6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Has anyone bought Wilwood Brakes from FastBrakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Has anyone bought Wilwood Brakes from FastBrakes?

I was just wondering if anyone has purchased Wilwood calipers from Brian at FastBrakes.com

I was particularly interested in the calipers that work with stock size rotors and how well does this combination work?

Anyone??
Old 12-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can tell you that my 300zx 4 piston calipers with stock rotors are very very nice and cheap. They look fabulous too.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

How much would that setup be? Does it require modifications or is it a bolt on (possibly with a bracket)?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 PM

o matko bosko!!! kamilkluczewski was the first to buy the BBK from that site. And there are numerous threads about these brakes...let me go find them for you

dan

edit-am I missing something or did you already install Wilwoods on your bros car? Because you posted pics with them installed on a midnight blue max...so yea! your bro has them installed!!! :
Old 12-27-2006, 06:11 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
edit-am I missing something or did you already install Wilwoods on your bros car? Because you posted pics with them installed on a midnight blue max...so yea! your bro has them installed!!! :
Correct!!!. Awesome/Unbelievable setup but I don't have $1500 for the 6 piston with 13.25" rotors (he paid $1700 for the 13.6" setup)

So, I am looking to buy the cheaper setup that works over stock rotors and if and when extra money comes I might look into the whole kit with two piece rotors.

Problem is..... that stock 18" rims don't fit over the kit even with 8mm spacers. He bought NISMO rims just like Kamski with All Season Michellin Sport A/S so they fit no problem. I got his OEM rims with BS RSAs as my winter swaps as I am riding on BF Goodrich G-Force with zero snow traction.

I bought new rims that might clear his setup (pending verification this weekend) but then I'd be stuck with no winter rims/tires that he gave me for FREE anyway.

So if anyone has bought just the calipers, please chime in.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 AM

I was thinking about those too, but then I settled on RTP rotors/Hawk pads/SS lines with stock rotors painted silver! Painting the rotors is still pending because of the weather but everything else is amazing!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:07 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Painting calipers is fine and I bought the pain too. The problem is the car gets me from 0-to-whenever I stop pressing gas pretty quick, I figured I need serious stopping power to neutralize the effect -->> Something that would get me down to 0 real quick and definitelly not a wall or a parked tractor trailer.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:06 PM

It is a bolt on set up from Matt Blehm from Blehmco. You get the brackets adn stainless steel brake lines. By the time you buy the calipers and rebuild them its prolly $500 or so. Its a cheap way to get nice brakes over stock rotors. If you use this set up on stock rims you will needs spacers. I have aftermarket rims.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 PM

When I purchased my ss lines they by mistake, sent me two front sets, so if you'd like I could sell you the front set for $25 shipped? But I do have to say that one set was about an inch longer than the other...and I installed the shorter one and in no visual/noticable way could you tell that it was in wrong and it could definately hold the longer lines as well. Noto daj mi znac!

dan
Old 12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I was just wondering if anyone has purchased Wilwood calipers from Brian at FastBrakes.com

I was particularly interested in the calipers that work with stock size rotors and how well does this combination work?

Anyone??
Ill tell you that with the stock rotors the braking power will be pretty icredible. You will have lower thremal resistivity though, so those 144mph to 0 runs will not be as effective as with the bigger kit.

Basically you will get the same braking power as the Z adapter kit from Matt Blhem but with all new parts..... to me when I drive by somone else in a G35 or something hi-end and I get the thumbs up when they see my ride.....

Thats worth it!!! Not to mention the stops that make your girlfriends glasses fly off her face and your sister to fly off of the back seat cause she wasnt wearing her seatbelts........... TEE HEE HEE
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
It is a bolt on set up from Matt Blehm from Blehmco. You get the brackets adn stainless steel brake lines. By the time you buy the calipers and rebuild them its prolly $500 or so. Its a cheap way to get nice brakes over stock rotors. If you use this set up on stock rims you will needs spacers. I have aftermarket rims.
$500 is not bad. But I am not into reconditioned/rebuilt/remanufactured stuff. I am not saying its a bad product, I am sure you have a great setup but for $590 I would rather get new Wilwoods with bracket and stainless steel lines.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Thats worth it!!! Not to mention the stops that make your girlfriends glasses fly off her face and your sister to fly off of the back seat cause she wasnt wearing her seatbelts........... TEE HEE HEE
I know exactly what you mean. I get to drive my brother's car every now and then and am jelous every time I step on them brakes.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:24 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

When I purchased my ss lines they by mistake, sent me two front sets, so if you'd like I could sell you the front set for $25 shipped?

dan
Thanks Dan,

That seems like a good price but the new kit will come with new SS lines. I would be interested in a set for the rear if you have one.

