6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Halogen to HID upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:42 AM

Halogen to HID upgrade

Alrighty, I know there are threads covering this subject and I did quite a bit of reading the past few days regarding this subject. I was searching over at the sister forum (www.6thgenmaxima.org) for people who have already done this upgrade. Now, from what I've read, the stock 9012 HIR halogen bulbs uses are single filament, meaning the projector themselves are involved with refocusing the light for high and low beam use. Then I've also read that it's a "no-no" to put HID lamps inside a halogen projector, and that the beam pattern will be horrible...causing glare etc. Then I found these two pictures:

OEM HID cutoff line and pattern:

A fellow member's cutoff pattern after HID upgrade using halogen projectors:

As you can see, the cutoff pattern is very similar, although I have to admit the one for the HID retrofit doesn't look as sharp in some areas. Aiming the light a bit lower should be ideal IMO. Now the part that I'm still unsure of, is the installation of the HID bulbs onto the halogen projectors. In some threads I've read they just drop right in, replacing the 9012 HIR, while other threads indicated some slight modification to the housing/locking ring will be required. I'll greatly appreciate it if someone can clear this part up for me.

I've been eyeing the HID deals going on in the Group Deals and Sponsers forum. I want the 6k, 9006 kit. But I want to get everything cleared up before making the purchase since the LAST thing I want to do is screwing something up. Thanks!

-Gordon