6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Have you had any trans issues?
2004 Auto tran problems
24.56%
2005 Auto tran problems
13.17%
2006 Auto tran problems
5.69%
2004 Auto tran replaced
2.67%
2005 Auto tran replaced
1.60%
2006 Auto tran replaced
2.14%
No transmission problems yet.
50.18%
Voters: 562. You may not vote on this poll

6th Gens and Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jrzymuscle25
so the tranny is out-- took some pics with the cell as you can see below.. also- the guy showed me the fluid from the tranny was dark and had metal flakes in it ... not good he said... he said i might just need a replacement... not sure-- he's going to open it up monday... tell me what you think..

Ouch keep us updated with the info , with whats broken , I had drain out the fluid and it was dark with a few metal , but we change / flush out the fluids out twice and now it seems to drive and shift smoother * knock on wood *

Its gotta be internal , but my tech hasnt pin point it because we havent gone that further to take the tranny out.

Originally Posted by kevin007
Which Synthenic and type did you go to and is it recommended for the Auto?

Kevin I wouldnt put anything but the recommend fluid for our Autos , A few customers put their own Non Nissan Fluids in the tranny and the car shift like crap, they came back to Nissan and had to flush it all out again for the Nissan Fluids.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 PM

i'll def keep you guys posted- at least the guy fixin my tranny is cool so he lets me come in to see whats going on
Old 02-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks like open heart surgery doesn't it.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 PM

SOOOO... UPDATE: :bash:
I almost hate this car already... so the torque converter needs to be replaced or have major repairs done- the bearings are all shot in it- The Valve body or controller or whatever is shot and needs to be replaced too... Also the internal soft parts need to be replaced because of the damage caused by the converter.. Solenoids to be replaced too.. So ya... :rant: this car is a nightmare..
two options- pretty much complete rebuild for like $3600 he said
OR
Salvaged transmission- less than 12K miles - installed for $2900...
Someone shoot me.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I believe the 5 speed Aisin Warner in my 06 SE was built in Indiana by Aisin Drivetrain. I wonder if the Japanese built AF33's are better than the US built ones. I only have 14k and no issues as yet. Only problem with this car is the crummy Goodyear RSAs wont hold a balance.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by bb700092
What is the logic behind that?
you need to take out the gunk before it has a chance to build up. If you change it (flush it) at 30-40-50k miles the gunk gets dislodged and moves with the new fluid only to settle and clog valve body, solenoids, etc, destroying it.

It's sad to say but my buddies at the tranny wholesaler said to get rid of the car because the new tranny will fail too, matter of time. He said it will be another 2-3 years before a decent rebuild kit with all the fixes comes out. Until then they just rebuild trannies with new parts and the problems are not solved/corrected.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

SOOOO... UPDATE: :bash:
I almost hate this car already... so the torque converter needs to be replaced or have major repairs done- the bearings are all shot in it- The Valve body or controller or whatever is shot and needs to be replaced too... Also the internal soft parts need to be replaced because of the damage caused by the converter.. Solenoids to be replaced too.. So ya... :rant: this car is a nightmare..
two options- pretty much complete rebuild for like $3600 he said
OR
Salvaged transmission- less than 12K miles - installed for $2900...
Someone shoot me.
I was told about $900 bucks in parts alone for rebuild, I don't understand why $3600 for total rebuild. Could the labor be $2700? NO WAY.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Ouch! Hopefully I will need see the inside of mine!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:35 PM

no way that its 900 bucks for parts....
Old 03-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

For anyone who has had their tranny replaced under warranty... did they give you any flack?

I just bought my Max (04' SL), it has 42K on it. I get the hard shifting between gears 1 - 2 (and/or 2 - 3...?)

So, if I understand correctly, it should be covered under Nissan's Factory Powertrain warranty (60 months/60,000 miles)?

My only fear is that they may come back at me with some flack over not being the original owner - and therefore if I do not have all maintenance records (and I don't) that they may try to deny my warranty claim as per the Warranty booklet.

Any thoughts/advice?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 PM

the warranty should carry with the car for the powertrain, regardless of owner.. thats what I was told at least!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the warranty should carry with the car for the powertrain, regardless of owner.. thats what I was told at least!
Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by U2Joshua
For anyone who has had their tranny replaced under warranty... did they give you any flack?

I just bought my Max (04' SL), it has 42K on it. I get the hard shifting between gears 1 - 2 (and/or 2 - 3...?)

So, if I understand correctly, it should be covered under Nissan's Factory Powertrain warranty (60 months/60,000 miles)?

My only fear is that they may come back at me with some flack over not being the original owner - and therefore if I do not have all maintenance records (and I don't) that they may try to deny my warranty claim as per the Warranty booklet.

