6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Exhuast question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jrzymuscle21
alright, thats ok, got it.. $80 some guy down the strtreet from me said he'll take care of it tomorrow morning by welding on a straight pipe and taking the resonator out... now is there anything I should be aware of by doing this? (besides warranty that is).. I'm not going to screw up anything am I? What exactly is the side effects besides changeing the tone of my exhaust?
Well... other than it might be too loud for you (or the cops), the only thing is that they do a sucky job. Did you tell him it was a dual exhaust? I'm assuming you're replacing back from the cat to the muffler, taking out the pipe with the resonator as well as the one with the crimp (right before the split).

I think if you remove the resonator alone it will change the tone, but you'll still have the crimp in the other pipe. And if you want to replace that one he'll have to bend and weld the second pipe for the other muffler.

I personally wouldn't do this unless the guy has dealt with 6th gens, but that's just me. If he doesn't know the car, he's not touching mine...

However if he learns well in yours, I might give him the business too...
Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by viguera
Well... other than it might be too loud for you (or the cops), the only thing is that they do a sucky job. Did you tell him it was a dual exhaust? I'm assuming you're replacing back from the cat to the muffler, taking out the pipe with the resonator as well as the one with the crimp (right before the split).

I think if you remove the resonator alone it will change the tone, but you'll still have the crimp in the other pipe. And if you want to replace that one he'll have to bend and weld the second pipe for the other muffler.

I personally wouldn't do this unless the guy has dealt with 6th gens, but that's just me. If he doesn't know the car, he's not touching mine...

However if he learns well in yours, I might give him the business too...
Will it really get that much louder? I'm curious to know how much louder it will become.. I don't want something that sounds like a race car.. just lookin for htat throaty G or FX sound...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:26 PM

Will it really get that much louder? I'm curious to know how much louder it will become.. I don't want something that sounds like a race car.. just lookin for htat throaty G or FX sound...
See my post above.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:47 AM

I'll let you know once I found out what the diameter on the pipe is that needs to go in place of the resonator...
Did you get this done already?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:01 AM

Did you get this done already?

no not yet-- still want to do more research before i do it.. wondering whether i should get a different resonator.. or what to do ..
Old 09-23-2005, 08:21 AM

no not yet-- still want to do more research before i do it.. wondering whether i should get a different resonator.. or what to do ..
Ask the guy if he has that Magnaflow resonator... I think someone said it was cheap (like $60). You guy seems pretty helpful, so you can tell him that you wanna hear the car without it and see... and if it's too loud then give him a couple of extra bucks to have him put the resonator in or something.

For $100-150, it's a pretty good experiment. I don't think you need to worry about the sound... KC Max thought his was too loud without the res, but that's because he changed the mufflers. With the stock mufflers it shouldn't be too bad, but you can cover your *** if you're worried.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:42 AM
*moderator*

Yes, my guy said $60 installed with the Maganflow res, not bad at all. I plan to go that route because I already have the Mag mufflers on and don't want it to be too loud like KC said...
Old 09-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hopefully this won't turn into something like that "which intake" thread...

Simple (exhaust n00b) question... I'm starting to add "real" mods to the car and I'm wondering what I should do about the exhaust...

I'm dropping in a y-pipe on Saturday, but I was planning to wait for that Cattman exhaust that Deus is testing. I don't know how long that's gonna be though, and I'm getting antsy...

What I *do* know is that I don't want a sewer pipe, and I'm really feeling those Magnaflows... so the question is, is it wise to just grab a set of Magnaflow 14816s and have them installed now or something? Is that even feasible or am I looking at having a shop do work now with pipe and a resonator to then have it changed anyway if I decide to go with something like that Cattman?

I know it's stupid, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the "exhaust upgrade path"... the y-pipe seemed to be a pretty simple choice by comparison.

Thanks
I installed a cold air intake (AEM) and then had a great muffler shop remove the resonator with the restrictive piping and I found a few things. I love the sound at idle, I love the sound when I floor it (five speed using tiptronic) entering highways or passing on the highway. I seem to have much more power than before....that I can really feel, the car is much faster, and when I take it easy on the gas I am definately getting better gas mileage...about 12 %?

