6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anyone else have static on radio stations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM

Anyone else have static on radio stations?

I have the standard radio and all of the local stations I listen to have a lot of static on them. Taken it to the dealer twice and they are no help. Even had them pull another Max around and park right next to mine and put it on the same station. Theirs was crystal clear, mine was full of static. There explanation was because their car had the Bose system and it pulls stations in better, BS!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Did they have another one with the standard radio to compare?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:18 PM

The BOSE should not make much difference in the ability to pick up a radio signal. You are in a metro area that has lots of stations with transmitter towers within thirty miles. You should have clear reception most of the time for most of those Charlotte area stations.

If you cannot pick up 50,000 watt WBT at 1110 on the dial very clearly, then either your radio is bad, or its link to the antenna is not connected. Simple as that.

Any salesperson who says your radio is fine is being shamefully untruthful with you. Be polite, but be firm. You MUST have an operational radio in a $30K automobile. Good grief; that was true almost fifty years ago.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 AM

YES RandyZ,

I have had that problem on and off now since I owned the car. I have an '05' SL with the Bose. I will have static on and off, but most of the time I am listening to the CD player. I have also noticed that when I pick a clear station, I can be on it for 10 seconds and it will go fuzzy as well!

Go get 'em'
Old 10-03-2006, 06:01 AM
GrandPa

Tell them you want a new system installed. This has nothing to do because you don't have a Bose system. Call the 800 Nissan help linethats in your manual if the dealer gives you a hard time.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The BOSE should not make much difference in the ability to pick up a radio signal. You are in a metro area that has lots of stations with transmitter towers within thirty miles. You should have clear reception most of the time for most of those Charlotte area stations.

If you cannot pick up 50,000 watt WBT at 1110 on the dial very clearly, then either your radio is bad, or its link to the antenna is not connected. Simple as that.

Any salesperson who says your radio is fine is being shamefully untruthful with you. Be polite, but be firm. You MUST have an operational radio in a $30K automobile. Good grief; that was true almost fifty years ago.

I agree 100%, but its RandyZ in FL having the problem... mine works fine here in Charlotte.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:37 PM

i had a wierd thing happen the other day, I honked the horn and lost all radio frequency What the hell? Tried it again today same thing happend?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 PM

Altima - 'Lost frequency'? Do you mean the radio veered from the dial frequency on which you had it set, or the sound coming from the speakers just disappeared? If the latter, did the sound return as soon as your horn stopped blowing?

The Maxima is like most cars in that when you activate a device that uses a large quantity of electricity, other devices are shut off. Such as when you start your car, other electrical devices (including radio, heater/AC fan, etc. shut off until the car starts.

It may be that this happens when you blow your horn. But having never 'fully' blown the horn on either my 2000 SE or 2004 SL, I can't be sure about this. I very seldom use the horn, and when I do, it is usually just a few very very brief taps; not enough to duplicate your situation.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:32 PM

In this instance i was "upset" to put it lightly and i slammed the horn for a good 3-4 seconds and during that time the radio went to static. It retured right after i stoped honking. It was just odd.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:57 AM

My Max doesn't have that issue but SOMETIMES my 05 Pathfinder LE does. Since my wife drives the Pathfinder 99% of the time I am not inclined to take the time to fight the dealership to fix it.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Make them replace it.

Originally Posted by RandyZ
I have the standard radio and all of the local stations I listen to have a lot of static on them. Taken it to the dealer twice and they are no help. Even had them pull another Max around and park right next to mine and put it on the same station. Theirs was crystal clear, mine was full of static. There explanation was because their car had the Bose system and it pulls stations in better, BS!
I drove my 2006 SL with a standard radio from Knoxville to Atlanta this morning and got MUCH better reception than I used to get with my '93 Accord and somewhat better reception than I get with my 2001 Accord. There's a little static on the AM Oldies station when I get far enough away. Everything else is fine.

Ray
Old 10-04-2006, 02:17 PM

Your entire back glass may have to be replaced. My mother's 2003 Altima 3.5SE had the same situation with poor reception. However, she has the Bose. The reception was even worse when she turned on the rear defroster. Nissan replaced the entire back glass (where the defroster grid is and all) under warranty. Fixed the poor reception once and for all!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:08 AM

Thanks for the replies! I did call the Nissan 800 # after the last visit and they simply told me to try another dealership and see if they would trouble shoot it
I've got a few days off coming up next week and am going to take it to another dealer. I'll let you know what they say.