6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear deck rattle fix...kinda ghetto but works wonders

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:14 AM
1993 SE

Rear deck rattle fix...kinda ghetto but works wonders

Ok, even after sound dampening was done to the trunk and rear deck, there was still an annoying buzzing rattle in the back.
I decided to fix it once and for all yesterday and the final result will prolly surprise you's. It turns out about 90% of the rear deck rattle is located where the deck insert meets the glass. In the middle... under the 3rd brake light. Even if you have all the factory clips in place, with sound deadener, it will still vibrate, also causing the 3rd brake housing to even hit the rear glass. SOLUTION: 1 big cable tie and a cordless drill.(yes drill puss...you want the sound gone or what?)
What To Do
take off rear floor sills
remove brake light housing
unclip wires to light
fold down seats
take off 6 bolts holding seat to frame

pull seats toward front and take off side pillar covers
lift off rear deck insert and slide onto seat backsupside down ( mine is held down remember-no pic)
It might be a good idea to remove most of the plastic skeleton underneath insert around the area and replace with some 3m foam thingys on the edges. I didnt, but just an after-thought.
If you havent put any sound deadener on your rear deck you can do it now.
Fun part now.... Put the insert back in place without securing it though. In the center of the brake light opening on the insert there will be a "bar" in the middle. You will drill a small hole on either side of this "bar" but first...
open the trunk and remove the liner. Line up by sight or touch where the holes will come into the trunk part and you will see exactly where holes should be drilled. If you drill the holes too close to the glass you will not be able to catch the cable tie from inside the trunk, as there will be a metal shroud in the way.
After drilling the holes, insert the cable tie into the hole from the trunk and into the opposite hole from in the car and secure it closed with pliers in the trunk
you might need to push on the deck liner to get a good clamp on a shorter cable tie.

All in all this will keep your rear deck from flapping against the deck(rattle) and keeps the brakelight from hittling against the glass and insert(mucho rattle)
after I put the joint back together ALL rattles are gone!! Can any 6th gen say that? Problem I have now is taillight rattle, but Im being VERY picky since nobody else hears it! My amp is turned up the way it should be, whereas before, I turned it down because of too much rattle. Um also my rear glass now looks like its gonna shatter from SPL. But NO rattle.
Im tired now...just thought Id share my experience. if you need pics let me know and I will go take a couple.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn I thought this was only a problem on the 02-03. Shame on nissan, shame on nissan.........
Old 05-02-2006, 11:20 AM
*moderator*

Wow sounds like a lot of work but I NEED to do this badly!!!! Thanks for the info!!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:51 AM

If the rattle is in the deck itself, drastic measures (such as swowlinc's) may be necessary.

My only rattle was the third brake light against the rear window. I put two tiny clear round plastic 'tab-cushions' (available at Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, hardware stores, etc) on the bottom two corners of the brakelight housing, where it was tapping against the glass, and have heard not a peep in the two years since.

As it turns out, that has been the only rattle in the two years I have owned my '04 SL. It is as quiet as a tomb in this car.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
1993 SE

Yeah....suction cups might do it. Im pretty sure it depends on what audio setup you have. My sunglasses holder is rattling so crazy even after putting a lil deadener in there,I leave it off. My friggin quarter panels, hood, spoiler and roof heaves in/out with the bass. Its kinda alot of work but most of it is just taking the seats n crap off.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by swowlinc
Ok, even after sound dampening was done to the trunk and rear deck, there was still an annoying buzzing rattle in the back.
I decided to fix it once and for all yesterday and the final result will prolly surprise you's. It turns out about 90% of the rear deck rattle is located where the deck insert meets the glass. In the middle... under the 3rd brake light. Even if you have all the factory clips in place, with sound deadener, it will still vibrate, also causing the 3rd brake housing to even hit the rear glass. SOLUTION: 1 big cable tie and a cordless drill.(yes drill puss...you want the sound gone or what?)
What To Do
remove brake light housing
unclip wires to light
fold down seats
take off 6 bolts holding seat to frame
take off rear floor sills
pull seats toward front and take off side pillar covers
lift off rear deck insert and slide onto seat backsupside down
It might be a good idea to remove most of the plastic skeleton underneath insert around the area and replace with some 3m foam thingys on the edges. I didnt, but just an after-thought.
If you havent put any sound deadener on your rear deck you can do it now.
Fun part now.... Put the insert back in place without securing it though. In the center of the brake light opening on the insert there will be a "bar" in the middle. You will drill a small hole on either side of this "bar" but first...
open the trunk and remove the liner. Line up by sight or touch where the holes will come into the trunk part and you will see exactly where holes should be drilled. If you drill the holes too close to the glass you will not be able to catch the cable tie from inside the trunk, as there will be a metal shroud in the way.
After drilling the holes, insert the cable tie into the hole from the trunk and into the opposite hole from in the car and secure it closed with pliers in the trunk
you might need to push on the deck liner to get a good clamp on a shorter cable tie.

