6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My 1st 6th gen experience!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

My 1st 6th gen experience!

I just got to Florida for a mini vacation on Tuesday & i rented a car in the process. I wanted a full-size car, and all they had was a crappy Ford Taurus. As soon as i unlocked the doors to load the luggage - a gorgeous blk '06 Max pulls into the rental place to get returned! To make a long story short, i went back in, changed all the paperwork & thanks to being a sam's club member, i paid only an extra $15 a day (instead of an extra $35) to drive this beauty. (Thank God my gf understands my car sickness and gave me no crap whatsoever).
I've been driving it for the past 3 days and i love it. It looks great, the interior and trunk are VERY spacious, and it's really quick (not quite as quick as my old '02 6-speed though).
The 6th gen has been growing on me more ever since it came out. Although i wsa a little negative about them initially, this experience makes take back any of those comments.
Great car guys!
George
Old 01-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey thanks.. I was the same way.. I NEVER, EVER thought i would catch myself dead in this when i first saw it, and continued to view it as a pourly designed vehicle(exterior). Stock it still has that negative appeal. But as soon as i got into this baby, i was amazed by its speed and feel. Still today it amazes me.. I raced a Bee'mer the other day (i was pissed), and the driver of the BMW was freaked out when i pulled past him. I wasnt even trying the first time, but by the third light (night time, no one around but us) he didnt even try, and we were cruising next to one another, i guess in respect and awe. I dont condone street racing, i was pissed at someone and i was just trying to get home in the middle of the night. HAd a little street rage.. sorry..

But back on topic, i love this car, more and more everyday, and others say the same. I just tinted it this last week, and man does it make a difference over stock. Having it stock doesnt appeal to me at all, and its not the best looking car. But after seeing some with body kits, and other mods it just makes the car better than having it stock. But, the only reason i got it was the gas milage, spacious, and being able to mod it. No offense to the ones that keep it stock, its a personal preference. The car looks jacked up in the front, which was my first turnoff, that is the grill, and the way the wheels look like they are lifted. Cant stand it still today. I have been looking for the best type of drop for a while...All and all, its a great all over vehicle, just needs some adjustments to help it out a little. Thanks God you didnt have to drive that crappy Taurus, i would have gotten car sick myself, and i am happy you got o test out the 6th Gen.. Take care, and hopefully you will have the change to do it again, and again, and, well....you know..
Old 01-06-2006, 07:04 PM
MDS

aliti19, your comments about the Maxima are very kind. I noticed that you drive a 2002 Lexus GS 430. That is a very fine road machine. I'm curious, how would you compare the 6th gen Maxima to the rear drive, V8 GS?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
Hey thanks.. I was the same way.. I NEVER, EVER thought i would catch myself dead in this when i first saw it, and continued to view it as a pourly designed vehicle(exterior). Stock it still has that negative appeal. But as soon as i got into this baby, i was amazed by its speed and feel. Still today it amazes me.. I raced a Bee'mer the other day (i was pissed), and the driver of the BMW was freaked out when i pulled past him. I wasnt even trying the first time, but by the third light (night time, no one around but us) he didnt even try, and we were cruising next to one another, i guess in respect and awe. I dont condone street racing, i was pissed at someone and i was just trying to get home in the middle of the night. HAd a little street rage.. sorry..

But back on topic, i love this car, more and more everyday, and others say the same. I just tinted it this last week, and man does it make a difference over stock. Having it stock doesnt appeal to me at all, and its not the best looking car. But after seeing some with body kits, and other mods it just makes the car better than having it stock. But, the only reason i got it was the gas milage, spacious, and being able to mod it. No offense to the ones that keep it stock, its a personal preference. The car looks jacked up in the front, which was my first turnoff, that is the grill, and the way the wheels look like they are lifted. Cant stand it still today. I have been looking for the best type of drop for a while...All and all, its a great all over vehicle, just needs some adjustments to help it out a little. Thanks God you didnt have to drive that crappy Taurus, i would have gotten car sick myself, and i am happy you got o test out the 6th Gen.. Take care, and hopefully you will have the change to do it again, and again, and, well....you know..

