6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

The making of a rear valence

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SickSE
Yea Justin. Deus like I said before I gotta good feeling.

Keep up with the pics, I like lookin at the progress.
Thanks SickSE. I was wondering if anyone liked following the progress. Normally I am not so detailed about showing progress, but Im not too familair with this type of work, so Im looking for any help and suggestions I can get.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:51 PM
SHIFT_In2D

I really like the mock up. Would look SWEET once it's done really your car is definately unique! Keep up the good work and let us know if you do get it done.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Banned

Could you seperate the mufflers out a couple inches? Like the GTR? After seeing the GTR rear it makes the max's mufflers look too close together.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Could you seperate the mufflers out a couple inches? Like the GTR? After seeing the GTR rear it makes the max's mufflers look too close together.
U mean spread the mufflers out more or spread muffler tips? I certainly can make them further apart. I thuoght about getting larger more ornate tips too.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM

Larger tips, spread the mufflers further apart and putin more diffusers like your old setup. I'm not feeling just the 2 in the middle.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Ill be adding the diffuser fins after I get it built so there is plenty of time to decide. I like the 3 fins I had photoshopped, but the 2 in the middle is different
Old 01-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

I mean spread both tips out a couple inches, to look like the GTR.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 AM

All I have to do is widen the mold a bit, which would accommodate bigger wider tips.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 01-07-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I piss on Civics.

deus sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Ive been busy with lots of work. I realized after I did this image I forgot the diffuser fins. Can you upload a head on pic of the fins? I need something at the same angle.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 AM

That looks pretty sharp!! Here is a pic of the rear of the Skyline GTR Proto which is what I'm making:

The main difference is the middle diffuser fins hanging in the middle with a small red light. Also, the diffuser hangs down instead of going straight across, like what you have (which is what the production GTR has) Instead of having the diffuser hanging down, I want to have it attach under the exhaust area as a splitter, where it will stick out about 1-2 inches, kind of the like my front splitter, but not sticking out as far as that does.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
That looks pretty sharp!! Here is a pic of the rear of the Skyline GTR Proto which is what I'm making:

The main difference is the middle diffuser fins hanging in the middle with a small red light. Also, the diffuser hangs down instead of going straight across, like what you have (which is what the production GTR has) Instead of having the diffuser hanging down, I want to have it attach under the exhaust area as a splitter, where it will stick out about 1-2 inches, kind of the like my front splitter, but not sticking out as far as that does.

Ok hang on. You want the diffuser fins to be below the exhaust cans? How thick are the fins gonna be? draw me something in paint real fast with how the fins should look. Do a side angle and a straight on. Nothing too elaborate just basic instruction.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM

The two small fins should as you see it on the GTR Proto. The end fins which hang down should not be fins, but should curve under where the exhaust goes as shown in red in the picture below.

The lines should go straight across, and not angle slightly upward. Here is a drawing taped to my car that should help out:

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM

The red lines represent a splitter like I have on the front of my car and should stick out from under the car by an inch or so. I circled a part of the front of my car that should look like where the red lines are in the drawing in the post ABOVE.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I piss on Civics.

I really hope I've been drinking too much after work cause I could swear you want a mini splitter below each exhaust and 3 diffuser fins equally spaced below the grill mesh. What a long sentence that was. Holy crap Pulitzer. Anyway I'm going to do a quick chop later tonight after I clean out the ride a little. It's fking filthy from all this winter weather. Stupid weather destroyed my wipers. No worries.

Now I have a reason to install my Bosch ICONS! And for 38 bucks for the 2 they look friggin great. I wish all the bad weather would go away so I could be photoshopping this onto my ride and not the west coast RED... i mean BLACK HEAT.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ecksy
I really hope I've been drinking too much after work cause I could swear you want a mini splitter below each exhaust and 3 diffuser fins equally spaced below the grill mesh. What a long sentence that was. Holy crap Pulitzer. Anyway I'm going to do a quick chop later tonight after I clean out the ride a little. It's fking filthy from all this winter weather. Stupid weather destroyed my wipers. No worries.

Now I have a reason to install my Bosch ICONS! And for 38 bucks for the 2 they look friggin great. I wish all the bad weather would go away so I could be photoshopping this onto my ride and not the west coast RED... i mean BLACK HEAT.
Just 2 fins in the center like this:

Close up:

The mini splitter below the exhaust is correct!!

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 01-07-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

U may be surprised Justin
Hope you are right!!!

you have been on the last few projects... except the tape accents on the mirrors and car ....

other than that... the splitter was f'ing sweeeeet!!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

deus sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Ive been busy with lots of work. I realized after I did this image I forgot the diffuser fins. Can you upload a head on pic of the fins? I need something at the same angle.

my god... if it looks ANYTHING Like that... then count me in .. and make me one please LOL
Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 AM
I piss on Civics.

I really hate this photoshop. The splitters look good I think but the fkin fins get me so mad. Should I square them out more? and perhaps a bit thicker?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

The fins arent supposed to be thick. I like the look. Try making them like in the these pics (just 2 center ones):

Also, have the splitter go around the corner too. Is there a way to lighten up the valence so I can see the details better When I have a good clear pic to work with it makes it easier to get the design. I really really appreciate your time effort and skill in doing these photoshops ecksy!!!

