6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Stillen Body Kit Falling off?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:11 PM

Stillen Body Kit Falling off?!?

Hey guys,

Just got the dealership to install my bodykit (as they said they would warranty it same as the car warranty). This was all in the bargain for the 2005. They would paint, install the kit and grille for free + discounts + rebates. So all in all it wasn't a bad deal. But they used double sided tape all the way around. This is visable in some areas. Also there are gaps in the the seams like around a bumper there are about 2 mm gaps (1/8 inch). The paint is bang on for color. Is this how all body kits are installed? I am taking it back so they can hide the tape better (and it already seems to be falling off and getting water into it). What should I look for in a better install? Help this complete n00b out. Thanks

Taylor
Old 10-17-2005, 09:40 PM
gec

Originally Posted by FreeRyder
Hey guys,

Just got the dealership to install my bodykit (as they said they would warranty it same as the car warranty). This was all in the bargain for the 2005. They would paint, install the kit and grille for free + discounts + rebates. So all in all it wasn't a bad deal. But they used double sided tape all the way around. This is visable in some areas. Also there are gaps in the the seams like around a bumper there are about 2 mm gaps (1/8 inch). The paint is bang on for color. Is this how all body kits are installed? I am taking it back so they can hide the tape better (and it already seems to be falling off and getting water into it). What should I look for in a better install? Help this complete n00b out. Thanks

Taylor
Well if they're warrantying it...then back it goes... you should really have inspected it closely before accepting the car......bear in mind that dealerships normally don't have people on staff that install body kits... I would also contact stillen as I've found them to have good customer service and ask them how the kit should be secured to the vehicle... I do know that when doing any kit you should take a piece and work from the middle out... If you start on the sides then by the time you wrap around you'll have gaps...thats like bodykit install 101....

Old 10-17-2005, 09:47 PM

Thanks alot... Yeah I would have complained but it was dark when I got the Vehicle. Anyways I will take it back. Anyone who has installed one know if 2 sided tape is all you really use to keep it on? Is there no bead or poxy used to fill the top gap that is left? Thanks for the help.
Taylor
Old 10-17-2005, 10:03 PM

When i got mine done, the guy told me that dirt would eventually hide the tape they used. A few gaps but nothing too bad. now it seems like the tape isn't holding so well. But luckily they are a close friend so if something were to happen more so i'm sure they'd fix it.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:08 PM
gec

Thanks alot... Yeah I would have complained but it was dark when I got the Vehicle. Anyways I will take it back. Anyone who has installed one know if 2 sided tape is all you really use to keep it on? Is there no bead or poxy used to fill the top gap that is left? Thanks for the help.
Taylor
Well I guess I could of answered you a bit more... --- I've assisted on putting on a share of bodykits in my time...they usually come in 2 types --- Snap On's or Universal --- both kinds never go on smoothly... Snap On's are normally form fitted and made especially for that vehicle and lock onto the factory brackets, however some drillng and fanagling is involved... Universals are fitted with double sided tape... Some come with the tape already on the pieces and some don't...from what it sounds like to me is you got a bit of both...a form fitted kit that has to be mount using tape,,,arrrgghhh...

I get the feeling the first thing they did wrong was not work middle out and the second was use a tape that was too thick causing you to see a gap line between the kit and the car...If the kit didn't come with the tape then I would say they grabbed with whatever they had in the shop and did that...if it came with the tape they just mounted it improperly....

As far as glue...I've never personally seen it done but do know that people use it... if too much is used in any one spot then an overspill in the seams will showi and my friend you'll be married to whatever the result isi for the life of the car.....good for you the stillen kit is hot, but still something to think about

Old 10-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Not for rookies!!

Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 AM
SuPeRmOd

1. call Stillen for install instructions.

2. have dealer warranty their work.

did I miss anything????
Old 10-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
1. call Stillen for install instructions.

2. have dealer warranty their work.

did I miss anything????
You forgot to tell him to read the sticky...
Old 10-18-2005, 08:40 AM

Taylor
2 way tape is all that holds it up, i personally used the glue gun to hold mine up.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:02 AM

where are the pics??
Old 10-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Double sided tape......just doesn't sound to secure. Would scare me away from a body kit. Doesn't washing, wind etc tear them off?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you are supposed to attach it with epoxy and two sided tape and screws if you can in the wheel well. I've installed many of body kits and this is always the way it has been done. You can buy the epoxy at home depot, I usually get the black stuff, it ends up working the best
Old 10-19-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MiamiBlackMax
where are the pics??

I'm looking but I no see no stinkin' pictures.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MiamiBlackMax
where are the pics??

Wow... what's up with such big letters... nubie with an attitude, eh?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey guys,

Taylor
Stillen rear valance kit is not very well balanced... If it were a perfect fit to our bumpers, it would leave absolutely no gap in between.. however, they're not...

I had the same problem with rear kit, and the best solution is to a) continue using double sided adhesive tapes and b) bolt the kit to the bottom of the bumper.

I've tried calling Stillen about this issue, but since my kit was already painted with attempt to install, they wouldn't even consider exchanging.. At that time, I was very disappointed at such big company. Eventually, my body shop worked above solutions and it is still holding up great~~

Also FYI, there should not be a big enough gap where you have could even see any part of the tapes...

Anyways, good luck~