6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My encounter with an 07...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
KCmaxx - So the rear bumper 'cosmetic macho fake boltheads' are actually back-up sensors!

Your info drove me back to the '07 brochure, where I find that the 'backup sonar system' is part of the Driver Preferred option package. I had no idea! That is definitely an added bonus for the '07s. We have had two children killed in backup accidents in their own driveway in recent weeks in the Atlanta area.

I am disappointed that my dealer ordered all his '07s without the Driver preferred package. I would never consider buying a Maxima without the DPP.

I want my Maxima with those macho boltheads on the . . . oops, those sonar sensors on the back bumper.

Thanks for the good info, KC.
Naw, my 04' has these sensors. Its not new to the 07'

EDIT:....just let me say that unfortunatly, these won't stop people from hitting you while "they" park. I noticed a few weeks after having the car that the frame of some ****** licence plate is faintly imprinted on my *** end.....right between the sensors! Doh!!
Old 06-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by STARR
what do you expect from a company that wants to meet and exceed production numbers that Ford and GM are or where known for, I for 1 like knowing my car is being produced in limited numbers, the camry is now pumped out in the 400k range, do some searching, any company that increases production always has the same result, cheaper quality more problems that they never had before, just growing pains
Growing towards its demise. Just my opinion, but they will become number one and then screw themselves just like everyone else did at one time.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mikesima
Naw, my 04' has these sensors. Its not new to the 07'

EDIT:....just let me say that unfortunatly, these won't stop people from hitting you while "they" park. I noticed a few weeks after having the car that the frame of some ****** licence plate is faintly imprinted on my *** end.....right between the sensors! Doh!!
Hmm... I didn't know that any 2004-2006 Maxima offered rear parking sensors? Are these aftermarket?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I think I'm going to wait for the 7th gen. have 91k on my 5th gen and i still preffer it's more organic and unique stylings to the less and less characteristic shapes for the 07. MY call would be to blend the 5th and 6.5 together, using the organic muscular shoulders integrated to the sharp creases of the 6.5, lose the Saturn Ion look from the C-pillar back and more of a 5th-gen style, and use the 6.5 lower front facia and build into an R34-inspired grille with 5th gen Ti slats. take the interior materials in the 5th/6th gen and do something M-inspired but characteristically Maxima on the inside (i LOVED those suede inserts on the 6th gen doors) and i dunno, but i think im a fan of the 4-spoke wheel (maybe steal the one off the 07 Altima?) and get the 289hp tune of the VQ35DE in there with the 07 Altima revised tranny/half-shaft setup. oh and Shadow Chrome or Titanium Toned 7-spoke 18" rims please!! and of course i want to keep the 6-speed. if they have to dump it, at least give me nice alloy paddle shifters and open up some room on the center console.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:48 PM

One of my favorite things while driving is the raised armrest, I feel that it is very comfortable when in its raised position. Why would they remove this feature in the 07? I think thats retarded. I dont care how loose it gets after driving for a while (mine is very loose and I have an 04, I tried to do the fix to it that is in the stickys and it made it worse, going to take it to the dealer soon to get fixed.)
Old 06-24-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Hmm... I didn't know that any 2004-2006 Maxima offered rear parking sensors? Are these aftermarket?

I second that, I have NEVER seen a maxima with back up sensors.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
You can get a 07 G-35 Sedan (6 speed Manual) for MSRP of about $36,000 (with premium package, Areo package and XM Radio), so that would equate to about $33,000 invoice if you have good negoiating skills. That is near equal to a Max SL in price with DPP package.
This is another option to getting the Altima V6 with 6-speed (in 04 Altima only had a 5-speed and did not have the ride or styling of a Max). But for those of us who like the larger cabin in the Max (vs the G-35) and the luxury of the Max (vs the Altima), it still remains a downer.

I'll just drive my 04 until she gets old (and tired) before I have to make a decision. Maybe by then I'll be old enough and ready for an automatic trannie (or even a CVT) -- but don't bet on it. I'm only 66 years young now, and still like to shift those gears -- and the complete control a manual trannie gives me. I also don't like the heat problems that are supposed to plague the CVT, or even the heat that is generated in the 5-speed auto trannie on the earlier 6-Gens. Manuals are cool in many ways.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:59 PM
*moderator*

Well went and checked out the '07 today, I'm happy with my '04 for sure. I do like the new material where our suede is in the top of the line SL I sat in. The lower end SE had what looks like the same "suede" as ours. Another thing I like is the new rear bumper, if I don't go full body kit, that's one change I would possible make. I still can't believe that the Murano has LED's and they overlooked the Max!!! As for the interior, I'm impartial. I looks OK probably better than ours design wise but no good for aftermarket stereo fun. Intelligent key is cool and all models have side curtain airbags and TCS.

