6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman headers going into production

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Where is my shirt?

Wow I missed a lot!!

Ok so now it seems that there is a choice of installing the O2 sims and the headers minus the 3rd cat on the Y-pipe...

But we risk a major failure of some sort going this route...

Does this total up everything?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 AM

hey brian any pricing for JUST the headers with egr no ypipe?
Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 AM

I would like to see the design/pics of the headers not on the car please, are they shorty or long tub header
Old 10-24-2008, 05:35 PM

Alan I am assuming they are shorty if they fit the y-pipe
Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 PM

....not gettin them for a while (spring). but is it true the o2 wires need to be extended like deus had to do?

just curious bout the 02 wires cause i remember reading bout it a lil while back. correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by GrimMax
Wow I missed a lot!!

Ok so now it seems that there is a choice of installing the O2 sims and the headers minus the 3rd cat on the Y-pipe...

But we risk a major failure of some sort going this route...

Does this total up everything?

I don't know of any potential outcome that could be called a "major failure". In the absence of functioning solution for the "pre-cat and secondary O2 sensor" issue, you'll get a CEL. If you do have a working solution, you won't.

Brian
Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
hey brian any pricing for JUST the headers with egr no ypipe?
The prices you need are in the ad, but carefully concealed:

Headers only, AT or MT version, no EGR port (07/08 Maximas) - $599.99 retail, $569.99 w/ org discount

Brian
Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by JRoX85
Alan I am assuming they are shorty if they fit the y-pipe

Sorry this picture is so small, but if you can ignore the y-pipe and tubing configuration below the 3-1 collectors, the set on Deus's car (and our upcoming production) is very similar to the pair we make for the VQ35DE in the 02/03 Maxima.

Since the y-pipe is horizontal, with no upturned downpipes, and the headers take the place of the stock manifolds AND the pre-cats, there's a decent amount of vertical distance to work with. They're neither shorties nor long-runner style, they are a medium length that is typically most suitable for mixed street andc\ track use.

Brian
Old 10-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
....not gettin them for a while (spring). but is it true the o2 wires need to be extended like deus had to do?

just curious bout the 02 wires cause i remember reading bout it a lil while back. correct me if i'm wrong.

The mechanic that installed the headers on Deus's car extended the primary O2 sensor harness to reach the port at the base of the 3-1 collector. I find that some mechanics are more creative about going up the harness to try to gain enough slack to avoid the extension.

I've heard many times about extending the primary O2 sensor harnesses when installing our headers in earlier Maximas, but I know for a fact that it can be avoided, so after only one installation of this set its impossible for me to say whether its absolutely necessary or not.

We've heard some criticism about this in the past, but its not appropriate. The O2 sensor ports are in the only place they can be (to work properly), at the base of 3-1 collectors that are at the end of primary tubes that need to be as long as they need to be. You don't move the ports to meet the harness, you lengthen the harness to meet the ports.

Brian
Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cattman
The prices you need are in the ad, but carefully concealed:

Headers only, AT or MT version, no EGR port (07/08 Maximas) - $599.99 retail, $569.99 w/ org discount

Brian
thanks! when will these be available?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Should be ready by the end of November.

Brian
Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM

I know it's still early November... but just wanted to see how the fabrication was going... if there was any update...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

thanks! when will these be available?

We expect them to be ready in early December. There are only a few sets left from the first batch, so if you want a set this year, order now!

Brian
Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Looks great Brian, any thoughts on the possibility of creating a turbo exhaust manifold? The turbo set up Chern has uses the stock manifold. Was wondering if there is space in the engine bay for the turbo to bolt right to the manifold which would be optimal. Maybe something like this?
[

Last edited by JoesRedMax; 11-11-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by JoesRedMax
Looks great Brian, any thoughts on the possibility of creating a turbo exhaust manifold? The turbo set up Chern has uses the stock manifold. Was wondering if there is space in the engine bay for the turbo to bolt right to the manifold which would be optimal. Maybe something like this?
[

This could be done, but we'd need to work off of a proven part because I don't see enough demand to invest thousands up front in development. Once the product is finalised and a price set, we start taking pre-orders; since its a new part we'd probably need at least 8 pre-orders before we'd trigger the production.