I feel that the maxima is a beautifully designed car. I love the way it looks, I always have ever since I seen it for the first time. The rear end is my favorite part of it, it is so slick looking and I love the dual quad exausts. I am very happy I bought this and even though I loved it when it first came out, I still love it more and more each day and I never get bored driving it!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by aliti19
it's really quick (not quite as quick as my old '02 6-speed though).
So what proof do you have to back up the above statement? I have been spanking lots of 02's with my Auto ... Anyway, cool write up, glad some people are finally getting it!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:33 AM

it's really quick (not quite as quick as my old '02 6-speed though).

So what proof do you have to back up the above statement? I have been spanking lots of 02's with my Auto ... Anyway, cool write up, glad some people are finally getting it!!!
I thought it was just me. My '02 Max seemed to have been faster as well even though it supposedly has 10 hp less. I also didnt lag at getting up to speed like like my '06 does now. I still love my Onyx Max though and wouldn't change anything about it...even the grille
Old 01-07-2006, 04:20 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I first saw the 6th gen being driven by a woman who had the skyview roof. I told my girl that it was a slick looking car. She looked at me and said "it looks fast" (women). I thought the skyview was a neat thing until I got to the dealer and found that it doesn't open. Then there was the test drive needless to say I was sold. I had to get the sunroof though I like driving in the summer with the roof open. I ride bikes so it's about as close as I can get to my gixxer without riding it. Glad you liked it. Of course when I pulled up with it my girl asked "what took you so long". Then she wanted to drive it.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by MDS
aliti19, your comments about the Maxima are very kind. I noticed that you drive a 2002 Lexus GS 430. That is a very fine road machine. I'm curious, how would you compare the 6th gen Maxima to the rear drive, V8 GS?
Honestly, the only thing i miss from my '02 is the 6-speed and the heated steering wheel. The 6th gen definately handles better than my old Max (except my '94 SE), but it feels just a little bit slower off the line. (I'm sure the 6-speed has a lot to do with it.) The GS does everything my max did, multiplied by 100. It's just an amazing car. I'm not knocking Maximas (i've had 3), but the GS is just unreal.

Chernmax - i'm comparing stock to stock 6th gen vs a 6-speed '02.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:19 AM

Honestly, the only thing i miss from my '02 is the 6-speed and the heated steering wheel. The 6th gen definately handles better than my old Max (except my '94 SE), but it feels just a little bit slower off the line. (I'm sure the 6-speed has a lot to do with it.) The GS does everything my max did, multiplied by 100. It's just an amazing car. I'm not knocking Maximas (i've had 3), but the GS is just unreal.

Chernmax - i'm comparing stock to stock 6th gen vs a 6-speed '02.
I pretty much figured that, I was just messin with you, actually in the end, I really have respect for all Gen's. To many fly rides to be hatin...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 PM

I have own various Nissan cars throughtout the years, but this is my first Max. Previously I had a '03 Audi A4 1.8T, 5SPD, chipped. I have to say, my Max has a lot more features. Is a lot faster then the Audi..even chipped. But, my SL does not handle as good as my quattro. The car just felt tighter. I got it up to 130 mph and it was solid. The Max I have had now for 2 1/2 months, I have had up to 115 and it was a little lose. The torque steer is a lot too. But, when I get out of it and walk away, turn around slightly to see my black ride and I smile. I love the car. I just need to tighten up the suspension a bit. Other then that, this car rocks.

By the way, yesterday was one of the times I got it up to 115. I was on the highwaydoing about 80 and I see a bright Yellow '06 911 Turbo coming down the on ramp. I can see the guy is moving..so I punch it. He sees me and nails the car. I look down, speedo is 115 and the 911 takes off like I was standing still. He easily hit 140. At that time my wife says, "uh, don't you think you should slow down, you can beat that car". Which I knew, but it was fun none the less.

