6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima SL review by jalopnik (new)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:12 AM

Just click on the link below. Do not copy.
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/jalopni...t-1-131291.php

For you copy & paste ppl
"www.jalopnik.com/cars/jalopnik-reviews/jalopnik-reviews-2005-nissan-maxima-sl-part-1-131291.php"
Old 10-17-2005, 09:28 AM
SuPeRmOd

I emailed him that many of us are under 30 and how the torque steer has gone away for many.

According to him, my step up from my '88 Buick Century was a natural move for me??
Old 10-17-2005, 09:31 AM

I'm under 30 as well, but I still think the Max has the most torque steer of any car on the market today.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The article was really not that funny, and this guy should do more research before he insults Nissan by comparing it to BUICK.
Im 21 and have been driving maxima's since i was 18. For a 21 year old to buy a new Maxima should say alot about who the maxima appeals to.

Jasonjim how long ago did you get your ca?. Because in 1month my torque steer is gone. And its not me just getting used to it, i mean its gone my dad drove it and was pushing it all over the place and he felt no torque steer at all.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:52 PM

I felt the referenced article was 'spot-on', and quite humourous.

Keep in mind he was discussing the SL, not the SE. He did mention that the SE has a firmer, sports car (non-Buick) ride for those with no spinal compaction issues. I only wish he could have tested my SL, which has zero torque steer.

In reality, the SL does have a ride almost as comfortable as a Buick, but with the vim of a sports sedan. When analyzed carefully, the wording is actually complimentary to the SL. He was even 'generous' in his evaluation of interior appointments and finishes. His veiled dig at the grille is, in my opinion, warranted.

The only question I had with the article was the premise this style would be replaced after the '07 model year. Three months ago, I would have assumed the same thing. But with the '06 having no exterior changes from the '04/'05 versions, I now feel there is a chance Nissan may make a few cosmetic front and rear facia changes on this same style for '07, make major improvements in the interior appointments, and carry it through the '08 model year.

If that is the case, that could mean generation 7 might arrive as an '09 in late spring of '08. Should gen 7 indeed be that far away, I would expect it to have major technological changes/improvements in addition to the obligatory new body style.

But, with Nissan, who knows?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:11 PM
SuPeRmOd

well, I received a response:

Hey Justin --

Yeah, the Maxima totally has a following of younger drivers, which I sort of glossed over by passing off the SE as the “younger” model and the SL as the one for those with more gray up top. That’s the trouble with picking a theme, you’ve gotta stick with it all the way.

Actually I’ve seen quite a few sweet Maximas on the road lately, many with the badges “blacked out” and a suspicious whine coming from under the hood. Wonder what that could be? ; )

Here’s an invite to our comments, in case you want to add to the post.

Regards,
Mike
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 PM

I think you guys are just 'used' to the torque steer, but in reality it's still there. On a race track this much tq steer is unacceptable. Haven't taken the Max to a track yet (and prob won't), having too much fun with the Z06.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by jasonjm
I think you guys are just 'used' to the torque steer, but in reality it's still there. On a race track this much tq steer is unacceptable. Haven't taken the Max to a track yet (and prob won't), having too much fun with the Z06.
Hey Jason, stick to your ZO6. And Max doesn't have the most torque steer then any car on the market today. Obviously you don't have the talent to manuver a FWD car
Old 10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I HAVE taken the Max to the track and its great. (See my thread on this topic) Traction control works in the marbles and I beat M3s and other fast cars with good drivers. Just hold on with both hands and floor it.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:29 PM

RHMax: did i say i can't handle it? No. "Obviously". Instead of puking on the forums from having put your foot in your mouth...how about you add something constructive to the post and tell us what car you think has more tq steer.

DeusExMaxima: I haven't taken it to the track..... this year.

Good drivers? To my point of view 10% of the drivers I meet on the track I consider 'good'. I've seen guys in G35 sedans overtake Vipers in the turns sometimes. You overtaking M3s Is not hard to believe. Now, stick your body and mind in an M3 with whatever skill level you have and hit the same track you drive with the Maxima. I think you'd pull better lap times than you did with the Maxima. I agree, Traction for me never came on too hard as long as I didn't late brake and push wide or have a few wheels in the dirt.

