6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My encounter with an 07...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'm with you on most of that. The hooded thing would be okay, but it looks kinda "skimped", i.e., the hood just barely manages to cover the gauges. And of course, it isn't as unique as the old design.

The grille does look a little plasticky now, like you say. I like losing the tooth, but in exchange, we seem to have gone all black plastic.

The foglights seem kinda odd to me, since they're recessed into squarish holes in the rather chunky bumper shroud. Looks like a good placeto collect dirt and other road debris. Remember though that the cornering lights are now integrated into the headlight cluster, so they aren't gone.

Not all bad ... may just take a little getting used to.

Thank you Monotaur and Mike,

I wasn't aware that they were integrated........That's one more thing moved to the 'ok I like it' list......
Old 06-21-2006, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Great pictures. There is nothing there that I would trade my car in for.
Ramberg Sweetie,

There isn't anything there WORTH your car! Nissan has nothing on you.....

Swee
Old 06-21-2006, 04:50 AM
Banned

In 2003 I predicted 2010 for the 7th gen based on nissan maxima history. Of course this car is going to go got more than 1 model year. Id like to drive it, i kind of like the idea of a smooth CVT with no jerks, as long as the power is the same or better (and sounds like it is)
Old 06-21-2006, 05:05 AM

hmm, i gotta go test drive one. the audio side of me is making me wonder how aftermarket radios will be incorporated into the dash. good jobs with the pics!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:54 AM

nice pictures, good to see the real images and not the marketing ones...

My $0.02:

- The SE wheels look cheap, they do not quite keep the muscular look of the 04-06 SE model
- The hooded gauge cluster looks wierd with the partial cover - I'll stick with the 04-06 model, it looks way better than the 07 and it's unique too.
- Central Console...hmm...All the unique feel of the Maxima is lost. It looks like every other car...I agree, it's more stylish for some, but I think they lost the Maxima spirit with it. Again, I'll stick with the 04-06 style.
- I like the rear bumper and the exhausts and I like the rear wing - a bit too cocky though. I still prefer my lip.
- CVT - I would let it mature for a couple of years first (I know, Murano has it, but for me, that's a different animal) before moving away from the classical tranny. It might be better right off the bat, but that's just me, cautious...
Old 06-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The two 07 maximas' in South Carolina are located at **** Smith Nissan in Columbia, I am going to go by today after work for a test drive. I will let you all know about my experience.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

saying how solid the car felt with no squeeks and rattles is pretty funny....its a brand new car with maybe 15 miles on it...mine felt solid with no squeeks and ratles either when i first bought it. as far as trading my car in for it, it wouldnt do that either. Next car has to be infiniti or equal...i do love my max but the quality is certaintly not up to par.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:11 AM

Welcome Mymaxima,

And fellow SC-er also!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:23 AM

I like the 07 in every way except:

Power. 255 SAE is the same power as we have now. With the Altima coming with similar options, 265 hp SAE, lighter weight, what's the point of getting of a Maxima. It should have been 275 hp or so.

The wheels are a bit bland to me. Otherwise, it's bang on for me.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 AM

Well since everyone is in here making comments, I may as well add my 1.9 cents US or 2 cents Canadian! LOL!

1. I don't like that dash. It looks like ours but with a hat that doesn't fit properly.

2. I definately don't like the Grille...too sheepishly cheap lookin and not enough chrome.

3. I'm not a fan of CVT's and Nissan would have an uphill battle convincing me otherwise.

4. Centre console is weird: What a complete design failure! They tried in vain to integrate the same bose system found in other Japanese imports.
Chrome mixed with gun metal & other metal coloured plastics. It looks like they borowed elements from the G35 centre stack.

4.The wheels are just begging to be changed!

5.Rear Wing is Nice...but not for everyone.

Like a few of the members here I have modded my ride and continue to do so.
There is not enough in the 07 that to me says;"Go out and get one!"

Some of the members here and (you know you don't need any introductions)
have amazing set-ups! Your rides blow away that 07 easily and most other brands too! (Chuckle).

Went to my first Max meet on the week-end and it was quite fun. There were 15 of us with Max's from different years. I will post pics soon....I know I am guilty of Procrastinating....

