6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Noise only when I turn left?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Noise only when I turn left?

Hello everyone, need your help in diagnosing an issue. Everytime I turn my steering wheel to the left I hear a strange noise coming from the left front wheel area. It's not a loud noise - but it is there.

Additionally, I only hear this noise when I am coming out of the garage, pulling in to a parking spot, etc.... so in another words, it doesn't happen if I am driving above 15-20mph, only on very slow speeds. And more importantly, don't forget that this noise only happens when I turn the steering wheel to the left - when I turn it to the right I don't hear a thing.

Its an 04 - on Eibachs - has 49k miles with brand new (2 weeks old) GR-2s and strut mounts.

A buddy told me it could be the wheel bearings.... anyone else had this issue?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:07 PM
MAXIN' ON

Do any brake lines recently?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by redls1
Do any brake lines recently?
No - the rotors/pads were done while ago.....

I should also add that my car never, ever had the shimmy, and I've noticed that since this noise started, so did a slight shimmy

PS* I just had a neighbor (who is a mechanic) hear the noise and he said "it may be the steering column"?

So I have a friend saying it could be the wheel bearing and a mechanic thinking it could be the steering column......

Last edited by larsim; 07-07-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 PM

sway bar link?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM
MAXIN' ON

Stupid question but just throwing it out there. Since you just did strut mounts could they be loose only on that side?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:09 PM

not a bad idea^^^^^
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM

I have this same problem. I've been told it's the strut bearing. The oe bearings are incased in rubber and give out. Replacements are silicone sealed. If you plan on suspension upgrades, replace springs, struts, strut bearings, and strut mounts. Atleast that's what I'm going to do. I think this has something to do with my shimmy I just got. *off topic but kind of not* One problem can be related to another.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by redls1
Stupid question but just throwing it out there. Since you just did strut mounts could they be loose only on that side?
Could be. I am taking it back to guy who did the struts install Wednesday and I'll see what he says. At least the "wheel bearing" and "steering column" problem don't seem to be prevalent issues around here - which is a good thing!

Originally Posted by KC2010
I have this same problem. I've been told it's the strut bearing. The oe bearings are incased in rubber and give out. Replacements are silicone sealed. If you plan on suspension upgrades, replace springs, struts, strut bearings, and strut mounts. Atleast that's what I'm going to do. I think this has something to do with my shimmy I just got. *off topic but kind of not* One problem can be related to another.
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is difference between strut bearings and strut mounts? (and yes, I googled it).....
Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by larsim
Hello everyone, need your help in diagnosing an issue. Everytime I turn my steering wheel to the left I hear a strange noise coming from the left front wheel area. It's not a loud noise - but it is there.

Additionally, I only hear this noise when I am coming out of the garage, pulling in to a parking spot, etc.... so in another words, it doesn't happen if I am driving above 15-20mph, only on very slow speeds. And more importantly, don't forget that this noise only happens when I turn the steering wheel to the left - when I turn it to the right I don't hear a thing.

Its an 04 - on Eibachs - has 49k miles with brand new (2 weeks old) GR-2s and strut mounts.

A buddy told me it could be the wheel bearings.... anyone else had this issue?
I think I had the same problem. I have an 05 SE 46k miles and was hearing a noise when I turned left but from the passenger side wheel, also a ticking noise from the same side when I drive past a building or trees. Took it in to get it checked out at Nissan and it was the wheel bearings which was covered under the drivetrain warranty. After they fixed it haven't heared anything since.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by DizzMax
I think I had the same problem. I have an 05 SE 46k miles and was hearing a noise when I turned left but from the passenger side wheel, also a ticking noise from the same side when I drive past a building or trees. Took it in to get it checked out at Nissan and it was the wheel bearings which was covered under the drivetrain warranty. After they fixed it haven't heared anything since.
BINGO! I am also now hearing that "tick, tick" noise when driving past buildings or a drive thru window...... And who would've thought, wheel bearings covered under the powertrain warranty!

Good news nonetheless!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by larsim

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is difference between strut bearings and strut mounts? (and yes, I googled it).....
Strut mounts and bearings are separate. most come together. Also check the steering rack.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 AM

I've been hearing that left turn noise also. I thought that it was my rotor going bad since I didn't get it replaced when i got my brakes done last month.

I'll be heading to Nissan on next Tuesday!