6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Technosquare ecu DYNO....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
yes, it costs about $900 for a brand new ECU
Hey, if you have the money then that would be a nice luxury. That said, I would spend $300 on a APEXi NEO instead and save the rest for the dyno and some fine tuning. All TS would ever do is adjust the A/F ratio for you. If you buy the NEO then you can learn to do that for yourself.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

The NEO is still made as it is their newest product of it's type. The SAFC/VAFC are not available on their site, but I'm sure otehr vendors will have one in stick.

If not there's dozens more car forums that will have one, since it is not Maxima specific. There's always eBay. I bet you could find one used in the classifieds here on maxima.org.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Light went out when I started car on the way back from school!!! FTMFW
Low input - ECU receiving low input voltage - short circuit, grounding
High input - ECU receiving high output voltage - open circuit - broken wire

On high or low input, NISSAN says to check for short and open circuit
Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Just to be 110% positive.............when the dealership swaps my TS ECU and reprograms the keys, they can't by some chance mess with anything that TS did to the ECu, can they?
If I remember correctly, the BCM also has a copy of the immobilizer encrypted key. The Consult-II copies this key to the new ECU to sync it up. No risk here.

If the dealer has to reflash your ECU to correct stalling or tranny shifting issues, etc then you will loose the TS flash. If you have a 2004 MAX, I would check the TSB's (nissanhelp.com) to be sure your model does not require any dealer reflash. Then, do the TS flash.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by briancopeland
My friend at the dealer told me this was a $900 part! Was he right? No way would I buy one new. Can't you find one at a junkyard or something? Still, what a pain in the butt! If the only thing TS has to do is adjust the A/F map (e.g. when you make mods) I would just buy a APEXi NEO or APEXi SFAII (perhaps Chernmax can tell us where he bought his as they don't make them any longer) and do the A/F yourself. Just a thought...

Oh, my "Service Engine Soon" went off today. Also, I found a Shell station near me that sells 100 octane gasoline. Before I fix the A/F I'm going to fill up on $5 gas juz for fun.

Yeah If I can find one for cheaper I will but the thing is that if I get one from a junk yard I will have to get it cloned or drive with the ECU program that is in the one from the junkyard. RH chime in at anytime to elaborate.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by shawndon
Yeah If I can find one for cheaper I will but the thing is that if I get one from a junk yard I will have to get it cloned or drive with the ECU program that is in the one from the junkyard. RH chime in at anytime to elaborate.
Do you know the numbers on your ECU?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
If I remember correctly, the BCM also has a copy of the immobilizer encrypted key. The Consult-II copies this key to the new ECU to sync it up. No risk here.

If the dealer has to reflash your ECU to correct stalling or tranny shifting issues, etc then you will loose the TS flash. If you have a 2004 MAX, I would check the TSB's (nissanhelp.com) to be sure your model does not require any dealer reflash. Then, do the TS flash.
............are you ****ting me? Why would there be issues with the transmission shifting wrong?.... What would it say on nissanhelp.com that would let me know if they have to reflash it or not? I'm going to myself if something gets screwed up here...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:00 PM
briancopeland

Ocassionally, there are warranty updates to the ECU programming. My wife's BMW gets a new program installed every time she even goes in for an oil change. That said, I know of no reason why Nissan would want to upate your ECU. However, I think our friend Madmik is correct in making sure that any of us who have paid $500 for the current program oun our ECU (from TS) never have it overrided by some dealer install to overcome some petty warranty issue. Best to ask, I guess, when doing any warranty service.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 PM

so basically, they shouldn't even do anything unless they tell me so, correct?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Newbie just Registered

To program key to ECU, they only need to get to the key encryption chip, nothing else. And if for some reason the dealer reflash your ECU, you'd be out $150 for another reflash; $500 if you don't.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
And if for some reason the dealer reflash your ECU, you'd be out $150 for another reflash; $500 if you don't.
That makes no sense...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Newbie just Registered

That makes no sense...
If you don't put up the $150 for the reflash once the dealer flash your TS ECU, you'd lose your $500 initial purchase.