All in all this will keep your rear deck from flapping against the deck(rattle) and keeps the brakelight from hittling against the glass and insert(mucho rattle)
after I put the joint back together ALL rattles are gone!! Can any 6th gen say that? Problem I have now is taillight rattle, but Im being VERY picky since nobody else hears it! My amp is turned up the way it should be, whereas before, I turned it down because of too much rattle. Um also my rear glass now looks like its gonna shatter from SPL. But NO rattle.
Im tired now...just thought Id share my experience. if you need pics let me know and I will go take a couple.
WOW!! I want to do this but not sure on how to remove the rear seats. If you could photo this procedure step by step I will paypal you $20 and ask for it to be stickied.

Kam
Old 05-02-2006, 05:01 PM
MadMax in The City

You might want to check with your dealer, there was actually a recall on that. The dealer fixed mine, free of charge and I haven't heard anything since.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 PM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by jamaxin97
You might want to check with your dealer, there was actually a recall on that. The dealer fixed mine, free of charge and I haven't heard anything since.
yea the recall info... and they say to cover the ribs on the underside with some adhesive foam or something. It wouldnt work for me. Do you have subs in your trunk ?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:22 PM

My solution were socks, clean ones stuffed in the gap.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:44 PM
MadMax in The City

yea the recall info... and they say to cover the ribs on the underside with some adhesive foam or something. It wouldnt work for me. Do you have subs in your trunk ?
Actually, I do. For some reason I'm now getting a rattle in the front over the glove compartment.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:59 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by jamaxin97
Actually, I do. For some reason I'm now getting a rattle in the front over the glove compartment.
Mine as well,sound like something near the windshield.

Faaaakin car I tell you, oh well at least it aint an Avalon.

Kam
Old 05-02-2006, 10:04 PM
*moderator*

I've done socks, foam around the rear brake light and I was fine until I got my new box and then all whole new group of rattles came on board. As swowlinc said it's where the deck insert meets the glass for me at least...
Old 05-03-2006, 04:03 AM
GrandPa

Thats alot of work. But its a good idea. The only rattle I hear and thats only when I am outside the car is the plate. I put some rubber back there and it helped a little. Any ideas how to fix this.

You really can't blame Nissan. They didn't know that ppl were were going to put all this extra audio equipment in the trunk.

swowlinc how many amps are you pushing?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:50 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by ramberg
Thats alot of work. But its a good idea. The only rattle I hear and thats only when I am outside the car is the plate. I put some rubber back there and it helped a little. Any ideas how to fix this.

You really can't blame Nissan. They didn't know that ppl were were going to put all this extra audio equipment in the trunk.

I've tried to take off the license plate piece (the whole oval piece) and I couldn't get to all the bolts, a definite rattle culprut.

And as for Nissan not "knowing" that people were going to add systems is BS in my opinion. They have to know this, look at the history of the Maxima, it's defnitely an enthusiast car as well as a 4 door cruiser. If anything they should have taken extra steps just to make the cabin nice an quite either way...
Old 05-03-2006, 06:53 AM
1993 SE

Thats easy, just cut a square of sound deadener the shape of the tag, apply it to the back of tag and youre done.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I've tried to take off the license plate piece (the whole oval piece) and I couldn't get to all the bolts, a definite rattle culprut.

And as for Nissan not "knowing" that people were going to add systems is BS in my opinion. They have to know this, look at the history of the Maxima, it's defnitely an enthusiast car as well as a 4 door cruiser. If anything they should have taken extra steps just to make the cabin nice an quite either way...
That was a pita to get off. Nissan definately made taking that part off, hard. But with some tools and a McGuyver episode, you'll get it off. I got mine off and deadened that part too but I was all cut up afterwards.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:05 PM

When I first got my '07 SL, closing the trunk sounded like a death rattle because of the license plate. I bought a plain standard black plastic plate frame, applied small round soft plastic 'bumpers' to both bottom corners (on the side facing the car), and haven't heard the slightest sound since. Tight as a tick.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 PM
gec

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
When I first got my '07 SL.
Man I knew you had connections, but you got the 07 already...lol

Old 05-03-2006, 06:50 PM

I bought one of those clear plastic license plate covers. I had to force the plate into the notches, but it holds the plate secure once it's in. I also bought the security bolts for the license plates (really because they look cool with a pointed tip). The thread doesn't match the original screws, but it will screw in. I just tightned down the plastic cover flush against the car and there is absolutely no rattle.

