6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan OEM iPod write up

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:14 PM

more info/link on the ipod gateway
Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 AM

I have an 06 Max SE with No Navigation/Sat and No 6-cd changer... just the base factory stuff.. will I be able to use this and keep control of my steering wheel controls and see music information on the dash screen?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

For 04s that are not compatiable.

I installed my ipod interface for the factory head unit. From Neo Car Audio. I works great sound quality is awesome. I can control everything the head unit or steering wheel controls.

http://www.neocaraudio.com/index.php
or
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

Only downfall is that ipod info doesn't display on head unit. Honest to God it took 15mins to install and put everything back together.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 PM

maybe i missed it but you have to have the bose system to add the ipod or can you rigit for a non bose system
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You have to have the BOSE system to get the IPOD interface. I'm not sure why, and neither did my Nissan service tech, but that's the case.

In the first screen there is that picture where Nietzsche had the song and track on one screen. Does anyone know how to always have this display as the default? I can never get it to stay on that display, even if I switch to a CD or a radio station and then back to the IPOD.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Veterano
You have to have the BOSE system to get the IPOD interface. I'm not sure why, and neither did my Nissan service tech, but that's the case.

In the first screen there is that picture where Nietzsche had the song and track on one screen. Does anyone know how to always have this display as the default? I can never get it to stay on that display, even if I switch to a CD or a radio station and then back to the IPOD.
Man that makes me furious. Such horse doo-doo. I have a brand friggin new car and I can't even play mp3-discs in it nor can I hook up my ipod into my system and still be able to see the song name and use the steering wheel controls.

Brand friggin new car and 'semi-luxury' sedan and I cant even get basic features that a 12k ford focus can have...

Great job Nissan...
Old 03-31-2007, 07:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Veterano

No, this is the one thing has that really irked me about the satellite radio/iPod interface. To get this info to display, you hit the right **** ONCE. But if you turn off the radio or change inputs (which I believe actually turns off the satellite radio/iPod gateway), this setting is lost.

I was hoping that someone would develop something like the 'no-nag' hack for this, where there would be some kind of logic that detected you changing to the satellite radio/iPod input and then pulse the right **** input once. I guess if I get some free time (unlikely) and am feeling particularily adventurous one day, I may see how much of this is exposed and obvious, although I doubt that this would be trivial.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:56 AM

okay, update time for anyone who might be interested

I went to my dealership and had the iPod adapter installed yesterday.......

and it is absolutely AWESOME

just what i was looking for because it
1) allows me search through the iPod using steering wheel or HU
2) displays song data on screen
3) audio quality is waaaaay better than tape adapter or FM transmitter

i'd recommend it to anyone who's on the fence about buying one

Old 03-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by astrofil
Finally I have the answear for 04 integration!!!

If your car has the 6 last digits of VIN number 850000 or higher then in your car is installed Bose 6 CD unit part number 28188ZA31A. If you have installed that radio head unit then your car is compatible with OEM Ipod Gateway.

Otherwise if your car has vin number below 850000 then you have installed in your car Radio Head Unit part number 281887Y300 and this unit is not compatible with Ipod Gateway. In order to make that car compatible with Ipod Gateway you have to replace the radio unit #281887Y300 which is already installed in your car and is not compatible with an Ipod. New unit what you have to plug in is Radio unit part #28188ZA31A . Replacing that units is simple plug out and plug in procedure (no changes to the wireing) That unit you can find on Ebay for aprox. $200-$300.

After you have compatible Radio Head Unit you need to use these parts in order to connect the Ipod
999u7-vr000 - Ipod Gateway Control Unit
999u7-vs004 - Main Harness Wire

Good Lock
Update:

I'm a newb... Just purchased an 04' Max SL with VIN: 92XXXX (after the 850000 run...).

Without bothering to verify that the above information was guaranteed, I went to the Nissan dealership and purchased the OEM iPod interface with the appropriate D-harness...

Unfortunately, after tearing apart the dash, it turns out that in fact I have the 281887Y300 unit (not compatible).

So, unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is a reliable correlation between VIN and compatibility. I suggest to anyone who is in the same boat as me to tear back their dash and verify which radio unit they have before moving forward...
Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 PM

did u try to attempt to install it? the OP said it should work but it didnt on his because one of his pins were bent.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dumb question but hey why not ask to make sure.....Does this OEM Ipod hook up work with any mp3 player?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
did u try to attempt to install it? the OP said it should work but it didnt on his because one of his pins were bent.
I did install it... and unless I missed something/installed it incorrectly, it simply did not show up on the screen... When I pushed the SAT button, I still got "NO SAT"... and the iPod never showed the checkmark that it is supposed to show when it is engaged by another control unit...

Anyway, I could be wrong. Nevertheless, I followed instructions as carefully as possible and compared the photos at the beginning of the thread to ensure I had the right connections/connectors...

