6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Any Suspension Experience with Eibach would be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any Suspension Experience with Eibach would be appreciated

Hi Everyone,

I have Eibach ProKit 1's with FSB with my original 18's on my 2005 SE. The front right shock has to be changed (second time in 3 years) and I had the top mount bearings changed on both sides and OEM struts changed on both sides too. I have the stillen fSB too. Now that my warranty no longer covers the suspension, I was thinking seriously of changing my suspension setup while keeping my Eibachs. I can not go with adjustable shocks as the weather (and salt) will kill the adjustable after the first winter. Also the roads up here in Montreal are bad (especially in the spring). So my options are rather limited. I was considering KYB GR2's on all 4. How many members out there are running this set-up and is it OK? Are there other ones that can be recommened?
Any advice would be appreciated. Also I need to order them soon so that I can put them on by March in time for Spring.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:19 AM

Any members have suspension setups with Eibachs?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 PM

OK I checked around and decided I'm going with KYB GR2 all around as I did not see anything better and no one has yet replied with anything better. I did a search across all the different posts too here. Very usefull. I was going to order the GR2 last year however I had problems with the top strut bearings and mounts and they replaced the left and right shocks and everything else while the car was still under warranty so I did not the usefullness in replacing all new shocks in the front after all the work that they did...plus the car ran nice for a really long time...until I hit another pot hole with the RHS shock...It's very noisy and now both will have to be changed so may as well do the whole thing now that suspension is not covered by my extended warranty. At least with the KYB's they have a lifetime warranty and "they" themselves recommend the Eibachs! I will order mine this spring so by May they should be on. I will keep you all posted.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM

I have another quick question. Can you get away with changing just the front two or is that going to be bad for the handling?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

lol wow - the guy asked four questions in a row and no one responds!

Anyways - I have Eibachs with the GR2's and the ride feels great. Just a little bit more firmer than oem - but yet comfortable .
Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 AM

The roads here in southern Ontario are no better than those in Montreal I've got the Eibach Pro-Kit and KYB combo as well. With my 19 inch summer tires/rims the ride is somewhat harsher than stock but the stability/cornering improvements more than offset this. In my opinion the lowered stance of the Eibachs alone compared to stock is worth the purchase price.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
I have another quick question. Can you get away with changing just the front two or is that going to be bad for the handling?
The Eibach + GR2 setup is a very nice economical setup that is stiffer than OEM, but not overly harsh. This setup is a better one in terms of ride quality than a progress + GR2 setup.

You will be fine with just front springs--but even finer with all 4 springs installed. You can always toss in some coil spacers in the rears to level her out and still be able to have (2) heavy people in your rear seats without rubbing.

If I was you I would just replace the front springs with Eibachs and the front strut with GR2's and drive it like you stole it (your car willl be level). If you like the ride and handling just chill.

If you want better handling then toss in the rear GR2's. Satisfied? Then chill. Still want better handling? Then toss in the rear Eibach springs. Too low in the rear? Then toss in the rear spacers.

BTW Mad-Max, your car looks nice man.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:24 PM

yea bro love the car but listen where can i get spacers for the back or cant you just put eibach all around and put GR2 in front and KYB ajustible in back how would dat b??
Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 PM

I have the Eibachs all around....and I will try the GR2's in the front for now and see how that goes....thanks to all who chimed in with their experience and recommendations! and the ones with pics...your rides are very nice...Mad-Max, the Falken wheels are they made by FAST? Fast has a factory here in the west end of Montreal...
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 AM

My right front is going AGAIN too but I will ride with it for awhile. It is the 4th or 5th set of OEM struts that the dealer has put on for me (free each time) and I am only at 37,500 miles. I am on Progress Springs now for a little over 2 weeks and the drop is now at 1 5/8ths inch. I was looking at the Tokicos HP, they cost a little more but I think they will offer a smoother ride than the GR-2 but on that point I am not sure; I have more research to do. So if you haven't ordered the GR-2's look into the Tokico's.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread

Sorry about the hijack but my question does pertain to Eibach springs. I ordered a set last week and they're on the way now. I took my car to a nissan specialty shop and they suggested I get a camber kit for my car since the drop will be around 1.75" to 2". So, I bought the kit. Why? Because I commute 45 miles one-way. I would like to get the most out of my tires. Was this a wise purchase? (camber kit that is)

Also, to tie this into the thread topic, would a camber kit help the life of the oem struts? Or am I just stupid?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM

Love the look and feel but the clicking/creaking noise when turning the steering wheel while backing into the garage will eventually have to cease.

Haven't gotten it fully diagnosed yet but the tech at shop told me nothing major. Since I have the time I'll get the maxima raised up and see what's going on.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by KC2010
Sorry about the hijack but my question does pertain to Eibach springs. I ordered a set last week and they're on the way now. I took my car to a nissan specialty shop and they suggested I get a camber kit for my car since the drop will be around 1.75" to 2". So, I bought the kit. Why? Because I commute 45 miles one-way. I would like to get the most out of my tires. Was this a wise purchase? (camber kit that is)

Also, to tie this into the thread topic, would a camber kit help the life of the oem struts? Or am I just stupid?
I didn't install a camber kit when I installed my Bachs and more than a year later so far so good (knock on wood). As for your second ?, I don't see how a camber kit affects the struts directly
Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Xorbitman

The Falken wheels are made by the same manufacturer as Falken tires. I never even knew that Falken made wheels until my tire dealer told me when I was looking for wheels a couple years ago. You can see the wheels on the Falken website. Actually my first choice for wheels was the "Exclusive" model made by Fast Wheels, but they didn't have any in stock so rather than wait, I bought the Falkens instead.

Last edited by mad-max; 04-01-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM

I have the Eibachs all around, very good handling i jus get a rubbing noise here and there from the front when turning really sharp...
Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by Nismo116
I have the Eibachs all around, very good handling i jus get a rubbing noise here and there from the front when turning really sharp...
Rubbing noise? Like the tires rubbing the car?! If yes, I don't think that the springs have anything to do with it..... what size tires are you running?