6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I messed up my HID install and need help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:20 AM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

I messed up my HID install and need help. (Fixed!!!!)

I tried to install my hid kit this weekend and I messed up the connecters on both bulbs. I broke a piece inside the black connector that holds the metal pin attached to the wire on both of them (if that makes sense) and broke the metal pin that holds the wire on one of them. This was done trying to get the wires through the rubber grommet on the dust cap. Now my question is can I just ommit the black connector pieces and connect the wires mannually and use heat shrink tube to keep the water out, or do the black connectors hold annother purpose. This is the part that connects the bulb to the igniter.

please see pic for reference to the one that broke off.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:35 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

looks like you can just solder it to the rod and put it back in..
Old 11-19-2005, 11:44 AM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

I also broke the clip in the black connector that hold it in place.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:55 AM

well, those are just clips right? they hook up to the end of the bulb harness i assume, maybe you can just do a hard wire.. skip the clip on that side and save yourself some money..
Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 PM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
well, those are just clips right? they hook up to the end of the bulb harness i assume, maybe you can just do a hard wire.. skip the clip on that side and save yourself some money..

Thats what I'm thinking. I'll just put some heat shrink tubing to keep the moisture out and it should be fine and I won't have to alter the dust cap at all.
I just hope the connections don't give off any heat.

Chris
Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 AM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

I finnally got them in. I just cut off the connectors to the bulbs and the igniters and then made the holes in the rubber grommit that's on the back of the dust cover bigger. Then I put the wires through and hardwired then and heat shrink tubed everything.

Viola , now I can finally enjoy the HID's I bought like a month ago!

I'll post some pics later when it gets dark.

Chris
Old 11-27-2005, 02:05 PM

Can't wait to see pics man... and has anyone done a Bi-Xenon type install, just wondering because i need the H4 Bi-Xenon for a different car and if you happen to "blow a bulb" can you replace the bulb and not the entire Bi-Xenon unit? Also where did you get your kit and what brand is it? Is it a reputable company?

Zach
Old 11-27-2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by FrostMaxima
Can't wait to see pics man... and has anyone done a Bi-Xenon type install, just wondering because i need the H4 Bi-Xenon for a different car and if you happen to "blow a bulb" can you replace the bulb and not the entire Bi-Xenon unit? Also where did you get your kit and what brand is it? Is it a reputable company?

Zach

yea you will replace just the bulb... it will have to be the same bi xenon bulb..
Old 11-27-2005, 02:30 PM

Some of the Bi-Xenons have a halogen bulb on the plug i guess u call it with the Xenon bulb so if the Xenon goes i can just remove it and not replace the entire Plug because some of these ebay auctions idk if i could find replacements for the entire plug part, sorry if i'm using the wrong terms for the pieces
Old 11-27-2005, 06:47 PM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

Originally Posted by FrostMaxima
Also where did you get your kit and what brand is it? Is it a reputable company

I got the Helios 7000k kit with the 9006 bulb.( theres a group buy in the G/D section) Did some modification to the wires but it looks awsome. Lights up the road like daylight and I'll have pics tomorrow .
Old 11-27-2005, 11:56 PM
.org extraordinaire

ok...
Please forgive the lack of pics, my ride is at the dealership again for allignment and break pulsation.

Anywhoo..

1) remove stock air box
2) remove front ram air scoop and front grill.
3) remove left plastic trim
4) unscrew windshield wash fill tube.
5) unscrew fog bulb back cover and unclip negative terminal from it.
6) unclip the positive terminal from the fog location bracket.
8) repeat on the other side.

TRICKY PART

9) when u remove the fog cover you will have to pull out the wire in it, just cut the rubber trim around the wire and pull off the fog back cover.

10) ok so you have your new H3 HID bulbs, they have a rubber gromet on them. That rubber gromet will have to fit onto the fog back cover bracket. I used a dremel to cut in the back cover bracket hole a bit bigger to accomondate the larger rubber gromet.

11) put gromet in the fog back cover.
12) adjust wires to desired length.
13) insert the fog bulb into the fog bracket assembly and adjust wires as needed through the rubber gromet.
14) close fog back cover bracket.
15) you should now have two wires coming out of the fog back cover assembly.
16) mount your igniter, I used 3M double sided velcro tape to mount the igniter on the inner side of the D2S main bulb location, right beside the fogs.
17) mount your ballast, I used 3M double sided water resilliant tape to mount the ballast on the inside of the bumper assembly, on top of the horizontal crosbeam. (the part that holds the bumper in place, on either side of the grill.
http://www.watsonsglen.com/Kam/Maxi...it/S3600307.JPG
18) run your cables through wire loom, under neath the light assembly, inner most corner.
19) connect the loose (old) fog cables to the ballast connection.
20) connect ballast to igniters.
21) tape off the connections with electrical tape and place it inside wire loom.
22) repeat on other side.
22.5) TEST TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK. IT THEY WORK GO TO 23)
23) re attach all trim, intake, grill and forced air scoop.
24) drive at night and see like an owl.

KAM

No cutting of any sort!!! just pop out the cables that go throught the back cap. you might have to remove the rubber. Anywhoo, you then make the whole a bit bigger to accomondate the larger newer gromet for the HID bulbs. When that is done, feed the gromet into the rear cap and secure it. Then attach your cables to the left over connectors that were connected inside the housing previously.

Kam
Old 11-29-2005, 09:02 PM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

Here are some pics of the 7000k bulbs. (My camera sucks so sorry for the crappy pics.)

[IMG]

[/IMG]