My next project is the underdrive pully and next year the Y pipe in front.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:30 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by xorbitman
I installed a cold air intake (AEM) and then had a great muffler shop remove the resonator with the restrictive piping and I found a few things. I love the sound at idle, I love the sound when I floor it (five speed using tiptronic) entering highways or passing on the highway. I seem to have much more power than before....that I can really feel, the car is much faster, and when I take it easy on the gas I am definately getting better gas mileage...about 12 %?

Cheers!

So you are still running stock muffler then?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:29 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

[QUOTE=ramberg][QUOTE=viguera

Make sure you save the OEM Y pipe. It might need it to pass the yearly inspection. I just had my 2 year safety inspection and next Sept. starts the emission tests. Mine is put away.[/QUOTE]
Thats why i love registering my car in south florida....(NO EMISSIONS WHAT SOEVER) plus no more snow
Old 09-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone know of a shop in Cincinnati, where I can get a exhaust mod ? I was thinking I would like to add the GReedy system ????

Any info would be appreciated.

I am new at this and just spent an hour going through a pretty rough thread about simple mod's. I love my 6th gen max and just would like to have a few more horses and maybe a little increased sound without going overboard. Any info in this direction would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:14 PM

jrzymuscle21-viguera Why are you guys going to just a regular muffler shops? They really don't know anything about performance upgrading piping(mandrel bends,diametier sizings,etc). They're mosty replacing damaged mufflers with OEM quality piping. Go to a true tuner shop that knows what they're talking about and knows what we want in the first place.Other than that you're just swapping pieces.The best I think these regular muffler shop can do for you is maybe install a cat-back system like Greedy for you. Greedy already did the science and experiment part and dyno,so you know what you get.May be you don't like Greedy,then wait for Cattman or other reputable companies.

But really don't let just any muffler shop perform these hacks on your cars-Go to a real tuner shop.Since you guys are in the tri-state area I have a recommendation,I don't work for them or have a personal relationship with them,but they worked on my old car and some of my friends.R J's Custom Piping-718-358-0764 -They have a Mandrel Machine there -that basically says it all-those machines cost man.They do other things there -call and find out. I hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:34 PM

ASSuming one gets the whole exauhst done (Y pipe to muffs) with an intake such as AEM or a Berk, how much HP do you think we can expect... I know there are differences with intake and piping- I'm looking for a ballpark estimate.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:42 PM

My guess is 295 horses or so, depending on the system.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:34 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Floormarshall
ASSuming one gets the whole exauhst done (Y pipe to muffs) with an intake such as AEM or a Berk, how much HP do you think we can expect... I know there are differences with intake and piping- I'm looking for a ballpark estimate.

Read this

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....8&page=1&pp=30
Old 09-27-2005, 12:35 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
My guess is 295 horses or so, depending on the system.

How did everything go?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
How did everything go?
I'm curious too... I'm looking to replace everything that's restrictive, but I don't want the car to sound like a riced up Honda. I'm waiting to hear what happens with this exhaust business, and now that I got the car back I'm trying to find out what else I could do all at once when I take it to Jeff.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:00 PM

There is a fine line between sounding "good" and sounding like a "ricer" in my mind- I don't think with these V6's they sound riced with the exauhst. I'm looking for a place to do mine in SLC that has experience on a 6th gen... no luck so far. I need a bolt system on so I can do it myself.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:08 PM

There is a fine line between sounding "good" and sounding like a "ricer" in my mind- I don't think with these V6's they sound riced with the exauhst. I'm looking for a place to do mine in SLC that has experience on a 6th gen... no luck so far. I need a bolt system on so I can do it myself.
A *very* fine line... I for one think the G35 coupe is riding that line, just barely coming in as "nice" because the tone is so deep. But it worries me that I might actually get tired of something like that if it sounds like that ALL the time, especially on the highway doing 60 for miles at a time...

Right now I'm happy with the stock sound of the exhaust, but I'm going to start messing with parts to see if I can get close to that G/FX sound. The y-pipe probably won't do much, but taking out the resonator will help from what I've read... If the stock mufflers are not restrictive I don't see the point of changing them, unless I'm going just for sound or looks.

I think it's just a matter of preference... I'm sure those sewer pipes that some people have sound awesome -- to them. Me, I can live without it... freedom of choice is great.