BTW. Fast brakes just added rear BBKs for G/Z setups. It is a matter of time before rear set comes out for the MAX
Old 12-28-2006, 10:09 AM

Thanks Dan,

That seems like a good price but the new kit will come with new SS lines. I would be interested in a set for the rear if you have one.

BTW. Fast brakes just added rear BBKs for G/Z setups. It is a matter of time before rear set comes out for the MAX
The fronts do most of the stopping anyways, Im running only front ss lines because my rear ones were really long and I didnt want em to get caught on something. I could definately tell a big difference with ONLY the front lines.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:34 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

only two maxes with wilwoods on the forum??? Guess I am going to be the 3rd.

I will have to go with 4 piston setup due to clerance limitations of my new HP rims.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
The fronts do most of the stopping anyways, Im running only front ss lines because my rear ones were really long and I didnt want em to get caught on something. I could definately tell a big difference with ONLY the front lines.
You probaly got f***ed too! I had two front sets shipped to me and then they shipped me the rear set free of charge.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:02 PM
aka The Doom Ship

If you're not on the track often or seldom drive above 130mph you don't need them big a$$ brakes. I replaced my fronts with Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads and my car stops luvee, I mean those pads really grab.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
If you're not on the track often or seldom drive above 130mph you don't need them big a$$ brakes. I replaced my fronts with Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads and my car stops luvee, I mean those pads really grab.
+1!!! especially once they get heated

also...how are your headers? Any check engine lights or other issues. And how did you hook up the SAFC? I don't know much about electronics and tuning so that's why i'm asking. Are the headers too noisy or just right?

dan
Old 01-01-2007, 01:00 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Thats like saying...

Unless your family constantly rides at over 130MPH, you don't need a maxima.

You may not see advantages of huge rotors unless you use your brakes alot but changing calipers to 4 or 6 pistons instead of ONE improves your braking performance/stopping distance considerably. Ask DEUS, I am sure he ain't gonna lie.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Thats like saying...

Unless your family constantly rides at over 130MPH, you don't need a maxima.
What Logic class did you take in college? Spending $1000+ on brakes is not hardly the same as purchasing a Maxima especially when you can have excellent braking performance with Brembo blanks($130) and Hawk pads($89).

I don't want anyone to take offense, I'm sure the BBK is a quality kit with quality components but I stand by my statement.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:20 PM
aka The Doom Ship

+1!!! especially once they get heated

also...how are your headers? Any check engine lights or other issues. And how did you hook up the SAFC? I don't know much about electronics and tuning so that's why i'm asking. Are the headers too noisy or just right?

dan
I don't want to jack this thread. You might want to donate to enable the search feature. But to keep it short, I regularly get CELs, they're not as noisy at my Greddy cat-backs, and I'm starting to get a rattle. At this point, it's hard to guage exactly what the benifits are of all of my mods. I'm starting to realize the auto transmission's soft shifts are robbing me of performance. However, my dyno results suggest a significant improvement.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM

I don't want to jack this thread. You might want to donate to enable the search feature. But to keep it short, I regularly get CELs, they're not as noisy at my Greddy cat-backs, and I'm starting to get a rattle. At this point, it's hard to guage exactly what the benifits are of all of my mods. I'm starting to realize the auto transmission's soft shifts are robbing me of performance. However, my dyno results suggest a significant improvement.
aha, gotcha! So I'll just stick with my mufflers/custom piping for the time being! And since Cattman is coming out with headers, i'd consider them, but they are quite out of my price range.

K back to topic...where'd you find Hawk Pads for $89?!?!?! Is this all around or jsut fronts, because I purchased all around for $140.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

What Logic class did you take in college? Spending $1000+ on brakes is not hardly the same as purchasing a Maxima especially when you can have excellent braking performance with Brembo blanks($130) and Hawk pads($89).

I don't want anyone to take offense, I'm sure the BBK is a quality kit with quality components but I stand by my statement.

