6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman headers going into production

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Cattman headers going into production

Thought I would let everyone know that the development phase of our header project for the 6th gen Maxima (and 05/06 Altima) is complete.

Deus's car has shown no problematic engine codes during the 2 months the prototype headers have beein on the car, and the "globally-recognized expert" who was kind enough to look over the Cipher datalogs says all looks very good. He even thought we might be able to pass the CARB certification, although I have no plans for that at this time.

Whew, finally! I want to take this opportunity to thank Deus for working with us on this project. His help has been invaluable.

We couldn't set prices until now because the cost of steel and other ingredients are a moving target. Although they're a bit higher than expected, here are the introductory retail prices, followed by prices reflecting a maxima.org discount.

Headers only, AT or MT version, no EGR port (07/08 Maximas) - $599.99 retail, $569.99 w/ org discount
Headers only, AT or MT version, with EGR port (04-06 Maximas, 05/06 Altimas) - $629.99 retail, $598.49 w/ org discount

Y-pipe only, AT or MT version, NO cat and NO "extra" O2 ports - $379.99 retail, $360.99 w/ org discount
Y-pipe only, AT or MT version, WITH high-flow all-metal cat and NO "extra" O2 ports - $579.99 retail, $550.99 w/ org discount
Y-pipe only, AT or MT version, WITH high-flow all-metal cat AND two O2 ports behind the cat - $599.99 retail, $569.99 w/ org discount

Header/Y-pipe system, AT or MT version, NO cat or "extra" O2 sensors - $939.99 retail, $892.99 w/ org discount; add $29.99 for EGR port
Header/Y-pipe system, AT or MT version, WITH high-flow all-metal cat and NO "extra" O2 ports - $1139.99 retail, $1082.99 w/ org discount; add $29.99 for EGR port
Header/Y-pipe system, AT or MT version, WITH high-flow all-metal cat and TWO O2 ports behind the cat - $1159.99 retail, $1101.99 w/ org discount; add $29.99 for EGR port

There are special header prices for customers who purchased a Cattman y-pipe prior 01 November. If you already have our y-pipe, your price for headers is determined by subtracting the price already paid for the y-pipe from the three piece system price. In other words, if the system price is $893 and a y-pipe was purchased earlier for $380, the price for the headers would be $513.

IMPORTANT notes:
1. 04-06 Maximas and 05/06 Altimas require an EGR port on the back manifold and the 07/08 Maximas do not (prices vary).
2. Because installation of the headers requires removing the precats, its necessary to make the secondary O2 sensors happy (because they monitor pre-cat function) to avoid related error codes. In a 2004 Maxima, this can be done with an O2 simulator or by installing a main cat in the y-pipe, followed by two O2 ports for the secondary sensors. This is not confirmed, but it "appears" that an O2 simulator will not fool the ECU in 2005 and later Maximas and Altimas, so installing a cat and two O2 ports in the Y-pipe may be necessary to avoid a CEL.
3. We are offering a retrofit service for installing cats and O2 ports in Cattman y-pipes that have already been purchased - send the y-pipe back and we can install cat and/or O2 ports (exact price not yet determined, will be $200-250). We also have cats ($139.99) and O2 ports ($5.99/each) available if a customer wants to have it done locally and save the shipping. This service is limited to upgrading Cattman y-pipes, but we'll consider doing other brands IF there's enough room for the cat and O2 ports.
4. These are introductory prices, and unless steel prices go down there will be a small increase early in 2009.

We will begin production with a run of 20 header sets, which should be ready in about 4 weeks. Since there's quite a bit more demand than that, we'll start taking early orders now. Give us a call at 800.759.9920, we're open 9-5 MST, M-F. We will take all the normal order information, but there will be no payment before the parts have been produced.

Obviously I'll be glad to answer any questions (that I have answers for).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-14-2008, 04:14 PM

Are the prices listed above shipped?
Old 10-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

No, but this is not a particularly expensive part to ship. I don't know what a full system weighs yet, but its probably pretty close to the header/y-pipe system we sell for the 95-03 Maxima and that ranges from $25-50 within the continental US. Shipping a pair of headers (w/o y-pipe) would be substantially less.

Brian
Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 PM

Awesome , even though i thought it would be cheaper , i mean 900 is not bad , but now you're saying for my 06 6 speed i'm going to have to spend 1100 , kinda wierd , because you were going to sell me the y pipe with no cat , and didn't tell me anything about CEL , so there is no 05 06 maximas that have bought the y-pipe with out the cat ? and if there is are they having a problem with the CEL ? or the whole changes when you install the manifolds ? i dont really get it , and i would really be appriciated to get an answer. Thank you very much hope to hear soon from you , and get your stuff .

