6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Keyed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Keyed!

Got home from work on Saturday, and decided to take the wife out for dinner. Well, as we walked out to the car, she exclaims "Oh my God, look at you rear quarterpanel!" Sure enough there was a deep gouge around the wheel well. Now I'm fairly certain that it did not happen in my driveway (we live in an area with little to no crime. It must have happened while I was at work parked in the mall lot. Now this is not a result of a shopping cart. Someone deliberately "carved" a "frown" into the side of my '07 Max.

The question is, how much will it cost to repair? But the bigger question is why do these low lifes feel it necessary to wontonly destroy someones property? What's the point? Is it jealousy? I'm really disgusted!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 PM
KC's FINEST

Kind of a vague post...

If you want price guesses you should at least post pics.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear it . . . but . . . .:
Old 11-12-2007, 04:42 PM
GrandPa

Yes there are alot of low life jealous ppl in this world. Depending on where you live it would cost between 3 to 400 dollars. Do you have insurance to cover this. I would also get a police report for the insurance company. Also take pictures.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM

jc53 - Life is unfair.

I have seen statistics that say that 40% of the drivers you meet on the highway are under the influence of some sort of drug (alcohol, crack, meth, etc). Don't expect other drivers to be reasonable or do rational things. 40% of them won't.

There is a frighteningly large ugly 'underbelly' population in this country. Estimates put it at between 4 and 8 million folks. These are losers that will take anything they think they can get away with. At any given time, a large portion of this group is in prison. If it weren't for overcrowding, another million or two would also be incarcerated.

And then we come to the despicable group of millions who are haters. Haters are scum who have never earned their way anywhere, and hate on folks who have. Their jealousy consumes them to the point they hate anyone who has made anything of their life. They vent this hatred by trying to damage or destroy anything of value owned by anyone else.

The last group is the huge conglomeration of meanies. These are usually male teens with nothing but meanness in their heart. They 'hate' everybody and everything. They are not necessarily poor or deprived or even true haters; they simply love to destroy things. Like mailboxes, windows, cars, anything they can get to and feel they won't be caught. These are the scum who conglomerate in a small fast food place, fill several booths and make general nuisances of themselves, and always seem to have a pocket knife with which they can slice up the upholstery in the booths or carve their initials in the tabletop before leaving.

Your nemesis came from one of those last two worthless and despicable groups.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by jc53
decided to take the wife out for dinner. Well, as we walked out to the car, she exclaims "Oh my God, look at you rear quarterpanel!"
C'mon, did your wife REALLY say that?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:42 PM

This wife would!

Light, those are some harsh, albeit truthful words. I don't think I've read such a scathing review from you.

I too, can't fathom destroying someone else's property.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
C'mon, did your wife REALLY say that?
No ****, that was the first thing I thought. A chick would not know to refer to a fender on a car as "quarter panel", funny visual though.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Sorry to hear it . . . but . . . .:

Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM

lightonthehill: Never read a better classification. Good write-up.

jc53: It really hurts when such things happen but in real life, such things are inevitable. Every one has had a similar experience, maybe a little more or less.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
These are usually male teens with nothing but meanness in their heart. ................always seem to have a pocket knife with which they can slice up the upholstery in the booths or carve their initials in the tabletop before leaving.

or maybe a third........ a "carrie underwood" inspired??
Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 PM

tubells - As my dear Mother used to say: 'Now now'!

bb700092 - Thanks for appreciating my critical rant.

4MySwee - Yes, there is sadly some truth in what I said. But, at the same time, I always find myself wondering what long series of events could have led these folks down these unrewarding paths. I suppose there could be some people who were born mean, but I tend to think meanness and dishonesty are not traits folks are normally born with.

