6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Kinetix intake installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:44 PM

haha, crazy weather. It was 85 a couple days ago here in tx and I woke up to SNOW! Something we havent had all winter and now that winters gone it pops up.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's crazy. I'm sure they're going to shut down San Antonio tonight since it's raining in sub 40-degree weather.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:50 PM

what the, LOL.. its hot as hell down here for this time of the year..
Old 04-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Just more updates. It seems as if the car is adjusting to the manifold in a GOOD way. Throttle response is fantastic. The engine has a lower gutteral sound. I splashed some 100 octane last night. Dayum!!! Im really lovin this car.

In a trip to LA airport area yesterday, doing 85+ and then some stop and go, I got 30 mpg.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

When are the said dyno plans? 30mpg? Not from the trip readout I hope..
Old 04-08-2007, 04:35 PM

Is it required to get a SAFC or VAFC for this to work properly? I am only using the Fajita CAI at current...
Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

Depends on your current AFR. But any AFC is a useful tool on these cars, so wither way it's a good investment.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

nice looking place, Jealous and ready to move outta Brooklyn.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:21 PM

OT, dues, gotta writeup on the red trim on the grille, looks HOT!!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:03 PM

I wonder if we can talk to them about doing a group deal on these things.... of course, I'm still waiting for the video clip, but from the way Deus is describing it, I want one!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:22 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Ritz
I wonder if we can talk to them about doing a group deal on these things.... of course, I'm still waiting for the video clip, but from the way Deus is describing it, I want one!
That makes two of us

Kam
Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 AM

Has anyone contacted Kinetix about a group deal?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 AM

I sent em an email after I posted my last post.... waiting on the reply...
Old 04-10-2007, 08:18 AM

Kinetix offered us and the Alti guys a GD when the IM first came out. It was $750 shipped for at least 10 people. It fell through because of the unimpressive dynos that the two Alti testers saw and because of the high price. These were N/A dynos of course, because this IM probably might be decent if you had some sort of FI, but still nothing that you couldn't do by modifying the stock IM.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 PM

very nice
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Kinetix offered us and the Alti guys a GD when the IM first came out. It was $750 shipped for at least 10 people. It fell through because of the unimpressive dynos that the two Alti testers saw and because of the high price. These were N/A dynos of course, because this IM probably might be decent if you had some sort of FI, but still nothing that you couldn't do by modifying the stock IM.
Bah, dyno shmyno, looks 10 times better then the stock piece of siht and its an instant butterfly mod and and aaaaand gives the cour a nice "gutteral" growl.

Kamski
Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 PM

Uhhh, are you going to post any vids??? I really want to here this thing roar...
Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Banned

I think you really want a car with one of these under the hood
Old 04-12-2007, 10:27 AM

Here's a link to an I/H/E 3.5L Altima thread with dyno graphs for the Kinetix IM:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...hlight=kinetix

Here's the pics of the dyno graphs:

As you can see, these dyno's were on version 3 of the Kinetix SSV IM, which was supposedly the production version (though I cannot say for certain w/o contacting them and asking questions). Best dyno run showed gains of 11.4 peak HP and 15.8 peak ft-lbs. As you can see there is a bit of a loss before 3500RPM. After that it makes power over the stock manifold between 3600-4600 and 5000-redline.

This mod isn't really worth it unless you're already running I/H/E as a couple of other Alti guys bought into this product w/o I/H/E and saw little to no gains on dynos before/after.

Also, and this is a BIG also, the Kinetix SSV to the best of my understanding is prone to heat soak as it is made from stainless steel versus the stock IM which is aluminum. Aluminum has 4 1/2 times more heat conductivity (read thermal transfer) than stainless steel. One look at heat exchanger technologies and you'll see the most efficient models are made with aluminum fins versus the cheaper models with SS, galvanized steel, or copper fins.

One thing you'll probably notice with the Kinetix SSV is that your hood will run considerably cooler than with the stock IM, this is because the Kinetix IM is absorbing and transferring less heat versus the stock IM. Heat is the enemy of performance in the intake tract. While the SSV may allow more airflow due to it's gutted/larger airway internals (you can also gut your stock IM and gain nearly the same performance advantage BTW), the heatsoak will offset the gains once the engine warms up unless you solve the heatsoak problem. The plenum spacer that is being produced would definitely help with this issue, plenum spacers have already been proven to add power in the G35/350 community. I'm not sure if the Kinetix SSV will be compatible with the plenum spacers being developed for the stock IM though. In general, in the 350/G35 community, the aftermarket IM's are laughable, everyone knows of these issues and everyone will say that they are worthless and to go with a good plenum spacer instead for the reasons I've listed here.

One thing is for certain, the Kinetix SSV is very pretty. I'm just far from certain that it's worth 800 dollars given all the trouble we've seen with this IM in the Alty 3.5L community to date. We've been working with Kinetix for about three years now on this project, basically we gave up on it due to the reasons outlined here.

Sorry I don't mean to be the bearer of any bad news or to rain on the OP's parade, just want to be honest and open about what we've seen and the reasons why we're suspect of this mod over on nissanclub.com.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:16 PM

Got a reply from Kinetix about the group buy... they said if we can get 8 or more, they can let them go for $750 shipped.. still a bit steep, but it's better..
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 AM

Well, we`can all sit here and speculate til the next millenium about whether its good, or bad, high end power, low end loss, blah blah blah. I have it on my car, and I love the throttle response, I love the strong pull above 3,500 where it counts, I love the sound, and I love the look. I saw a dyno graph that shows 14 hp gains. Also remember, I have the TS ECU reflash, so Im sure I am getting more power from 6,000-7,100.

