6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Technosquare ECU Reflash

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Technosquare ECU Reflash

Would like to know who here has first hand experience with this and what are your personal thoughts. I don't mind input here from folks that that haven't used it themselves and may have some technical knowledge on the subject but truly looking for personal experience here.

After all is said and done, I'll have finished upgrading with the following components and truly plan to do nothing further and for me personally, I believe the TS reflash may be a good route to go. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
--
Injen CAI
MagnaFlow exhaust,
Cattman Y-pipe
Phenolic IM Spacer
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 AM

I have the TS flash and I like the extended rev limiter, no speed governor, and just over all a decent bang for buck.

PS-did you get my PM?

dan
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Mack
I don't mind input here from folks that that haven't used it themselves and may have some technical knowledge on the subject but truly looking for personal experience here.
I'm wondering if this was aimed @ me? . I actually have an A33B TS F-Spec.
Would like to know who here has first hand experience with this and what are your personal thoughts.

After all is said and done, I'll have finished upgrading with the following components and truly plan to do nothing further and for me personally, I believe the TS reflash may be a good route to go. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
--
Injen CAI
MagnaFlow exhaust,
Cattman Y-pipe
Phenolic IM Spacer
I have it on my 5.5 gen. My favorite part is the enhanced CVTC curve and rev limiter extension.

AFR is nice in that the curve is flat @ 13.0, timing is also enhanced a few * throughout the rev range, all in all a good, but pricey investment. I have only used the removed speed limiter once, and it was on a dyno.

Good for the driver who doesn't want to spend a lot of time tuning. IMO, it's a cookie cutter type of method. If you don't feel like tuning your car on your own, which you have clearly pointed out, then get it.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:27 PM

I have it also and agree with everything just said above. I love it.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I'm wondering if this was aimed @ me? .
Your smugness is mildly annoying, however your technical prowess is unmatched. Your input is ALWAYS appreciated Nmex and what you said above confirms some of what I have been thinking. Now and always, thank you sir!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

For clarification, and hell, I might get bored later and actually post the graphs, but for now, this is how I got to my conclusions:

Unless otherwise noted, all data is verified via Cipher/OBDII/Consult Interface

CVTC data logs mimic that of a Z33
AFR is 13.0 +/- 0.2 from 2400 - 7100RPM (Verified by an upstream WBO2 sensor prior to any catalytic convertors)
Timing is + 3-4* from stock (Comparing other stock A33B/A34's vs mine)
Rev limiter is verified @ 7100 (Sometimes it bounces to 7130 etc, but you get the point)
Car has seen ~ 138 MPH on the dyno, (Verified using DJ software.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM

AFR is 13.0 +/- 0.2 from 2400 - 7100RPM (Verified by an upstream WBO2 sensor prior to any catalytic convertors)
Rev limiter is verified @ 7100 (Sometimes it bounces to 7130 etc, but you get the point)
Car has seen ~ 138 MPH on the dyno, (Verified using DJ software. [/B]
What is a Z33 (hell, wtf is CVTC for that matter?)
If AFR is 13.0 +/- 0.2 then what was default?
What exactly does the timing change affect?

I'd love to see the graph if you get some spare time later.
As always
Old 10-30-2007, 01:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=476664
Our cars are too rich, apparently yours are too lean. Here's a good thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...6&postcount=17
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=324053
This is a very general question, so I will refer to my good friend here: + Ignition Timing.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:22 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

how much is this procedure?

From their website I've learned that they adjust the settings based on current mods applied to the car. If at later date you add mods, you would have to reship/reflash/repay for the ECU to take advantage of additional mods.

It would seem that this would be the last step or one that is to be taken after considerable amount of mods have been added to the engine. Meaning, I don't think it would make sense to ship it just because someone might have a CAI.

Please respond.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

How are they going to know how to 'tune' without a baseline? I think it's I sent them mine w/o a mod sheet or AFR readout, and still got what I stated.