In all honesty, it wasn't that difficult, but just a pain to not realize that I had the wrong head unit.

Originally Posted by PeaktraaV
dumb question but hey why not ask to make sure.....
...Oh, believe me... I did!!! I asked one million and twelve people about it in advance. No one, anywhere, could give me a straight answer. Even Nissan Consumer affairs. All I got was:

A. "Hmm... I don't know..."
B. "It should work..."
C. "Uh... says here that it's only compatible with 2005 - 2007."

Originally Posted by PeaktraaV
Does this OEM Ipod hook up work with any mp3 player?
No. This particular adapter is iPod specific.

Last edited by U2Joshua; 03-02-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 PM

so if you don't have the +85000 this will not work correct?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 PM

does it say this: "If no iPod is present the head unit display should show "NO IPOD". If an iPod is connected to the system a check mark should be displayed on the iPod screen and audio should start playing in 5-20 seconds."
Old 03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

does it say this: "If no iPod is present the head unit display should show "NO IPOD". If an iPod is connected to the system a check mark should be displayed on the iPod screen and audio should start playing in 5-20 seconds."
Where would it say this? I don't recall seeing that anywhere...

Basically, I got nothing... when I hooked it up, plugged in the iPod, the iPod "turned on" (in that it lit up and showed what was playing most recently, but no checkmark or messages or anything), and as for the dash display, I would press "SAT" and it gave me the same thing I had before hooking it up, "NO SAT".

Did I do something wrong? Or is it just that my head unit is incompatible, as the earlier posts in this thread have indicated...
Old 03-02-2008, 10:06 PM

pm me ur email
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by studious04maxima
so if you don't have the +85000 this will not work correct?
Apparently, per the earlier discussions in the thread, coupled with my experience, the VIN is not a foolproof method of determining compatibility, as my VIN is 92XXXX... It's the Bose HU and whether you have one of two different serial-numbered units... I have the incompatible one...

Last edited by U2Joshua; 03-03-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM

updates?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

updates?
Special thanks to eK9aT10pSi... Thank you for providing me with the service manual (which is not included with the purchase of the Nissan OEM iPod Interface...) for installation of the interface.

I'm a bit embarrased, but as it turned out, I simply neglected to swap out one of the harnesses.

That said, all is up and running!!!

Sound quality is great. There seems to be a very slight hiss/buzzing, but only occasionally, leading me to believe that it may be something else going on...

All that said, I have the 04' Max SL with VIN after 850000, but radio unit which previously was believed not to work.

It does in fact "work". It will certainly take some getting used to. The controls are far from intuitive (granted, these HU's were never designed with the iPod in mind...). The interface is limited.

I've found that the best way for me to search my music is by album, in that when I search by artist, there are no subheadings once the artist is selected. So, in the case of Bob Dylan (for whom I have 50 albums on my iPod), when he is selected, it simply plays the first song on his first album, and I'd have to do some mean scrolling to get to the song(s) of choice on some of his later albums.

Also, I'm not sure that I have full steering wheel controls. Volume? Yes. Mode, however, which I believe is purported to allow scrolling through albums/playlists/artists/etc..., simply changes the stereo mode. So, if I'm listening to the iPod, and I press the mode button on the steering wheel, it changes to FM, cd, AM, etc...

If I can answer any questions, let me know!

Thanks again, eK9aT10pSi!

Last edited by U2Joshua; 03-04-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Didn't see if anyone posted the correct link for the Maxima install instructions... http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...34_07-wnav.pdf
enjoy thanks to Courtesy parts.com
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought an 06 Maxima SL with navigation, a Sirius Sat tuner, and the Bose system. It has an in dash 6 disc changer and a (god knows why) cassette player.

Is there an ipod integration kit that will work with this car? Following all of the posts here is a bit difficult without first knowing all of the options that were available for every year.

This system does not even play mp3 CDs.

I found the car over the weekend with just 8500mi on it and bought it that same day. I love the car. Completely loaded.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Monotaur
The installation instructions that I have (they were faxed from an printout, so the quality probably so good) are over at this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=484034&page=2

Anyway, Nietzsche, where did you end up placing the actual iPod? Did you follow the instructions and place it in the glove box or did you wind it to the center console?
Monotaur, it appears that thread has disappeared from the site. It isn't even in the archive. Any chance you could post up the installation instructions again? I see that thread referenced all over the place, but no way to get to it.

Also, again, can people confirm that this does work in the 2006 model with navigation?

Can anyone post a picture of what you see on the Nav screen when the ipod is active?

Also, how good is the ipod control with the radio controls? Can you find albums, turn on random mode, select playlists, etc? What sort of controls are they?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
Also, again, can people confirm that this does work in the 2006 model with navigation?
Yes, assuming you have the Bose system that the NAV equiped car should have.

