6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Idle too fast after intake install...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 PM

Idle too fast after intake install...

I was so excited my fujita CAI came today and i installed it. All went fine, but now my idle seems way to fast. My max is idling at about 900 rpms in drive! I shouldn't have to adjust anything right? I know alot of people have fujita CAI here, anyone else experience this?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 PM

wouldnt 900 rpm idle in D be normal?
cuz the engine is actually idling under the load of the tranny if u have an AT
Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 PM

i'm not even sure what normal idle speed is for the 6th gen actually, it just seems off, alot faster than before the intake. I used to have a 4th gen max and normal idle for that was about 650 rpm.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Newbie just Registered

Give it couple of days and see.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:53 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

900-920 is normal bro ... BUT

You can always make sure its put on correct... all sides even... no extra air coming out more on one side kinda thing...

Just go over your work again...

If that fails put the stock one back on and see what the idle is and how it feels.. I have the fujita myself and the idle didnt change ... good luck and keep us posted..

P.s. Search for the ECU reset using the pedals etc... Might just need to adapt to the new mod(s)... or you can wait and just drive for like 3 days
Old 10-06-2007, 03:56 AM

My car idled a bit louder and I just attributed that to the extra breathing. Your idle sounds like it's in the right range. Are you confusing idle range with sound?

BTW welcome to the Jita Club!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:15 AM

just did the ECU reset, guess I'll give it a few days to see what happens, everything looks to be on correctly and tightly, thanks for the responses all.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 PM

I have the Stillen CAI, but I too noticed an increase in idle speed. It goes away after the car warms up, but right when I start the car in the morning, it jerks hard into "Drive" and rolls at nearly 10mph which isn't safe cuz my parking structure is a tight squeeze, lol. I just feel that the extra speed is a cool thing to have in CA for stop/go traffic. RPM-wise, it actually stays about the same as stock, but maybe a bit higher i.e. 750 vs. 900rpm
Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 PM

is there a way to adjust the idle speed in the 6th gens?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:41 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

dood ... somethign is wrong with your ride... it shuldnt change your idle... get it looked at
Old 10-07-2007, 12:52 PM

I guess i'll try putting the stock intake on to see if it changes anything. I'm just a little annoyed I guess, my car is completely stock and I just wanted the intake and now it just seems like something is not right. I'm starting to miss my old '97 max, that car responded well to every mod I put on it. The 6th gens seems to have too may complaints and quality issues.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:56 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by Dayle97SE
I guess i'll try putting the stock intake on to see if it changes anything. I'm just a little annoyed I guess, my car is completely stock and I just wanted the intake and now it just seems like something is not right. I'm starting to miss my old '97 max, that car responded well to every mod I put on it. The 6th gens seems to have too may complaints and quality issues.
you are the only person i have EVER heard of having a problem w/ a cai changing hte idle..

6th gens and 97 max cant compare...

only comlaint i have is that i didnt get a 6spd..

i have PLENTY of mods.. not one problem...

maybe you should take teh advice i told you earlier: IE ... install the stock intake... then try it again before you start to bash the 6th gens...

97 better than a 6th gen??? lol come on man ...
Old 10-07-2007, 01:22 PM

The 6th gens seems to have too may complaints and quality issues.
Dayle,

Most cars have some minor complaints and issues. There aren't any here that cant be or hasn't been solved. I wouldn't mix your idling situation with 6th gen quality as a whole. I would ask that you specify what issues plaque the 6th gen that mar its reputation, especially before making a comment like that.

Swee
Old 10-07-2007, 01:27 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Dayle,

Most cars have some minor complaints and issues. There aren't any here that cant be or hasn't been solved. I wouldn't mix your idling situation with 6th gen quality as a whole. I would ask that you specify what issues plaque the 6th gen that mar its reputation, especially before making a comment like that.

Swee
you are so sweet swee...

i would bet my lunch that its an instal problem cause i have never heard of idle going up from cai...

he siad it idles at 900 whch is normal for our gens and most cars
Old 10-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My idle is about 8-900rpm, but you know, I never looked at it when it was stock. Maybe one of the folks without a CAI could chime in about there ide speed.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm not saying that am perfect but this is not my first intake install and this is not my first maxima. I may well have done something wrong that I have yet to realize, but I do also feel that I am entitled to my opinion, and I do have my doubts in the overall build quality of my present 2004 vs. the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gens I have owned in the past. I'm not limiting that judgement on cars alone but for all products in general. My current max I bought used only 3 months ago and so far it's been back to the dealer quite a few times, for alignment issues(still not resolved) and tranny issues, and most recently the fuel pump was just replaced by nissan, all this with just under 50k miles on the clock. Don't get me wrong, I love the maxima alot, I'm just not getting good vibes about my future with this car given my most recent experiences. I am grateful however to the org for all the knowledge and support I have gained over the past seven years I have been on it.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

its 850-930 stock or cai... CAI DOESNT CHANGE IDLE!

dayle, you are totally right , you are entitled to have your own opinions etc... i hope you get this problem figured out... please try what we talked about and see how it feels then...