E
Old 01-07-2006, 03:32 PM

at least you got to test drive one. i just purchased one back in november and its supposed to be here in february. dealer said around the 2nd week. my wife and i decided on a lincoln ls and a friend of mine that works at the dealership told me they were junk and take a look at the maximas. so my wife test drove the lincoln, cadillac, accord, tl and camry and fell in love with the maxima. so now im waiting in great anticipation to see pics of our new car. i wont see it physically until july becuase im in iraq so i have to live my experiences through this great site and what she tells me. but i think that i made a great decision on the max now if she lets me get my car im in the house.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Erock1500
I have own various Nissan cars throughtout the years, but this is my first Max. Previously I had a '03 Audi A4 1.8T, 5SPD, chipped. I have to say, my Max has a lot more features. Is a lot faster then the Audi..even chipped. But, my SL does not handle as good as my quattro. The car just felt tighter. I got it up to 130 mph and it was solid. The Max I have had now for 2 1/2 months, I have had up to 115 and it was a little lose. The torque steer is a lot too. But, when I get out of it and walk away, turn around slightly to see my black ride and I smile. I love the car. I just need to tighten up the suspension a bit. Other then that, this car rocks.

By the way, yesterday was one of the times I got it up to 115. I was on the highwaydoing about 80 and I see a bright Yellow '06 911 Turbo coming down the on ramp. I can see the guy is moving..so I punch it. He sees me and nails the car. I look down, speedo is 115 and the 911 takes off like I was standing still. He easily hit 140. At that time my wife says, "uh, don't you think you should slow down, you can beat that car". Which I knew, but it was fun none the less.

E
Great info and feedback, the Org is also very strict on racing. Posting illegal speeding has gotten other members banned. You may want to keep that type of info on the down low. Welcome to the Org and drive safe...
Old 01-07-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by dirtyo2000
at least you got to test drive one. i just purchased one back in november and its supposed to be here in february. dealer said around the 2nd week. my wife and i decided on a lincoln ls and a friend of mine that works at the dealership told me they were junk and take a look at the maximas. so my wife test drove the lincoln, cadillac, accord, tl and camry and fell in love with the maxima. so now im waiting in great anticipation to see pics of our new car. i wont see it physically until july becuase im in iraq so i have to live my experiences through this great site and what she tells me. but i think that i made a great decision on the max now if she lets me get my car im in the house.
Congrats on the new Max, you will love it. Be safe in Iraq, I know what deployment and separation are like. I'm retired Navy (24 Years). Good luck and god speed...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:40 AM

....I loved this car from the first day I saw it. Only part that had to grow on me was the trunk side but the more I looked at it the more I realized it was particularly made like I like my women, with big back sides . Anyways. I remember when I test drove the car, omg, to go 20 minutes before driving a '92 Sentra (my old car before the Maxima) to this V6 powerhouse . I was nervous to tell you the truth because of the excessive torque steer at first. Found myself wrestling with the steering wheel.

I got the car when it wasn't as seen on the streets as it is now so back than I got a whole lot of more compliments/looks. Regardless even until this day when a female sees this car as someone already mentioned they assume it's a very fast car. They're impressed even more once they get in the car. Interior looks (with Navi) and than just the power that they already had assumed it had. Needless to say my Maxima has gotten me acquainted with many members from the opposite sex. What a chick magnet. Hahaha

Old 01-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by chernmax
Ditto.

I spanked quite a few myself.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:04 AM

This car seems to grow on everybody that drives it or sits in it. At first everybody thinks its an altima, well the SE anyways. But after they feel this thing like in the commercial just touch the damn thing they feel all the beauty and power.
Even the that jagged chipped tooth grille grew on me, or maybe im just too damn cheap to change it out. But i do agree on the tint aspect, it really helps on the look of the car. Even in the commercials when the max looks all sexy it has a dark tint. Stupid nissian should have gave it a little tint stock.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:49 AM

chernmax, thanks for the info. I did not know you could not post that.