XO
Old 06-21-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Nice write up, but I head from my Uncle who works for Nissan Corp. office in LA and he said the new Max will be an 09 Model and that they are going to run this "6.5" gen for 2 model years.

is he moving out my way?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM

That black with the chrome is tight (no bias). I like the previous center console more.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 PM
*moderator*

KC,
As MAXDOUT04 asked, are the tails even LED or are they the same as ours? If not then I have no idea what Nissan is thinking? I need to go by my dealer tonight and see if they got any in...
Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM
*moderator*

Actually just checked my dealers' website and it says they have 22 of them in stock. Highest price listed at $36,965...
I'll see if I can go check them out tonight.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:48 PM
KC's FINEST

Nothing changed in the tails.... The spoiler has a nice LED brake light though.
Didnt get a chance to get by there today, oh well.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Well since everyone is in here making comments, I may as well add my 1.9 cents US or 2 cents Canadian! LOL!

1. I don't like that dash. It looks like ours but with a hat that doesn't fit properly.

2. I definately don't like the Grille...too sheepishly cheap lookin and not enough chrome.

3. I'm not a fan of CVT's and Nissan would have an uphill battle convincing me otherwise.

4. Centre console is weird: What a complete design failure! They tried in vain to integrate the same bose system found in other Japanese imports.
Chrome mixed with gun metal & other metal coloured plastics. It looks like they borowed elements from the G35 centre stack.

4.The wheels are just begging to be changed!

5.Rear Wing is Nice...but not for everyone.

Like a few of the members here I have modded my ride and continue to do so.
There is not enough in the 07 that to me says;"Go out and get one!"

Some of the members here and (you know you don't need any introductions)
have amazing set-ups! Your rides blow away that 07 easily and most other brands too! (Chuckle).

Went to my first Max meet on the week-end and it was quite fun. There were 15 of us with Max's from different years. I will post pics soon....I know I am guilty of Procrastinating....

XO

I guess I'm one of those guys who doesnt' care a great deal for the wing... I really prefer the lip spoiler.

BTW, I'm in Montreal for a conference. I haven't had a chance to look around too much but from what I've seen it is very nice.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can get a 07 G-35 Sedan (6 speed Manual) for MSRP of about $36,000 (with premium package, Areo package and XM Radio), so that would equate to about $33,000 invoice if you have good negoiating skills. That is near equal to a Max SL in price with DPP package. I think I may go G-35 and eat balony sandwiches for the next year. At least I will have a far superior car and happiness without regret.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:52 PM

I think we have seen some good improvements in this 07 model and it is just a small step toward the total remake. The 09 will be an all new Max that has made the full move upscale and the Altima will inherit the 4DSC spot. This in no way denigrates the Max, we all must grow up some time and I guess that time is near for the Max. Nissan has not abandoned those who want 4 doors and the 6 speed, it is called the Altima SE-R. (I guess the way we are all leary of the CVT is the way my Dad was when automatics were becoming the norm over the 3 on the tree and the 4 on the floor, those are what real men drove.) Am I disappointed that the Max isn't the same as the one the legend was founded on? No. I love my Max and I think it is one of the sharpest cars on the road.

Thanks for posting the good pics of the 07.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Minarets
is he moving out my way?
Yes they were in TN a few weeks ago looking at homes as as matter of fact!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by emub00
nice pictures, good to see the real images and not the marketing ones...

My $0.02:

- The SE wheels look cheap, they do not quite keep the muscular look of the 04-06 SE model
- The hooded gauge cluster looks wierd with the partial cover - I'll stick with the 04-06 model, it looks way better than the 07 and it's unique too.
- Central Console...hmm...All the unique feel of the Maxima is lost. It looks like every other car...I agree, it's more stylish for some, but I think they lost the Maxima spirit with it. Again, I'll stick with the 04-06 style.
- I like the rear bumper and the exhausts and I like the rear wing - a bit too cocky though. I still prefer my lip.
- CVT - I would let it mature for a couple of years first (I know, Murano has it, but for me, that's a different animal) before moving away from the classical tranny. It might be better right off the bat, but that's just me, cautious...
I agree those wheels are pretty nasty looking
Old 06-21-2006, 05:58 PM

I like the new front bumper set-up and the new grille is an improvement on the old one IMO, but would still probably replace the grille with something aftermarket.