It's like 535$ total.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:50 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

I called them just now... i have an appt for this friday... I live only 25 mins from there so it makes it really easy to just drop by.. the guy says it takes aroudn 1:30 hours to do...

and they tune it based on your current mods...

its 485 if i drive in... a littl e savings compared to the 535 stated....

anyway... I will keep you all posted...
Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

On 2nd though i might need to wait a week... i shuold get the I.M Spacer Kit Installed b4 i tune it...

hmm....
Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
dot dot dot ...

A mod list is useless IMO.

Actual data > *.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

I understand what you are saying, im just telling you what he said...

If anyone else wants the number its 310-787-0847
Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
I understand what you are saying, im just telling you what he said...
He told me the same thing.

I sent mine in w/o a mod list/AFR readout etc, and I still got a good (for being a cookie cutter) tune, and I've added/taken away etc mods before and after said tune.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Great convo here. I was actually thinking about this on the way home from work. So Nmex, theoretically I could get the TS reflash now, then install IM and Y-pipe later. Whereas what Fastmax is saying is I should wait to complete all my mods, then send the ECU in for reflash. However, from everything I see on their website, they seem to just make adjustments w/out taking into consideration what mods you've actually completed. Oy!
Old 10-30-2007, 02:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Ok guys, so you understand where I'm coming from:

Well, we (Tadashi and I) got into a 'debate' in that he didn't give me a Z33 tune. All I really wanted was the Z33CVTC map, but I had no way of determining if I had received this map or not.

But, I asked for 7200 RPM rev limit, and I did have a way of determining this (Dyno) and that he did not give me( I got 7100 instead) So, just like anyone else, I questioned the fact that he gave me a Z33 tune. Without any real CVTC data (I did have RPM data though), I called him and went back and forth and he got back to me etc (I still have the emails saved, and they are posted on this site somewhere), but in the end, I wasn't convinced, and he was annoyed with me and offered to give me my money back after I sent him my ECU, and he would make it stock again. Of course, I was enjoying my extended rev limit too much that I didn't take that offer.

He always mentioned that the car did not accept the TS Z33 'full tune'. RHMax states that his car got hot when flashed w/ the Z33 tune and went into limp mode. This is good information, but without any real data (Coolant temps/AFR/MIL re: limp mode) there is no real reason as to why it acted the way it did. Yes, I know it gave the scent of being hot, but without #'s, we cannot really say anything definitive.

Also, stock Z33 ECU's work with A34's, so that in itself is an argument as well. Such as, do they go that extreme when tuning the Z33, since the stock ECU works, but not the TS modified one? I realize they have a semi valid point (transverse mounted engine does not allow sufficient cooling) but we have other .org members advancing their timing drastically and running pretty fair/aggressive AFR's and no problems whatsoever.

In the end, I smartened up and went out and got some data logging and monitoring devices and found that my CVTC WAS modified a la Z33, and verified all the other parameters I've stated before.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Nmex, sounds like you had kind of the same back and forth deal I did with tadashi. I couldn't get him to take my timing past 2 degrees at first then it ended up being 3-4. He was worried about what octane gas we had here in MO.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 PM

hmmmm so if TS advanced my timing 3-4* and my Nissan dealership advanced it 2 more degrees, so does that mean I have a total of 5-6* of advanced timing?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
MAXIN' ON

But if the sensors detect knock would it be retarted anyhow!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:37 PM
MAXIN' ON

retarted LOL retarded !!! I mean nevermind what I mean!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Ok so who can answer this?

Should I wait to get all my bolt-on mods in place first or could I theoretically get the TS reflash at any point and end up with the same results?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Ok so who can answer this?

Should I wait to get all my bolt-on mods in place first or could I theoretically get the TS reflash at any point and end up with the same results?
Unless you get a dyno with an AFR before you send it out for tuning, then I guess it won't be totally "accurate"
Old 10-30-2007, 05:25 PM

I'd love to see the graph if you get some spare time later.
As always
Z33 is to 350z as A34 is to 6th Gen Max.

Joshua
Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by redls1
But if the sensors detect knock would it be retarted anyhow!
If they see knock yes, but people have been advancing up to +15* w/ VQ35 and have not seen spark knock (under ideal conditions). Your engine is safe because OBDII and will protect it. unless you're sucking in 230*F air, your ECT's are 210+,your AFR is 15.0:1, and are using 86 octane, you should be fine.

