6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan OEM iPod write up

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan OEM iPod write up

I finished testing it tonight and took some pics for everyone. I'll go over some points that I hear most often.

Do you have to remove the dash?

No - In my opinion though, to install it nice and hidden you do. I always go for the clean factory install.

Does it display the track/artist/album info?

Yes - You can adjust what it displays first through the display setting.

What parts do I us?

Here is a list of the part numbers:

999U7-VR000 - This is the iPod gateway(main unit)
999U7-VS004 - This is the main harness used for ALL installations
999U7-VS005 - This is the Sat harness used if you have Sat INSTALLED

If you don't listen to Sat radio then you don't need the Sat harness. If you want Sat radio later in life it's as easy as hooking up this harness.

If I missed anything major sorry!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

how much does the parts cost and where did you find them? what information did you see on the screen?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by kikepeluca
how much does the parts cost and where did you find them? what information did you see on the screen?
I'm returning one harness so that would bring my total down to 220 w/tax. I got it from my nissan dealership, you could get it from any number of online or local dealers.

If you consult the pics you can see that the information on the ipod is what gets displayed. Album/Song/Artist all pop up at various times, but not always together. It works just like the ipod menus basically - I have a third gen.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 AM

can you navigate (or at least switch tracks) with the steering wheel controls?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by roro
can you navigate (or at least switch tracks) with the steering wheel controls?
You can skip tracks by hold the up/down switch.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I can't understand how you move through all the different iPod menus. Are you able to see the Artist list or songs list, settings (EQ), Playlist, etc? Is there any way I can get the owners manual to really understand how it works?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:37 PM

You can access and scroll through the menus on the radio. Here a basic run down:

Select Artist/Album/Genre/Playlist/etc..

Scroll through selections and select.

That's pretty much it, there is no EQ setting because it's the line out not headphones. There is a setting menu for random/repeat.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:18 AM

so you don't need to have the ipod out? i mean you can hook it up in the glove box or the cubby in the center console?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 AM

My question would be; how would this differ on a 6th gen with Nav? Would the displays show the same as they do if XM was playing?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 AM

Does the Ipod automatically start playing where it left on when you turn the car on? Does the iPod turn off when yu turn the car off? Do you have to do anything to the iPod one it is hookd up in the glove box or once it is hooked up you have no need to open the glove box and turn it on/off, etc.?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by thephildo
so you don't need to have the ipod out? i mean you can hook it up in the glove box or the cubby in the center console?
You could put it under the dash if you wanted. I put it in the lower storage so I could access it easier for removal.

Originally Posted by lclrod
My question would be; how would this differ on a 6th gen with Nav? Would the displays show the same as they do if XM was playing?
It will show the artist and song while playing

Originally Posted by James_05SE
Does the Ipod automatically start playing where it left on when you turn the car on? Does the iPod turn off when yu turn the car off? Do you have to do anything to the iPod one it is hookd up in the glove box or once it is hooked up you have no need to open the glove box and turn it on/off, etc.?
It does start where you leave off. Everything is automatic, on/off and charging. Once you hook it up you never touch it unless you take it out of the car.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Has anyone installed this on a 04' with Bose? All the information indicates only 05-06.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by garose26
Has anyone installed this on a 04' with Bose? All the information indicates only 05-06.
For some reason, the online stores only list it for the 2005-2006. My installation instructions say it is applicable to the 04s as well. Also, my dealer has installed this in an 04 so I guess it is possible.

I hope to install mine in my 2004 soon (maybe this weekend).
Old 01-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you still navigate with the iPod? Can you access Podcasts? Were the harnesses long enough? Did you need any special tools to install this? Did you take the center console out? If so, where did you find the directions to remove it? Roughly, how long did this whole install take?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:38 PM

The iPod will not navigate while connected.

I don't do Podcasts so I have no idea.

No special tools

I took out the center console but you don't have to. It's just a few screws.