My logic is straight; it’s your statement that doesn't make sense. excellent is subjective,

Some would swear that their OEM brakes are excellent
Some change pads and say their brakes are excellent
Some add SS lines and say their brakes are excellent
Some change rotors and say their brakes are excellent
Some do all of the above and say their brakes are excellent
Some get a BBK kit and say their brakes are excellent

It doesn’t work that way, its more like this or close to it

Some would swear that their OEM brakes are a OK
Some change pads and say their brakes are GOOD
Some add SS lines and say their brakes are VERY GOOD
Some change rotors and say their brakes are BEST
Some do all of the above and say their brakes are THE VERY BEST
Some get a BBK kit and say their brakes are THE VERY EFFING EXCELLENT

Your statement reflects your own experience and not something that is proven. Big brake kits, be it from Brembo, Wilwood, MB, Bear, AP Racing, blah, blah, blah offer the best possible braking, whether you agree with spending money on it is a different story.

*The kits put together everything that has been learned about improving braking in a car, ANY CAR!!!

SS lines - prevent lines from expanding, supplying maximum pressure directly to calipers

4-6-8 piston calipers - apply tremendous pressure to the pads , even out the pressure applied, different size pistons further distribute pressure evenly to allow for maximum "bite"

Drilled/slotted rotors - improve brake surface cooling

Large rotors - larger surface area, takes longer to heat up, resists warping

2-piece rotors with aluminum hats - will not rust, lightweight, lower un-sprung weight, lower rotational mass > I don’t have to tell you what that means. Obviously you’ve never handled these big boys to feel the difference.

lightweight calipers (aluminum) - lower un-sprung weight (big time) > BIG +!!!, increased caliper cooling, allows for better heat transfer away from the pads.

I didn't mean to offend you, just bring you up to speed. I am sure I've missed all the other extras gained by this/any kit; so anybody, feel free to add.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM

My logic is straight; it’s your statement that doesn't make sense. excellent is subjective,

Some would swear that their OEM brakes are excellent
Some change pads and say their brakes are excellent
Some add SS lines and say their brakes are excellent
Some change rotors and say their brakes are excellent
Some do all of the above and say their brakes are excellent
Some get a BBK kit and say their brakes are excellent

It doesn’t work that way, its more like this or close to it

Some would swear that their OEM brakes are a OK
Some change pads and say their brakes are GOOD
Some add SS lines and say their brakes are VERY GOOD
Some change rotors and say their brakes are BEST
Some do all of the above and say their brakes are THE VERY BEST
Some get a BBK kit and say their brakes are THE VERY EFFING EXCELLENT

Your statement reflects your own experience and not something that is proven. Big brake kits, be it from Brembo, Wilwood, MB, Bear, AP Racing, blah, blah, blah offer the best possible braking, whether you agree with spending money on it is a different story.

*The kits put together everything that has been learned about improving braking in a car, ANY CAR!!!

SS lines - prevent lines from expanding, supplying maximum pressure directly to calipers

4-6-8 piston calipers - apply tremendous pressure to the pads , even out the pressure applied, different size pistons further distribute pressure evenly to allow for maximum "bite"

Drilled/slotted rotors - improve brake surface cooling

Large rotors - larger surface area, takes longer to heat up, resists warping

2-piece rotors with aluminum hats - will not rust, lightweight, lower un-sprung weight, lower rotational mass > I don’t have to tell you what that means. Obviously you’ve never handled these big boys to feel the difference.

lightweight calipers (aluminum) - lower un-sprung weight (big time) > BIG +!!!, increased caliper cooling, allows for better heat transfer away from the pads.

I didn't mean to offend you, just bring you up to speed. I am sure I've missed all the other extras gained by this/any kit; so anybody, feel free to add.

ale jaja! lololol Good stuff. Have you checked your PM's xoomer?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:35 PM
aka The Doom Ship

No offense taken. I'm fully aware of the benefits of a BBK. And I also understand the foolishness of arguing about whether most people need a BBK on a forum that's built on tuning the Max. There are many arguments for getting a BBK and many against.

I happen to be one of those people that was not satisfied with the OEM brakes, they would heat up easily and the brake fade was very noticeable. The OEM rotors also warped easily. Since I've been on the forum I've only read about 1 person that was happy with their OEM brakes.

What I was simply stating is that anyone who has had problems with their OEM setup like I have will probably be very happy with the Brembos and Hawks like I am now.