I agree with the comments about the dash. Hate the guage "hood".
Old 06-21-2006, 08:47 PM

Montreal?

Originally Posted by Monotaur
I guess I'm one of those guys who doesnt' care a great deal for the wing... I really prefer the lip spoiler.

BTW, I'm in Montreal for a conference. I haven't had a chance to look around too much but from what I've seen it is very nice.
Thank you! That's very nice of you to say that 'bout our city!
I would love to show you around. How long are you in for and where are you staying. I am great ambassador of this city. I love showing it off especially to my American friends!

Send me a private message and maybe we can hook up! Then you can also meet my Max too (LOL)!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Thank you! That's very nice of you to say that 'bout our city!
I would love to show you around. How long are you in for and where are you staying. I am great ambassador of this city. I love showing it off especially to my American friends!

Send me a private message and maybe we can hook up! Then you can also meet my Max too (LOL)!
YGPM. Unfortunately, I'm leaving early tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks though.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Nothing changed in the tails.... The spoiler has a nice LED brake light though.
Didnt get a chance to get by there today, oh well.

Lame move...
Old 06-21-2006, 10:15 PM

I went to my local Nissan dealer today to test drive the 2007 Maxima. The salesman pulled up a liquid silver Maxima with cloth interior for me to test drive. The seats felt a little more supportive on the side bolsters than prior Maximas. I liked the white-lit gauges over the orange gauges. I noticed that the tach and fuel/temp gauges are switched around. I did not like the climate control/ radio area in the center of the dash. The style made it look cheaper than my car. I did like the thing u carry around so when u approach the car u can unlock and start the car.

Driving impressions: The CVT is certainly "different." It drives kind of like a golf cart except the engine does shift up and down to some extent, its just very smooth. It feels much different than a standard automatic transmission. I actually liked the feel of it, but I am not sure I would buy one. I prefer my 6 speed manual, but the CVT felt better than I expected.

I did not like the look of the front. I saw an 07 parked next to an Altima and it looked waaay too much like an Altima. The rear spoiler is better than the lip spoiler, but not as nice as my WRX spoiler. The rims are rather ordinary as well. The stock SE rims from prior years looked much better

When I got back in my car, it was like home. I'm keeping my car.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:40 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Wow, great job with the pic's and write up...
Old 06-22-2006, 10:37 PM

Great pics and writeup.

Some thoughts on the '07:

I like the wheels on the '07 SE, but not quite as much as the ones on the '04-'06 SE. They almost remind me of the wheels on the '04-'06 SL.

I have really tried, but I do not like the wheels on the '07 SL. They look worse live than in the photos. Were I buying an '07 SL, I would either try to replace the wheels with a set of SE or SL wheels from an '04-'07, or opt for the very nice 19" X 8.5 Nismo wheels Nissan is pushing in the official 2007 Maxima brochure.

One nice detail - Both SE and SL wheels for '07 have argent valve stems and covers to match the wheels.

The '07 SEs are still carrying the same Goodyear tires, and the '07 SLs are still carrying the same Contis.

The '07 brochure (as well as the photos Nissan 'prereleased') show four flat boltheads strung across the rear bumper. These are clearly for cosmetic purposes, and add a touch of 'macho' to the rear. BUT: none of the '07s at my dealer have those boltheads. I even peeled the protective white plastic off the latest arrivals to check.

The '07 rear bumpers have a new flat black longitudinal slat across the bottom center. I checked and found these 'slats' are actually part of the big bumper, and are demarked only be being painted flat black. I personally like this slat, because it seems to make the rear bumper less 'bulbous'.

A few here have commented about the recurrance of the tail pipe misalignment problem with the '07s. I feel that may be incorrect. Nissan has changed the alignment of the tailpipes in that the inboard ones now protrude 3/4 of an inch further out than the outboard pipes, so it is almost impossible to get a true view of the alignment except by laying on the ground behind the car. The tips on the '07 tailpipes look MUCH better than the ones on the '04-'06 (which looked like a prize from a box of Capt Crunch).