I think there are endless things that could negatively affect a person while they are young, many of which are tied to their family life or peer pressure. We could list hundreds here, but this is the wrong board for such speculation. Be assured I do feel some sympathy for these seemingly worthless folks; their life has to be just one long endless series of bad days, with no real future to look forward to.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 AM

Yes, my wife really did refer to the quarterpanel! My wife is a woman of many talents. She delivers sail and power boats from the Northeast to the Caribbean. She is perhaps the finest artisan in this area with regard to detailing varnish work on boats. She is adept at working on diesel engines on 50 foot power yachts. She has managed a sailing school and a yacht charter company. She currently owns and operates an interior decorating company. She is a gourmet chef. She drives a 350Z. And she is six feet tall and a former model. So please don't presume to think she would not make such a statement.

Now about those pictures...I'll refer to her to teach me how to post them!

Last edited by jc53; 11-13-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Damn, that sucks! I feel your pain.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 PM

Yes, my wife really did refer to the quarterpanel! My wife is a woman of many talents. She delivers sail and power boats from the Northeast to the Caribbean. She is perhaps the finest artisan in this area with regard to detailing varnish work on boats. She is adept at working on diesel engines on 50 foot power yachts. She has managed a sailing school and a yacht charter company. She currently owns and operates an interior decorating company. She is a gourmet chef. She drives a 350Z. And she is six feet tall and a former model. So please don't presume to think she would not make such a statement.

Impressive.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Incognito

does she have a sister?

lol
Old 11-13-2007, 01:08 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

jc53 - Life is unfair.

I have seen statistics that say that 40% of the drivers you meet on the highway are under the influence of some sort of drug (alcohol, crack, meth, etc). Don't expect other drivers to be reasonable or do rational things. 40% of them won't.

There is a frighteningly large ugly 'underbelly' population in this country. Estimates put it at between 4 and 8 million folks. These are losers that will take anything they think they can get away with. At any given time, a large portion of this group is in prison. If it weren't for overcrowding, another million or two would also be incarcerated.

And then we come to the despicable group of millions who are haters. Haters are scum who have never earned their way anywhere, and hate on folks who have. Their jealousy consumes them to the point they hate anyone who has made anything of their life. They vent this hatred by trying to damage or destroy anything of value owned by anyone else.

The last group is the huge conglomeration of meanies. These are usually male teens with nothing but meanness in their heart. They 'hate' everybody and everything. They are not necessarily poor or deprived or even true haters; they simply love to destroy things. Like mailboxes, windows, cars, anything they can get to and feel they won't be caught. These are the scum who conglomerate in a small fast food place, fill several booths and make general nuisances of themselves, and always seem to have a pocket knife with which they can slice up the upholstery in the booths or carve their initials in the tabletop before leaving.

On point like hard nipples.

4-8 million sound about right. According to NYPD its 2% so with 300 million folks in the US thats about 6 mil. I hate haters
Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 PM

xoomer - Thanks.

jc53 - Any chance you could have your wife stand beside the scratched quarter panel as you take the photos . . . just so we would have some perspective by which to measure the scratch?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 PM

xoomer - Thanks.

jc53 - Any chance you could have your wife stand beside the scratched quarter panel as you take the photos . . . just so we would have some perspective by which to measure the scratch?
LMAO!!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally Posted by larsim
i see your

and raise you

Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 PM

that's really frusterating, it's silly that people seem to have nothing better to do than key a car for the heck of it. I haven't tried this stuff yet but it may be something worth looking into:

It's pretty inexpensive and available locally at pretty much any parts store. It may be worth a shot...hope it all works out
Old 11-13-2007, 08:52 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

xoomer - Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 AM

xoomer - Thanks.