Any thoughts/advice?
The should cover it. My service ticket showed $3500. Advice: take it in ASAP before it does any additional damage to the car. Let us know what happens.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 PM

i'm goin for the used tranny now.... its 92xxxx vin from an 2006 with like 30k miles.. hopefully this works out for now- can't affored the change for the rebuild.. i'll let you guys know what happens when the car is back at the end of the week. :barf:
Old 03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

no way that its 900 bucks for parts....
PM me a list with parts needed....
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys, new to the forum; thought I would add my transmission failure to the list, 07 Max with 27k miles. I bought it with a little over 26k miles. On Monday the car had rough shift into D, and then the RPM's were up around 3500 at 40-50 mph; the dealer reset the ECM and kept it overnight and tested it today, 4400 rpm at 35 mph. They are replacing the tranny under warranty, no issues about it. Hope its the only problem I have since I love the car otherwise. Sorry to hear about the issues a few others are having.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:55 AM

I have an 04 with 88k auto, MEAN slippage lol
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by d2k2vic
Hi guys, new to the forum; thought I would add my transmission failure to the list, 07 Max with 27k miles. I bought it with a little over 26k miles. On Monday the car had rough shift into D, and then the RPM's were up around 3500 at 40-50 mph; the dealer reset the ECM and kept it overnight and tested it today, 4400 rpm at 35 mph. They are replacing the tranny under warranty, no issues about it. Hope its the only problem I have since I love the car otherwise. Sorry to hear about the issues a few others are having.

07 with tranny problems? That might be a first. You have a CVT tranny right?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Apollos2

LOL, you don't know??? Yes an 07 has a CVT...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Funny thing is there are like a handful of shops nation wide that can beef our trannies up to withstand up to 600+hp but almost non want to share the info or makers of the valve bodies, clutch packs or torque converters used to rebuild for fear more tranny shops will steal their secret race built tranny procedures. If anyone has any info on upgraded tranny parts, where to buy or where they are made at, a sticky should be made with the information for all to share.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 AM

surf the Murano boards,
Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes a CVT, but I have read of a few 07's with probs, not many though.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by d2k2vic
Yes a CVT, but I have read of a few 07's with probs, not many though.
Where have you read that?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

On a different forum, not sure if I can post the link here but here goes:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=161947

But again, very rare.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The should cover it. My service ticket showed $3500. Advice: take it in ASAP before it does any additional damage to the car. Let us know what happens.
Well, I just dropped off the Max at the dealership. I called ahead, then told the Service Advisor of my transmission issues:

1. Hard shifting up and down from gears 1, 2 and 3...
2. Seeming inability to find the right gear at low speeds - while in stop n' go traffic, particularly around 20mph, the transmission continues to "hunt" to find the right gear...
3. Advised it seems to be arbitrary/intermittent, but outside temp may play a role (I seem to have less problems in colder temperatures).

Immediate response from the advisor was that it most likely needed "re-programming". I told him that that sounded like wishful thinking, in light of all I've read online about others' problems and the necessity of replacing the thing...

< Keeping my fingers crossed > // Waiting to hear back from the advisor sometime today...
Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Round 1: ...well, it was no big surprise to me to get the callback from the Service Advisor who told me that they could find nothing wrong with my car, and that it was "spinning like a top."

I returned to the service center and took the guy for a ride. While it wasn't acting up much (as it was pretty cold), it did have a couple of minor jerking shifts, and when I brought it to the guy's attention he didn't really respond...

Round 2: Will try again when it's a bit warmer (as the problem[s]) exacerbate with higher air temperatures...

If that doesn't work, will try another dealer...
Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 PM

So...add another '04 tranny failure to the list...heres my story:

Ever since I bought my max used in July 07 with 49K miles, it has been exhibiting the same symptoms that most people complain about: rough shifting, a little slipage, jerking into gear, etc. Took it to a few different dealers who all dismissed me and said there was nothing wrong and all was normal. Now I'm at 62Kmiles. Well last Thursday nite it finally happened, I was at a traffic light, it turned green and I went and the tranny shifted... well actually banged is more like it... through all the gears and next thing I knew the check engine light came on and the car went into a safe mode and was stuck in what seemed like 3rd gear. So now I'm mad and far from my house and tired 'cause it's late. I luckily made it home and next day I was able to "limp" to the dealer. It is now Wednesday and I get the call from the service advisor finally saying that my tranny is bad (duh!) and that they are ordering me a new one under warranty since I have been comlaining since before 60K miles. So I'm a week without my beloved max, lol, but at least it's finally getting fixed under warranty. Just hope they don't screw anything else up while they're in there.

Btw, anybody who has had their tranny replaced under warranty is it a "new" one or rebuilt that they put in?, I should have asked.