Another possibility would be to team up with a good turbo designer/producer that needs a quality company to produce manifolds for their turbo kits. I don't have anyone in mind, but we're open to suggestions/connections.

Brian
Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Cattman
This could be done, but we'd need to work off of a proven part because I don't see enough demand to invest thousands up front in development. Once the product is finalised and a price set, we start taking pre-orders; since its a new part we'd probably need at least 8 pre-orders before we'd trigger the production.

Another possibility would be to team up with a good turbo designer/producer that needs a quality company to produce manifolds for their turbo kits. I don't have anyone in mind, but we're open to suggestions/connections.

Brian

How about Speed Force Racing who makes the Turbo Kit???
Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by chernmax
How about Speed Force Racing who makes the Turbo Kit???
I know Tim, and we talked about this a while ago, but in the context of simply using our header manifolds, rather than a special turbo manifold. Is he interested in doing a direct-to-manifold turbo mount for the VQ35DE?

Brian
Old 11-20-2008, 12:25 PM

stipid question brian: so basically to extend the life of our 6th gen engines getting the y pipe and headers would b a must? and if that is true and i get them how much do u think the installation could b in any local shop? and for how long do u think this mod would work?? i ask cuz my 04max has 92k miles and no issues whatsoever yet i dont really know for how long im gonna b lets say 'safe' of any engine or transmission failure. ive noticed since long time already that wierd noise when starting the engine cold and after is warm the sound goes away and i know that many in here had same issues and i think thats my only issue so far with my car (sorry if this is off topic)... thnks in advance for answers brian
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bandulu
stipid question brian: so basically to extend the life of our 6th gen engines getting the y pipe and headers would b a must? and if that is true and i get them how much do u think the installation could b in any local shop? and for how long do u think this mod would work?? i ask cuz my 04max has 92k miles and no issues whatsoever yet i dont really know for how long im gonna b lets say 'safe' of any engine or transmission failure. ive noticed since long time already that wierd noise when starting the engine cold and after is warm the sound goes away and i know that many in here had same issues and i think thats my only issue so far with my car (sorry if this is off topic)... thnks in advance for answers brian
The Nissan pre-cats have had known failure, which can cause engine failure if a part of the pre cat gets sucked up into the engine. U want to get a y pipe with built in cat in order to have your check engine light stay off and to pass the visual test (as long as u have the O2 sensors after the cat too).

Cost of header installation will vary, but its a 6 hour job by a pro.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
The Nissan pre-cats have had known failure, which can cause engine failure if a part of the pre cat gets sucked up into the engine. U want to get a y pipe with built in cat in order to have your check engine light stay off and to pass the visual test (as long as u have the O2 sensors after the cat too).

Cost of header installation will vary, but its a 6 hour job by a pro.
wow didnt think the installation could take that long... thats gotta b kinda pricey thk u for the info deus
Old 11-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by bandulu
wow didnt think the installation could take that long... thats gotta b kinda pricey thk u for the info deus
It took us 10 hours because no one had done it before on a 6th gen in my area and I was the test fitter/first to do it for the Hotshot headers...

IMO for the install I would budget $500-700 depending on the shop, anyone who quotes you less may not know what they are up against!!!

Last edited by chernmax; 11-21-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

The mechanic that installed these on Deus's car is very capable, but he had basically no Nissan or Maxima experience. We hear about 6 hour installations of our earlier Maxima headers too, but we know that a competant Nissan Master Tech can do it in 3-4 hours once he's installed a set or two. The excellent mechanic that installs parts for me and our local customers hasn't had a chance to put in the 6th gen set yet, but he's confident that it can be done in well under 6 hours by removing subassemblies rather than working around them.