I need to stop buyng mods so I can get a digital camera and take pics of these things...
Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 PM

Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 AM

gec - Yeah! I'm really digging this new '07 Maxima! . . . in my dreams.

That slip-up will teach this senile old geezer with a one-track mind to never post about one model year when his feeble brain is dreaming about another model year.

Speaking of the '07, I realize those 'in the know' say it will be July before we see them on dealer lots, but I would not be surprised to see them begin straggling in next month. We will see . . .
Old 05-04-2006, 03:00 PM
.org extraordinaire

Thanks Mang!!!

Kamski
Old 05-04-2006, 05:25 PM
.org extraordinaire

Can someone sticky this!!!! THATS AWESOME!! NISMO?? BlueMAX? Anyone?

Kam
Old 05-04-2006, 06:09 PM

good post....i guess i will have to remember this when i put my sub in.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:24 AM

what the hell are you guys running in your trunks? i've got a 15 with a kilowatt going to it and my rear deck doesn't rattle that bad. it's pretty damn solid back there.

but interesting fix non-the-less.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:49 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
what the hell are you guys running in your trunks? i've got a 15 with a kilowatt going to it and my rear deck doesn't rattle that bad. it's pretty damn solid back there.

Shoot, mine rattled a bit when it was stock...
I'm running the 10" JL's off a JL 300/1 amp.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:03 AM

the only main rattle i can hear is the license plate. but inside, i don't get much rattles at all. problem is, stuff will start to shake loose over time and become noise-makers
Old 05-05-2006, 07:04 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Why would you drill those parts together when you could purchase a barrier loader such as Second Skin Roadkill and use it to fill the gap?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:05 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Put 1 - 3 layers of sound deadener on the back of the plate.

Oh, and Warren...I wanna start get things rolling for your LED tails, hit me back.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:17 AM
*moderator*

Led Tails? Mmmm do us proud Metal Maxima!
And dampening is on the list, just haven't had time to get in there a rip all that stuff out to do it!!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 AM

what is that blue light in your head lights????
Old 05-05-2006, 07:49 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by AscendantMax

1500+ rms 2 L7's...Im gettin all the rattles anyone could have in this max...even the hood vibrates!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:52 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Why would you drill those parts together when you could purchase a barrier loader such as Second Skin Roadkill and use it to fill the gap?
I have no idea what you are talking about. What is a barrier loader. Is it like the foam stuff in a can? I can see some suggestions working for those with no system or a small one... but not everyone, so you might as well fix the whole damned thing.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:52 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by SmokedOutMaxi
what is that blue light in your head lights????
Those are purple led's...they look blue in all the pics though.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:56 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Led Tails? Mmmm do us proud Metal Maxima!

Yeah...I just need a donor tail in order to get this going, though...
Old 05-05-2006, 07:57 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I have no idea what you are talking about. What is a barrier loader. Is it like the foam stuff in a can? I can see some suggestions working for those with no system or a small one... but not everyone, so you might as well fix the whole damned thing.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=414337
Old 05-05-2006, 09:38 AM
1993 SE

OK! I didnt know it was called BARRIER LOADING . - Involves adding an acoustical absorber as to absorb sound waves from ambient noise (road, engine, wind, etc.). Great for ambient noise, somewhat effective in improving midbass. Foams work best for this application.
Miriam Webster is still on the jizzob
Old 05-05-2006, 09:39 AM
1993 SE

Yeah...I just need a donor tail in order to get this going, though...
Junkyard, Ebay, 2 crashed maxima's from the org maybe? post pics when youre done...
Old 05-07-2006, 02:30 AM

Just to throw my .02 in.....i put clear double sided sticky tape in betweent the window and break housing...i is kinda ghetto to do, but no one even notices is...but it completely stopped the rattle...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:43 PM

I only have 1 10" and a 400/1 and my 06 has started to develop some rattles already.

Thanks for the tip on how to fix this one.

Quick Reply: Rear deck rattle fix...kinda ghetto but works wonders