Last edited by vQ35LIFE; 10-14-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Where is my shirt?

YAY!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

time to collect and count my pennies.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 AM
i SeE what you did therE

very nice
Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 AM
VIP

Good deal!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 AM
*moderator*

Nice work everyone and thanks Cattman!!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 AM

whats the difference between these and ebay's? everyone's saying ebays work so they give you power gains...... can someone explain and plz dont come with retarded answers i'm just asking to understand this major purchase and

the reason i ask hotshot had the major problem with hairline cracks... ebay's ......
Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 90max
whats the difference between these and ebay's? everyone's saying ebays work so they give you power gains...... can someone explain and plz dont come with retarded answers i'm just asking to understand this major purchase and

the reason i ask hotshot had the major problem with hairline cracks... ebay's ......
never mind got my answer on a different web site thanx cattman ftw!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by vQ35LIFE
Awesome , even though i thought it would be cheaper , i mean 900 is not bad , but now you're saying for my 06 6 speed i'm going to have to spend 1100 , kinda wierd , because you were going to sell me the y pipe with no cat , and didn't tell me anything about CEL , so there is no 05 06 maximas that have bought the y-pipe with out the cat ? and if there is are they having a problem with the CEL ? or the whole changes when you install the manifolds ? i dont really get it , and i would really be appriciated to get an answer. Thank you very much hope to hear soon from you , and get your stuff .

I understand your frustration, but the answer is simple. Until quite recently (within the last 10 days), we had no reason to believe that O2 simulators wouldn't work in 05 and later Nissans. Note from my previous post that I haven't seen this tried out, but I've heard rumors that sims don't work with 05+ Nissans. I'm making inquiries now (with people more knowledgeable than I am) to confirm this.

Most (80-90%) of the 6th gen y-pipes we've sold were purchased without cats. We try to give the best advice to customers. If I'd known that installing headers required a cat w/ ports (instead of a simulator) I sure would have mentioned it. What reason would there be to intentionally misinform anyone? We'd make a bit more money selling a part w/ a cat than w/o one, so it wasn't a matter of greed.

We've established a program that allows customers to either send back their y-pipes to retrofit the cat and ports, or we can send the parts they need to get installed locally. That's about all we can do.

I will mention that whenever we get into a discussion (w/ a customer) about secondary O2 solutions when installing headers, we mention that there are two options - 1) O2 simulators, or 2) putting the secondary sensors behind a main cat.

I'm not sure what you mean by "so there is no 05 06 maximas that have bought the y-pipe with out the cat ? and if there is are they having a problem with the CEL ? or the whole changes when you install the manifolds?", but hopefully my answer to this and other posts will make things more clear.

Brian
Old 10-15-2008, 04:50 PM

I want to provide some input here since I have personally been involved in the development of the headers from start to finish. There are a number of issues I want to address.

I know in these tough times, we all want/need to save money. But you have to look at it in the long haul. A properly design and built header/exhaust system will last a long time and be more reliable. The systems offered on fleabay and other arenas provide cheaper priced products, cheaper made products, and no place to come to if something goes wrong. Further, many of these products are made overseas and I think its better to support our own frankly.

I know first hand what went into the production of these headers. I know that the design is extremely thought out (I played a role in this), build quality is topnotch, and it performs superbly, as the dyno proves out. Of course the sound is fabulous, too.

Anyone who is considering ebay products, be mindful of these factors.

Anyone who thinks these are expensive - take note. Dollars spent is all relative. If you can't afford $1,160, then you can't afford it. But the way in which to judge whether a part is expensive is to look at the ratio of dollars to horsepower. One of the better bangs for the buck is CAI. The problem is that the horsepower claims are hyped. The computer overrides the benefit of the CAI. So if you pay $300 and you gain 6 hp you spent $50 for each horsepower.

With the header and y pipe, if you spend $1100 and you gain 32 hp at the crank (as proven by the dyno) and you spend $34 per horsepower. This is a better bang for the buck than a CAI by $16 per horsepower.

The Check Engine Light(CEL) is a major issue/problem with Hotshot and all other headers that I ws aware, made for FWD VQ35 motors with wideband O2 sensors. A great deal of research by both Brian and I went into determining the solution to eliminating the CEL with headers. If he wasn't 100% sure that the CEL would not turn on, Brian was not going to produce these headers. Lots of data was analyzed, and lots of time was spent to figure out the solution. In the end, there is no CEL on my car to date and no codes thrown whatsoever after 6 weeks and about 50 hours of driving.