And as for the rear sensors, I've never seen or heard of a 04-06 6th gen with these, I saw them today on the car I looked at and they look like all the others I've sen on any car, just out of place and taking away from the clean lines of the bumper. I'll stick to the rear view cam.

Rear spoiler is pretty cool, but I'm not a spoiler guy anyways...

Ok that's all, can't wait to see the 7th gen, hopefully NIssan doesn't f--k it up too bad that I will have to switch to an Infiniti or something!!!

J
Old 06-25-2006, 12:36 AM

With regards to the sonar sensors being on the '04-'06 Maxima, Mikesima is either meaning the CANADIAN version of the Maxima, or is mistaken. The '07 is the first US Maxima to have them.

Willismoo - Nissan made about as many changes for '07 as I ever remember in any Maxima without changing generations. Considering the '07 is nothing more than an '04 tweaked to hold on until the seventh gen arrives in about 22 months, I am very impressed with the many changes/ improvements appearing in the '07.

And as for the '07 Camry, it seems to be a decent comparison with the 6th gen Maxima in a few areas, but not others. But it is totally unrealistic to expect the fourth year of a generation of one vehicle to surpass the new generation of another vehicle. When the seventh gen Maxima arrives, the Camry will once again be clearly a lesser vehicle than the Maxima.

I feel some here may be a little too quick to find fault with the Maxima. The Maxima is far from perfect, and some criticism is always justified. But the Maxima is what it is. Comparing it with high-end Camrys and Accords, or with the Avalon is fair enough.

But I feel it is somewhat unfair to compare the Maxima with luxury-class vehicles such as Lexus, Acura or Infinity. Also, to quote MSRP prices when comparing the Maxima with, say, the Acura is misleading. When I purchased my '04 SL, I was able to get $4,500 off MSRP. Neither my Infiniti dealer (G35) nor my Acura dealer (TL-Type S) would come that far off the vehicles I was looking at. I feel too much of the criticism here is either misguided, misplaced or uninformed.

But then perhaps I have been swayed by the absolutely perfect performance of my '04 Maxima. Or seen the heartache my poor son has had with the three trannies that have disassembled themselves in his TL-Type S.

In October, I will pass the 22 year mark owning nothing but Maximas. Were I not exceptionally satisfied with Maximas, I would not be owning them.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Nightmare = Reality

I honestly think they're still pushing the Maxima too far upmarket. When there's enough bloat on the pricetag to make us fans start to consider Acura TLs and Infinitis, Heck, you could even get a reasonably done BMW 3-series. True, its smaller and less HP to start, but you get RWD and a stick. Two thing we're not going to get on an 07. my 03 stickered at $28,500, and since the 6th gens were rolling in, i got invoice pricing + $2000off which gave me Altima pricing for a more stylish, powerful, luxurious car. The whole automotive industry is trying to move away from incentives, but if they really intend to do that sucessfully; I'd like to see an 07 SL start for $28-29k. Serious, nobody here im sure would care much about incentives if they could get the 07 SL w/ DPP for a spot over 30k, would they? Give the SE the cloth, the firmer suspension, and a standard 6-speed, and You'd have me hooked for $26-$28k.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:17 PM

With regards to the sonar sensors being on the '04-'06 Maxima, Mikesima is either meaning the CANADIAN version of the Maxima, or is mistaken. The '07 is the first US Maxima to have them.

Willismoo - Nissan made about as many changes for '07 as I ever remember in any Maxima without changing generations. Considering the '07 is nothing more than an '04 tweaked to hold on until the seventh gen arrives in about 22 months, I am very impressed with the many changes/ improvements appearing in the '07.

And as for the '07 Camry, it seems to be a decent comparison with the 6th gen Maxima in a few areas, but not others. But it is totally unrealistic to expect the fourth year of a generation of one vehicle to surpass the new generation of another vehicle. When the seventh gen Maxima arrives, the Camry will once again be clearly a lesser vehicle than the Maxima.