Last edited by Fastmax05; 10-07-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:28 PM

The target idle speeds for Maxima's 04+ According to the Nissan Factory Service Manual are M/T 625 +- 50 rpm
4-speed A/T 700 +- 50 rpm [in P or N position]
5-speed A/T 675 +- 50 rpm [in P or N position]

These values are checked on a CONSULT-II after running the engine at about 2,000 rpm for about 2 minutes under no load.

Then rev engine [2000 to 3000 rpm] two or three times under no load, then run engine at idle speed for about 1 minute.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 PM

My 100% stock 07'Maxima SL in automatic idles just below the second mark i.e. just below 666 rpm.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:42 PM

I'm not saying that am perfect but this is not my first intake install and this is not my first maxima. I may well have done something wrong that I have yet to realize, but I do also feel that I am entitled to my opinion, and I do have my doubts in the overall build quality of my present 2004 vs. the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gens I have owned in the past. I'm not limiting that judgement on cars alone but for all products in general. My current max I bought used only 3 months ago and so far it's been back to the dealer quite a few times, for alignment issues(still not resolved) and tranny issues, and most recently the fuel pump was just replaced by nissan, all this with just under 50k miles on the clock. Don't get me wrong, I love the maxima alot, I'm just not getting good vibes about my future with this car given my most recent experiences. I am grateful however to the org for all the knowledge and support I have gained over the past seven years I have been on it.
Dayle I sincerely hope things do start to look up for you. I haven't heard of the fuel pump issue before. Also, your alignment issue is not common of these beauties. I can't help but wonder, was she abused prior to your adopting her? Was she wrecked? Is it possible she was a lemon?

FastMax,

Thank you for your compliments. I really do like these cars. But I can be fair enough, if enough evidence is presented. As of yet, I haven't seen much of a track record of failure, to label it a lemon.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
its 850-930 stock or cai... CAI DOESNT CHANGE IDLE!...
Originally Posted by gen2000
The target idle speeds for Maxima's 04+ According to the Nissan Factory Service Manual are M/T 625 +- 50 rpm
4-speed A/T 700 +- 50 rpm [in P or N position]
5-speed A/T 675 +- 50 rpm [in P or N position]

These values are checked on a CONSULT-II after running the engine at about 2,000 rpm for about 2 minutes under no load.

Then rev engine [2000 to 3000 rpm] two or three times under no load, then run engine at idle speed for about 1 minute.

Originally Posted by bb700092
My 100% stock 07'Maxima SL in automatic idles just below the second mark i.e. just below 666 rpm.
Sounds like Dayle97SE might have a point. I checked my idle again after warming up the car (the gauges aren't clearly marked) but I am sitting just a little closer to the 1k line than the next line down 500rpm?. I am thinking about 750-800ish after looking at it more closely. Which isn't far off the target idle speed but it does seem to be a little higher.

Dayle97SE, I've got 53k on my car now, so far no problems. Hope you can get this issue resolved.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:47 PM

OK, so I took a look at my install job, and started by removing the intake and looking at the throttle body, and from what I can see, the throttle plate does not seem to close all the way, it seems to be stuck open just a hair or too. Being that this is an electronically controlled throttle body is there a way to reset the closed position for the throttle plate or butterfly valve(not sure what it's called) ??
Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM

I havent done a CAI on my car yet but when I talked to the Nissan service manager about a Nismo CAI he said they would have to reflash the ecu to adjust the idle, and quoted me 40 bucks for the reflash.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:43 AM
MSB

I just installed a Fujita cai on my '07 last week and it is sweeeet.. The only thing is that when I start it first thing in the morning the idle shoots to about 1800 then after it warms up for a minute or 2 it sinks down to about 700-750, right where it has always been with the stock intake. I did do what the SM learning recommendations:
1) Accelerator Pedal
2) Throttle Valve Closed
3) A/I Volume

This process did not seem to change much of anything except maybe dropped my warm idle down by 50 or so. It still idles high when engine is cold but for just a short time then is back to normal and stays that way all day. Throttle response and mpg are improved and my max runs great. I have checked the installation and everything OK.

