6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

EVAP Control System Small Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM

EVAP Control System Small Leak

This is regarding my wife's 01 Altima (sorry guys but I trust more your instincts and wisdom... ). Her car has this code (P0440) and the dealer said it is the "charcoal cannister" and they quoted me $222 + tax for parts and labor. my question is: Is this a safety issue? Do I need to have it replaced ASAP?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:28 PM

anybody home?...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 PM

from my understanding (which may not mean much) that evap is purely environmental, something to do with escaping gas vapors (it's a normal process)... it just cleans it before going out into normal air... not a safety issue just and tree hugger thing
Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 PM

Don't quote me on this but I think anything having to do with emissions is covered to around 75,000 miles ....
Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No, not a safety issue.

1) Tighten the gas cap
2) If the light does not reset after a few trips, you could check all the vacuum hoses of the EVAP system for leaks/ loose connections.

3) Replace the gas cap if original.
4) From another post: "EVAP control valve located on the front of the charcoal canister can get stuck. Remove 2 screws, a hose, & electric connection. If it does not move freely, use WD40 until it mooves freely." Or get a whole new charcoal canister for, you guessed it, $200+ (or aftermarket/online if you are mechanically inclined).
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
No, not a safety issue.

1) Tighten the gas cap
2) If the light does not reset after a few trips, you could check all the vacuum hoses of the EVAP system for leaks/ loose connections.

3) Replace the gas cap if original.
4) From another post: "EVAP control valve located on the front of the charcoal canister can get stuck. Remove 2 screws, a hose, & electric connection. If it does not move freely, use WD40 until it mooves freely." Or get a whole new charcoal canister for, you guessed it, $200+ (or aftermarket/online if you are mechanically inclined).
Thanks! That's actually what the mechanic in the dealership told me - change the charcoal canister coz he said that's the source of the code. He quoted about 117 (parts) and 105 (labor). $222 total + tax. Should I have this done ASAP or can this wait?

Thanks again guys for your inputs!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by joemax1
Thanks! That's actually what the mechanic in the dealership told me - change the charcoal canister coz he said that's the source of the code. He quoted about 117 (parts) and 105 (labor). $222 total + tax. Should I have this done ASAP or can this wait?

Thanks again guys for your inputs!
I think it's all emission-related component. Your car should drive fine but you will fail a smog check. But if you fail a smog check within 75Kmiles, Nissan should fix it under warranty (check you warranty booklet, it depends on which state you live in). The part maynot even be the problem. I would give the car a minor maintenance, check the gas cap, throw in a bottle of fuel system cleaner, clear the code at Autozone and cross my fingers. I would do that before thinking of spending serious $$$.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
I think it's all emission-related component. Your car should drive fine but you will fail a smog check. But if you fail a smog check within 75Kmiles, Nissan should fix it under warranty (check you warranty booklet, it depends on which state you live in). The part maynot even be the problem. I would give the car a minor maintenance, check the gas cap, throw in a bottle of fuel system cleaner, clear the code at Autozone and cross my fingers. I would do that before thinking of spending serious $$$.
I did go to Autozone but crap, they won't erase the code! I dunno why!

Anyways, will this also affect the gas mileage?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by joemax1
I did go to Autozone but crap, they won't erase the code! I dunno why!
You can go to another store. Or let the car clears the code by itself. (Or pay for the scanner, use it and return. Hey' they make it hard on you).
Anyways, will this also affect the gas mileage?
I doubt it but you know better than anyone alse.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:35 PM

evap code could show up for many reasons. Most common one is the gas cap. They are relatively cheap and i would start with that. To clear the code you can A) stop by at any good year / meineke / mr. tire place and catch one of the techs outside and ask him as a favor to clear the code. Maybe slip him a 5 or a 10. (it takes 40 secs to clear it, literally) b) you can disconnect the battery for 10 mins. Now if it is a bad gas cap, the light will come back in 5-10 mins of driving. If its a canister or evap system components it will light up again in about 30-50 miles of driving. So replace the gas cap, reset the light and go out for a drive. See what happens. Good luck