6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
PrjctMax, as a retired military person with 24 years of service, please don't make me have to bust up this dumb a$$ comment...

Serious, it's stupid!!!
Like I told you Chris, I did NOT mean to be "funny" or disrespectful to anyone in the military. I was just confused on redmaxpa007's comment and that is also why I asked for further explanation.

I've "known" quite a few of you for quite some time that have either served, or have someone you love serving right now, and the last thing on my mind would be to insult any of you.

Mark, Warren, Chris, and anyone else-I'm sincerely sorry, and did not mean to insult you, or anyone that has or currently is serving our country.

Last edited by !PrjctMax!; 12-09-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Like I told you Chris, I did NOT mean to be "funny" or disrespectful to anyone in the military. I was just confused on redmaxpa007's comment and that is also why I asked for further explanation.

I've "known" quite a few of you for quite some time that have either served, or have someone you love serving right now, and the last thing on my mind would be to insult any of you.

Mark, Warren, Chris, and anyone else-I'm sincerely sorry, and did not mean to insult you, or anyone that has or currently is serving our country.

That's why I like you Dan, thanks for the PM and thanks for clarifying... Peace bro...
Old 12-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
The celica and tiburon are kids cars, it comes down to more people who really care about modding, and to some extent the availability of mods, which is a function of the type of people who buy those cars. Check the median age of a maxima driver versus a tiburon driver, id guess the difference is the maxima owner is in their mid 40's to 50's and the others are under 30.
But compare the Benz, Bimmer, Audi driver to Maxima. How about Lexus IS series cars. They mod their cars and I imagine they have the same profile as Maxima drivers.

I appreciate each person's situation for not being able to mod their cars - kids (I have 3!!!), money, mortgages, etc. But why, as a whole group, do Maxima drivers not want to, or are reluctant to, modify the cars unlike almost every other driver of other cars?? If Maxima owners showed more interest, perhaps manufacturers would be more inclined to produce i.e. CF hoods, splitters, diffusers, engine mods, turbos, Superchargers, etc. etc. Dont you think? Its a question of which came first - the chicken or the egg? Did Maxima owners not mod because they werent available, or did manufacturers not make products because Maxima owners do not want to mod. I believe its the latter and I want to know why the heck thats the case. Why is Chern, and me, and Ramberg and Presence, and a few others practically the only ones doing major mods?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
But compare the Benz, Bimmer, Audi driver to Maxima. How about Lexus IS series cars. They mod their cars and I imagine they have the same profile as Maxima drivers.

Those are "high-end" cars, that manufacturers expect the cars to be modded because the people buying them already have "tons of money" .02

Its a question of which came first - the chicken or the egg? Did Maxima owners not mod because they werent available, or did manufacturers not make products because Maxima owners do not want to mod.

hmmmm that's a good saying, I've never heard of it!

Why is Chern, and me, and Ramberg and Presence, and a few others practically the only ones doing major mods?

Cause you guys are the ones that are already situated with life and have millions to spend
Most are either to "scarred" to mod, or just straight up don't want all of the mods that some of us could only over.

In the end, I think that $$$ is the main factor in deciding if people will mod or not. I know that I would be pissing money into my car very much if it weren't for my somewhat close future plans of getting a house in my early 20's.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 PM

That's why I like you Dan, thanks for the PM and thanks for clarifying... Peace bro...
double post FTL
Old 12-09-2007, 08:28 PM

double post FTL
Double what???
Old 12-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima View Post

Those are "high-end" cars, that manufacturers expect the cars to be modded because the people buying them already have "tons of money" .02

Totally untrue. The entry level of all those cars compares to the Maxima as does the IS300 IS 250, and IS350.

Its a question of which came first - the chicken or the egg? Did Maxima owners not mod because they werent available, or did manufacturers not make products because Maxima owners do not want to mod.

Are you serious?

Why is Chern, and me, and Ramberg and Presence, and a few others practically the only ones doing major mods?

Cause you guys are the ones that are already situated with life and have millions to spend

Totally untrue as well except maybe for Chern, and he budgeted to get his turbo. Ramberg even indicated he has grandkids to care for. I have kids in college and one in Army in Iraq

Most are either to "scared" to mod, or just straight up don't want all of the mods that some of us could only over.