I feel some here may be a little too quick to find fault with the Maxima. The Maxima is far from perfect, and some criticism is always justified. But the Maxima is what it is. Comparing it with high-end Camrys and Accords, or with the Avalon is fair enough.

But I feel it is somewhat unfair to compare the Maxima with luxury-class vehicles such as Lexus, Acura or Infinity. Also, to quote MSRP prices when comparing the Maxima with, say, the Acura is misleading. When I purchased my '04 SL, I was able to get $4,500 off MSRP. Neither my Infiniti dealer (G35) nor my Acura dealer (TL-Type S) would come that far off the vehicles I was looking at. I feel too much of the criticism here is either misguided, misplaced or uninformed.

But then perhaps I have been swayed by the absolutely perfect performance of my '04 Maxima. Or seen the heartache my poor son has had with the three trannies that have disassembled themselves in his TL-Type S.

In October, I will pass the 22 year mark owning nothing but Maximas. Were I not exceptionally satisfied with Maximas, I would not be owning them.
Very well said lightonthehill. I think we all need to wait for more interaction with the 07, and until we actually know what the 7th generation will bring (rather than basing all of our conjecture on the 6.5 gen).

As a side note, I'm sorry to hear about your son's transmission problems. Has he still had problems after he received the redesigned transmission?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:32 PM

I went to Nissan with my dad today to see if there were any of the 07' Maxima's there, and what do you know?! There are three of them: Silver SL, Blue and Silver SE, both with spoilers, and I must say that the only things on teh car that I like better are the mufflers and the spoiler; that's it!

Everything else is either the same or worse imho. The whole front looks un-finished with those fog-light housings being all black, and the grill is smaller and goofier looking than our "tooth grills." And as for the rear bumper, I don't like how they did that black middle lip looking thing. The whole interior is basically the same except for a few minor things: the guages being covered like the Altimas, the center arm-rest being sturdier and not opening side-ways, and the biggest difference is the center screen, they sized it down too much if you ask me.

As for the price, it's pretty much the same: SL costing $35,400 fully-loaded and then an SE for $28,495 with minimal options. So for people looking to possibly go with a 7th gen, I honestly think that you should stay with the 6th gen's because it still has it's classy, sportiness and luxurious look to it, without making the exterior/some of the interior look un-finished or under thought by Nissan.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:48 PM

Some thoughts on the '07: . . . .

My favorite 'contact' at my dealership said he was very impressed when he tested the Maxima CVT. He said it was much better than the Murano CVT (which he never liked), and felt it may actually outperform the 5 speed auto trannys on the '04-06 Maximas.

The Maxima CVT has three modes; sport, normal and economy. It also continually makes slight adjustments based on the way you drive. It 'mates' itself to you.

I have said all along that the major obstacle to the CVT is image and driving fun. We like what we are used to, even if there is something new that actually may outperform what we like.

. . . I understand the theoretical advantages of a CVT, feel it may be the tranny of the future, am hearing great things from those who have driven the '07 Maxima, and honestly believe it is already near the point where it will outperform a 5 speed auto tranny.

I certainly understand there are those who are not yet ready for the CVT. It is not something we currently would consider 'macho'. But, sooner or later, like it or not, the 'future' always seems to get here. And sooner or later, we all have to let go of the past.
I'm a little slow in replying to light -- who usually gets all things correct. The quotes I have left from his earlier post are where I disagree with him.

I've heard that CVT's have heat problems (even worse than conventional automatic transmissions -- Nissan is now referring to a CVT as an "automatic transmission"). My last car with a conventinal auto trannie (Olds) crapped out in the 105 degree heat in central Missouri in the middle of July 2002. What will happen to heat plagued CVT's in similar circumstances?

I like to use my 6-speed manual trannie for engine braking every time I leave home (at 7200 feet elevation) and drive downhill to town (at about 6000 feet elevation). But doing that has a tendency to heat up the trannie -- particularly auto trannies. What would a CVT do trying to get engine braking? And what would the extra heat every day I'm home and driving do to this trannie? It might be cheaper to ride the brakes all the way down hill every day, if I had a CVT.