The way I did it, one hour. It could be done in ten minutes.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 PM

would this work on the navi screen as well?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM

Of course!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Mine is not working or I did something wrong

Originally Posted by Monotaur
For some reason, the online stores only list it for the 2005-2006. My installation instructions say it is applicable to the 04s as well. Also, my dealer has installed this in an 04 so I guess it is possible.

I have 2004 Maxima SE
I did connect my Ipod gateway today but the radio wont see the Ipod at all. I didnt have any instructions just took the radio out disconnect one of the plugs then connect additional harrness and gateway module. On the Ipod I can see the check picture but the radio do not see any Ipod. When I push the SAT button nothing happens. In my understanding to the Ipod gateway module should be connected only one plug and the other one is free. Anybody has any lack with 2004 connections any tips or instructions step by step ?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:22 PM

hello there, pls, tell me if I'm wrong, on your third picture looks like you opened the top of the console in order to plug the gateway, I mean the cover on top of the screen, Is this correct????
Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 PM

The installation instructions that I have (they were faxed from an printout, so the quality probably so good) are over at this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=484034&page=2

Anyway, Nietzsche, where did you end up placing the actual iPod? Did you follow the instructions and place it in the glove box or did you wind it to the center console?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by jorgep03
hello there, pls, tell me if I'm wrong, on your third picture looks like you opened the top of the console in order to plug the gateway, I mean the cover on top of the screen, Is this correct????
If I understand your question yes. The gateway module rests behind the info screen zip tied to the dash cross member.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 PM

The installation instructions that I have (they were faxed from an printout, so the quality probably so good) are over at this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=484034&page=2

Anyway, Nietzsche, where did you end up placing the actual iPod? Did you follow the instructions and place it in the glove box or did you wind it to the center console?

Thanks!
I finished after I took the initial pics, but I put it in the compartment behind(or in front depending how you look at it) the shifter. I didn't want to reach over to the glove box to remove it so I thought it would be more convenient to have it there.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:08 AM

Any lack with 2004 ?????????????????????????????????
Old 01-21-2007, 08:16 AM

Somebody knows why wont work in 2004. If somebody did connect in 04 please confirm. I have all the parts try to connect bat wont work. Is possible I did connect not right. (any connection diagrams greatly appreciated)
How many plugs I have to plug into the Gataway Module, one or two ?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Take a look at this page this could explain why some of the 2004 Maximas will not work with an Ipod gateway. Look at the VIN #
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/atta...chmentid=12525
Old 01-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by astrofil
Take a look at this page this could explain why some of the 2004 Maximas will not work with an Ipod gateway. Look at the VIN #
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/atta...chmentid=12525
Not sure, I think this only applies to the pre-wire harness that runs from the head unit to the trunk so that the satellite tuner can be plugged in. If I recall correctly, a member here actually purchased the pre-wire kit and ran it himself.

My car was a bit later so it came pre-wired and I have installed XM radio... I will try soon to install mine and report back. Sorry it's taken so long. We had lots of freezing rain last weekend and it was very cold (and sometimes we didn't have power), and it snowed quite this weekend as well. So, the next time we have a tolerable weekend I'll give it another shot (my garage isn't that well insulated, so it gets cold in there...).
Old 01-21-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I finished after I took the initial pics, but I put it in the compartment behind(or in front depending how you look at it) the shifter. I didn't want to reach over to the glove box to remove it so I thought it would be more convenient to have it there.
Good idea. I was thinking about putting it in the center console, but wasn't looking forward to removing all of the interior trim to do so... plus it still wouldn't have been as convenient for the passenger since the lid opens to the side, and I would have lost that as storage for other things.

