6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Would this be the perfect exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would this be the perfect exhaust?

What if I took the Hotshot Headers, CE Y-pipe, and Cattman Catback and slapped that all together. Do you think that would be the best setup or just stick with the Hotshot Y-pipe? I won't be doing this any time soon, but would like to get all my ducks in a row.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:29 PM

No, wont work. The y pipe is part of the headers and the CE y pipe is claimed to be crappy quality anyways. Just what ive heard.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Glude
No, wont work. The y pipe is part of the headers and the CE y pipe is claimed to be crappy quality anyways. Just what ive heard.
The Hotshot headers come with their own y-pipe...
Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 AM

I know the headers come with their own pipe, however I was looking at getting the y-pipe & catback first. Down the road I was going to put headers on and thought that since the CE pipe was missing a cat that it might provide better flow and perform better.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:32 AM

Id stick with teh Hotshot y-pipe. Its better to have a cat in there somewhere I think.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I know the headers come with their own pipe, however I was looking at getting the y-pipe & catback first. Down the road I was going to put headers on and thought that since the CE pipe was missing a cat that it might provide better flow and perform better.
U could do the y pipe first but when the time comes to get headers you just gonna have to sell it. I highly doubt it wouldnt bolt up to the Hotshot manifolds.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 AM

CE Y-Pipe will NOT fit with the Hotshot Headers, Hotshot has two versions of the Headers, one with High Flow Cat and one without. Understand one thing, when you go with the version of Hotshot without the High Flow Cat, you will have to either custom weld bungs for the 02 sensors or live with your SES light always on!!! The version with the High Flow cat has 2 02 sensor bungs after the High Flow Cat and a wire extention kit to relocate the 02 sensors...

Old 08-30-2006, 01:22 PM

I was looking at the hotshot headers and thought I saw holes in the header for the O2 sensor. Isn't that where they are from the factory. And thanks for the heads up on the CE pipe not fitting.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM

damm temptin pictures ,a must have thanks chris for the peer pressure lol looks good man
Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 questions. How much do I write the check for? How much of a boost in power??? By the way, GREAT PICS. I love that header/Y-pipe setup. HOT!! Thanks for the great info.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:03 PM

I was looking at the hotshot headers and thought I saw holes in the header for the O2 sensor. Isn't that where they are from the factory. And thanks for the heads up on the CE pipe not fitting.
That is correct, there are 2 that normally connect to the OEM headers (top)and 2 that connect to the outlet below the precats (bottom) for a total of 4- 02 sensors.

This is a picture of the precats removed. The Y-Pipe pictured is a CE-Y-Pipe.
If you don't have an aftermarket Y-Pipe, below is a picture of the OEM one that will need to be removed...

After we pulled all the parts off, we weighted everything, then we weighed the hotshot headers and the difference in weight we shaved off my car was 35lbs!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Majestic Max
2 questions. How much do I write the check for? How much of a boost in power??? By the way, GREAT PICS. I love that header/Y-pipe setup. HOT!! Thanks for the great info.
So far the only Dyno's conducted to estimate performance gains included a combination of CAI, UPD Racing pulley, Headers, Catback and Dyno Tuned with APEXi Super AFC-II computers. I estimate the gains are 30-40HP over stock, not to mention the weight loss...
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2theMaX05
damm temptin pictures ,a must have thanks chris for the peer pressure lol looks good man
Just puttin the info out there for my Org bros...
Old 08-30-2006, 08:40 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I'll just go catback and then step up to the headers. Maybe Cattman will have out a set for the 6th gen by then.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:09 AM

Good Info here, now i'm really tempted to go this road.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:21 PM

Chern what's your opinion on the CE Y-pipe? Is it a worth while stand alone upgrade, or is it of suspect quality and reliability?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, first post. I was wondering if any of you have put Flowmasters on there ride. Just got my Maxima and I want a deep base sound, wondering what would work best? Thanks for the help
Old 08-31-2006, 08:18 PM

Chern what's your opinion on the CE Y-pipe? Is it a worth while stand alone upgrade, or is it of suspect quality and reliability?
My personal opinion after learning many hard lessons on bolt-ups such as:

CAI
Y-Pipes
Catbacks
Headers
Pulleys

We will never achieve there true potential without tuning.

Our ECU is so adaptive that we feel the gains after install but after 3-5 days of street driving our ECU will recalibrate to bring our engine back to factory preset levels and some bolt ups will actually cause our rides to loose power even though they have the potential for our rides to gain power. If I have to go back when I installed my first mod, I would of ensured I had a tuning computer like I have now, an APEXi.

A TS ECU reflash is great but it is more based on Dyno readings of your current mods so that the ECU can be reflashed for max performance, but as other Mods are added, then what. So in my personal opinion, add a mod, dyno tune. Add another mod, dyno tune again. Only then will you achieve the true potential of the mods you are installing...

An ECU reflash does have it's advantages in removing the speed / rev limiter numbers. I am addressing the bolt ups our members are installing and most achieve their true potential when installed in conjunction with others, but again, the master key is the ability to tune so that the ECU does not recal and you potentially loose power...

As for the CE Y-Pipe, Mine had no suspect or quality control issues...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gregmeurer2925
Hey guys, first post. I was wondering if any of you have put Flowmasters on there ride. Just got my Maxima and I want a deep base sound, wondering what would work best? Thanks for the help

im about to put Flowmasters on my 05 maxima..on saturday. i hope i can get a second opinion on them by then from you guys.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

waiting for your feedback too bmorekaotic19! I'm also interested to give a better sound to my 06 maxima....just a bit louder than oem!!
Old 09-02-2006, 12:34 AM

Would you say that getting a TS flash with a remapped A/F is good if you are done modding or is it always beneficial to go with a APEXi unit. Also how would one determine the appropriate A/F ratio. Does it vary by RPM? Are there different ratios for different driving...ie higher or lower A/F ratio. I am not to familiar with how it all works or what would be the best situation for say normal driving vs performance driving.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:47 AM

Would you say that getting a TS flash with a remapped A/F is good if you are done modding or is it always beneficial to go with a APEXi unit. Also how would one determine the appropriate A/F ratio. Does it vary by RPM? Are there different ratios for different driving...ie higher or lower A/F ratio. I am not to familiar with how it all works or what would be the best situation for say normal driving vs performance driving.
I'm not too familiar with ECU tuning/A/F ratios and all of that electronic tuning as well, but i'm pretty sure that you dyno tune everything. Do a few runs and the dyno machine tells you all the info that you would want no; if it were rich/lean, etc. and then you make your adjustments accordingly.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:04 AM

How do you decide what ratio to use though. I have seen people run high and low ratios. What do you do to determine what numbers to use.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so i got some magnaflow exhaust with some nice tips. really set off the max guys. the rumble is something i didnt expect out of it. omg. it sounds mean. all i need now is to maybe lower it to make it alil meaner.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bmorekaotic19
so i got some magnaflow exhaust with some nice tips. really set off the max guys. the rumble is something i didnt expect out of it. omg. it sounds mean. all i need now is to maybe lower it to make it alil meaner.

Is it there an annoying drone in the 2-3k range?