Sometimes the future is not all it is cracked up to be. In my case and for my driving circumstances, I will stick to manual trannies as long as I can get a reasonable vehicle (like a Max or an Altima) with one. I love shifting the gears and being in control -- not the computer on whatever auto trannie the vehicle manufacturer may want to put on the vehicle. Macho has nothing to do with my trannie preference -- it is all about control.

Different topic: I will be posting an article from "Automotive News" in the general discussion thread on this site. It talks about Nissan's recent sales problems -- but does not mention Maxima's at all.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....28#post5058428
Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 AM

Another road test for the 07'.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=151319

I personally don't like the rear bumper with all those retainers. Good job for the rest. I prefer the evolution path like they did, instead of any "redesign".

Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 AM

is the BOSE audio system any better? or the same system? i know since the G35 is getting re-hauled, maybe the Max got a little somthing better.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by madmik
Another road test for the 07'.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=151319

I personally don't like the rear bumper with all those retainers. Good job for the rest. I prefer the evolution path like they did, instead of any "redesign".

Those aren't retainers, they are backup sensors.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:35 PM

Yeah, it must be a Canadian thing then cause they're reverse sensors alright.

Heres a bigger pic of my rear end, can you see them???.....if you want i'll grab a better photo tonight.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mikesima
Yeah, it must be a Canadian thing then cause they're reverse sensors alright.

Heres a bigger pic of my rear end, can you see them???.....if you want i'll grab a better photo tonight.
Hmmmm... and they are not aftermarket?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:10 PM

Well the 07 is ok for the money you can get and 07 g35x
Old 06-26-2006, 03:30 PM

would someone out there happen to know if the exterior paint code is the same on the 04-06 vs the 07 max for the silver?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Hmmmm... and they are not aftermarket?
Damn...now you guys have me thinking...

How could i tell if they were, everything looks and sounds OEM to me???

I am the second owner of the car but i remeber asking the salesmen about them at the dealership and he wasn't shocked. The person who owned it before me got every option he could on the SE...xenons, memory seats, 4-way power passenger's seat, BOSE, VDC.

.....but looking on the net i can't seem to find anything about those sensors being an option on the SE like everything else i listed up there.

Weird
Old 06-26-2006, 06:39 PM

As far as I know, the parking sensors are not on the list of available options for 04-06 Max in Canada...
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by emub00
As far as I know, the parking sensors are not on the list of available options for 04-06 Max in Canada...
Yeah, I'm not even sure how they would integrate with the driving experience, so I'm not sure if I could tell if they were OEM or aftermarket.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:20 AM

pulling them off the truck right now
Old 06-27-2006, 04:48 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

'07 Test Drive in Charlotte

Four '07s finally rolled off the truck at East Charlotte Nissan yesterday. Dropped by for a test drive after work. Drove a Slate Gray/Black SE w/ DPP, sunroof, mats & splash guards, $33,615 MSRP.

For me, the '04-'06 tooth, cornering lights and dashboard were immediate disqualifiers, so aesthetics-wise I was very happy with the most visible cosmetic changes.

The new wheels are OK - I don't dislike them but I have seen better. I think they would be better with a brighter paint finish (more like my '03 Titanium edition) 'cause they look kinda dull silver-gray rather than anything that looks like real aluminum.

The new spoiler looks just right on the car - another big improvement, IMO.

The whole front facia is an overall improvement. Two things I might have asked for is a bit less chrome in the lower grille surround and a little neater integration of the foglights. Still, it is MUCH better than the tooth and cornering lights.

Inside, the layout and finishes are also improvements. The main gauges look GREAT... very bright, sharp and easy to read. Center stack is a big improvement, also. Displays are big and easy to read... just wish it wasn't orange (Nav would fix this). Lettering on the A/C buttons was kinda tough to read at night (small & dim relative to display above).

The trim around the dash and on the door panels is a small improvement. Seat design and finish is MUCH improved. Much better bolstering and feel to the leather. Center stack feels a bit narrower, giving a little more leg space.

Not sure how useful the power folding mirrors are in a vehicle this width... maybe in a full size SUV.

Torrential rain and a salesman in the back seat kept me from really pushing it, but initial impressions were that the motor/trans combo is not as strong as my '03 auto. Somewhat dissapointed , but it was a short drive in bad conditions, so I'll hold final judgement. The CVT was less "odd" than in a Murano or in Audi A4's & A6's. It never seemed confused. It shifts very well in the autostick mode... very quick and crisp but not harsh.