Good luck with your search though... I didn't even know they had cars in Utah.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:41 PM

We (Utah) have just discovered the combustion engine and the wonderful benefits it does for transportation of our multiple wives. I like the G/FX sound, but I've put over 4000 miles on my car this month and if the constant hum (no pun intended) is a problem I'll have to pass.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:00 PM

We (Utah) have just discovered the combustion engine and the wonderful benefits it does for transportation of our multiple wives. I like the G/FX sound, but I've put over 4000 miles on my car this month and if the constant hum (no pun intended) is a problem I'll have to pass.

I get a growl no hum occassional drone ...Will let you have the Multiple wives one is enough .....more then ....
Old 09-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I just did my first mod to my 2005 SL. I got Magnaflows 14830, and had my buddy remove the stock resonator and just put a smaller resonator on it. I like the sound but its not loud enough for me, so tomorrow im gonna have him remove the resonator completly. I think it will add the "muscular" sound that Im looking for.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Cheers!

Yes, The original mufflers. My muffler shop guy told me that you don't always gain HP by changing the mufflers....it has more to do with everything in front of it. Plus I like the look of the original mufflers. And like I said before I love the sound at both idle and hi revs. After a couple of weeks the mufflers kind of "tune-in".

I just wonder what it will sound like with the Y Pipe....
Old 09-29-2005, 09:58 AM

Yes, The original mufflers. My muffler shop guy told me that you don't always gain HP by changing the mufflers....it has more to do with everything in front of it.
I agree. The mufflers are not the point of restriction here.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:27 PM
RVC

I just want my Max to sound better, I am not looking for performance upgrades. So can I just have my resinator taken out and throw a set of magnaflows on it and it will sound nice, or do I have to go with the cat back system to get a nice throaty sound?

Old 10-05-2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by RVC
I just want my Max to sound better, I am not looking for performance upgrades. So can I just have my resinator taken out and throw a set of magnaflows on it and it will sound nice, or do I have to go with the cat back system to get a nice throaty sound?

As long as they are straight thur type mufflers you will get a lovely sound unfortunately you will get a preformance improvement as well ...
Old 10-06-2005, 07:33 AM
RVC

Thanks...I don't mind the performance improvement but that's not my main goal. I just got a speeding ticket in it the other day
Old 10-06-2005, 08:32 AM

I think its better to get a properly designed exhaust system rather then hacking up the stock system. It may eventually cost more to get a hacked up system rather than one thats already made for the car. Another advantage is that when it comes time to sell your car, your car is more marketable if you have the stock parts available for reinstallation.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 PM

Exhuast question

I'm probably going to be shot at for this thread....but which exhuast system produces more gains/better sound...greedy or the cattman?

Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Newbie just Registered

I've heard both and both sound good. Other than the tips, I think the specs are very similar. Just the matter of which you like better, IMO.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:16 AM
GrandPa

Not another exhaust thread. Please check the stickies for exhausts, intake systems and y-pipes or do a search. This one is on me. Check this out.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=exhaust

To do searches you have to be a donating member which costs 20 dollars.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:22 AM

thanks, and i know i didnt wanna do it but im about to purchase.

btw i always seen thing about donating, just realized its on the top of my screen on how to do it...ill stop being cheap now.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:41 AM
GrandPa

I f you want some time next week week during the daytime I will meet you and you can here my Greddy. Let me know. I live in Bay Ridge.

Warren
Old 12-09-2005, 05:02 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

warren where in bay ridge are you? im a bensonhurst/gravesend kid ave u and west 6th now a floridian and maybe soon to be a texan?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:51 PM

i'm near 86 street & ft hamilton.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 PM

If you come to So Cal you can hear my awesome Cattman exhaust!!
Old 12-10-2005, 04:27 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by MAXDOUT04
warren where in bay ridge are you? im a bensonhurst/gravesend kid ave u and west 6th now a floridian and maybe soon to be a texan?

92nd and Shore Road.

I will be driving down to Plantation near the end of the month.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Deus - One of these day I will find you in Upland - we live to bump into each other - Do want to here your exhaust.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:47 PM

im gravezend bensonhurst myself, ave x east second area, just moved by cropsey though after 21 years of gravezend. Also had a house in clearwater FL.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalMax05
Deus - One of these day I will find you in Upland - we live to bump into each other - Do want to here your exhaust.
Same here, I really want to hear what your exhaust sounds like.

Quick Reply: Exhuast question