If they dont want to, that brings up my original question, if not why not?

In the end, I think that $$$ is the main factor in deciding if people will mod or not. I know that I would be pissing money into my car very much if it weren't for my somewhat close future plans of getting a house in my early 20's.

Well if its a money factor, why is it a money factor for maxima owners but not other owners???
Old 12-09-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima View Post

Totally untrue. The entry level of all those cars compares to the Maxima as does the IS300 IS 250, and IS350.

Are you serious?

Totally untrue as well except maybe for Chern, and he budgeted to get his turbo. Ramberg even indicated he has grandkids to care for. I have kids in college and one in Army in Iraq

Most are either to "scared" to mod, or just straight up don't want all of the mods that some of us could only over.

If they dont want to, that brings up my original question, if not why not?

Well if its a money factor, why is it a money factor for maxima owners but not other owners???
I'll say what others have been saying - it's the dollar and cent game at the end of the night - who can spend and who can't.

For example, If i had the dollars, I'd go crazy with my car but then again there's a limit to howmuch I can spend.

You can see so far howmuch I've done to my car - In most people's eyes, that's nothing - the "modders" but most people I meet keep telling me what's wrong with you - why would you do anything to such a beautiful car?

Well, then again it's a matter of preference, like chern said it's a hobby and damn right it is. I'd love to mod the hell out of my car.

It's like my cellphones and computers, I'm one of those who'll go to the extreme to trick out a ride, gadget or anything I can get my hands onto.

Then again, with gadgets, you spend money once or twice - everything else is software which is readily available whereas when it comes to car - it's hardware that needs to be paid for, you spend every single time - not to forget shipping, labor etc.

I'm finally using the money i saved up and earned to buy me a new brake setup as well as a set of high - performance all season tires.

I do plan to get a full suspension setup, intake, spacers, led's and the list goes on.

That's just me - whatever mods I do, i work hard for it - and I'm only 22 to begin with and I work at a Telemarketing company - before that, best buy so I use the money I get from there to use it in my mods.

Also - I'm a full-time university student and it's my family's car but just cause i drive it 99% of the time, I do w/e i want as long as i stay within my limits and not void warranty or screw up the car. That's me but hey, everyone's different.

Throw 5 gz here and I'll get me a set of rims and a full suspension as well as performance package.... :P

oh yeah, I'm getting there btw.

in progress (hopefully by the end of this month or early jan): bridgestone potenzas 960AS and rotorpros brake setup

coming soon: suspension, leds and hids

alright back to my books - damn, i got 3 exams this week and i'm addicted to this site like it's **** lol

Last edited by trance.addict; 12-09-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Newbie just Registered

Most of these cars are lightly modded with rims, kits, and some performance parts; and the heavily modded ones are not the same profile as Maxima owners, most are wealthy with money to burn to buy a $50k+ car and throw in another $50k in mods. I'd rather buy a $100k car and pretty much leave it alone.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:44 AM
NameGoesHere

Originally Posted by Terrentius

So, what up with all the hardware???? Doesn't look like you live in da hood. I can understand the weapon for bird hunting, but the pistol and the assault rifle is kind over the top. Those only have one purpose which is for killing people... Man, if I were you I would unload some of that stuff and upgrade to a 350Z
The man has 6 Daughters. Nuff Said.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=redmaxpa007;6125622]
my uncle was a MARINE.. and he was a nut case. QUOTE]

Your uncle is a Marine and will always be one. Once a Marine always a Marine.

Semper Fi : always faithful
Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by NameGoesHere
The man has 6 Daughters. Nuff Said.
LMAO
Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 AM
GrandPa

I am a Marine who served in Nam as a machine gunner and than in a recon unit. I came home changed but had family and friends who supported and helped me thru some hard times. There are times I think about it but I can control it. I was blessed with a large family and a career job which keeps me straight.
God bless the troops.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Where is my shirt?

IMO

Many of the mods for the Max are so damn hard to find!! Any perofrmance mod, tech. question, etc. have been the help of either Chern, Ramberg, Deus and Nmex. If I havent met them I would be ridin my bicycle still. LMAO!!!