Brian
Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Great info guys... already have my money set aside for install...

One more Q Brian... when the subframe is dropped etc., how easily accessible is the rear motor mount? I still have the 2nd MMI from Taz that hasn't been installed, and I figured this would be the time to do it..
Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Great info guys... already have my money set aside for install...

One more Q Brian... when the subframe is dropped etc., how easily accessible is the rear motor mount? I still have the 2nd MMI from Taz that hasn't been installed, and I figured this would be the time to do it..
Thats the time to do it!!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
It took us 10 hours because no one had done it before on a 6th gen in my area and I was the test fitter/first to do it for the Hotshot headers...

IMO for the install I would budget $500-700 depending on the shop, anyone who quotes you less may not know what they are up against!!!

im gonna start saving money!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 AM

so does this mean we will be seeing a turbo setup soon? and where can i buy cattman products
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Took my installer 8 hours to install mine and they're internationally known for their cars.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Maxlover1718
so does this mean we will be seeing a turbo setup soon? and where can i buy cattman products

We wouldn't be the ones to develop a turbo system, but we'd be very interested in making the turbo manifolds. Our website is renowned for being really lousy, but I'm working on a new one that will be a lot better. In the meantime, you can see our monthly ads on all the major Maxima forums, and we're always available for questions over the phone (we also take all orders over the phone until the new site is up). We can be reached at 800.759.9920 (US except AZ), 888.296.5153 (Canada and AZ) or 520.575.6195 and we're open 9-5 MST, M-F.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 12-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

The first batch of headers has been completed and shipped. We made 3 extra pairs, which are still available at the advertised prices.

Brian
Old 12-19-2008, 05:13 PM

Great to see them out Brian! Snap em up guys!!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 PM

woot! just got my UPS confirmation email expected to be here by the 30th! oh and by in case anyone was wondering my headers cracked...ny roads+ebay headers = death.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

woot! just got my UPS confirmation email expected to be here by the 30th! oh and by in case anyone was wondering my headers cracked...ny roads+ebay headers = death.
Very nice on UPS confirmation!!!

What was the price shipped... Did u get the full Ypipe+headers...

with or without cat?

are you 5sp or 6sp?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 PM

Hey Brian... sent you a PM... I have good news for you... get a hold of me this weekend if you can...
Old 12-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

We're back in the office after a week off. Just one set of headers left at the introductory price! We can finish this set to be for AT, MT or CVT.

Brian
Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Got my set yesterday Brian. They look great! It'll be some time before I can get them installed though. *sigh*

Any need to blast some compressed air through them? There's some residual dust left over from the fabrication process I'd guess... Boy I can't wait! But I have to! lol
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM

Got my set yesterday Brian. They look great! It'll be some time before I can get them installed though. *sigh*

Any need to blast some compressed air through them? There's some residual dust left over from the fabrication process I'd guess... Boy I can't wait! But I have to! lol
If u have a cat in ur system, u prolly should blast it out. Might be a good idea anyway. How about a pic since mine got installed on the car and never saw them
Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
If u have a cat in ur system, u prolly should blast it out. Might be a good idea anyway. How about a pic since mine got installed on the car and never saw them
Yeah I'll work on a pic tomorrow...

Can't wait to get these babies in!

No cat on on the y-pipe, but even so... just wanna be sure.

Running my finger around the inside a bit, there's some black dust that had to be left over from the fab process. It's not much, but still.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Get ready for 25 more hp at the wheels!!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM

You aren't making it any easier! lol

I need to find some time where I can leave my car overnight (most likely)... and a place closer by me, since my normal guy who has done all my work on all of my Maximas has his shop some 30 miles from me.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 PM

You aren't making it any easier! lol

I need to find some time where I can leave my car overnight (most likely)... and a place closer by me, since my normal guy who has done all my work on all of my Maximas has his shop some 30 miles from me.
The power rush is really awesome!!!! Like a mild turbo . . .

Quick Reply: Cattman headers going into production