6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Ive seen this before... I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:52 AM

Ive seen this before... I need your help

I plan to buy one of those nice Pioneer In-dash units that has the GPS and everything already built into it, and Id like to install it where the info screen is now and move that to the bottom, so if anybody could point me in the direction where I could get a full write up on how thats done Id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everybody,

Brian
BlackMax06

Recap for the lazy people like myself: Car was broken into, need tips on how to prevent it from happening again and I need instructions on how to move the info screen to the bottom and install an indash unit in the stock space.

Last edited by NismoMax80; 06-13-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: let's not make that public knowledge
Old 06-13-2008, 12:34 PM
*moderator*

There's many many threads on this subject just do some searching...
Stickies is a place good start for the dash removal:
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticl...article_id=119

As for moving the screen down, it's pretty much just that, pull it out and move it down. This was one of my first "DIY" mods that involved the stereo. It was really easy. As for the actual install of the HU, that is pretty standard as far as installs go.

Sorry to hear about your loss (es)....
Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have an aftermarket alarm? One that pages you when it goes off? If not that would be my first investment since they like to go after your stuff.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:18 PM

move.
or park it in a garage
Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM

" I happened to notice that my window was lowered a little bit"
If it was lowered a little bit that would be enough to pull back the window and stick their arm in the car hitting the unlock button without breaking the window. You must invest in an alarm, preferrably a pager alarm. On the other subject, Pioneer won't fit in the display screen but you can move it down.

Last edited by Gianniali; 06-13-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gianniali
" I happened to notice that my window was lowered a little bit"
If it was lowered a little bit that would be enough to pull back the window and stick their arm in the car hitting the unlock button without breaking the window. You must invest in an alarm, preferrably a pager alarm. On the other subject, Pioneer won't fit in the display screen but you can move it down.

Doing so would set off the factory alarm which would probably draw some attention. Even more than a pager alarm when he's away on vacation like this incident.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=BlackMax06;6465413] A few days ago I return from vacation to find my car had been broken into again ....................... My question is, if your car has been vandalized twice so far, why would you want to spend money on such a nice unit thats so visible? Thats just inviting the would be thieves into your car again for an early christmas present. Too risky imop..play it safe and just upgrade your speakers, add an amp and keep your dash looking stock. At least untill you move to "a better area" i guess.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:52 PM

Sorry for your loss, but same thing happened to me. But my situation is a bit different. I knew how they got in, they busted my driver side window.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:28 PM

I hear that in my area (Boston) there are problems with people taking a crowbar under the hood, popping it, and stealing the headlights. Sounds stupid, but i heard the max headlights are one of the expensive headlights on the market. Thats through the grapevine so i dont know if its true, i still have light
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Meangunz
I hear that in my area (Boston) there are problems with people taking a crowbar under the hood, popping it, and stealing the headlights. Sounds stupid, but i heard the max headlights are one of the expensive headlights on the market. Thats through the grapevine so i dont know if its true, i still have light
That was a 5th gen issue, they take them for the HID's. The 6th gen requires that you remove the bumper to get the headlights off. Not sure what this has to do with his problem though, he still has his headlights...
Old 06-14-2008, 12:55 AM

i never heard of these problems around boston. Are you talking about Dorchester & Hyde Park????
Old 06-14-2008, 05:32 AM

^^^^Wayyy off topic..J already explained that its a theft issue for the 5th gens. We now return to our regularly scheduled program......

Last edited by lowpro19s; 06-14-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:40 AM

thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far.

To the person talking about how they could reach in and unlock it, thats probably exactly how they did it, but the problem is I didnt leave the window cracked, they must have somehow found a way to slide it down.

As for wanting to put the unit it there, I really need GPS, I cant live without it, so my thinking is, by putting that screen in the factory location, it will be more protected/not so easy to break in and yank it off my windshield like buying another garmin would be. Atleast it will be bolted in the dash. Oh and an alarm is definitely getting put on at the same time.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by PapaL
Doing so would set off the factory alarm which would probably draw some attention. Even more than a pager alarm when he's away on vacation like this incident.
You don't really believe that do you? It MAY happen and it MAY not, please dont trust the factory alarm. I've seen this happen many times were it won't go off. Sometimes they stick a flat screw driver by the door lock where you barely see it (usually the passenger side) and trigger it enough to roll the windows down. Then entry gained.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=lowpro19s;6465940]
Originally Posted by BlackMax06
A few days ago I return from vacation to find my car had been broken into again ....................... My question is, if your car has been vandalized twice so far, why would you want to spend money on such a nice unit thats so visible? Thats just inviting the would be thieves into your car again for an early christmas present. Too risky imop..play it safe and just upgrade your speakers, add an amp and keep your dash looking stock. At least untill you move to "a better area" i guess.
+1 invest in a sniper to watch the car haha
Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=cefiro80;6469141]
Originally Posted by lowpro19s

+1 invest in a sniper to watch the car haha
haha... thinking that is definitely the best route to go, i tried to get a cougar... but they are kind of hard to find these days. Know any good snipers?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Well you got to have something these days. If you cant find a cougar or a sniper this dude might pay you a visit!! Hopefully not though..
Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gianniali
You don't really believe that do you? It MAY happen and it MAY not, please dont trust the factory alarm. I've seen this happen many times were it won't go off. Sometimes they stick a flat screw driver by the door lock where you barely see it (usually the passenger side) and trigger it enough to roll the windows down. Then entry gained.
I'm not saying the factory "alarm"/keyless entry is any good. I'm saying if the windows are down and the doors are locked; unlocking from the inside will set it off. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by lowpro19s
Well you got to have something these days. If you cant find a cougar or a sniper this dude might pay you a visit!! Hopefully not though..
Trunk Monkey FTW!