I think the toughset part is searching for the items. I would love to have a set up like Chern but I dont know enough about the Max to do some accurate searching.

For example.... Chern got Wilwood brakes and the whole nine yeards... But I wouldnt be able to google "Maxima wilwood" and then it give me 200 websites that offer the product like the MRX for example.

Maybe we should look into updating the tech specification sticky??

I think it would help many people who do want to do more then the mods that can be found through Stillen, Cattman, etc.

I didnt realize so many people were in the service on the forum???

I also served and was a Search and Rescue swimmer from 2001-2006 in the Navy.

1 rescue!! Hoo-Yah!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by GrimMax
IMO

Many of the mods for the Max are so damn hard to find!! Any perofrmance mod, tech. question, etc. have been the help of either Chern, Ramberg, Deus and Nmex. If I havent met them I would be ridin my bicycle still. LMAO!!!

I think the toughset part is searching for the items. I would love to have a set up like Chern but I dont know enough about the Max to do some accurate searching.

For example.... Chern got Wilwood brakes and the whole nine yeards... But I wouldnt be able to google "Maxima wilwood" and then it give me 200 websites that offer the product like the MRX for example.

Maybe we should look into updating the tech specification sticky??

I think it would help many people who do want to do more then the mods that can be found through Stillen, Cattman, etc.

I didnt realize so many people were in the service on the forum???

I also served and was a Search and Rescue swimmer from 2001-2006 in the Navy.

1 rescue!! Hoo-Yah!!!
Awesome shipmate, wish I could take half the credit you are stating about me because so many have helped me and continue to do so, I thought I'd do the same an help others as I learned more too. Oh and JoseRedMax inspired me with the BBK when he did a 360 install first. LOL, only thing he forgot to tell me which zoomer.com pointed out is my old spare tire (donut) is now useless , so I ordered a full size spare...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:08 PM

Chris-Does the wheel you purchased as your "full-size" still fit properly in it's housing?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Chris-Does the wheel you purchased as your "full-size" still fit properly in it's housing?
Not sure, that is why I am waiting for the tire/rim to come in before I custom do the trunk floor mat. As a minimum, I still will create something to secure it in the trunk...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Not sure, that is why I am waiting for the tire/rim to come in before I custom do the trunk floor mat. As a minimum, I still will create something to secure it in the trunk...
Yes it will fit no problem. Trust me. There is enough room to hold a full size spare. The only thing that will be different is you will have a slight bulge in the carpet. At this point, I recommend removing the piece of MDFB so that the carpet conforms to the tire.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Where is my shirt?

Awesome shipmate, wish I could take half the credit you are stating about me because so many have helped me and continue to do so, I thought I'd do the same an help others as I learned more too. Oh and JoseRedMax inspired me with the BBK when he did a 360 install first. LOL, only thing he forgot to tell me which zoomer.com pointed out is my old spare tire (donut) is now useless , so I ordered a full size spare...

Thats awesome hearing that from you LT.

You actually were carrying a spare? I would think you toss it for some weight reduction. lol
Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 PM

You actually were carrying a spare? I would think you toss it for some weight reduction. lol
Im a bit surprised he is carrying a spare too. I put mine in on long trips only.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Yes it will fit no problem. Trust me. There is enough room to hold a full size spare. The only thing that will be different is you will have a slight bulge in the carpet. At this point, I recommend removing the piece of MDFB so that the carpet conforms to the tire.
I actually plan on cutting the carpet out so that people can visibly see the OZ rim and BFG tire, IMO I think it will look great.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 PM

I don't buy cars to keep them in a garage looking pretty, this is my daily driver thus for safety reasons should have a spare, a $500+ spare but at least I'll have piece of mind on a road trip...

God speed shipmate...
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM

Im a bit surprised he is carrying a spare too. I put mine in on long trips only.

Only time I remove my spare tire is when I go to the track which is 20 minutes from my home...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I actually plan on cutting the carpet out so that people can visibly see the OZ rim and BFG tire, IMO I think it will look great.

Now you can show off your engine and your trunk. NAICE
Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Where is my shirt?

I threw mine out after I got the 20's put on.

Do you think a 20" spare could even fit?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I threw mine out after I got the 20's put on.