I like the new ignition fob. As long as it is somewhere in one of your deep pockets, neither it nor the key itself need be touched. Approach the car with the key and fob in your pocket, simply push the button on the outside driver's door handle and open the door.

Then get in the car and turn the ignition switch and start the car, with the key and keyfob still buried somewhere in your pocket. No key is necessary to start the car.

Being able to start the engine remotely is also very nice.

My favorite 'contact' at my dealership said he was very impressed when he tested the Maxima CVT. He said it was much better than the Murano CVT (which he never liked), and felt it may actually outperform the 5 speed auto trannys on the '04-06 Maximas.

The Maxima CVT has three modes; sport, normal and economy. It also continually makes slight adjustments based on the way you drive. It 'mates' itself to you.

I have said all along that the major obstacle to the CVT is image and driving fun. We like what we are used to, even if there is something new that actually may outperform what we like.

The new Sonoma Sunset is very similar to the old Red Opulence.

The new Radiant Silver is very similar to the old Liquid Silver.

The new Dark Slate is very similar to the old Smoke.

The new Precision Grey is not as dark as the old Smoke.

The new Pebble Beach is a cross between the old Spirited Bronze and the old Coral Sand.

The new Super Black looks to be the same as the old Onyx.

Winter Frost and Majestic Blue are carried over unchanged.

I personally feel several colors were re-named simply to make the name sound more appealing.

My first thought when viewing the new grille was 'TL'. I'm not sure why; maybe the shape. I like the new grille on the SE, but not as much on the SL. By comparison, I liked the old grille on the SL, but not as much on the SE. I think that is because I associate 'blacked out' with muscle cars, performance cars, sports/sporty cars, etc (SE), and associate chrome with a more sedate or luxury image (SL).

When viewed from the driver's seat, the new 'hood' over the instruments is not very noticable. But when viewed from the front passenger seat, it made me wince. Not cool. But it probably reduces instrument glare very well. Most of the rest of the interior seemed to be somewhat improved over the '04-'06, especially in quality of materials.

I LOVE the new fogs down where they should have been all along. Down where the glare they create when hitting the closest fog droplets is below the level of the hood, and not blinding the driver. Foglights at headlight level serve little purpose. I feel the front view with lights (including fogs) on is now much more impressive.

And we still have the cornering lights, up at headlight level, up where they can see down into ditches, up where they belong.

I feel the overall image of the front of the '07 is more one of strength than the '04-'06, which had more of an image of luxury.

The new system of rating HP reduced the '07 number by ten, even though the engine still has the same power. But the new system of rating torque only reduced that number by 3, from 255 to 252. My friend at the dealer says the '07 feels stronger than the '06, but says that is probably a function of the CVT rather than a change in the engine.

Overall, I feel the '07 is an improvement over the '04-'06 in most ways. Were I in a position to choose whether to buy an '06 or an '07, I would definitely opt for the '07, with the intelligent key, lower fogs, low tire pressure warning system, less bulbous-appearing rear, stronger-looking front, better quality interior materials and nicer tailpipe tips being significant.

One other reason I would opt for the '07 would be the very reason many would opt for the '06: I understand the theoretical advantages of a CVT, feel it may be the tranny of the future, am hearing great things from those who have driven the '07 Maxima, and honestly believe it is already near the point where it will outperform a 5 speed auto tranny.

I certainly understand there are those who are not yet ready for the CVT. It is not something we currently would consider 'macho'. But, sooner or later, like it or not, the 'future' always seems to get here. And sooner or later, we all have to let go of the past.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:33 AM
KC's FINEST

Light, the "Boltholes" you spoke of are back-up sensors, nothing much for cosmetics.... Out of the 7 or 8 I saw they all had them.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

KC; did you ever listen to the Bose Stereo? Is it an improvement over 04 - 06? Has anyone who has the 04 -06 Max compared the speed (take off and mid range power) of the 07 and find the 07 quicker in anyway?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:05 PM