Last edited by Dayle97SE; 03-26-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM

to me it just seems that after you get ur tranny flushed it starts actin up.i have a 06 an i changed the transmission at 23k, but it been good so far now at 45k.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just wanted chime in. Just had to replace my tranny in my 05. Its got 35k. At 20 it felt like it was searching for a gear, and shifting hard. The dealer recommended that I get a tranny flush. But it was no different. So they just replaced it.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dayle97SE
So...add another '04 tranny failure to the list...heres my story:

Ever since I bought my max used in July 07 with 49K miles, it has been exhibiting the same symptoms that most people complain about: rough shifting, a little slipage, jerking into gear, etc. Took it to a few different dealers who all dismissed me and said there was nothing wrong and all was normal. Now I'm at 62Kmiles. Well last Thursday nite it finally happened, I was at a traffic light, it turned green and I went and the tranny shifted... well actually banged is more like it... through all the gears and next thing I knew the check engine light came on and the car went into a safe mode and was stuck in what seemed like 3rd gear. So now I'm mad and far from my house and tired 'cause it's late. I luckily made it home and next day I was able to "limp" to the dealer. It is now Wednesday and I get the call from the service advisor finally saying that my tranny is bad (duh!) and that they are ordering me a new one under warranty since I have been comlaining since before 60K miles. So I'm a week without my beloved max, lol, but at least it's finally getting fixed under warranty. Just hope they don't screw anything else up while they're in there.

Btw, anybody who has had their tranny replaced under warranty is it a "new" one or rebuilt that they put in?, I should have asked.
Wow you are really lucky they went ahead and replaced it but that is why I am always recommending to anyone who thinks they are having tranny issues to get it into the dealership right away and "get it on the books" that you are having problems. Oh yeah, as far as I know they are rebuilt. I know mine was. Look at it this way........they have a whole bunch of broken trannys they can rebuild and put back in our cars.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 PM

Somehow I don't think an online forum reflects the entire amount of 6th Gens sold, if the transmission problem where to actually reflect this website I think Nissan did an excellent job, the CVT bring another slew of potential problems to the 6th Gen.

Now a question, if my trans goes out can I get it rebuilt but to Heavy Duty standards, I've read about a couple 4th Gen owners having their trans rebuilt to HD standards and praising it
Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
Somehow I don't think an online forum reflects the entire amount of 6th Gens sold, if the transmission problem where to actually reflect this website I think Nissan did an excellent job, the CVT bring another slew of potential problems to the 6th Gen.

Now a question, if my trans goes out can I get it rebuilt but to Heavy Duty standards, I've read about a couple 4th Gen owners having their trans rebuilt to HD standards and praising it
A Stealership under warranty will only replace or rebuild a tranny to OEM standards because if they do anything more, Nissan now makes them liable for the repair cost and voids any future warranty.

I know my tranny was still under warranty and still would be under warranty until I dropped the Turbo in so mines in the shredder!!!

I'm currently working with several transmission places throughout the US to acquire race quality replacement parts (Torque converter, Clutch pack, Valve body) to rebuild my 5AT so it can hold up to the 400+hp I'm putting down. My 3rd gear right now is pretty much shot...

Last edited by chernmax; 03-29-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM

I have an 04 maxima that has a harsh 1-2 shift and slips pretty bad from 2nd to 3rd. Has anybody had these symptoms yet? I will have to wait until monday to get them again but it did throw acouple tranny DTCs.

Last edited by titanbk; 03-29-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 PM

My car has had no problems to this date, and it has close to 78K on it.. Should I need to start worrying now?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission Slams into drive and the (R)

I having problems with my o4 trans. I dely from frist to second at startup. And after driving for about 30 min stop and place in (R) and then back to (D) it pause and slams into gear. CAR HAVE 110,000 miles
Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ugh.. i hope to not run into any problems.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM

So I just read the whole 3 pages to realized that I am yet once again screwed. reading in hopes that someone has found a way to rebuild our trannys to last more than 10k miles. I am yet again replacing a transmission only this time I have 65k miles on my max not 51k miles. Rediculous. time to get rid of the max while it has some worth. Unfortunate this is. I baby this car and it can't even hold up to 300 hp at the flywheel. what a piece. Sorry you all had to hear me vent. On another note good luck to the rest of you.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:28 PM

The solution to auto-trannie problems (I had them in a 98 Olds before I got my Max) is the 6-speed manual. I have it and would not trade it.

Nissan made a mistake dropping that trannie option starting in 2007 -- so I will have to buy a different badge (possibly a Altima) when it comes time to replace my Max.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 PM

man.. i guess i wasn't the only one to feel the pain of an 04 with bad trans.. it only cost me $3200 to fix ... i'm going to get rid of this car probably as soon as i pay the loan down enough to not kill me at trade-in... I can't think of driving this car another 50k miles without worrying about the trans going again.. I hate it cuz everything else about this car is soo perfect.. probably going to go bmw next because of free maintenance and the power in a 335i.. afraid of what issues the new 7th gen will have :|
Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 AM

35 000 miles, no real tranny issues. I think that in 2 months, I got two downshift shocks or something, but no major issues like the max I test drove before buying mine. It was completely screwed, slipping, slamming, banging.

So far so good, and one way or the other, I have the extended warranty, and when it's over, I sell the car I guess.

Quick Reply: 6th Gens and Transmission problems