6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Can't move seat back/forward anymore

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:12 AM

Can't move seat back/forward anymore

I have a 2004 Maxima SL (about 63,000 miles), with basically all options
except the moonroof. Last week I found that when I tried to move the
driver's power seat forward, it moved on the right side, but not on the
left. I couldn't see anything mechanical obstructing it. I brought it
into the Nissan dealer, and they said they had seen problem with some cable
or something not feeding power to one of the motors on both Maximas and
Pathfinders.

They checked my vehicle, and this is what they found. Unfortunately, they
explained to me that they had no way to replace just that cable, and so I
had to buy a complete "seat slide/motor kit" (PN 87451-5Z50A 427.86).
This was going to cost over $400!! And with the labor, tax, etc., the
total bill would come to well over $600!!

Has anyone seen this before and figured out a more reasonable way to fix it?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to my seat, only I bought it to the service center and they fixed it free of cost. The only annoying thing now is that the seat itself, not the power option is moving forward and back slightly. It's just annoying when I brake, my entire seat shifts forward a little bit.

600 is pretty steep..
Old 02-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by normkit108
I had the exact same thing happen to my seat, only I bought it to the service center and they fixed it free of cost. The only annoying thing now is that the seat itself, not the power option is moving forward and back slightly. It's just annoying when I brake, my entire seat shifts forward a little bit.

600 is pretty steep..
Was your Maxima still under warrantee? If so, that explains why they repaired it for free.

If not, on what basis did they fix it for free, and do you know exactly what they did to repair it, in terms of which parts they replaced, etc.?

The original post here is actually precisely my situation. I called Nissan's Customer Service, eventually spoke with a Regional Service Manger, who in turn spoke with the dealership to get the specifics, but they refused to do anything whatsoever about it.

I completely agree - over $600 is totally outrageous for a minor problem like this. Why do I have to pay for probably 90% of the parts that are working fine in order to replace what is apparently a single cable that has malfunctioned??

Any other thoughts/suggestions here appreciated.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just did some searching, and came across TSB # 05105, 11/29/2005, NHTSA ID # 10017777, which pertains to no or improper forward or backward movement in the power seat assembly. I have been unable to find the full text of this TSB, to see if it directly pertains to this situation.

Does anybody have legitimate access to this TSB, and can either email it to me, or post it (if it is legitimate to do so)?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by dlcphoto
Was your Maxima still under warrantee? If so, that explains why they repaired it for free.

If not, on what basis did they fix it for free, and do you know exactly what they did to repair it, in terms of which parts they replaced, etc.?

The original post here is actually precisely my situation. I called Nissan's Customer Service, eventually spoke with a Regional Service Manger, who in turn spoke with the dealership to get the specifics, but they refused to do anything whatsoever about it.

I completely agree - over $600 is totally outrageous for a minor problem like this. Why do I have to pay for probably 90% of the parts that are working fine in order to replace what is apparently a single cable that has malfunctioned??

Any other thoughts/suggestions here appreciated.

Yeah, I was covered under warranty and insisted the seat be fixed upon delivery of the car. The forward and back power function was fixed, however the seat didn't hold in place...It helped when one of my buddies was working at the service center.

It would help to find the part/problem for cheap and take it to a reputable mechanic..
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 PM

WOW, I am having the EXACT SAME problem... just started as well

$600.00... darn, that sucks.. I'm gonna take it anyway to see what they say... Car has about 64k... interesting...
Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jvienneau
I have a 2004 Maxima SL (about 63,000 miles), with basically all options
except the moonroof. Last week I found that when I tried to move the
driver's power seat forward, it moved on the right side, but not on the
left. I couldn't see anything mechanical obstructing it. I brought it
into the Nissan dealer, and they said they had seen problem with some cable
or something not feeding power to one of the motors on both Maximas and
Pathfinders.

They checked my vehicle, and this is what they found. Unfortunately, they
explained to me that they had no way to replace just that cable, and so I
had to buy a complete "seat slide/motor kit" (PN 87451-5Z50A 427.86).
This was going to cost over $400!! And with the labor, tax, etc., the
total bill would come to well over $600!!

Has anyone seen this before and figured out a more reasonable way to fix it?

Thanks
I feel for ya, I had my lumbar and seat front up down tilt break (on seperate occasions) Well I was under 36k and fixed under warrenty. THEN I had the recall work done for the wire you are talkign about, they wired the damn thing so the track was rubbing the wire and it ended up pulling it out on egress and my seat back tilt broke. That happened out of warrenty but they owned up to it and fixed it free. But if I was inyour position and had to pay $600 to fix it, id say the hell with it if the seat was in a comfortable position. I mean seriously ya know?

The seat is the biggest problem I have had with this car, all this and the seat heat is terrible as you all know who live in cold climates. These seats suck!!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:54 PM

any of you guys experiencing the seat shifting forward and back? I would brake the entire dam seat would shift forward like an inch or so and then back..its annoying the crap outta me.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$600, that sucks. I searched NISSANHELP.COM and found NISSAN recall TSB PB011 (NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V512000) but it applies to specific VIN numbers. Check yours. I'd say since this is a recall it goes beyond the normal warranty. Tell the dealer you never received the recall notice and this defect is about a fire hazard.

If the dealer does not want to do it, call NISSAN at 1-800-647-7261 and tell them you never receive the recall. Mention you get a bizarre smell when you try to activate the seat (Remember, the recall is about a possible fire hazard).

You can search the NHTSA site to find the exact recall. Once you find it, click on 'document search' to find the recall docs and NISSAN letter in pdf format.

" Nissan has determined that some 2004-2006 model year Nissan Maxima vehicles equipped with the driver seat power lumbar support may have a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety. The wire harness from the driver seat power lumbar support switch may be routed incorrectly and pinched under the seat. A pinched harness in combination with driving vibration may result in a short circuit in the harness that could lead to a fire in the seat."
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Same problem, only the right side of the seat moves forward/back and only a few inches. If I call nissan and say its not operational and its causing a "bizarre smell" is it at least possible to get it taken care of?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM
SuPeRmOd

who are you asking in this 3 year old thread?

it can be taken care of with an active warranty, or you pay to have it fixed.
only thing i can think of otherwise is if your recall has not be performed yet for the wires, but even that is a way long shot.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 PM
SHIFT_my stick

STOP

this happened to me... pull the seat apart, the power wire prolly got lose and isnt jammed in enough. save ur $$$$
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by lblackonblackl
STOP

this happened to me... pull the seat apart, the power wire prolly got lose and isnt jammed in enough. save ur $$$$
there ya go hopefully that's what's needed.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Sry I'm new at DIY electronics with this car... so do I have to unbolt the seat and just fish around making sure everything is locked in tight? I've never even looked under there so I don't even know where to start.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM

I'm having the same issue with my drivers seat. Only the right side moves. So took the motor out and took it a part. The teeth in the gear that move the threaded rod are broken. If I could easily post some pics I would. I work in the automotive industry and if one vehicle has this failure there are probably many more. This gear should not fail like this. I'm going to the dealer and complain tomorrow. They will probably not do anything. I'm also goign to write a letter to Nissan. If anyone wants pics let me know.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just had the same thing happen with my drivers seat. The plastic ring gear that moves the seat forward and back lost some teeth. Did you find a replacement instead of buying the $200 motor assembly? Please let me know if there is a low cost alternative to buying the whole damn thing.

Thanks, Charles
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 AM

I ended up buying a new motor assembly for $200. You could search some junk yards for seats.