6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Car is three months and need new windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Car is three months and need new windshield

Yes it's true. Driving down the highway and bang, a pebble hit my windshield. It started off as just a little mark in the windshield, but three days later it looks like the car was vandalized. So I called the insurance company and only to find out that I don't have glass coverage and I would have to meet my $500 deductible (that was a waist). Then I call the dealer to get a price quote and could not believe what I was told. $495 (windshield), $15 (molding) and $195 to install. I then called a glass place and was quoted $375 for everything. Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage if I were to go the cheaper way and have the glass place install it? I don't want a sloppy job. Besides the car is 2006 with less than 3k miles on it. What would you guys do?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

To my knowledge, dealer goes to glass place anyway. They don't install windshield glass themselves.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mroleg
To my knowledge, dealer goes to glass place anyway. They don't install windshield glass themselves.

WERD....
Old 02-24-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Smooth
WERD....
not really. I believe he has a valid point.

angelay2k: I suggest you make a few phonecalls to reputable windshield installers in your area and ask for a quote. Be sure to tell them that you're gonna pay for it yourself, not your insurance. I believe it's better to do it out-of-pocket than through insurance since your deductible is $500 anyway, just as long as it is a reputable windshield place. Hope this helps...
Old 02-24-2006, 01:58 PM

go to the most expensive place, ask them how much, if it is over $500 then go through insurance and then go to the most expensive/reputable place if you want the best job. thats what i would do...
Old 02-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No way the glass costs $500. I bought my glass from the dealership for ~$200 IIRC. I then had the dealership's auto body place install it... I don't remember exactly, but I think the total was around $300.

If your local dealer won't come down on the price. then call some other dealers in the area to see if they will (that, if you want the original glass - which I did).

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Cool Member

I had mine replaced in the first month, so yours is not so bad . I called my dealership and they recommend a glass place that they use. I don't know about cost because mine is covered by the insurance.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:45 PM

I think the $300 and change that you were quoted is realistic. Try Safelite.....they are contracted out through your insurance anyway. I agree to tell them that you are paying, I beleive it is cheaper that way also.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Banned

I have a replacement windshield from Safelite autoglass...can't be told from OEM..it leaked once and they put more glue in and it has not happened again.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:04 PM
GrandPa

I used Safelite on my last car and they did a good job. Add the glass coverage on your ins. Its ony a few dollars more and there is no deductible.

Stealerships always charge more. Today I had the wire harness in the drivers seat replaced due to the recall and a lady was getting molding around her from and rear bumpers. They charged her 134 dollars. I spoke to the guy who did the job and I am going to get iy done for 100 dollars. This guy is a vender that the dealer calls in to do the work.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Stealerships always want a cut of the pie because they are nothing but a middle man. To bring your car to them is free money that requires nothing more than dropping it off at the glass place and picking it up. Heres your inflated bill...
Old 02-25-2006, 03:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You should have looked around before clling your insurance.. Did you just ask if you had glass insurance, or did you tell them that you had to replace it? This will be on your record, and will effect your insurance. there was someome on here that this happened and he called about it, and told them the same thing you stated, and i beleive he was changing insurance co. and they asked if he had any problems and he said no. Thy asked about an open case with a broken windshield, and i forget the rest.. but from what i gather becareful what you tell them. I still have to call and see if i am covered, or ill take a good look at my mile long policy statement.. Good luck and i hope you get this fixed.. But i do agree that you should go to other dealerships and find someone tha wants your buisness, just talk bad about the other, taht seems to always work for me... LAter!!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:02 AM
GrandPa

If the did not give you a claim number it won't be on your record and if they did just let them know you had it fixed and it cost less than the 500 dollar deductible. They will cancel the claim and it won't be on your record. It happened to me when I ran over the retread tire. As long as they don't shell out any money you will be OK.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
You should have looked around before clling your insurance.. Did you just ask if you had glass insurance, or did you tell them that you had to replace it? This will be on your record, and will effect your insurance. there was someome on here that this happened and he called about it, and told them the same thing you stated, and i beleive he was changing insurance co. and they asked if he had any problems and he said no. Thy asked about an open case with a broken windshield, and i forget the rest.. but from what i gather becareful what you tell them. I still have to call and see if i am covered, or ill take a good look at my mile long policy statement.. Good luck and i hope you get this fixed.. But i do agree that you should go to other dealerships and find someone tha wants your buisness, just talk bad about the other, taht seems to always work for me... LAter!!!!
Thanks for the info. Yes, I did call the insurance company and I was very hesitate in calling because of fear of it effecting my insurance. I was then referred to a glass place that they highly recommend. I will take everyone's advise and shop around.