6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Back in Action!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:43 PM
SickSE

Back in Action!!!

After months of tinkering with condensation and foggy lenses, I finally sealed them up. What a horrible experience this conversion has been. The trick was some silicone sealant from home depot with which I covered every corner. Here are some pics from my phone sorry about the quality.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 PM

been wanting to do this for months already but dont want to try my luck w/ the condensation especially w/ all the rain here in miami for the next few months..maybe for the fall ill try it out
Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 PM
SickSE

This is what you do. Buy 2 new headlights off of ebay that are xenon. Plug those babys in and your good to go. Just make sure they come with ballasts and bulbs and of course not damaged. Its a good idea to message the seller before hand to make sure if your not satisfied i.e there is moisture in the new lights, you can return them for a refund. Not bad at all. Wish somebody would have told me this before I started my conversion.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 PM

yea that is the way i would have done and if they come out fine then you can do it to the second set and sell them
Old 08-09-2007, 02:47 PM
KC's FINEST

What was the condensation from? You bought them that way? Why would they have been opened in the first place?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:44 PM

Cant stop myself from saying it, BUT I TOLD YA!
Old 08-09-2007, 03:46 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by I VIK I
Cant stop myself from saying it, BUT I TOLD YA!
everyone told ya... this has been posted b4 either way good "FIND"

Old 08-09-2007, 04:16 PM
SickSE

Most people wind up drilling thru the back of the light to connect to the ballast. Improper sealing afterwards is the cause of the condensation. Buying xenon lamps is more money, but will ensure a flawless result.

I hope you are not talking about my car... Trust me "fast" if you plan on doing this I am sure you will have some questions. So why not just be nice about it. Its a little more complicated than painting random pieces of plastic.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Nice job SickSE...i was planning on getting one of those conversion kits but you say just buy a pair of xenon headlight projectors off ebay and install them and you will be good to go? please tell me more about that.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by SickSE
Most people wind up drilling thru the back of the light to connect to the ballast. Improper sealing afterwards is the cause of the condensation. Buying xenon lamps is more money, but will ensure a flawless result.

I hope you are not talking about my car... Trust me "fast" if you plan on doing this I am sure you will have some questions. So why not just be nice about it. Its a little more complicated than painting random pieces of plastic.

I've done it and it was a piece of cake...I did have questions but then i read the instructions and also the useful stickies I have had NO condensation problems on any of the sets i have installed.

It might have to do w/ living in california ... we dont have to deal w/ extreme weather
Old 08-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05

it was not meant to be me as a individual.... meaning im not really taking credit it was a blurt...
Old 08-09-2007, 05:56 PM
SickSE

Nice job SickSE...i was planning on getting one of those conversion kits but you say just buy a pair of xenon headlight projectors off ebay and install them and you will be good to go? please tell me more about that.
Actually its not just the projectors I was referring to. I went ahead and bought 2 new headlights (xenon) off of Ebay to ensure a totally factory look. Now you can order the 200 dollar conversion kit and risk it BUT having done that myself I HIGHLY recommend just buying 2 xenon headlights. (2 hours after the 2 hour install I noticed fog inside of the lens. Major bummer.) You can find headlights on Ebay for a little over 200 a piece. The xenon option is well over a thousand dollars so it is most definitely a deal.

So anyway, if you want to do what I did "the safe way".... (spend around 500 dollars)

1. Buy a passenger and drivers side headlight (whole thing). Make sure the ballast and bulb are included and make sure the headlight WORKS. Ask the seller before buying and make absolutely sure the headlights work, are xenon, and if they have been damaged in any way. Also ask about the return policy if for some reason they do not. Thats important.
2. Once the lights arrive, simply pull the bumper off and unplug your old ones, plug in the new ones, put the front bumper back on. Or let the stealership switch out the old headlights with the new if you don't feel like doing it yourself.
3. Friiken enjoy. I absolutely love mine and even though I went the hard route, it was well worth it in the end.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:09 PM

The only reason im asking is cuz I asked the stealership if I bought the xenon headlights and replaced them would it work. They told me no. But man Im glad you did it and it came out fine cuz I was very skeptical about the conversion kits.

As for the ebay buying stuff...I will make sure they work and ask about the return policy if they dont. Thanks for all the info SickSE.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
SickSE

Not a problem. Yea the stupid dealership told me the same thing. Of course they might change their mind if you bought it from them....

Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Well $500 on ebay versus $1000 at the stealership sounds good to me. Best thing is KNOWING it will come out good and not worring about aftermarket kits no matter how good "other" people say they are.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 PM

I bought OEM Xenon headlights off eBay too and I can also say that it's just plug-n-play. Just a simple swap of the headlights is all it takes.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:29 AM
.org extraordinaire

K, for all you guys that think setting up a xenon mod is hard......... damn.....

After some tard mash hit my passenger side headlight... I had to replace it. But the stealership quoted me $900 for one side only.

So I did the next best thing... I bought PrjctMax's non-xenon headlights and then...... took the passenger side apart and transfered all my xenon gear into it.

Ok. Let me tell somting to ju. I had to drill the bottom of the non-xenon version out so that i could stuff the stock ballast in there, I had to drill out the back of the DRL location so that it would comply with canadian DRL laws.

And guess what...... I also painted them black. On top of that... click on link below.

4th picture DOWN, LOOK NO FOGGING

It all depends on how careful you are and how well you do the job. Thats all there is to it.

Kamski