Now the big issue... after quoting me a lease based on MSRP ($3,500 down,$639/month! - which I just laughed at ), the best they would do was $1,500 over invoice for a sale or as a cost basis for the lease. Not good enough... should get better. I offered $400 over, but they woudn't budge from the $1,500 figure. I realize it was the first '07 to hit the area and they are in no hurry to unload it when they have 30+ '06s sitting there. But they have to realize that $505/mo lease isn't gonna find many takers when I can go across the street or down the block and get a comparable TL or G35 for $399/mo or less. I've had a great run of Max's since '87, but there would be no shame in a TL or G35 AND saving money to boot. If the Max can't be the value alternative in that trio, it's not gonna compete well.

I will say that we were treated VERY professionally by the salesperson Mark and his manager. Both were knowledgable and courteous, if a little overprotective of their margins on their new babies. (This was NOT the case the last time my wife visited them a couple of months ago.)

P.S. Mark just called... been a slow day and he's gonna work up a better price! That didn't take too long... I'll keep you posted.

--------------------------
EDIT: Bought one 6/30 - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=479946
Old 06-27-2006, 06:23 PM
KC's FINEST

Good luck... at least were back on track in here.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:06 PM

i drove another 07 today, this time an SL with DPP....the wheels are disgusting on the SL its not even funny....and the first time i drove it i thought it performed ok...this time though i actually got to drive it and honestly it doesnt perform to well at all. Infiniti it is.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:22 AM

I don't understand you guys not liking the performance. Are you just not used to cvt's. The 07 max is awesome in its linear excelleration and performance. Most people just can't get used to the cvt. It drives very differently and you have to learn how to maximize it. We had multiple races with the 07 vs 06 (cvt vs auto) and the 07 will always win. Then add in the smoothness and better mileage. What's not to like?

And as a side note, why does everyone think its so funny to beat down car salesman. Paying 1500 over invoice on a maxima means that you are giving the dealer 1500 profit. thats about 4-5 percent. How many industries are that low in profit margin. Do people come in to your work and try to make you give away everything for 5 percent. You wouldn't like it at all.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
How many industries are that low in profit margin. Do people come in to your work and try to make you give away everything for 5 percent. You wouldn't like it at all.
Thats cause dealers make money off the service.

I used to work for Ford and i remember them saying that "they didn't make the same mistake with the Focus as they did with the Escort, the Focus breaks down. Hahaha."

Those were the service advisors exact words.

PS. alot of my time there was spent picking these up from customers for starter and rear drum problems.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

I don't understand you guys not liking the performance. Are you just not used to cvt's. The 07 max is awesome in its linear excelleration and performance. Most people just can't get used to the cvt. It drives very differently and you have to learn how to maximize it. We had multiple races with the 07 vs 06 (cvt vs auto) and the 07 will always win. Then add in the smoothness and better mileage. What's not to like?

And as a side note, why does everyone think its so funny to beat down car salesman. Paying 1500 over invoice on a maxima means that you are giving the dealer 1500 profit. thats about 4-5 percent. How many industries are that low in profit margin. Do people come in to your work and try to make you give away everything for 5 percent. You wouldn't like it at all.
I think you missed my point on both issues...

I said I LIKED the way the trans felt compared to the Murano I drove (which really felt like it didn't know what to do at times) or the Audis I've driven (maybe their lack of engine smoothness relative to the VQ makes them feel more like their engines are droning when they jump to max torque RPM). Regarding the acceleration - I said it FEELS slower, which it absolutely does. Whether that's a function of the "smoothness" of the VQ/CVT combo or a real defecit, that's for somebody with some test equipment to determine. Even if the numbers don't look bad for the CVT, it is, without a doubt, less "sporty" in feel. My Volvo S60 is "for crap" off the line, but that rush when the boost kicks in is a whole lot of FUN.

As far as the dealer profit, we all know that "invoice" is not the true cost of the car to the dealer. All the hype about invoice and below-invoice pricing is a product of the industry's marketing geniuses, on both a mfg and dealer level. I really don't care what the MSRP or invoice is... I care what what the real net cost is relative to a worthy competitor such as a G35 or a TL. If its not competitive, its not the buyer's responsibility to feel sorry for the dealer.

