6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need Some Gearhead Magic Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 PM

Need Some Gearhead Magic Here

About a year ago my wife was driving our max and got into a single car accident. Our Max was tatered pretty bad, but was not totalled. I was on deployment with the military at the time and when I came home on leave last summer I noticed the car (now fixed) pulled slightly to the left and when I stepped on the brkes at around the 50mph mark I got a lot of vibration in the steering wheel.

She ended up taking it to the dealership (not my recommendation) for an alignment and to have the brakes looked at. According to her, the right front rotor was loose so they tightened it up and aligned the car.

However, I just arrived home permanently from deployment and am now driving the car again daily. Even though she had the dealership work on it those exact same problems still exist.

It's driving me nuts!!!

Based on that info, does anybody here know of a diagnosis for the problem? I want to pinpoint it and fix it permanently, but I am not sure what to look for.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide!

MC
Old 11-02-2007, 04:03 PM

Vibration could be any number of things:

One, I would first see if the rotors are warped.

Two, I would check the balance of the tires.

Three, If its pulling to the left, its probably the alignment.

How hard is it pulling???

Joshua
Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
How hard is it pulling???
It's pulling hard enough to wear I feel like I have to keep pressure on the wheel to continue steering straight. The thing is, it was aligned 2 months ago.
Could it be that the alignment was done poorly?

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take a good look at the front tires, you may have a badly worn/uneven tire from the pre alignment driving
Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Machinist
Take a good look at the front tires, you may have a badly worn/uneven tire from the pre alignment driving
Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could be a bent front end component as well if an alignment doesn't help....may just take time to figure out without throwing money at parts...Try to eliminate what it couldn't be (may take a good bit of searching on here and asking around) you don't waste alot of money finding the problem...
Old 11-02-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by niceguy
Could be a bent front end component as well if an alignment doesn't help....may just take time to figure out without throwing money at parts...Try to eliminate what it couldn't be (may take a good bit of searching on here and asking around) you don't waste alot of money finding the problem...
I agree. I would take it to a qualified mechanic and have them sort it out. Otherwise you might end up spending a lot more money diagnosing the ghost in the machine...

Joshua