Just check the TSB for the '04's that require ECU flashing. If you need it, get it done first since TS will only adjust the timing, throttle, A/F, etc.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM

installed.........................bottom end seems same, haven't tried mid-top end much, but neutral I get to redline to 7100! The tech hooked me up and only charged $105 labor for the ECU install since I shortened his work by taking everything off so it'd be easier.

I was freaking out when he went on a test drive because he was gone forever and I thought the ECU was bad and something happened to the motor.... lol
Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 PM
briancopeland

installed.........................bottom end seems same, haven't tried mid-top end much, but neutral I get to redline to 7100! The tech hooked me up and only charged $105 labor for the ECU install since I shortened his work by taking everything off so it'd be easier.

I was freaking out when he went on a test drive because he was gone forever and I thought the ECU was bad and something happened to the motor.... lol
Congrats! Now we can compare notes. Did he adjust the A/F for you or just verify the TS map was working well for you? When are you going to install your APEXi NEO? Have you figured out how to use it yet? RTFM yet, that is.

My car has actually been running better this week. Just took a trip to the store and let it loose in a tunnel. Sounded sweet with the CAI and Y-Pipe. I'm going to put some 100 octane in it tomorrow (half and half) and see what that does. Found a local Shell station that sells it at the pump. I also get my 07 spoiler put on tomorrow. I plan to drive the car a lot tomorrow, so it should be very informative. My tech will also check out the A/F situation for me.

Have FUN!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 06:02 PM

the dealership could adjust the AFR? And I'm not sure about the neo install......judging on how my dad freaked out and cried...about me having an intake
Old 03-16-2007, 06:22 PM
briancopeland

To be clear: The dealer most certainly CANNOT adjust the A/F. He CAN, however, tell me how lean I'm running, etc. I suspect that my ECU has done a bit of learning this past week. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on for a day and then went off, so something is going through it's mind ;-) He's just going to give me some insight as to what is going on.

I forget you're only 17 years old. If I were you're dad (my oldest son is 21, so I'm definitely old enough to be) I would let you get the NEO installed ;-) But, you'd have to mow the lawn all Summer long - just kidding.

ROCK ON, my young friend

Old 03-16-2007, 06:33 PM

I pay for all of my stuff though...with a job as a porter at Chevrolet
Old 03-16-2007, 06:37 PM

............are you ****ting me? Why would there be issues with the transmission shifting wrong?.... What would it say on nissanhelp.com that would let me know if they have to reflash it or not? I'm going to myself if something gets screwed up here...
TSB examples on NISSANHELP.com for 2004 models:
02115 - if DTC P0442 or P0456 code, for some models, ECU reprogramming
03067- if DTC P1274 or P1284, for some models, ECU reprogramming
04045 - 5 A/T - if tranny shift shock when cold, TCM and possibly ECU repro.
04028 - 5 A/T- If DTC P0131, P1051, P1148 or P1168, ECU reprogramming
04025, 04024, ECU reprogramming
Old 03-16-2007, 06:43 PM

Project,

where did you get the spare ECU from and how much??
Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 PM

I can sell you my stock ECU...make sure to find out what your #'s are though. If mine are different from yours, then no work!

My buddies dad owns his own shop and he managed to find a spare ECU for $350...oh well!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 PM

PM sent on that
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 PM

man this is so confuse can we get ECU reflash from TS with not problem at all or any one that have his ECU reflash will have some diferent problems????

Other question is HOW the APEXI NEO WORK ??? how you know if you getting more gas than air or more air than gas or whatever we need that APEXI?? do we need to run the dyno first to know what to do with apexi or it can read what we need to do someeeeeeeeee body explain meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all thissssssssssssssssss pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee very slow and clear jajamy english S**K
Old 03-16-2007, 09:27 PM

brian i don't like your sing if i'm asking is because i don't know so relax and take it easy
Old 03-16-2007, 10:04 PM

he probably was raping the **** out of it.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:47 AM

Would Technosquare not have a list of A/F ratios with the usual mods yet? Shouldn't we be able to get an ECU that is more suited to the mods on the car than just their base reflash by now?