One more thing. The pre-cats on our motors are known to fail. My precat was starting to fail at 74,000 when I examined it. You can tell its failing because the honeycomb is plugging up. When that happens, eventually, it overheats, breaks off and gets sucked up into the engine (its true) and blows the motor. The headers eliminate the pre-cats, thus preventing this occurrence.

If anyone has any questions about these headers, please ask me.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM

wow, nice response deus but if i may ask any videos yet?!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:17 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Any photos of the headers not installed?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Good Point!

mark can you take a nice pic from the engine bay of those awesome headers?? Any how about a sound clip brother?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 PM

I've got the Cattman Y-pipe (no cat) and I will probably be sending mine back at some point to get retro-fit. Cattman vs Ebay? I wouldn't even consider it. My Nissan tech installed my Y-pipe when I got it and was completely impressed with the build quality and how it just fit perfectly. Proven build quality and customer service for multiple generations of Nissan vehicles, it's no brainer for me Cattman >> Ebay. You usually get what you pay for fellas. I'm saving my money.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 PM

ahhhh, at last! Great to see the time has come Brian! Ill'e be giving you a call soon to place the order.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Believe me, I wish we had pictures of the manifolds out of the car, but I don't think they exist. My exhaust fabricator forgot to take pictures when he made them, and I don't think there was a camera at the garage. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the Maxima's engine bay shows them off very well.

Brian
Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Pics:

Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 PM

In car video to about 6,000 rpms
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...derMoviegp.flv
Old 10-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Thinking more about emissions issues with the 05 and later Maximas/Altimas, please don't think I'm saying the ONLY way to avoid CEL issues (from missing pre-cats) is to put a 3-way cat and O2 ports on the y-pipe. We know it works, and some will choose that route for dependability, but it doesn't rule out other possibilities.

I hear about various ways to fool the secondary sensors by using spacers (there's a well-known tech tip on a 350Z forum that discusses this - I've seen it but don't have the link) or simply locating them way down the exhaust pipe to where the exhaust temps are falling off.

I recently talked with the owner of a moderately well-known turbo shop that specializes in Nissans, and he said they'd been having good luck (on late-model Zs ang Gs) locating secondary sensors several feet away from the engine, on the b-pipe somewhere.

I don't know have direct experience to say if these methods work or not, but I'm sure there will be some experimenting once the headers come out. If someone had a "cat-less" y-pipe already, they could check out other methods and get the cat later if nothing works out.

Brian
Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 PM
.org extraordinaire

blown motor

just fyi my car suffered a major engine failure last year due to the front bank pre cat failure, for anyone considering keeping their maxima longer then a few years this mod is a must.

Great job brian!!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I repeat.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM

he said no!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I repeat.

The thread grew quickly for a while yesterday and you probably missed my reply:

"Believe me, I wish we had pictures of the manifolds out of the car, but I don't think they exist. My exhaust fabricator forgot to take pictures when he made them, and I don't think there was a camera at the garage. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the Maxima's engine bay shows them off very well."

Brian
Old 10-16-2008, 10:31 AM

It was great talking with you again Brian!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:57 AM

So i purchased my y pipe in december, i paid 367 for it. So the headers will cost me 526 sweeeeet!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Thanks Catt,

Didn't see the reply.

Originally Posted by Cattman
The thread grew quickly for a while yesterday and you probably missed my reply:

"Believe me, I wish we had pictures of the manifolds out of the car, but I don't think they exist. My exhaust fabricator forgot to take pictures when he made them, and I don't think there was a camera at the garage. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the Maxima's engine bay shows them off very well."

Brian
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Is there any way to detect the pre-cat failure before it happens? Can someone tell me what it entails?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Cattman

I'm not sure what you mean by "so there is no 05 06 maximas that have bought the y-pipe with out the cat ? and if there is are they having a problem with the CEL ? or the whole changes when you install the manifolds?", but hopefully my answer to this and other posts will make things more clear.

Brian
Brian, I wonder if what vQ35LIFE meant is that, For the guys that bought your cat-less Ypipe in the past (myself included), why are we not throwing Check Engine Lights now without the headers? And what is it about the headers that makes them prone to throwing CEL afterwards? Curious about this myself, sorry if its a dumb question.. not really a motor guy...

