6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

To all 6mt 6th gen folks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:27 PM

To all 6mt 6th gen folks!

This is something i've noticed recently. Most of the time my shifts are smooth as butter, but once in awhile I noticed switching from 2nd to 3rd my tranny/shifter makes a funny click. Sound like a little gear grind actually. Especially on shifts after 4k from 2nd to 3rd! I was wondering if any one of you have the same issue.

Also wanted to know if stealership would do anything to fix it or would they just say "duh dont shift after 4k"

Ohh and one more thing, whats up with the steering wheel shaking at 60mph? Is that normal?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by NitrousOxSys
This is something i've noticed recently. Most of the time my shifts are smooth as butter, but once in awhile I noticed switching from 2nd to 3rd my tranny/shifter makes a funny click. Sound like a little gear grind actually. Especially on shifts after 4k from 2nd to 3rd! I was wondering if any one of you have the same issue.

Also wanted to know if stealership would do anything to fix it or would they just say "duh dont shift after 4k"

Ohh and one more thing, whats up with the steering wheel shaking at 60mph? Is that normal?
When I first got my max, I really notice the click between shifts. Happens to me from 3rd to 4th gear as well, but it's not as loud. I drove another 6spd max, and it has the same problem. However, the symptom is alivated when I press my clutch down all the way.

So from my limited research, it seems Nissan's syncros are linkages are not as good as other manufacturers (Honda). Some members have fixed this problem by switching to Redline gear oil.

The shaking in your steering wheel is called a steering wheel shimmy. It is very common in Maxs, and refer to the TSB thread for a solution. It should be covered under your warranty though.

Ming
Old 03-03-2006, 03:05 AM
The "Other" project

Yes the trans normally shifts a little rough, I'm supprised that in the colder climate it is not really bad. My DTS changed the fluid in mine to Amsoil syncromesh gear lube and it has been shifting smooth as silk since......as far as the shimmy..see stickys at top of page
Old 03-03-2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by daves04smoke
Yes the trans normally shifts a little rough, I'm supprised that in the colder climate it is not really bad. My DTS changed the fluid in mine to Amsoil syncromesh gear lube and it has been shifting smooth as silk since......as far as the shimmy..see stickys at top of page
I'm thinking of getting my tranny oil changed as well. What viscosity did you go with???

Also, do you know if Amsoil works better than the Redline product??
Old 03-03-2006, 05:34 AM

I know amsoil engine oil is absolutely awsome. I havent put it into my car yet, but a friend of mine put it in his boat engines and had to idle them down 200 rpms
Old 03-03-2006, 07:39 AM

The shift on my ride has always had a 'notchy' feeling, definitely not smooth like many other car i've driven.

As far as your shimmy, which i've had/have was addressed by having TSB-04084 or 04085 applied (not sure which Nissan references), but it DEFINITELY corrected the problem. My car however has been back twice for the steering adjustment on that TSB (going back again a third time), but you should be covered under your 3/36.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by majestic_maxi
The shift on my ride has always had a 'notchy' feeling, definitely not smooth like many other car i've driven.

As far as your shimmy, which i've had/have was addressed by having TSB-04084 or 04085 applied (not sure which Nissan references), but it DEFINITELY corrected the problem. My car however has been back twice for the steering adjustment on that TSB (going back again a third time), but you should be covered under your 3/36.
How does your clutch feel? Mine feels very tight, and have very short range of engagement. Also, there is a click when I press my clutch down the first 1/3 of the way.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:10 PM

ya I get the click as well. My trans has always been notchy but not so much after I had the fluid changed. Im switching to redline mt90 soon and ive read it helps a lot with the notchyness.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
ya I get the click as well. My trans has always been notchy but not so much after I had the fluid changed. Im switching to redline mt90 soon and ive read it helps a lot with the notchyness.
Let me/us know how that mt90 works out... i'll have to be changing mine here shortly as well.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:59 PM

This is something i've noticed recently. Most of the time my shifts are smooth as butter, but once in awhile I noticed switching from 2nd to 3rd my tranny/shifter makes a funny click. Sound like a little gear grind actually.
I drive a 5SP AT. usually when ever i get down to about 20mph the transmission shifts down from 3rd to 2nd and if at that moment i give some gas it seems like the car slips then clunks into gear, really hard to describe..
Old 03-03-2006, 04:47 PM
The "Other" project

the amsoil helped out the notchy feeling quite a bit, Macmimg I believe that he put in 10/30 syncromesh the only thing that I can say is it was ABSOLUTELY horrible to get into gear and shifting was a challange, but I noticed an immediate difference when the lube was changed, even in the dealer parking lot before I left.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by tototee999
I drive a 5SP AT. usually when ever i get down to about 20mph the transmission shifts down from 3rd to 2nd and if at that moment i give some gas it seems like the car slips then clunks into gear, really hard to describe..