And from what I've read so far EVERYONE who has gone with this setup is happy. Can't say the same for everyone on this board that purchased the BBK.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:47 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

And from what I've read so far EVERYONE who has gone with this setup is happy. Can't say the same for everyone on this board that purchased the BBK.
Happy is subjective, EVERYONE is happy with their setup which doesn't mean they wouldn't be HAPPY-ier with a different setup.

some are HAPPY with Honda Civic
some are HAPPY with MB S600
I am laughing my *** off,

but enough is enough, it takes away from the question in the original post.

Peace AllBlackMax
Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Happy is subjective, EVERYONE is happy with their setup which doesn't mean they wouldn't be HAPPY-ier with a different setup.

some are HAPPY with Honda Civic
some are HAPPY with MB S600
I am laughing my *** off,

but enough is enough, it takes away from the question in the original post.

Peace AllBlackMax
We're talking Maxima owners.

PS. You don't need 4 or 6 pistons for high performance stopping power. BMWs have been very successful with a single piston design. Just a little side note for you to do a little research on. ;-) LOL!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:16 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

[QUOTE=AllBlackMax]We're talking Maxima owners.

PS. BMWs have been very successful with a single piston design.QUOTE]

Man you need to do your research. If they are so sucessfull with the single pistons why are they including multi-piston design calipers on all "uber" models, for looks?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 AM
aka The Doom Ship

My point is that you can have very good braking with a single piston; not that multi piston designs are better or worse.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM

I replaced my entire front brake calipers for less than the price of a brake job. I now have SOLID calipers instead of sliding calipers, I have FOUR pistons spread over much wider area on BOTH sides of the rotor instead of one piston over narrow area on one side of rotor, I have aluminum calipers which weigh over 5 lbs lighter EACH side, I have NISSAN cast into the caliper making it very sharp looking when painted, AND finally, I can replace my pads in a few min. Oh . .and the Z calipers have tons more applications for performance pads than the OEM pads. Nuf said about cost effectiveness???
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I replaced my entire front brake calipers for less than the price of a brake job. I now have SOLID calipers instead of sliding calipers, I have FOUR pistons spread over much wider area on BOTH sides of the rotor instead of one piston over narrow area on one side of rotor, I have aluminum calipers which weigh over 5 lbs lighter EACH side, I have NISSAN cast into the caliper making it very sharp looking when painted, AND finally, I can replace my pads in a few min. Oh . .and the Z calipers have tons more applications for performance pads than the OEM pads. Nuf said about cost effectiveness???
DA MAN has spoken, RESPECT IT!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 AM

Can you use RTP rotors with the 4 piston wildwood calipers?? I think that may be a choice also.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by shawndon
Can you use RTP rotors with the 4 piston wildwood calipers?? I think that may be a choice also.
I'm sure that they have the size available.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 AM

With my OEM brakes, I saw a huge difference when I installed my SS lines. WOW. That was a huge, huge difference. Pedal travel was reduced a lot and became very sensitive. Can get the ABS to kick-in at 50 mph. But I have to agree, a few braking sessions at highway speed and fade sets in.

I am planning to get the Hawk Ceramic pads soon. I don't like the idea of 'warming up' the pads (HPS). I personnaly feel that most blanks (Brembo or others), once broken-in/polished, provide very similar grip for the pads. I did look into the BBK kit but opted to spend on Technosquare ECU and Y-pipe. Sorry guys but, IMO, BBK is just expensive bling.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by madmik
With my OEM brakes, I saw a huge difference when I installed my SS lines. WOW. That was a huge, huge difference. Pedal travel was reduced a lot and became very sensitive. Can get the ABS to kick-in at 50 mph. But I have to agree, a few braking sessions at highway speed and fade sets in.

I am planning to get the Hawk Ceramic pads soon. I don't like the idea of 'warming up' the pads (HPS). I personnaly feel that most blanks (Brembo or others), once broken-in/polished, provide very similar grip for the pads. I did look into the BBK kit but opted to spend on Technosquare ECU and Y-pipe. Sorry guys but, IMO, BBK is just expensive bling.
ohh how mistaken you are.

Try stopping from 100MPH 5 times in a row.

Then tell me how effective stock stuff is. Cause brother I have and beleive me, they aint got nothin on the good BBK kits out there.

Kamski