Thanks
-Gene
Old 10-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Finding Nismo
Is there any way to detect the pre-cat failure before it happens? Can someone tell me what it entails?
Only way is to remove pre cats and examine. If the are imminently going to fail there would be loss in power. Ask Kamski; his failed.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Plus, at some point the catalyzing efficiency will fall off to the point that it trips a "bad pre-cat" CEL. I know that in some (and perhaps most) cases, the CEL will be triggered before the ceramic substrate starts disintegrating into sand. We've seen these patterns going on with 2000 and later Maximas for years. Really quite unacceptable that these issues have not been addressed, particularly since the serious problems (i.e. ruined motors) don't occur until well after the standard driveline warranty has expired.

Brian
Old 10-16-2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by grsiepka
Brian, I wonder if what vQ35LIFE meant is that, For the guys that bought your cat-less Ypipe in the past (myself included), why are we not throwing Check Engine Lights now without the headers? And what is it about the headers that makes them prone to throwing CEL afterwards? Curious about this myself, sorry if its a dumb question.. not really a motor guy...

Thanks
-Gene
The reason urs is not throwing a CEL is that the O2 sensors test the function of the precats by being located before and after the pre-cats. Since the header has no pre cats, then the O2 sensors are relocated to the before and after the cat, which is further down the pipe.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Not a dumb question at all, but there's a simple answer. Your emission system monitors the efficiency of the two precats with the two secondary O2 sensors; this arrangement is not disturbed or changed when you install a performance y-pipe (only). Cattman, Racingline, old Custom Enterprise y-pipes, doesn't matter, the precats are still there (y-pipes bolt to the outlets of the precats), and the two O2 sensors are where they need to be to monitor them, so all is good.

OTOH, your third (main) cat that is integral to the stock y-pipe assembly, is not monitored by the ECU. There is no O2 sensor checking the exhaust stream on the downstream side of the main cat, so your ECU has no way of "knowing" if there's a cat in the y-pipe or not. That's why you can install a "cat-less" y-pipe and not run into any CEL issues. It seems odd that things are set up this way - its the main cat after all - but that's the way it has worked since 1999 (CA/NLEV emissions in 99/00, all Maximas after that).

But all that changes when you install headers because the installation requires removal of the precats (each header manifold replaces the stock manifold AND the precat underneath it). The two secondary sensors whose job was to monitor precats don't "know" if the pre-cats have stopped working or if they're gone, but they trigger CELs right away. In 04 and earlier Maximas, you can solve this by piggybacking a O2 simulator on those circuits and you're good to go. But since the simulators supposedly don't work in 05+ Maximas, that simple (and less expensive) solution is not an option.

Barring another solution - and I want to emphasize that there may be other solutions, as I mentioned in an earlier post - its possible to fool the two secondary O2 sensors by positioning them right after (downstream) a working cat. In this situation, one practical way to do that is the method that Deus used - drop a main cat into the y-pipe and install O2 ports right after it for the two secondary sensors. When they're in that position, the exhaust gas they are monitoring has just gone through a cat, and since they "think" its been through pre-cats, and they send the good signals to the ECU.

I've probably covered some things that you knew already, but hopefully this makes things more clear. If not, please don't hesitate to ask other questions.

Brian

Originally Posted by grsiepka

Thanks
-Gene

Last edited by Cattman; 10-16-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM

was this problem with guys trying to put the HS on the 6th gens? my 02 has had the HS with an o2 sim for over 2 year, and no SES. Either way, glad to see brian stepped up to get these to you guys so you can enjoy all the power they produce!

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima

The Check Engine Light(CEL) is a major issue/problem with Hotshot and all other headers that I ws aware, made for FWD VQ35 motors with wideband O2 sensors. .
Old 10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I think that the Hotshot CEL issues most affected the 05+ Maxima and Altima with the new A/F-type primary O2 sensors. There are other useful design differences between our 6th gen headers and the Hotshots, but the CEL problems seem to get the most attention.

Brian
Old 10-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

OK, FWIW, I just heard from someone who is pretty knowledgable that it may be possible to use O2 simulators with an 05+ Maxima, so who knows...

An 05+ Maxima owner with a catless y-pipe is just going to have to pick up the sim and try it out.

Brian
Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Great Job on all Brian
Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 AM

i have used o2 sims on my boosted civic; after that i never got any cel's for o2 sensors. from what i understand, it oscillates between a fixed range to trick the ecu that its there and working.

Quick Reply: Cattman headers going into production