6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Problems with the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 PM

Problems with the dealer?

Hey guys,

Well, I just installed my Fujita Intake about 400 miles ago, and I just got a letter in the mail from my dealer saying that my car should be ready for a 6 month/7500 mile check up.

I've heard a few stories about people having trouble with dealers over modified cars. Would it be worth the time to take off the Fujita and replace it with the stock airbox when I take the car in, or would the dealer even care what I did to the car? I'm guessing that since there is nothing wrong with the car right now that they have to fix, they really can't say anything about the intake?

Thanks in advanced for your help...
Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM

I took my car to the dealer for the 30k service and just told them I don't need an air filter
Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by STARR
I took my car to the dealer for the 30k service and just told them I don't need an air filter
\

Sounds like perfect advice!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 PM

they wont tell u anything..........
Old 07-23-2007, 11:14 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Ha some will...i went to my deal and they gave me a hard time so i went to a diff one .. just depends on the place
Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Depends on how much authority you give them, being that you (and I) are one of the "young ones" that most people will think are retarded when it comes to automotive knowledge..."hmmmmmmm let's see here, well, you are scheduled for an transmission flush, a coolant flush, your grill is peeling, but it won't be covered under warranty, BUT if you get a new one, then it will make it more aerodynamic because the flakes won't induce drag, I also see that you just got your oil change, but just to make sure and keep the motor clean, I would suggest getting it replaced again and getting our OEM oil filter instead of the Mobil1 that you currently have; all of this would come to a small sum of about $550, give or take a few dollars, and if you get it all done today, then I will take off an extra $10..........so what do you say?"

That was obviously over-exaggerated, but you get my drift
Old 07-24-2007, 02:36 PM

I would take it off better safe than sorry, if they see it they might "note" it in the system. Then your effed
Old 07-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Depends on how much authority you give them, being that you (and I) are one of the "young ones" that most people will think are retarded when it comes to automotive knowledge..."hmmmmmmm let's see here, well, you are scheduled for an transmission flush, a coolant flush, your grill is peeling, but it won't be covered under warranty, BUT if you get a new one, then it will make it more aerodynamic because the flakes won't induce drag, I also see that you just got your oil change, but just to make sure and keep the motor clean, I would suggest getting it replaced again and getting our OEM oil filter instead of the Mobil1 that you currently have; all of this would come to a small sum of about $550, give or take a few dollars, and if you get it all done today, then I will take off an extra $10..........so what do you say?"

That was obviously over-exaggerated, but you get my drift
I understand what you're saying. In all reality, it's just a couple people that really ruin it for everyone. People think that because we're younger, we just don't care about our cars, and we have absolutely no idea about anything, when the reality of it is, that a lot of us actually know a lot more than the guy at the dealer.

I really don't have a choice to go to another dealer, because I live in Wyoming, and there is only one Nissan dealer that's within a days drive of where I live.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by EMAXX
I really don't have a choice to go to another dealer, because I live in Wyoming, and there is only one Nissan dealer that's within a days drive of where I live.
lol
Old 07-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Id say take it off, For why, read my thread I made it a few days ago its called "intake dilemma" but anyways most dealers dont like intakes, even if your buying it from them.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by turbodub
I would take it off better safe than sorry, if they see it they might "note" it in the system. Then your effed
Sorry but I totally disagree with this statement, you can order NISMO CAI's from most Nissan Dealerships and get their service departments to install them. The car is going in for scheduled maintenance not warranty work and even if it were it still would not be a problem. CAI's on 6th Gens are nothing new to most Nissan dealerships, they actually started seeing them in 2004 when Injen built the first one for the 6th Gen, I'm confident after 3+ years they are fairly common...
Old 07-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would say take it off if you installed it yourself. Because if you make any modifications on your own. It'll void your warranty. Unless Nissan installed it or you had a professional shop do it for you . I had to take out my system before I took my car in. Cause I did it myself. Haha it drained my battery, so in order to get a new battery... The system had to go. And if Nissan found out or saw it. My warranty would've been voided.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by dizdoodrockie
I would say take it off if you installed it yourself. Because if you make any modifications on your own. It'll void your warranty. Unless Nissan installed it or you had a professional shop do it for you . I had to take out my system before I took my car in. Cause I did it myself. Haha it drained my battery, so in order to get a new battery... The system had to go. And if Nissan found out or saw it. My warranty would've been voided.
I disagree, almost every performance part that is a bolt up will not void the warranty, unless your installing it inside the engine itself like a fly-wheel, CAMs etc.

Not sure what you installed that drained your battery, however in your case, then your statement would apply!!!

A CAI WILL NOT VOID A WARRANTY, regardless of who installed it...

My god people, why would a dealership deny scheduled maintenance, this is not warranty work and he's paying for it!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

6 month/7500 miles????

Why even check it? to give the stealerships a chance to find/cause something so that you have to come back to get it fixed. Sorry bro, I just don't trust the dealers. SKIP IT

....unless you are required because you're leasing.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:20 AM

If you can change your own intake, you can do your own 7500 mile service. They can't force you (I believe even on a lease) to take it to them for maintenance.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless that warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids the warranty or that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or proffer a questionable explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law."

But, they have to allow for aftermarket parts like shocks, plugs, oil, coolant, etc. CAI is just an air filter. Very difficult for them to prove that those aftermarket parts are bad for your car. The only exception I know is the tranny oil. Get the dealer stuff.

If my dealer suspects the aftermarket part or modification is causing my problem, he will ask me to get it back to OEM before running diagnostics (except for my NISMO CAI). They have found that too many times, aftermarket radios or other mods have made them waste lots of time. He also stated that if my mods are slowing down the tech, I may have to pay for the difference in labor. I know where I stand with Brown's in Arlington, VA. Great dealer.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:06 PM

took my 05 in for some warranty work no problems or mention of my cai.