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
and my Nissan dealership advanced it 2 more degrees, so does that mean I have a total of 5-6* of advanced timing?
Sure why not. Unless you have data to support this theory, not really. I too have the dealer +2. Maybe I should do some logs using the Cipher to see if the dealer/Consult advance holds through the entire RPM range.

Theoretically yes.

Originally Posted by philoforlife
Z33 is to 350z as A34 is to 6th Gen Max.

Thank you, it's a chassis code.

then I guess it won't be totally "accurate"
I suppose it would about as accurate as mine.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 PM

hmmmm so if TS advanced my timing 3-4* and my Nissan dealership advanced it 2 more degrees, so does that mean I have a total of 5-6* of advanced timing?
Man I may have to try that. But I think I would like to know what the timing is at now instead what TS said it's supposed to be.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

I don't think TS alters base timing. The dealer on the other hand, does.

Dealer adjusts the timing @ idle, TS adjusts it @ WOT.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 10-30-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 PM

I don't think TS alters base timing. The dealer on the other hand, does.

Dealer adjusts the timing @ idle, TS adjusts it @ WOT.
Now will that help the low end??
Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

^^^Theoretically yes, but, I still felt more w/ the MAF mod. ^^^
Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Newbie just Registered

He always mentioned that the car did not accept the TS Z33 'full tune'. RHMax states that his car got hot when flashed w/ the Z33 tune and went into limp mode. This is good information, but without any real data (Coolant temps/AFR/MIL re: limp mode) there is no real reason as to why it acted the way it did. Yes, I know it gave the scent of being hot, but without #'s, we cannot really say anything definitive.
When I had the tuned G35 ECU, the car pulled harder but ran hotter when pushed. When the same map was downloaded on my stock ECU, it went in limp mode. Our ECU's have more limitations than G's or Z's, so Tadashi de-tuned the Z33 map enough for my stock ECU to accept. As far as details, maybe 20cc larger injectors might have made a difference, but I think it's the timing because the G ECU pulled harder from about 4k RPM on.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 AM

Unless you get a dyno with an AFR before you send it out for tuning, then I guess it won't be totally "accurate"
Even if I get a dyno and AFR they'll still flash the ECU the same won't they?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:00 AM
MAXIN' ON

Flash it the ame way in that the rev limiter will or can be removed but your AFR can be more accurate through out your entire rpm range were as before it was just gonna be general.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by RHMax
When I had the tuned G35 ECU, the car pulled harder but ran hotter when pushed. When the same map was downloaded on my stock ECU, it went in limp mode. Our ECU's have more limitations than G's or Z's, so Tadashi de-tuned the Z33 map enough for my stock ECU to accept. As far as details, maybe 20cc larger injectors might have made a difference, but I think it's the timing because the G ECU pulled harder from about 4k RPM on.
You still have no proof of said ECT parameters. Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to see actual ECT's. Explain to me how 20cc larger injectors would help? The car is no where near it's IDC limit in NA form. I have Z33 injectors on mine, but it's for different reasons that I wont dive into here.

Even if I get a dyno and AFR they'll still flash the ECU the same won't they?
That's the impression I am under. They do need year and tranny though.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Newbie just Registered

You still have no proof of said ECT parameters. Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to see actual ECT's. Explain to me how 20cc larger injectors would help? The car is no where near it's IDC limit in NA form. I have Z33 injectors on mine, but it's for different reasons that I wont dive into here.
I understand about prrof you need. It could simply be our cross-mount layout that trap the heat from the rear exhaust manifold that made Nissan water down the performance for warranty purpose. I asked Tadashi about exploring the differences between ECU's, but he said he didn't have time. I've been to TS enough times and see what he does daily that I believe him.

If someone here get a UTEC and also have access to a G/Z ECU, they can probably look around and find the differences between them.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:21 AM

What does TS reflash do to a car?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

Read this and it should make sense to ya. TS
Old 10-31-2007, 04:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by jimmypronet
What does TS reflash do to a car?
Did you even bother to read the thread?

Car has seen ~ 138 MPH on the dyno, (Verified using DJ software.