6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Some "friendly" advise from the service station

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:33 PM
SickSE

Some "friendly" advise from the service station

The car is due for an oil change but the tech relays some other information to me about other things he thinks needs to be done...

Brake Fluid
Alternator Belt
Fuel Injector Cleaning
Rear Shocks leaking? (never heard of that)
Power Steering Fluid

All at astronomical prices totaling up to 600 something dollars which I do not have. What are the things I absolutely need to have done. I will probobly have the car another 2 years and 50K miles. It is an 04 with 72K on it now.

Thanks guys,

Alex

Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Brake fluid - Change it yourself for the cost of the fluid, no need to pay someone, it's easy.

Belt - Check it out yourself with a flashlight, are there cracks in it? If so, change it yourself for the cost of the belt, usually under $30

Fuel Injector Cleaning - At your milage it's a WASTE of money and an easy way for the shop to make a buck on a sucker. Run of bottle of Techron.

Rear Shock Leaking - Jack up the rear of the car and verify it yourself. If you see oily substance comeing out from the boot, then yes, your shock is leaking.

Power steering fluid - Change it yourself.

Short of the shock, there is less than $100 worth of work there.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mtrai760
Brake fluid - Change it yourself for the cost of the fluid, no need to pay someone, it's easy.

Belt - Check it out yourself with a flashlight, are there cracks in it? If so, change it yourself for the cost of the belt, usually under $30

Fuel Injector Cleaning - At your milage it's a WASTE of money and an easy way for the shop to make a buck on a sucker. Run of bottle of Techron.

Rear Shock Leaking - Jack up the rear of the car and verify it yourself. If you see oily substance comeing out from the boot, then yes, your shock is leaking.

He's right, plus $30 for oil change.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Just a schmuck who's been told to upsell all customers who come in to the store doing his job.

Nothing he asked you to do is bad, but just over-priced.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:51 PM
SickSE

When I went to pick it up, I noticed the taillight which had "burnt out" says the guy on the phone decided to start working again.

Tire Kingdom. As far as I'm concerned they can suck a fat one.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

^^^^^ What they said and what a a$$ raping the stealership is trying to give you and last, If your shock is leaking (if) buy a set of KYB GR2 (better than stock and won't brake the bank) and install it yourself in about 20 minutes (3 bolts each side and unlike a 5th gen removable from inside the wheel well)...

Note the 2 bolts at the top and 1 on the bottom, piece of cake...(old pictures )

And since we have an independent rear suspension, no springs to worry about...

Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM

nice
Old 01-20-2008, 12:27 PM

If you still have your original manual it lists a recommended schedule for when this stuff should be done (3750, 7500, 15000, 30000, etc). All if it is good if not entirely necessary and much of it can be done yourself. If you get your stuff done at the dealership they should perform regular inspections of belts and fluids on each oil change. But I do think much if it is overpriced and can be done yourself if you know how.

mtrai760 is right on, verify and do it yourself. But the manual should have a complete list of recommended things to do if you are unsure.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SickSE
When I went to pick it up, I noticed the taillight which had "burnt out" says the guy on the phone decided to start working again.

Tire Kingdom. As far as I'm concerned they can suck a fat one.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sorry, but no Tire Kingdom in my vocabulary, they're ridiculously priced, not worth it at all. I've been using The Tire Rack for a long time, but I don't take my tires to be installed there either, they don't deserve my business.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
^^^^^ What they said and what a a$$ raping the stealership is trying to give you and last, If your shock is leaking (if) buy a set of KYB GR2 (better than stock and won't brake the bank) and install it yourself in about 20 minutes (3 bolts each side and unlike a 5th gen removable from inside the wheel well)...

Note the 2 bolts at the top and 1 on the bottom, piece of cake...(old pictures )

And since we have an independent rear suspension, no springs to worry about...
Wow, that's it?

Hmmm, even easier than the front ones, sounds good to me.

I'm in all honesty not mechanically inclined, but after spending some time on the forum, these seem easier & easier. I'll start doing a lot of stuff on my own.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM

How much brake fluid...

Originally Posted by mtrai760

How much brake fluid is required to completely flush the system?
Thx.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 AM

I am a new nissan owner, and am pretty suprised to see how easy it is to uninstall and reinstall the rear shocks. Does the car need to be jacked up or on the ground to remove the shocks in the rear? I didnt know if the suspension had to be loaded or not to remove it. So basically just unbolt the three bolts and replace with the KYB rears?