Has anyone else experienced this idle oddity or know how to fix it?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Did you try just disconnecting the positive for about 15-30min as well?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:09 AM
MSB

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Did you try just disconnecting the positive for about 15-30min as well?
No, not yet. I'll give it a try.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 AM

The first thing I would do it test for air leaks. Make sure all connections are tight and not leaking air. Next, I would drive it around for a few days and give it a chance to get used to better airflow. Sometimes the motor neds a few start/stop cycles to get used to changes. I know this was the case when I replaced my intake manifold and when I had the headers installed recently. If it hasnt settled down in a few days, there is some problem assocaited with the install: i.e. something broke, got disconnected, etc.

There is a way to adjust the idle. It has to be done electronically such as with an Uprev.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Go ahead... try me

Damn... all these issues with the Fujita CAI? geez... I'm glad I stuck to Nismo. LOL.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM
MSB

Tried the battery disconnect and it did not make a difference. Checked all my connections for air leaks and all is good, hopefully it will just fix it's self. My car runs great except for the 1 minute high idle in the morning.. I guess it hates mornings as much as I do! LOL

I hope someone can help me solve this problem soon, if not then I will just go ahead and get the idle reset after I install my Cattman y-pipe and Nismo catback next weekend.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MSB
........if not then I will just go ahead and get the idle reset after I install my Cattman y-pipe and Nismo catback next weekend.
Oh you are going to enjoy that little addition!!

Side note: if you are ever planning on doing headers you probably want to get the Y pipe with the catalytic converter in it.

Last edited by Apollos2; 08-10-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Funny I'm reading this I installed my Nismo CAI yesterday and founf the car the idle a little lower than usually I got out to grab something from the trunch and it sounded like it was going to stall, wife even said " the car almost stalled" I will give her a few days of driving and see if it goes away. I know there are no leaks I took my time on the install and triple checked everything..Love the sound of it though NICE GROWL..
Old 08-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Yeah, u guys have to be a bit patient and let the ecu adapt to the changes.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:42 PM

if after a couple of days it does not improve take it in and have the idle professionally adjusted.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 AM
MSB

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Oh you are going to enjoy that little addition!!

Side note: if you are ever planning on doing headers you probably want to get the Y pipe with the catalytic converter in it.
I am very excited about the exhaust addition, and with the cai it should be a good beginning for many more mods to come now that this car is just for play (bought an '09 last month).
I already have the Y without the cat so I will put that on. When I talked with Brian last week he said that they are not quite done with the '07 headers yet. He did go on to say that the testing on them are making a HUGE difference and is very excited about them. I am sure that I will go down that route when they are ready and just add a cat then.

Deus, I will take your advice and wait for the ECU to adjust. By the time I do my exhaust this weekend it will have been 2 weeks with the cai and I am guessing that should have been enough time to adjust if it is going to.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lol thats better then what mine did lol.. My idle dropped when I installed my CAI.. Put the stock intake back on.. see if it still happens
Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

whats wrong with a little bit higher idle. its not going to hurt your car..... inn fact it may give you a better 60foot, and a little more response. my buddies gtr making 650 idles at 1100 rpm. your choice but i do believe that it cannot hurt the car.... if you are still worried then take it to the dealer. i dont believe it will void the warranty.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM

Mine cleared up after a few days but then started throwing codes for idle to high. Then the car started pinging( Pulling timing due to it leaning out) Took it to the dealer to get the idle realinged.. Warranty FTW.

Last edited by anm6; 08-27-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 AM

Car still pinging now talking to Nissan America as dealer has no clue whats wrong?

Last edited by anm6; 08-28-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by anm6
Car still pinging now talking to Nissan America as dealer has no clue whats wrong?
mine used to ping. check the mass air flow. that made mine ping. got it replaced, not only was it faster, it stopped pinging. just a suggestion.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by i have a 2000 gle
mine used to ping. check the mass air flow. that made mine ping. got it replaced, not only was it faster, it stopped pinging. just a suggestion.

Yea I know I started thinking that a few days ago but it't not under warrenty and a little pricy $520. But if it needs it then it does. The dealer is checking the catylist in the front end of the car? Not sure what this is( Can't be the canister can it) But they said if that has a leak it will lean out the car and cause the pinging. I still think it is the MAF but we will see.. Thanx for the input man.. Every bit helps..