Did you use the grommet that ships with the kit for running the wire into the compartment? Where did you drill the hole (upper back corner or somewhere else)?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:43 AM

04 install

Hej Monotaur

If you will take the radio head unit out to install the Gateway make a note of the part# on the Head Unit then all members can compare if the cars with the prewireing-wireing and without (the late models) have the same units.
We have to make it working.
I have the detailed electrical diagrams of whole sound system in 04 Maxima. If somebody can get any for 05-06 then we can compare what`s the differences. p.slabiak@gmail.com
Old 01-21-2007, 04:44 PM

Good idea. I was thinking about putting it in the center console, but wasn't looking forward to removing all of the interior trim to do so... plus it still wouldn't have been as convenient for the passenger since the lid opens to the side, and I would have lost that as storage for other things.

Did you use the grommet that ships with the kit for running the wire into the compartment? Where did you drill the hole (upper back corner or somewhere else)?
I didn't put it under the arm rest, I put it in the storage bin under the radio infront of the shifter.

I drilled the hole in the drivers side corner on top of the compartment so the wiring drops straight down and nothing else in the compartment can fall out the back. Plus if I ever get rid of the car you won't be able to tell there is a hole unless you take out the panel.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Hej Monotaur

If you will take the radio head unit out to install the Gateway make a note of the part# on the Head Unit then all members can compare if the cars with the prewireing-wireing and without (the late models) have the same units.
We have to make it working.
I have the detailed electrical diagrams of whole sound system in 04 Maxima. If somebody can get any for 05-06 then we can compare what`s the differences. p.slabiak@gmail.com
I'll see what I can do when I take apart my dash.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I didn't put it under the arm rest, I put it in the storage bin under the radio infront of the shifter.

I drilled the hole in the drivers side corner on top of the compartment so the wiring drops straight down and nothing else in the compartment can fall out the back. Plus if I ever get rid of the car you won't be able to tell there is a hole unless you take out the panel.
Yep, I understood... sorry if my note was confusing. That is actually exactly what I was wondering.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 AM

Could you give me the phone # to that dealer what have installed the 04 maxima Ipod interface?

Thanks
pslabiak@gmail.com
Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 PM

I did call the dealer and they said some of 04 may not work cause radio head unit is different compare to 05 models. I thing you can check if your car is compatible looking on that bulletin. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/atta...chmentid=12525
If your car is compatible with sat option then you don't have to worry.
I did connect the ipod system to my car which is the early ver. of 04 and seems to not working. To make sure they are right I`ll call few places and ask for a 05 maxima head unit part nr and compare with mine.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 PM

281887Y300
That`s mine part radio what seems to not working with the Ipod Interface
Please replay somebody with working radio part nr. Dealer said the 05 has different plugs at the back. Any pictures of the harnesses from 05 appreciated
Old 01-23-2007, 05:19 PM

hello i have an 04 3.5 SL and want to integrate my ipod. i read the posts and was wondering if anybody had any luck yet with the full integration, that allows steering wheel control and dsiplays the ipod on the sat viewer.any help would greatly be appreciated.i went to a local installer and they said the only thing they have available doesn't allow for full integration.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by burtinos
hello i have an 04 3.5 SL and want to integrate my ipod. i read the posts and was wondering if anybody had any luck yet with the full integration, that allows steering wheel control and dsiplays the ipod on the sat viewer.any help would greatly be appreciated.i went to a local installer and they said the only thing they have available doesn't allow for full integration.

What are your 8 last digits of the vin nr?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 PM

currently at work will post the numbers in am. thanks for the reply
Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 AM

What are your 8 last digits of the vin nr?
THESE ARE THE LAST 8 DIGITS OF MY VIN# 927706.DOES THAT HELP AT ALL?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 AM

by me you can go ahead and try the installation cause you have the vin # above 850000
Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 AM

THAT`S THE COMPARE TWO CARS PRE 850000 VIN# AND AFTER

2004 last 7 of vin C805713 RADIO# 281887Y300
2005 last 7 of vin C858005 RADIO# 28188ZA31A
Looks like two different radio part # but by me the plugs look the same can anybody post the pictures of the plugs from 05 please.

Quick Reply: Nissan OEM iPod write up