6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

300zx Brakes on 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I cant use stickers cuz the NISSAN logo is CAST INTO the caliper. I see no choice but to paint with hi temp paint.

Those brakes look like iron calipers, but they should fit. Only problem is paying for rotors that u cant use. Id wait for aluminum calipers and no rotors - just the calipers.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 PM

I bought some Hawk HPS pads for the calipers on ebay today. Im all ready for the adaptor kit!! When I tear it all apart, Ill take pics showing differences in the pads and the calipers. I will also weigh each to determine the difference in weight. I understand its about 5 lbs per caliper for a total of 10 lbs in unsprung weight. If I buy the 2 piece rotors, that will be another 10 lbs or more of unsprung weight (also rotating mass).
Old 04-23-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
WHat do u think is the best way to paint the NISSAN letters on my 300zx calipers? I want it to look good. Also, hard to find bronze hi temp paint.
mask it off and paint the letters black. Use a brush not spray but you more than likley already know that. I thing the black will make a nice statement.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Buy an artist brush and hand paint the black, with the letters being raised, should be fairly easy...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:16 PM

PROBLEM GUYS!!!!! The ZX pads are smaller than the Maxima pads!!! Check out this link for zx brakes: http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts...d+Parts+%3E%3E

Here is the link for the Maxima pads: http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts...d+Parts+%3E%3E

Note the dimensions of each pad!!! HELP!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:31 PM
.org extraordinaire

PROBLEM GUYS!!!!! The ZX pads are smaller than the Maxima pads!!! Check out this link for zx brakes: http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts...d+Parts+%3E%3E

Here is the link for the Maxima pads: http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts...d+Parts+%3E%3E

DEUS, in only 25 years old but do me a favour.

Place your left hand on the edge of a table palm down, now with your right hands edge (blade part) smack the top of your left hand.

Place your left hand on the edge of a table palm down, now with your right hand, place the palm on the top of the left hand. Now jump up in the air so that all the pressure from your right hands palm is transfered to the top of your left hand.

Which one felt like more pressure. The edge (blade part of hand) or palm? Imagine same effect on your pads against your rotors.

In the bigger pad you have less direct pressure and more places for gases to build up, in the smaller pad you have more direct pressure and less likeley to have gas build up.

Look at the pads for a Willwood Superlite 6 pot kit. The size is almost the same as the maxima, actually a little thinner and narrow. The point is the pad friction is applied to an even area with equal pressure 3 pistons per side. This in effect generates more braking force bacause the pad does not taper on one end as it would under a single piston design.

DEUS, its like totaly ok DUDE!!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:35 PM

Are You Sure????????
Old 04-24-2006, 08:39 AM
.org extraordinaire

Yes, go through the hawk website and see pad sizes, even Wilwood 6pot superlites are not as big as the Stock Maxima.

Kam
Old 04-26-2006, 10:21 PM

Adaptor kit is in!!!!Weather was too crummy to install. Ill shoot for tomorrow. Im still worried about the brakes being worse since pads are smaller. Ok ok Ill trust you guys.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Adaptor kit is in!!!!Weather was too crummy to install. Ill shoot for tomorrow. Im still worried about the brakes being worse since pads are smaller. Ok ok Ill trust you guys.
Don't trust me , I say leave your stocks on...
Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by chernmax
Don't trust me , I say leave your stocks on...
I say slap them on and enjoy the enhanced brakes. Believe u me! If they are bleeded properly they will rock, pad size dont matter squat.

Kam
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Boosted Panda

Props on the brake setup, 6th gen with Nissan 4 piston calipers is sweet!
When i painted my calipers, i shot them with Hi Temp gold paint, then went back with a small brush and painted the letters in black with Hi temp paint, then shot them with multiple coats of Hi Temp clear.

Im not sure what to say about the brake pads, you should be fine with the 300zx pads though. They may be thinner, but the clamping force of the 4 piston calipers will be plenty of stopping power.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:43 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Props on the brake setup, 6th gen with Nissan 4 piston calipers is sweet!
When i painted my calipers, i shot them with Hi Temp gold paint, then went back with a small brush and painted the letters in black with Hi temp paint, then shot them with multiple coats of Hi Temp clear.

Im not sure what to say about the brake pads, you should be fine with the 300zx pads though. They may be thinner, but the clamping force of the 4 piston calipers will be plenty of stopping power.
That looks pimp!
Did u feel an increased brake response and brake torque?
Kam
Old 04-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
That looks pimp!
Did u feel an increased brake response and brake torque?
Kam

They definately grab better, when i first did a test drive it was very easy to lock them up.
I went with 300zx rotors, not bigger in diameter but larger in width so they do dissapate heat better then the 4th gen rotors but i didnt gain any surface area.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:38 AM

The 300zx pads are about same thickness but they have a smaller surface area than the 6th Gen. That was my concern. But the increased clamping force is a point well taken. Also, the fact that the calipers are fixed instead of sliding is beneficial. The SS lines will also be added improvement in brake feel. This may even come down to asthetics. In other words, it may not improve braking much, but it certainly will look better.

FLAVA: Very sharp looking brake color combo. Love the gold and black look!!! I'll paint my letters bronze to match my bronze rims. Calipers are bright red.