CM.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

All the posts I post about the NEO trying to help you guys & gals, and no one ever sees them. . I'm about ready to give up...
Old 03-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Would Technosquare not have a list of A/F ratios with the usual mods yet? Shouldn't we be able to get an ECU that is more suited to the mods on the car than just their base reflash by now?

CM.

I wonder how many 6th gens had a reflashed?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
All the posts I post about the NEO trying to help you guys & gals, and no one ever sees them. . I'm about ready to give up...
Pointers to a write up on how to install? What's involved etc.... with pictures.

Everyone says get an AFC but there is very little info out there on installing one specifically for the 6th gen.

CM
Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 AM

neutral I get to redline to 7100!
Nice way to blow it up.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Pointers to a write up on how to install? What's involved etc.... with pictures.

Everyone says get an AFC but there is very little info out there on installing one specifically for the 6th gen.

CM
The info is out there. Spend some time outside of this forum and you'll find it.

The wiring is the same across the board for any AFC, since they all are after the same signal.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...postcount=1441
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...postcount=1441
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=116
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=463936
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=116
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=466165
Old 03-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by shawndon
Project,

where did you get the spare ECU from and how much??
I got mine from www.car-parts.com . $150 + shipping.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:09 PM
briancopeland

CM.
They claim they do and ask you to list out your mods when you send your ECU in to them. That said, they admitted to me that they haven't done that many 6th generation Maximas. Why my ECU would come back and be running SO lean is beyond me. Perhaps they're being over optimistic regarding the effects of a CAI and Y-pipe (the relevant mods I told them about). In all fairness to them they will probably adjust if for free under warranty the first week or so, but that doesn't help me when they're clear across the country.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:20 PM

http://www.unichip.us/Dealer/Docs/Un...ide%202006.pdf
I think this would be cool for a modded Max. Lots of adjustments and I love that bluetooth link to a PDA. I already sent an email to them asking them to make a plug and play for the Max. Maybe if a bunch of requests came in at once they would do it. They aready do the Z so it can't be that much more to do. I like the idea that the setting can be changed so when you do a mod you can continue to correct any fueling issues.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:44 PM

good found let us know what they said to you
Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 PM

right now I kind of feel like one of those "I think I feel some more power" people. We can't really find out if TS did what they were supposed; only thing you could is the redline, and other stuff you would either have to go all out and go over the governor, or get a dyno to see your AFR.

Maybe I need to give the ECU to "adjust" to my driving habits for the next few days and then it'll learn and perform better. Low end, is still about the same and mid I can feel a little difference, but top end seems almost the same if not a little sluggish...maybe I have to be a and test out the no governor?

Main fun thing is the 7100 redline. Holding the shifter down and then letting go so it could shift by itself...it takes a little practice so that you don't bounce the redline and bog the motor, but once you get it, 1-3 gear is
Old 03-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Newbie just Registered

right now I kind of feel like one of those "I think I feel some more power" people. We can't really find out if TS did what they were supposed; only thing you could is the redline, and other stuff you would either have to go all out and go over the governor, or get a dyno to see your AFR.

Maybe I need to give the ECU to "adjust" to my driving habits for the next few days and then it'll learn and perform better. Low end, is still about the same and mid I can feel a little difference, but top end seems almost the same if not a little sluggish...maybe I have to be a and test out the no governor?

Main fun thing is the 7100 redline. Holding the shifter down and then letting go so it could shift by itself...it takes a little practice so that you don't bounce the redline and bog the motor, but once you get it, 1-3 gear is
Just cut the TCS and step on it.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 PM

I don't have TCS or VDC lol
Old 03-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Newbie just Registered

I don't have TCS or VDC lol
Are you completely stock now?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:31 AM

no, I got to keep my Fujita and I have the TS flash
Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 AM

prjct,