HAHA I know exactly what you're talking about. I thought I was the only one who noticed this. I rented an 06 and it would do that alot. They have been doing this since the 3rd gens. My 91 does it all the time. It almost feels like its between gears when you hit the gas. I think it's normal.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by macming
How does your clutch feel? Mine feels very tight, and have very short range of engagement. Also, there is a click when I press my clutch down the first 1/3 of the way.
My clutch isn't tight at all, somewhat loose, but my range of shifting is longer than i'd like (looking into a short throw). I can't say it's like rowing a boat, but longer than i'd like for shifting through the gears.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
I hate that click sound. When I let the clutch out, sometimes it creaks as well. Maybe I just need to lube it.

Keep me updated on the tranny fluid because I desperately need to get mine changed as well. The whole clutch & notchy tranny is kinda driving me crazy.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by macming
I'm thinking of getting my tranny oil changed as well. What viscosity did you go with???

Also, do you know if Amsoil works better than the Redline product??
Check out the Fluids & Lubes section of this site for details on changing your Manual Trannie fluid.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=225766

Read down in the first post to the link on changing fluid in 6-speeds. I found that link and the pictures very helpful when I changed mine.

Some Auto Trannie folks are wandering into this thread not realizing that the discussion here is about Manual Trannies and clutches. There is a thread for them too in Fluids and Lubes.

Amsoil has only had the correct spec fluid for our trannies for about 6 months. They discontinued it and then found there was a market for it and brought it back. I bought Redline last May and have been happy with it. You should be OK with either product.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This is weird, I didn't notice the same issue with the slight clunk from second to third until after I read this post. It almost sounds like the gears are too dry and need lubrication from second to third if that makes any sense. Mine only has 600 miles on it and I notice it already. Nothing else has reared it's ugly head yet and I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same issues. I took the car in for them to look at the drivers door not closing in -30 weather, and they fiddled with the box at the same time. Before that shifts up the box were hard to do, since they looked at it, my problem comes in when downshifting.

It's a lot smoother now, but until the box warms up it's very notchy. Going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd you close your eyes hoping to not to hear the crunching. I had to force it into 1st gear on a hill. Rolling uphill at walking pace the box refused to go from2nd into 1st. I heard a crunching noise and 1st was locked out. I had to come to a complete stop, roll back a bit and then I could re-engage 1st. Once the engine warms and the gearbox reaches its operational temp the entire attitude of the box changes and becomes usable.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:45 PM

So whats the tranny oil that I should buy? I'll prolly switch mine out at 15k (13500) now. Redline? Is there a certain name/number for it I'm gonna order it online. Thanks for all the inputs guys btw I really appreciate it!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:47 PM

These problems almost sound like the clutch is not completely disengaging. I have 44 K miles on my 6-speed and it shifts better with Redline synthetic fluid (changed at 30 K). The only problem I ever have with it: sometimes shifting into 1st when the car is still rolling slightly there is a clashing feeling.

I always downshift from 3rd to 2nd whenever I go to town (6 K feet elevation) from home (7.2 K feet elevation). I do this downshift when I go from a slight hill closer to home to a steeper section of that hill closer to town. I use both 3rd and 2nd gears to get engine breaking on that hill. I must admit that I double clutch this downshift because when 2nd gear is fully engaged the engine speed is about 2,700 RPM -- the engine speed I shoot for in my double clutch. Never have any problem with this downshift.

One of the reasons I wanted a 6-speed was to be able to use engine breaking without worring about overheating (wearing out) an auto trannie. This manual trannie continues to work for me doing that.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:09 PM

So whats the tranny oil that I should buy? I'll prolly switch mine out at 15k (13500) now. Redline? Is there a certain name/number for it I'm gonna order it online. Thanks for all the inputs guys btw I really appreciate it!
Go back to my earlier post (#15) and click on the Fluids & Lubes thread shown there. You only want to use GL 4 fluid. Do not use GL5 or GL 4-5 fluid -- they will damage your synchros. Both Amsoil and Redline offer GL 4 in the weight you need: 90 (or 75w90).

The link on that thread to changing fluid in a 6-speed shows good photos of what you will be doing. The hardest thing is to determine exactly which is the fill hole and the drain hole on your trannie. The pictures helped me do that. Also, be certain you have a long funnel to get the new fluid in your trannie.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 PM

To my best knowledge, you should run

Redline MT90 for average temp, and
Redline MTL for colder temps like in Canada

go to http://www.theoildepot.com for Redline products.

Ming