The only other car I could see having more tq steer is the new Eclipse.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:16 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
well, I received a response:
On the age thing. I have a SE as most members know and I am going to be 59 next month. I know there are alot of ppl out there over 30 with the SE and under 30 with the SL. Age to me don't mean sh*t. Its what you like that counts. My 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Newbie just Registered

RHMax: did i say i can't handle it? No. "Obviously". Instead of puking on the forums from having put your foot in your mouth...how about you add something constructive to the post and tell us what car you think has more tq steer.
- Pontiac Gran Prix GTP, you need more?

Do you drive your ZO6 on the track w/o TCS/ESP?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:51 PM
SuPeRmOd

Um, I did go to the track and there WAS NO PULL from torque steer. It is gone. I thought "you were used to it" too, but it really has gone away. I drove my buick for a long while then got back in the Max. No tq steer.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by ramberg
On the age thing. I have a SE as most members know and I am going to be 59 next month. I know there are alot of ppl out there over 30 with the SE and under 30 with the SL. Age to me don't mean sh*t. Its what you like that counts. My 2 cents.
...and I am 29 and went in looking to get my SL.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
- Pontiac Gran Prix GTP, you need more?

Do you drive your ZO6 on the track w/o TCS/ESP?
Goodness i forgot... yeah thats pretty bad.

On the vette we have Traction control and stability like the maxima (Called Active Handling). However we can selectively disable traction and leave stability on (Competition Mode) or just completely turn everything off. In Comp mode stability only turns on when your going to do a 360 or hit a wall at the drag strip. Many of us leave it on at the Drags, Auto-X's, and track events. Last year I had it on more times than not on the road courses. My times are no diff with it on or off so thats why I leave it on, it's added security just in case the worst happens. The times that I did turn everything off were VIR (fast track i needed some late late braking a few times to catch up to the instructors, and some sliding can be good) and Sears Point.

Here is a poll on your very question: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77451
Old 10-17-2005, 09:24 PM

The 6th gen Maxima has HUGE torque steer! Much more than my old '01 and my old '03. I promised myself to never buy a FWD car again.

I love everything about my Max but it being FWD so I guess a M45 is a future option.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 PM

I hope he knows the grille is based of a 50's Buick. Nissan was going for a hot rod look when they made this car. For the younger crowd. Also about the torque steer it does have a lot. But this car is not made for racing so you will hardly ever spin your wheels if you drive it for a week. I haven't spun the wheels on it since god knows when. I spin the wheels more on the 4th Gen then the 6th Gen.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Well, it is clear from this thread that there are still those under the misapprehension all 6th gen Maximas have common traits. That is incorrect.

Just as some (but not all) 6th gen Maximas have the dreaded shimmy, and some (but not all) who have the shimmy are able to get the shimmy fixed, we also have divergence on torque steer.

There are obviously some 6th gens with significant torque steer. Too many have posted about it for that not to be true.

Others here are blessed with 6th gens that have no torque steer. Too many have posted about it for that not to be true.

For those 'torquers' who say that long-time Maxima drivers have grown so used to the torque steer that they just automatically compensate without realizing it is there, that is not always correct.

That may be true in some cases, but not in my case. I took my Maxima to a local 'road to nowhere' (connecting bridge at one end is still under construction), TOOK MY HANDS OFF THE WHEEL, and jammed the pedal down. And the car moved straight forward, with NO jerk to either side.

I knew that would happen, as I had already done some blastoff starts on deserted public roads with my fingers barely touching the wheel just in case. No tug whatsoever.

Having owned nothing but Maximas for over twenty years, I know only too well what torque steer feels like.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:44 PM

Well, I'm older than Ramberg but younger than lightonthehill -- and like Ramberg, I drive an SE (mine with a 6-speed). Yes, I'm an old control freak. I have never noticed much torque steer in my 04, but then I rarely put my foot in it that far. I did have torque steer in my 86 Celica (also manual), so I know what it feels like.