Do you think a 20" spare could even fit?

With a low profile, I'd venture to say YES
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
With a low profile, I'd venture to say YES
What about the Toyo proxes 4?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

What about the Toyo proxes 4?

Toyo proxes too, with low enough profile of course.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:59 PM

am i the only airman here? lol
Old 12-11-2007, 03:59 PM

I think that perhaps it is the cars you are comparing the max too. They have a much great support from the aftermarket manufactures. Also, it seems that for the most part people are generally happy with the max how it comes. From speed to creature comforts they are a pretty balanced car. The main thing I would change is fwd platform.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by cefiro80
I think that perhaps it is the cars you are comparing the max too. They have a much great support from the aftermarket manufactures. Also, it seems that for the most part people are generally happy with the max how it comes. From speed to creature comforts they are a pretty balanced car. The main thing I would change is fwd platform.
I know they do. The question I want to know is; Is the fact that there is little aftermarket support due to a lack of interest on our part, or a lack of interest on their part. I think its our part and I want to know why.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by maxinuff
LOL!!

ESWS PIN all the way!! LOL!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Newbie just Registered

I know they do. The question I want to know is; Is the fact that there is little aftermarket support due to a lack of interest on our part, or a lack of interest on their part. I think its our part and I want to know why.

It doesn't seem like our part from reading thru these 4 pages.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 PM

I think it does because even though a few people do more than basic mods, most people only do basic mods. Our money situation cant be much different than any other car owners. The feedback I get from a lot of manufacturers is that no one mods a Maxima. It seems consistent with the title of this thread. There is some common denominator with Maxima owners that prevents them from modding, and I wonder what it is. Its not any ONE person, but an amalgamation of the 6th gen group as a whole.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by maxinuff
You're the only smart one here.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM

And to answer the question, the Maxima isnt really a car I bought so I could modify it. I wanted something fairly luxurious that would be reliable and get good gas mileage while still looking good in stock form.

The only mods I really plan on in the somewhat future are tint, spoiler and drop to get rid of the nasty wheel gap.

I'm not the type of person who would just add headers and an exhaust with an intake. If I was going to mod, it would be all out costing thousands of dollars and I'm not willing to do that for this car.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Newbie just Registered

I think it does because even though a few people do more than basic mods, most people only do basic mods. Our money situation cant be much different than any other car owners. The feedback I get from a lot of manufacturers is that no one mods a Maxima. It seems consistent with the title of this thread. There is some common denominator with Maxima owners that prevents them from modding, and I wonder what it is. Its not any ONE person, but an amalgamation of the 6th gen group as a whole.
What other performance parts do you think we need? I think when headers are available, we pretty much have bolt-on performance parts covered. We have varieties of suspension/brake parts. I think what we really lack are a variety exterior parts, but there are some available. Interior are easier to modify, new upholstery, steering wheels, seats, A/V, etc. Most aren't willing to give up the features they'd lose.

And FWIW, 6th gens are only sold in US and Canada versus Z, G/Skyline, BMW, MB, Audi, etc.; so there are less tuners making parts for us. And there aren't that many parts for G35 sedan and M35 either, they happened to share the same platform with Z's and G coupes so most parts fit.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM

i agree with you because look at the carbon fiber hood thread. every1 was like COOOL YEAH ILL DEF BUY IT WHEN IT COMES OUT. now look at that list. 2 ppl. majestic and I. (unless there has been more ppl that have been added to the list i havent checked the thread yet) i think 6th gens are afraid to modify because the ppl that buy it are of the older crowd with families and other things to take care of. ::hides::
Old 12-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
i agree with you because look at the carbon fiber hood thread. every1 was like COOOL YEAH ILL DEF BUY IT WHEN IT COMES OUT. now look at that list. 2 ppl. majestic and I. (unless there has been more ppl that have been added to the list i havent checked the thread yet) i think 6th gens are afraid to modify because the ppl that buy it are of the older crowd with families and other things to take care of. ::hides::
THANK YOU!!!!! SOMEONE IS SEEING THE LIGHT!!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Newbie just Registered

THANK YOU!!!!! SOMEONE IS SEEING THE LIGHT!!!!!
Old people?

Quick Reply: Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?