Light,

Someone is feeling a bit frisky today huh?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Take a look at this. It's not a professional repair, but does a decent job of hiding scratches that go through the paint. Very easy to apply, like a ball point pen (filled with paint).
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/scratchfix2in1.html
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM

That's identical to the stuff I got at the dealer. It wasn't cheap but it did a great job on small rock dings.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:38 PM

Man that sucks some people in life are just asses
Quote from Pulp Fiction "You don't F*** with another mans automobile"
Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Sorry to hear about that. I have a 90 Maxima that got tagged by spray paint once. The paint did not really come off and really messed up the look of the car. I have an 08 SL now, and its things like this that really freak me out.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 92 Max
Take a look at this. It's not a professional repair, but does a decent job of hiding scratches that go through the paint. Very easy to apply, like a ball point pen (filled with paint).
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/scratchfix2in1.html
i have used that same product... cost abt $ 10 CAD (maybe more in american for now ....:-)) jk, ok, let us have a bit of glory for a while, 4 weeks?)

it is as 92 max said... not prof. but i dont think it hides anything (meaning scratches) ... unless your showing your car (and its paint job) to someone who owns a silver/gold camry....

i used the brush side of it and it is just "blobs" on the paint .....
this product maybe good if your not fussy..... (i.e. for a 10 sec repair job... ok....)

i had an egg thrown at my car (would you believe... on the left quarter panel... near the gas tank cover... mean scratches...and egg shaped as well).... halloween prank two years back... and i bought this duplicolour for it... .. every rain that falls just washes the duplicolour...

Last edited by tubells; 11-14-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by tubells
i have used that same product... cost abt $ 10 CAD (maybe more in american for now ....:-)) jk, ok, let us have a bit of glory for a while, 4 weeks?)

it is as 92 max said... not prof. but i dont think it hides anything (meaning scratches) ... unless your showing your car (and its paint job) to someone who owns a silver/gold camry....

i used the brush side of it and it is just "blobs" on the paint .....
this product maybe good if your not fussy..... (i.e. for a 10 sec repair job... ok....)

i had an egg thrown at my car (would you believe... on the left quarter panel... near the gas tank cover... mean scratches...and egg shaped as well).... halloween prank two years back... and i bought this duplicolour for it... .. every rain that falls just washes the duplicolour...
If you actually take time to apply it correctly (clean surface area, tape it off properly) it works great. I've used it on several spots on my car, and while not perfect, it looks MUCH better, and of course $400 cheaper than what the body shop quoted me for repainting. To each his own.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 AM

Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM

I've used the ball point pen side of the applicator. It was hard to fill in the scratch accurately with the brush side, but I found the ball point side is really easy to get to stay in the scratch and follow it for a thin, accurate line.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:27 PM

I hate to hear when anyone's car get's damaged.

Mean people suck! But I still believe that what goes around comes around..............
Old 11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
.org extraordinaire

Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 PM

jc53 - Life is unfair.

This is was the most entertaining post I read on this forum yet. Amazing.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by hondadude
I hate to hear when anyone's car get's damaged.

Mean people suck! But I still believe that what goes around comes around..............
Are you implying that I deserved to get keyed? Or am I just interpreting this incorrectly and that you mean the person who did it will get their just punishment?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:14 PM

You are interpreting it very wrong. He has introduced you to the term Karma.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Sorry to hear about the car, mean people do suck...

Entertaining thread FTW!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your scratch...The same stupid thing happened to me but in another way...last year in 06 while my car was in a parking lot of a WalMart up here in Montreal, (Actually LaSalle) My front right fender was scratched and dented like a crow bar or bike had hit it...very ugly....and I could not help but think exactly what Lightonthehill expressed in to words. Very true and Karma does work! Thankfully my car is insurred against vandalism and my deductible was only $50 which my stealerhsip absorbed (nice guys). By the way JC53 what is the significance of JC and where do you live? I hope you get it fixed soon....It's not so much just the scratch itself but the feeling that you have in the pit of your stomach that someone had malicious intentions towards you....even if not personal...if you know what I mean....just look at the positive side...you have a beautiful wife...ok I'll stop rambling now!

Last edited by xorbitman; 11-26-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM

bro i think its a jealousy on our maximas cut 3 days ago on black friday i got mine keyed in a parkin lot in woodbury commons ill post pictures up soon but it was bad i also got a video but insurance is takin care of it all now and all i gatta pay is a deductible