Can anyone post a picture of what you see on the Nav screen when the ipod is active?
By default you just see the track number but you can change it easily to state the artist and song name. This display is not kept and when you restart your car you will have to change it to statee the artist and song name over if that is what you want to see instead of the track number.

Also, how good is the ipod control with the radio controls? Can you find albums, turn on random mode, select playlists, etc? What sort of controls are they?
The steering wheel controls are just for changing inputs (radio, CD, Ipod, etc.), volume, and skipping to the next or previous tracks. Changing the iPod listening catagories (playlist, artist, album, song name, etc.) are handled through the buttons on the dash in a somewhat awkards but functional manner.

I installed it in my car and decided to keep the iPod in the glovebox since at least that way I can keep it locked up. Knowing how the install is supposed to be done it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to do it and if somebody said they did it in 15 minutes I wouldn't be surprised.

I do have some pics or the installation somewhere so if you are interested I can post them up if desired.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM

How do you remove the center console? I don't see any screws or clips
Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BETO6700
you don't need to remove the center console but you need to remove the passenger side panel that the glovebox is fastened to.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by BETO6700
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/20
Old 04-09-2008, 12:52 PM

good info thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 PM

Hello there, Now that it's clear that the ipod will work with the oem nissan interface, now the one millon dollar question is...
Do the OEM nissan IPOD interface will work with the IPHONE??????
Old 05-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jorgep03
Hello there, Now that it's clear that the ipod will work with the oem nissan interface, now the one millon dollar question is...
Do the OEM nissan IPOD interface will work with the IPHONE??????

yes it works the same as with a regular ipod. i havent gotten a phonecall yet while i was plugged into the car so i dunno how the bluetooth will react.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 AM

Does anyone know if this will work on a '07 Infiniti M35? I have a friend who is about to lose it if he can't get his I Pod connected. Really upset that I have the mp3 plug in '07 max.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey can anyone link or email me at mattc908@gmail.com instructions on the install for a '05 maxima non nav. Thanks it would be much appreciated!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

??? Bump
Old 06-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I could use the 2005 install guide as well if someone has it.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max_Ash
I installed my ipod interface for the factory head unit. From Neo Car Audio. I works great sound quality is awesome. I can control everything the head unit or steering wheel controls.

http://www.neocaraudio.com/index.php
or
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

Only downfall is that ipod info doesn't display on head unit. Honest to God it took 15mins to install and put everything back together.
It is quite the downfall to not see info displayed on screen, but it worked on a non-Bose factory stereo?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought an interface off ebay a few weeks ago (i think brand was axxes, just search for maxima ipod) and it works pretty well. Info is displayed on my display. I hooked it into the back of my bose satellite port (2004 SL). I can control volume from steering wheel, but i can only switch between playlists with the steering wheel. To go through tracks in a playlist/album i have to use the console, so that kind of sucks. Browsing folders iwth numbered preset buttons is kind of complicated, so i just made a playlist for every album in itunes. Sound quality is excellent, and install took about an hour because I took my time. I wired it into the glovebox. I'm really happy that song titles and artist info display on the screen, that was the most important feature for me.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 AM

I have an '04 Maxima SL Bose w/Navi & my VIN# 854. I just spoke with my Nissan dealership & they quoted me $230 for the iPod OEM Gateway (which they said only works with '07 & up) & a installation fee of $130. Does that sound like a good price or is there another store or website that sells it cheaper & would this definitely work for my year?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM

I have a '04 SL that I'm debating whether to do this install for.

Does anyone know if this works with the new iPhone (without it going into airplane mode)?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 96redse
I bought an interface off ebay a few weeks ago (i think brand was axxes, just search for maxima ipod) and it works pretty well. Info is displayed on my display. I hooked it into the back of my bose satellite port (2004 SL). I can control volume from steering wheel, but i can only switch between playlists with the steering wheel. To go through tracks in a playlist/album i have to use the console, so that kind of sucks. Browsing folders iwth numbered preset buttons is kind of complicated, so i just made a playlist for every album in itunes. Sound quality is excellent, and install took about an hour because I took my time. I wired it into the glovebox. I'm really happy that song titles and artist info display on the screen, that was the most important feature for me.
I just bought this same interface and the sound quality is TRASH... there is absolutely no bass or bottom end whatsoever.....Hopefully I can get my money back from these guys cuz Im not happy at all..
Old 09-30-2008, 07:49 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

subscribed
Old 10-05-2008, 06:55 PM

IMPORTANT: I'm installing the ipod connector right now, can someone tell me where the harnass plugs into, because I can't understand any of the pictures where exactly its pluged into. Can someone help please?

Quick Reply: Nissan OEM iPod write up