6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Loud clank after I put my car in Park. Any idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM

Loud clank after I put my car in Park. Any idea?

Ok So I recently posted on this forum about how I changed all struts and shocks. The car definitely rides better and I can tell I am riding on new struts and shocks.

HOWEVER, there is still this clanking noise that now seem to come not from the corners of the car but seems like right under the car.

Also, when I drive into my garage, and put the car in park, I hear this loud clank right after.
I don't know if "clank" is the appropriate word, but it sounds like a metal on metal sound, higher pitched. And it seems that it happens right after I put it in Park then I am about to get out of the car, the car moves a little, and it happens...loud too. I will post a video ASAP as the sound is hard to explain.

I am wondering if this sound is related to the sound I hear when I go over bumps. Inside the car it sounds different obviously, but I think it might be the same sound/ The sound stings.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM

could be engine mounts broke, common issue, or transmission acting out, also common issue. If you hear a thump going over bumps then maybe there wasn't a bolt tightened fully on the suspension. recommend checking all the bolts and also check the rubber boots to make sure they are in place. When they are loose you will hear that untill they eventually get torn off.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 PM

x-finger its not transmission

but motor mounts sounds plausible,,hell all sounds plausible lol

I'll check all those you told me though
im going back to pep boys tomorrow to check.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 PM

I would check the linkage.Also,take it to the dealer for an oil change and let them "discover" it.And get a second opinion.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:34 PM

I took a video of the noise tonight when I got in my garage.
The noise is the very last tick you hear on the video. I opened the door so it would be more audible, but regardless it can be heard inside the car...loud

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?i...2681841ed8.flv

should i get my tranny flush and coolant exchange at the stealership and let them "discover" it? I am due for one at 60, K, I am at 58 K right now.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:01 AM

Well, if it is engine mounts, linkage and the like...you are better taking it to your own mechanic. Way cheaper in the long run.

If it has to do with the tranny, then take it to the dealership. Let them decide which is the best course of action-flush, torquing the bolts, etc.

At the end of the day, get it sorted out. Could be a cheap fix right now that can grow into a a more expensive fix is you neglect it.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM

from the video i thought it sounded like it was in the car? does the noise happen as you shift your weight in the seat?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM

I have taht SAME sound. It does it when the parking brake like.. engages. I don't know. Nobody else has it?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
from the video i thought it sounded like it was in the car? does the noise happen as you shift your weight in the seat?
You are actually right, it DOES happen as the car shifts weight, like when I get out of the car, the car moves a bit...a shift in weight. However, i am almost positive it is not the seat mechanism or inside the car...You see because I purposely opened the door so the noise can be heard better with the cam. I mean I can hear the noise even if i didn't open the door.

I believe the noise does happen after I put it in park and the car moves. So I am guessing it may some sort of mount.

now while I am driving i Believe i hear this same noise because it is very different from just a clunking noise, it's much higher pitched and it is very similar to the one I hear after i put it in Park.

I am taking in tomorrow and ill update yall.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM

Ok guys, got the word from my local Nissan dealership just now.

The clanking that I have been hearing is indeed motor mount. Congrats to all the smart people on the forum.

However, I have other troubles in the car and I will know by Monday if my extended 75 K warranty from Fidelity will cover it. These are my problems right now

All listed include Labor + parts
1. Motor Mounts ($374 - This should be covered under my 75 k warranty)

2. Drive Belts (that whistling noise I hear at 2nd gear around 3K revs is the drive belts ) That is $153 - This is not covered under any warranty

3. Oil Cooler O ring - This is covered under Nissan 60 K power train - I am at 58K

4. AC hose (I noticed it wasn't blowing cold air) - $413 - uh yeah, I won't have ac for a while, thank god it's winter

5. Due for 60 K flush - they do a complete flush for $129 (not drain and fill) Is this a good deal? Or can I get it cheaper at another shop? do you recommend? I have only done the other flush at 30 K and to be honest I don't know what they did.

Synthetic for the transmission? Does it really make a difference? I have had RP in my engine since 18K, and love it. Should I go ahead and do synthetic for transmission?

any inputs appreciated
Can you guys tell me if those prices are reasonable also? I mean I know I WANT OEM Drive belts and not aftermarket ones. I heard the aftermarket ones make squealing noise. True??

But just trying to see if the stearlership is my best option. Really the only thing that is not covered is Drive Belts and AC. The AC for now is not imperative I dont got 400 bones to throw in there. THe flush obviously i will have to do along with other needed service for 60 K

Thanks guys
Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 PM

not all aftermarket belts squeel, sometimes you just get a bad one no matter who they come from
Old 12-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Just got my car back today.
Well most of the knocking noise is gone, BUT i still hear knocking from time to time. Where I hear it now seem to come from a different place.

now I think it comes from front passenger corner...only though, which is good.

Since I changed my own splash wheel well (that plastic liner that is located on top of the tire) I noticed that the other plastic liner (square shape) was loose.
I looked at the other side, and it flaps towards the frame of the car. I am hoping this could be the issue as well.

How many motor mounts are there? I saw one directly beside the radiator. I'll have to see if it looks bran new. Also, the left plastic panel right by my dash on the corner of the interior makes horrible noise. It seems loose. How do I tightened that?

It seems they did the job really quickly (not even 2 or 3 hours). I am a little skeptical. They're closed now but I will call tomorrow.
arggghhh
Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Ok guys just give you an update. My car now feels and rides like it was bran new...in fact it rides better than when I bought it with the 10K it had on it.

For all of you who are thinking about changing struts and shocks...please please go again and change the strut mount well. I Made this 80 dollar mistake. Changed all the struts and clanking noise was still there, AND then I bought the mount, but that means another labor charge as they have to dis-assemble everything once again.

So pleasssse, fork out the extra 40 bucks KYB strut mount and save labor charge for the future.

Oh yeah, Stealerships sucks *****. I basically had to troubleshoot this clanking noise myself. Doooshes
Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by hmr1979
You are actually right, it DOES happen as the car shifts weight, like when I get out of the car, the car moves a bit...a shift in weight...
same here! I have wondered myself what this noise was. 05 SE 92K/mi - but I have some sort of uber extended warranty, so I will make a trip to the stealership and see what they say.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by texoma
same here! I have wondered myself what this noise was. 05 SE 92K/mi - but I have some sort of uber extended warranty, so I will make a trip to the stealership and see what they say.
Sorrry I did not explain this one earlier. It is perfectly normal. don't waste your time going to the dealership. My Sonata and TL does it too I just noticed.
See it's a round mechanism that is designed to lock in place when put in park, and when you hear the noise, it means it catches. So yeah, perferctly normal.
I Was just thinking that maybe this noise was RELATED to the clanking I had, but it doesnt't...it was strut mount and struts!