It just seems like such a shame that Nissan couldnt of spent a couple bucks more to get the grille right on the 07, instead of having the same grille as the quest altima and the rest of the cars. I mean it is supposed to be the flagship right???? I have had 3 max's in a row and would have for sure gotten an 07, but little stuff like that baffles me. Nissan is a great company and I have loved all my max's but everyday when I see one I'm dissapointed about this supposed flagship and now I have to break the string of max's because of small stuff like that. O well
Old 06-23-2006, 07:36 PM

The 07 are definetly hotter than the 06's. We have a black on black 07 SL elite package w/navi and it smokes any 06 I have played with. The CVT is incredible and the new exterior and interior treatments add a nice touch of class. I think I someone somewhere asking if the front ends could be switched out and they can, although it would be a pain(Hood, Headlights, Bumper, Grille, Fogs). And in case anyone has asked the horsepower is lower because of new testing standards.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

If i was still coming from a 96 taurus id still want an 07 max...considering i have an 04....and atleast from the initial walkaround....i gotta say im more impressed with the new camry se styling inside and out. I wouldnt get out of this for an 07, its just not enough of a difference for me. However If I was looking for a 6th gen id most likely get the 07 just because its the latest.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:07 PM

KCmaxx - So the rear bumper 'cosmetic macho fake boltheads' are actually back-up sensors!

Your info drove me back to the '07 brochure, where I find that the 'backup sonar system' is part of the Driver Preferred option package. I had no idea! That is definitely an added bonus for the '07s. We have had two children killed in backup accidents in their own driveway in recent weeks in the Atlanta area.

I am disappointed that my dealer ordered all his '07s without the Driver preferred package. I would never consider buying a Maxima without the DPP.

I want my Maxima with those macho boltheads on the . . . oops, those sonar sensors on the back bumper.

Thanks for the good info, KC.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:24 AM

no backup camera, what are they waiting for
Old 06-24-2006, 11:12 AM

I will say that the loaded up 07 camry is really nice, and thats what I meant about nissan making the "supposed flagship" more of a dramtic change for 07. The camry is going into lexus style. I did drive an 07 Lexus Es 350 and it stickers for about 3k more than the max(loaded without navi max) and honestly it is just so much smother and the interior is so well done and thought out that it isnt even close. Like I said above I still love my max, but the 07 should have been more revised. Although I really want the IS or GS they are just too much $$$$. I still dont understand why the 07 max has 10 less HP than mine....anyone know why?????
Old 06-24-2006, 12:21 PM

The camry got cheap and gimmicky for 07. The looks are all teutonic and overdone. The materials have gotten cheaper and cheaper over the years. I don't understand how it maintains it current leadership with those guidelines. Toyota is not what it used to be.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by willysmooo
I will say that the loaded up 07 camry is really nice, and thats what I meant about nissan making the "supposed flagship" more of a dramtic change for 07. The camry is going into lexus style. I did drive an 07 Lexus Es 350 and it stickers for about 3k more than the max(loaded without navi max) and honestly it is just so much smother and the interior is so well done and thought out that it isnt even close. Like I said above I still love my max, but the 07 should have been more revised. Although I really want the IS or GS they are just too much $$$$. I still dont understand why the 07 max has 10 less HP than mine....anyone know why?????
Yes, because the way engine output was rated has changed. The 2007's 255 HP is the EXACT SAME as your 2004/2005/2006's 265. There is absolutely no difference other than the way it was measured; they use the same engine.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:30 PM

Good call. Everyone will be forced at some point to lower the ratings.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Yes, because the way engine output was rated has changed. The 2007's 255 HP is the EXACT SAME as your 2004/2005/2006's 265. There is absolutely no difference other than the way it was measured; they use the same engine.
this is so true, there is no difference what so ever between these cars when it comes to the engine..

why do people think they are lower in power, I dunno..
Old 06-24-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
The camry got cheap and gimmicky for 07. The looks are all teutonic and overdone. The materials have gotten cheaper and cheaper over the years. I don't understand how it maintains it current leadership with those guidelines. Toyota is not what it used to be.
what do you expect from a company that wants to meet and exceed production numbers that Ford and GM are or where known for, I for 1 like knowing my car is being produced in limited numbers, the camry is now pumped out in the 400k range, do some searching, any company that increases production always has the same result, cheaper quality more problems that they never had before, just growing pains

Quick Reply: My encounter with an 07...