I agree that margins are lower than in most other business. However, the Nissan stores (and most other brands) in this area all sell at "invoice" all day, every day on most models. Their business model obviously accounts for that, or they wouldn't be in business. The $1,500 over is just them trying to hang some extra margin on the backs of the first few people who just have be the first to have an '07. I wasn't mad at them for doing this, I even offered an extra $400 over their "normal" deal for the privilege having the first '07. They said "not yet". I said "OK, call me when you can do better. If I haven't bought or leased something else, I'll come back and talk." We shook hands and left on good terms. There was no "beating down" of the salesman.

Even though my wife's '03 has to be turned in by 7/5, she has another car available short term, so there is no pressure to buy/lease immediately. I also think the incentives on '06 G35's will get even better - the '07s are right around the corner and the local dealers have BIG stocks of '06's.

----------------------------------
EDIT: Bought one 6/30 - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=479946
Old 06-28-2006, 04:53 PM

Didn't mean to start a problem. I understand what your saying about perception. And I have plenty of people who say a car is worth 30 or 40 grand but wont pay it because everyone gets a deal so why shouldn't they. The car industry is very specific in this regard. It's not about the perceived value it's that every one can haggle the price and get a better deal or threaten to go down the road where they will. Blame it on the dealers in the first place for this happing from poor service and cheating people in the past. Furniture is a 400 percent mark up and people don't go in to buy a dinette set and say I want 200 percent off. Just an example, but I hate the misperceptions sometimes. And invoice is the true cost of the vehicle. Hold back is there, but it doesn't count as vehicle cost. Invoice is true cost. And hold back isn't that much. On a loaded 06 SL it's only around 700-800. So if you buy it at invoice then the dealer only has hold back. The sales man gets a mini if he's lucky because hold back isn't profit and then you have to figure all the overhead. Floor plan, gas, detail, utilities. Is it a surprise you get screwed in service. If the dealers didn't make money there then they would all be out of business.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:55 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Didn't mean to start a problem.
Me either!

Is it a surprise you get screwed in service.
Lucky for me then that the ONLY thing any of my five Max's ever had to go in for service for was to replace the Bose head unit in the '03.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 PM

It is funny how empty my service department is! The VW, Audi, Merc dealer I worked for didn't have enough bays to keep up!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:11 AM

Nice improve over the 04-06, but with no 6 speed available I could care less. Nissan blew it with getting rid of the manual tranny............I don't care if the Altima has it
Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 PM
SuPeRmOd

Test drove an SL today.

CVT-
it sure is smooth. and definately different. I played with the Sport mode and it lets you stay in 6 to a complete stop, so u have to down-shift each gear now. each shift only gave a few RPM change while cruising. but from a stop it still has pull. going to have to line up with a 6.0 to see if still compareable.

now i didn't want to beat on the virgin VQ (3 miles) or scare the noob salesman (i educated him a bit- clueless). but "1st" lasted pretty long and seem hard to reach redline. I easily merged onto the hwy.

now I feel personally that as an SL this 2007 Maxima is PERFECT. rode very smoothly with good power and features.
"suede" as stated feels nicer. seats grab you more, leather a lil nicer. same roof liner as 06, which is nice. beefier chrome tips. ( i take it from pics the SE has actual pipes, no tips). wheels are better in person.

I prefer the 6.0 control layout better. seems you can no longer make all the adjustments on the screen like before. No Personal Menu. of course MP3 and Input are huge though.

oh yeah, even over 70 still smooth

engine bay looks identical. but u can see the CVT taking up more space underneath and didn't notice a tranny fluid port. salesman said something like "look, lights are easier to remove" i saw the corner light was easy to access, but the rest still a PITA if not more so. couldn't see access to the other bulbs.

intelli key seems like a good feature for some, but i could care less. the door unlock feature must have been off. i had to press the button. still a key hole in door and ignition. getting the key out of the fob is a little tricky. (slide a tiny "nail-slide" and pull it out.

price only went up like $25.

5 are due for the lot next week and they will call me to see an SE.