And to top it off, its quite a stunner when you open the hood. I went to a Nissan dealer yesterday, and the salesman asked me to pop the hood. In addition to the aforementioned gains, watching his mouth literally drop open was worth the cost of the intake.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 AM

Check out this thread from a guy who has an 05 Altima SE-R who bought the Kinetix in January. Look at post #14.
http://www.nissanforums.com/l31-2002...ml#post1157963

Any, by the way, my gas mileage is about 1-3 mpg better. Woohoo!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Well, we`can all sit here and speculate til the next millenium about whether its good, or bad, high end power, low end loss, blah blah blah. I have it on my car, and I love the throttle response, I love the strong pull above 3,500 where it counts, I love the sound, and I love the look. I saw a dyno graph that shows 14 hp gains. Also remember, I have the TS ECU reflash, so Im sure I am getting more power from 6,000-7,100.

And to top it off, its quite a stunner when you open the hood. I went to a Nissan dealer yesterday, and the salesman asked me to pop the hood. In addition to the aforementioned gains, watching his mouth literally drop open was worth the cost of the intake.
Deus,

I see you're running i/y/e/ecu so I'd estimate you'll see some real measureable benefit on a dyno from the SSV IM. My only point per my comments above was that I would not bother to do this mod until after i/h/e at the very least, and ecu ala TS or SAFC and UTEC or something along this line would also help. Adding an SAFC, eManage, or UTEC has been shown, even on bone stock 3.5L Alties, to add 10+whp with a good a/f tune. TS is similar however it's a one time ecu remap instead of being able to tune a/f "on the fly" via a dyno.

One of the posts in the same thread you referred to, here's a paste:

an intake manifold is definitely a great buy, especially from kinetix,but do you have any other mods? if not, i would hold on putting the manifold in and concentrate on the more common bolt-ons so that power is distributed equally. I had a buddy who put a kinetix manifold on his 350z before anything else and ended up losing top-speed and power. Just giving you the heads up! As soon as he got the headers and exhaust put in, it ran like a damn monster.
Just helps to prove my point, don't bother with the SSV IM unless you're already running i/h/e. Deus, when are you adding headers?! Are you one of the many waiting for Cattman to produce the wideband O2 EGR compatible headers for the 04+ Max's? I've been interacting with Brian trying to get him to produce headers for the 05+ 3.5L Alties that have the wideband O2 sensors as I believe the 04+ Max's do, hopefully the same header design can be used in both vehicles.

I will also say that I believe you'll see a MUCH better dyno result with a good plenum spacer mod with the SSV IM. This is what we've seen in the G35/350 community.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Cj: I agree that having other mods greatly improves the performance of the Kinetix, with the ultimate being forced induction. I am working with Brian to produce the header for the 6th Gen maxima. He is producing a y pipe first, and then headers. As soon as the Cattman header is produced, Ill be getting one, which I believe will be in summer 07.

If I knew more about the safc and other tuning products, Id be all over them. If you or anyone can direct me to a link which explains safc and which product is best for our applications, Id appreciate it.

I am waiting on production of the phenolic spacer and I plan to insulate underneath the manifold. If someone made a hood with a small scoop in front, that would be great too.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:27 AM

And by the way, Im trying to figure out a nice looking engine cover. Not sure i can mod exisiting one
Old 04-14-2007, 11:38 AM
TAZ

isn't there a CF cover around somewhere?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:48 PM

I heqard there may be but I dont know. I may need to custom make one because the stock one covers part of the intake runners. I may try to trim it, but not thrilled abt cutting into my OEM cover.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:29 PM
.org extraordinaire

If someone made a hood with a small scoop in front, that would be great too.
You can get a scoop but i would get a reverse one where it will vent hot air out of the engine bay out over the windshield. That should give u nice air cooling over the inside of the engine. Cool air through front grill, and warm air out through the rear scoop.

Kamski
Old 04-14-2007, 02:02 PM
dot dot dot ...

I still haven't seen any dyno graphs that go to 7100.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:29 PM

Im going to the Stillen meet, so maybe you will.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:31 PM

I did a rough trim of the engine cover, just to see what it looks like. Here are some pics:

Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 PM

I did a rough trim of the engine cover, just to see what it looks like. Here are some pics:

sexy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 04-14-2007, 02:41 PM

I have to say that sure beats the stock cover's silver "runners".
Old 04-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I like it, great start!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 PM

And the second stage, all bolted up. I had to make two holes. One is visible on the upper right side. Tuyhe other bolt is near the metal air condiitoning hose on the left. The other I made a spacer and bolted it to the side. Totally secure now. I have some finish work to do on it, but wanted to get opinions. I may put some thin red pin striping.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Looks trashy compared to your intake and pipe. I'd throw it out and do a one off.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Well, I cant imagine how to design and build a one-off valve cover. I figured if I painted this gloss black, and maybe pin striped it with red stripes to match teh rims, it would look better. Maybe someone can photoshop this pic with ideas???
Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Your MAF housing is too small.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 PM

Start sanding, use some putty, sand again, paint. Pretty simple, but time consuming. I'd get ride of the numbers and logo so it's all nice and smooth. Some nice gloss black with red pin strips and BAM! A beautiful one off piece just for you.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:56 PM
.org extraordinaire

Well, I cant imagine how to design and build a one-off valve cover. I figured if I painted this gloss black, and maybe pin striped it with red stripes to match teh rims, it would look better. Maybe someone can photoshop this pic with ideas???
Deuski, smooth out the edges, get it all nice and clean, then paint the letters red and the cover gloss black and add your red striping to any embossed pieces.

Kamski

Quick Reply: Kinetix intake installed!!!