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 01-08-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Deus... just go over to HK right now and buy the rear end of the wrecked GT-R!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
Id love to but this is a GTR Prototype and I dont imagine there are many of these around; certainly no wrecked ones. This will be a pretty special rear end when it gets done. The GTR is nice but a bit plainrer than the prototype as you can clearly see from the pictures. It seems prototypes and cocnept cars get all the good stuff; the extra details like diffuser fins, splitters, spoilers, etc.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 PM

looks good man make one for a 4th gen now
Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Gotta finish this one first, lol
Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Incognito

Gotta finish this one first, lol
yep then once your finished you get to make like 20 of them for everyone else! yay
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
R33's and R34's EVERYWHERE here in Japan. Wish I could bring one home with me! I haven't seen the new one yet.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 AM
WSH for teh cup

certainly no wrecked ones.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=550123
Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM

Ooops That really sucks. I'd love the rear spoiler, lower valence and brakes. And rims. And steering wheel. . . . Oh, and seats. Thats it . . I think.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I piss on Civics.

I am liking this more but I think I need to trim the splitters up a bit. Suggestions?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by sloonz
R33's and R34's EVERYWHERE here in Japan. Wish I could bring one home with me! I haven't seen the new one yet.

The 12 years I lived in Japan I was in Heaven also, I wanted to bring back my Bluebird SSS-G but the conversion cost for US safety standards was outrageous. No big deal, got back to the US and bought a Max...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

I am liking this more but I think I need to trim the splitters up a bit. Suggestions?

Deus - if it keeps looking this good, you may have to setup a hotline to start taking orders!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 AM

ecksy: Great job. Dont trim anything. I really really like what Im seeing. Anyone have suggestions? Its very distinctive and looks like the GTR rear. Now if I can just get make it look like that . . . .
Old 01-10-2008, 05:01 AM
I piss on Civics.

My biggest concern in the whole design is the role the mesh grill will play. You need something that is subtle that simply doesn't overpower the effectiveness of the exhaust. Think lightweight. Think simple. You also need to think about the weight concerns in all this. Don't overdo too much in the rear. You don't want things weighed down simply because you needed that extra bit of fiberglass or mesh. Deus, it's your ride and you can do what you want and desire but for god's sake and the sake of the org please do us all a favor. Don't paint the grill red. LOL ! Jokes. No but seriously it's your design but just make me one too
Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 PM

My biggest concern in the whole design is the role the mesh grill will play. You need something that is subtle that simply doesn't overpower the effectiveness of the exhaust. Think lightweight. Think simple. You also need to think about the weight concerns in all this. Don't overdo too much in the rear. You don't want things weighed down simply because you needed that extra bit of fiberglass or mesh. Deus, it's your ride and you can do what you want and desire but for god's sake and the sake of the org please do us all a favor. Don't paint the grill red. LOL ! Jokes. No but seriously it's your design but just make me one too
Red might look kinda cool, lol. Seriously, I plan on doing the grill black and in some lightweight material, but nice quality. Im not sure the Home Depot mesh will work, but Ill look for something decent.

Its going to be lightweight becaise of the mesh and the openings. It should make the rear appear less bulky and bulbous and your photoshop pics confirm this. I think it gonna look great.

Here is where Im at in the making of it. Im forming all the little curves and get the general shape using styrofam. Then I will cover all foam in bondo and sand it to get a more precise shape. After I get the exact shape I want, I will make a mold of it with fiberglass. Then I can make my first valence. If you guys want, i can take pics at each phase if you like. Let me know any other ideas.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I piss on Civics.

take pics of each and every phase. If you make the mold then you can take orders ;D! I'll pay for all the parts and materials. I'm gonna look around for some good mesh for you to use. I am thinking a thicker diamond cut. What about you guys?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I piss on Civics.

Ok. I like this look but I think if the diamonds are going to be this big, the metal thickness needs to increase. Perhaps a black pearl finish? Just a spray can away.

There are more choices over @ http://www.customcargrills.com/prodd...od=%2301%2DUM4
Old 01-10-2008, 01:25 PM

I like the grill material on the left, eck. Also, a couple of things to do to the photoshop to make it look more accurate: 1. the area surrounding the exhaust pipes will be mesh also, not solid like the GTR Proto. This allows a bit more flexibility in the exhaust tips and location and matches the center mesh; 2. The white areas on the splitter under the exhaust pipes should be dark - it looks like its a reflection, but it would be reflecting, 3. put a small red light in between the 2 center diffuser fins that are hanging down, just like the GTR Proto has- it gives it a kind of unique look and a nice detail that I like. 4. Some mesh just below the exhaust pipes

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 01-10-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Here is a horrible Paint version of the changes:

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 01-10-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:32 PM

This is damn nice! Im just not feeling the mesh above the exhaust...
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 PM

So what am I gonna put there instead?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I piss on Civics.

deus my god. please no mesh by the exhaust. what about creating a cone like look surrounding the pipes? So it looks like we have a tight fight but behind the bumper there is enough room for the cans and piping to flex. I'll get on the photoshop right after this bit of scotch. god i feel old.

Quick Reply: The making of a rear valence