I have to agree with "light" on the article, so won't repeat that again. Like most generalizations, this one about the SL being for the old, falls down because some younger drivers like it and some older drivers (like Ramberg and SilverMax) like the SE.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 AM

I will be that old man with the Corvette Z06. The people who drive Buicks and old man cars are not car enthusiasts. This is the same reason you can find 25 yr olds driving the Ford Taurus and not bothered by it.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Well, it is clear from this thread that there are still those under the misapprehension all 6th gen Maximas have common traits. That is incorrect.

Just as some (but not all) 6th gen Maximas have the dreaded shimmy, and some (but not all) who have the shimmy are able to get the shimmy fixed, we also have divergence on torque steer.

There are obviously some 6th gens with significant torque steer. Too many have posted about it for that not to be true.

Others here are blessed with 6th gens that have no torque steer. Too many have posted about it for that not to be true.

For those 'torquers' who say that long-time Maxima drivers have grown so used to the torque steer that they just automatically compensate without realizing it is there, that is not always correct.

That may be true in some cases, but not in my case. I took my Maxima to a local 'road to nowhere' (connecting bridge at one end is still under construction), TOOK MY HANDS OFF THE WHEEL, and jammed the pedal down. And the car moved straight forward, with NO jerk to either side.

I knew that would happen, as I had already done some blastoff starts on deserted public roads with my fingers barely touching the wheel just in case. No tug whatsoever.

Having owned nothing but Maximas for over twenty years, I know only too well what torque steer feels like.
Couldn't agree more. I test drove an '05 SE and there was definetely quite a bit of torque steer when I tromped it. Bought an '06 and compared to the '05 I test drove, there is no torque steer in my '06.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:14 PM

I think you are completely wrong on the TS. I bought my 2005 SE back in January (BTW I am 40 years old) and when I test drove it I could definately feel and see the TS when I got on it a bit getting on the highway onramp. Even the salesman commented on it being quite tourquey and the TS will usually dissapate quite a bit after some mileage gets on the car. Well I at the time said to myself the TS was not that bad and if it was always like that then it was tolerable. However just as many here are saying, after some miles being put on the car I noticed the TS was less and less and then just about gone completely now with my car currently at 8k miles. You can say whatever you want on this subject but it is not imagination or just being used to it when you can step on it and no tugging or noticeable movement of the steering wheel occurs at all. No evidence this car even ever had TS at all. I know it is not just me but other here are saying the same thing with their Maximas too. I have no technical explaination as to why this occurs but it does. I am sure someone will eventually be able to explain the technical reason for the TS fading over time but it is just to common amongst Maxima owners to be just our imagination.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Didn't we already establish on another post that there really isn't a mechanical difference between an SE and SL? They share the suspension parts (struts, springs, rotors, brakes, etc) and the SL is on 17's and the SE on 18's and the SE can have a 6 speed manual? The difference, to me, is the packaging of the creature comforts that separates the 2 models. You can dress an SE up to an SL but you can't strip the SL into an SE.

I'm 36 and got the SL b/c of the interior options, I think as we get older we can afford a little more of the comforts that we deserve. I think its splitting hairs to say the SE and SL are "different" cars, they are both Maxima's and that makes us a special breed apart from those Accord and Camry losers. I haven't seen a Max I don't like yet; well, except for that one with the BIG yellow stripe on it.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 AM

Thats the thing... If I were to take my hands off my wheel and floor it, all hell would brake lose and i'd be in the ditch or drifting toward the on-coming lane. This is the type of reaction that to me is unacceptable on a track, let alone Grandma driving it with her weak arms.

With that said I'm not discounting the fact that some Maximas (mine) might have some undocumented defects causing this excessive torque steer.

You guys catch my drift (no pun intended) now?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Newbie just Registered

Wayyyyyy OT

I prefer sportier cars. I'm 35, old to some. I always choose a car w/ sport pkg, but other comfort options.

