. The redesigned front brake pads for the 04 SE are also a big improvement over the originals.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:56 PM

"I would advise that when buying springs, to purchase a rear sway bar aw well to make a suspension package."

AGREED! With the springs, Rear Sway Bar and aftermaket performance tires the Max becomes a sticky beast ... Handles MUCH better than stock...
Old 08-05-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
AGREED! With the springs, Rear Sway Bar and aftermaket performance tires the Max becomes a sticky beast ... Handles MUCH better than stock...
In addition, if you add light weight rims to reduce unsprung weight, a front strut brace, and you adjust your tire pressures accordingly, you have really fabulously handling vehicle.

By the way, because of the dropped ride height, they measured my camber at -1 degree, a very nice measurement for street applications. I ran about -3.5 to -4.5 in my racing Mazda RX4.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:17 AM

One more pic. SOrry, couldnt help it:
Old 08-06-2005, 06:54 AM

Looks great... IMO its more even drop than the Eibachs.... keep up the great work!
Old 08-06-2005, 07:08 AM

looks great, i need to do that now with a price like that. I also ordered the rsb so i'll that installed before i lower it.

great pics deus
Old 08-06-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks Pal: Since I had a prototype sway bar that was smaller than the production model, they swapped mine for the larger bar before installing the springs. I love the ride now, comfortable, yet hunkered down when cornering. I havent really had a chance to wring it out on corners, but when I do, I ll post my feedback.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:05 AM

What is/are the main suspension components that differ between SL and SE?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I just had time to look at this thread. The car looks great Deus. The drop really sets your ride off.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:47 PM

Thanks Boone. Your ride is looking great too. Paint looks liquid!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 09:55 PM

I just got back from taking my car up to Mt Baldy, a winding mountain road about 10-12 miles long. The car handles nothing short of phenomenal. Really truly outstanding. The blown strut is obvious and makes things a bit more dramatic. BUt I was able to easily go 70-90+ mph with very little drama. There is no lean around the turns, it handles the sharp bumps fairly well, bump steer was minimal, handling was essentially neutral, with very little understeer. You dont realize how fast ur going til u see the speedometer. This is ther only way to really see how a car behaves. Take it on a familiar winding road with no traffic. Yeeee haaaa!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:54 AM

You said contact Cattman, but added no contact information...Can you PM it to me..I need springs
Old 08-12-2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 02MaxGLE
You said contact Cattman, but added no contact information...Can you PM it to me..I need springs
From what I understand the Cattman springs are not available yet.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:13 AM

They arent out yet but will be shortly. www.cattman.com Pirce is about $200. Worth the short wait.