Still very happy with my 04
Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Guys, the wheels in this pic off the nissanusa.com site look awesome
http://nissanusa.com/img/vehicles/ga...gal_10_lrg.jpg

Are these the same ones you guys are talking about (i dont like the ones posted in the other pics either) but those are sweet lookin IMO.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:26 PM

DukeN - Yes, those are the NISMO 19" X 8.5" aluminum alloy wheels shown near the back of the official '07 Maxima brochure. They are available in silver and gunmetal silver (argent?). Lovely wheels. But I understand they cost a few 'thou' a set?

NismoMax80 - Nice test drive report. Somehow I hadn't seen this report until now. As I understand the '07 intelli key, even if you have the key/remote in you pocket, you still have to press the button on the doorhandle to unlock the car. I notice in the '07 Maxima TV ads, the woman approaches the car and casually pushes that button with her left thumb as she is grasping the handle to open the door.

Those same ads shows the woman starting the car by turning the ignition switch with no key inserted. They also shows many views of the redone dash and the revamped front, as well as a good look at the change in the bottom of the back bumper and the seamless '07 muffler tips. The ads specifically target the changes for the '07, rather than the car as a whole.

I could not help but notice your qualifying phrase 'as an SL, this '07 Maxima is perfect'. I think you may have hit the carpet tack (or is that 'the nail'?) on the head. I have felt since we first found the '07 was only available with CVT that SL drivers would take to the '07 very well, but that many SE drivers (especially those with 6 speed trannies) would feel less-favorable toward it.

I personally feel the '07 is a step up, and one I like very much. I also feel the 7th gen will be a further step up, and one which may leave many 'gearheads' behind. I find that sad, but realize that was inevitable when considering Nissan's plans to make the Maxima a truly plushly appointed (but still highly styled and spirited) flagship.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 PM
is invisible

Great thread. I have a friend who's looking at the '07 Max, '07 Accord, & '07 Camry...he wants the Max.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:56 AM

Just Purchased The 07 Sl ..........

OK heres my initial impression ........

RIDE .... Smooth & QUIET !! Note .. They have pushed the Continental tires to 35lbs as opposed to 33lbs .. Same tires .. I suspect that they made some changes to suspension... You 04-06 sl owners might want to push yours up ..

CVT ... Not enought time on it but no issues ...

PERFORMANCE .. Just like my old 04SL .. no plus or minus ..

BUILD .. A much tighter fit and finish .. Much better quality interior ....
BETTER seats ... ! Especially the leather in the SL .. SE/SL are different ..

ODDS & ENDS .. Without the Navi you loose some controls such as headlight delay .. preset to 5min turn off ? WHY ??

NEW STUFF .... SONAR for backing up ... Beeps like ____ when backing into garage as it senses up to 6ft away from an object.. But will be great otherwise and is needed. Tire pressure monitor .. its be around awhile in other cars .. nice to have .. Tilting mirrors during back up but you have to pick which mirror i believe .. should be both ?
Intella key ... a very nice add on .. You can program each key for each driver and when you get in and start it moves the steering and seats that you have preset. It knows you by the key so dont mix keys ..

$COST .. comparing to the 04-06 A much better buy almost the same .. How anyone could buy an 06 with an 07 on lot is beyond me .. even if it is discounted more...

MY CAR .. Pebble BeacH ...Black interior .. with preferred package and power sun roof .. It is really tuff picking the right color this year . They had to drive to Pittsburg to get it about 230 miles ... Boy did that unnerve me ..
We went down to the dealer just after it arrived .. The first thing that I checked was the AVG speed on the trip meter ... it was 42 Mph ... and it took them some time to get back so I am sure it was driven properly !!
They could have gotten one in nearby Maryland but I want one that DID not have the front license plate put on .. Looks is everything !! no holes ..
I did not want the NAVI .. too expensive for what you get .. After market Navi are cheaper and just as good ... and portable ...

In few weeks I will come back and report updates to the above as needed ..
Bottom line .. the 07 is what the 04-06 should have been .....

Oh and by the way ... I have an as NEW OEM front grill for the 04-06's for sale .. Didnt get it on in time before I traded .. Also have Nissan OEM floor mats if interested color charcoal very nice condition as they were covered up.
Make offer .. They will be up on Ebay soon ...
You can email me ( SANDYPOINT AT COMCAST.NET )

John ..
Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Anyone have engine pic's? I know this question cannot be answered at this time, however curious to know how the CVT will hold up to modding...

Quick Reply: My encounter with an 07...