I think it's interesting that some TS has dissappeared. Could it be due to broken-in suspension parts, tires, tire pressure, or what ever? I posted in the Progress springs thread that the car felt a little bouncy, and that could be due to a bad strut (it's better now!?!?!) I forgot to mentioned that one of the front strut was "softer" than the other, I think the left was. I know I'm not used to the the TS (or the bounce) because I drive my other cars (RWD) regularly too.

And for the Max has excessive TS for the track, Dues did it; first we know of, but I'm sure won't be the last. Yeah, it's more challenging; but isn't that where the fun really is? A TS 3500lbs FWD family sedan beating some race-bred sports cars.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Add one more MATURE over 40 dude to the SE family... I love sport packages as well! Hey, don't most over 30 dudes own Vette's, Porsche, Vipers, Ferraris etc… If you love going fast and having a sports car at 20, your just have more of a passion for it at 40, 50, 60 etc...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:54 PM

Since we are 'tallying by age', my second car is a 2000 SE, which I bought new in summer of '99. It has never given me the first bit of trouble. I was on Medicare (65 or older) when I bought it.

My wife is now always with me when we travel, and we take mostly long freeway trips. Bladder control becomes a problem with age, so we opted for a more comfortable ride when we bought our '04 SL.

But I still love to use my SE for local driving. Supreme maneuverability.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:03 PM

"If I were to take my hands off my wheel and floor it, all hell would brake lose and i'd be in the ditch or drifting toward the on-coming lane."

Taking your hands completely off the wheel is a moot point. Doing that and flooring it would put you into a ditch 99% of the time with any sports car...

Ever driven a Porsche Turbo, BMW M3, M5 under hard accelaration?

I have, at a track and on street and you REALLY need to hang on at all stages of acceleration...

Maybe with all the horsepower wars going on right now between manufacturers, grandma and her weak arms (as you put it) needs to stay with the Camry or Accord.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 PM

Well, I ain't gonna lie ... my SE has TS, and it hasn't gone away after 33,000 miles. But it doesn't normally bother me, since I have to *really* drop the hammer to induce it.

Furthermore, I understand that TS is a natural consequence of TORQUE, which (as Martha Stewart says) is a good thing. Just as a RWD drive can get away from you in a spirited takeoff (it's called fishtailing), a FWD can also get a little lively, too. Just know it and expect it and it will not be a problem for you.

In fact, I find that the people who have the biggest problem with TS are those who don't like FWD and don't give it a chance ... like some of the snobbish magazine writers who write like they own Porsches and actually drive Toyota Carolla home after work.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
"If I were to take my hands off my wheel and floor it, all hell would brake lose and i'd be in the ditch or drifting toward the on-coming lane."

Taking your hands completely off the wheel is a moot point. Doing that and flooring it would put you into a ditch 99% of the time with any sports car...

Ever driven a Porsche Turbo, BMW M3, M5 under hard accelaration?

I have, at a track and on street and you REALLY need to hang on at all stages of acceleration...

Maybe with all the horsepower wars going on right now between manufacturers, grandma and her weak arms (as you put it) needs to stay with the Camry or Accord.
I couldnt agree more with your last statement. And besides, I dont think Grandma, with her weak arms, would floor the gas pedal
Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
... like some of the snobbish magazine writers who write like they own Porsches and actually drive Toyota Carolla home after work.
How true it is! I used to work in the Petersen's building and see all these guys checking hot cars out for the weekends, and drive mundane family sedans during the week.

AWD, RWD, FWD all got their own quirks.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
wsu

my experience

I'm under 30 as well, but I still think the Max has the most torque steer of any car on the market today.
I have never experienced any torque steer, even when trying to induce it.

As for the age demographic of Maxima owners, it may be that Maxima owners who post here are skewed toward younger ages, perhaps because this site is a nexus between internet use and Maxima ownership. Most of the Maxima owners I see around here (and there aren't many at all) strike me as being in their 30's or 40's here in rural southern Illinois.