E
Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by belal242
At first everybody thinks its an altima, well the SE anyways.
Please explain this??? Last I checked, the only difference in exterior looks between an SE or SL is the SE and SL emblem on the rear trunk lid. Oh and an SL has 17" tires.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Please explain this??? Last I checked, the only difference in exterior looks between an SE or SL is the SE and SL emblem on the rear trunk lid. Oh and an SL has 17" tires.

The SE looks more like the altima because of wheels. The SL wheels kinda gives the car a more distinguished look. My Girls father has the SL and he never gets the altima comment, i get it all the time with the SE and i can understand that stand point more. Just a thought though.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:49 PM

Well, i just got back from FL yesterday. It was kind of sad giving the car back. Best rental car i've ever had.
Since we can't talk about racing here, all i gotta say is that an Escalade and a newest gen Prelude got a nice view of the quad exhaust tips.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:12 PM

Well, i just got back from FL yesterday. It was kind of sad giving the car back. Best rental car i've ever had.
Since we can't talk about racing here, all i gotta say is that an Escalade and a newest gen Prelude got a nice view of the quad exhaust tips.
You are a gifted writer. I love sharing that profile of my ride with other vehicles...
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 AM

I think we may have a new person coming the 6th gen side, just make sure you tell your buddys in the 5th section, because im sick of their bashings
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 PM

As much as i don't want to admit it (even after 3 Maxes), i don't think i'll ever drive a Maxima again.
Lexus quality/reliabilty is just so amazing.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:20 PM
SuPeRmOd

As much as i don't want to admit it (even after 3 Maxes), i don't think i'll ever drive a Maxima again.
Lexus quality/reliabilty is just so amazing.
except the sludge boxes right?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
except the sludge boxes right?
Yup - i do miss the 6-speed, i have to admit.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 AM
SuPeRmOd

Yup - i do miss the 6-speed, i have to admit.
sludge not slush. you've heard nothing about the toyotas and lexus churning oil into sludge??
Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
sludge not slush. you've heard nothing about the toyotas and lexus churning oil into sludge??
Ohh, my bad, i read it wrong. That's more of an issue w/ the 6 cyl engines, not the V8.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:10 PM
SuPeRmOd

Ohh, my bad, i read it wrong. That's more of an issue w/ the 6 cyl engines, not the V8.
gotcha. nice to know.... well atleast for you
Old 01-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Also, that sludge usually tends to develp when careless owners forget to change their oil for a long period of time. Most people that follow the maintenance schedule prob won't have a sludge issue ever. I have a buddy that's a tech @ my local Lexus dealer, so i get all the scoop. hehehe
Old 02-03-2006, 05:05 PM

Minor sidenote: I just got my c.c. statement for the rental a few days ago & this is the 1st time i'm not b!tching about sending money out to the credit card company.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:55 AM

What car rental agency has Maximas?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wen through the same thing. I rented a 6th gen in Phoenix in Dec.I currently have a '90 Maxima. Now I'm looking for a used '05. The joy of a car payment.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by haasem
It was EZ-rent a car in Tampa. They don't advertise them, but they carry them as "specialty" vehicles. Last year they had a G35 as well.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:49 AM

The car i bought was a rental at first, they had it for a couple of months, and it looks like it never left the lot. 13 miles. then they sold it to a buyer which put 16K on it, and they in turn had it turned over because they couldnt affoard payment. Then to me.. YEAH!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by haasem
Enterprise. These are specialties, so you may need to ask. I travel to Austin a lot and they hardly have the Max on the lot. They have offices locally and you can order the car and they will deliver. Once I ordered a Cadillac and they ran out. So the guy drove me to a local Cadillac dealer and check one out of the lot, only had a couple hundred miles on it. I once rented a LS400. I think they also have cars that my creditcard can't cover the insurance (max=$100k in value).