6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Remote Start?

Another quick question... I seem to be finding some mixed information on my google searching for the answer to this question.

I have an 07 Maxima 3.5 SE with CVT and the smartkeys, and my wife has the 07 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with CVT and smartkeys.

I've seen conflicting information on websites saying that "Remote Start" is a feature already pre-built into these vehicles, and others saying it's not possible, and others saying it's a module you can add-on.

If it's a standard feature, how the heck do you activate this on the remote?

If it's not a standard feature, is their a module you can install that would allow you to use the factory FOBs for this?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 PM

I'm VERY interested too and have the same car-Maxima 07 with cvt and smartkeys. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Mike
Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry, to disappoint you, but there is no such thing as a standard remote start feature. These cars do not have any wiring or anything installed for it. Any Nissan dealer that will tell you they will install it for you, they will go to the third party to do that. The reason I know is because my buddy owns a company: www.blackcatsecurity.com in Illinois and authorized installer for Nissan's. He installs remote starts, alarms, and so on for the last 20 some years and Nissan is his specialty. Just take a look at his website.

You were asking is you can have a remote start installed which will work with your original key fob, and the answer is yes, but I would never recommend it to anyone. The reason is the distance: as far as you can walk away and still open the car that is how far the remote will work. In other words, very short distance. And the way it will work is when you press the lock button twice within 5 seconds, the car will start. It is better to get a different system, like I have on mine and have a spare remote or just the remote start remote, than being unable to start it for a longer distance. I hope this helps.

By the way, if you decide to install it yourself, be ready for a very difficult project. You will have to take out your instrument cluster to connect some wires to the control unit hidden behind it; take appart under the dash and so on. Have a professional install it (and I am not talking about Best Buy as a professional - they will f-up your car).
Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Whats "original key FOB"? The Intellikey? How much would a professional charge to install?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Hmm, either you get an extra key on your keychain or you keep the nice look nissan has created with the intellegent key and you have to walk a few extra feet.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rock_drummer
Whats "original key FOB"? The Intellikey? How much would a professional charge to install?

That is the original remote you got with the car.

As for the price, it depends on where you go. Just remember, this car is not an easy one to install, so it will cost you some money (I am thinking about $400 with all the parts needed). You can call my buddy and he will give you info, even if you are from a different state as an FYI you can use when you are shopping around.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 PM

I think I see what he's saying-The remote start button has a longer range than the intelligent key?

Last edited by rock_drummer; 06-11-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by dunyamunya
That is the original remote you got with the car.

As for the price, it depends on where you go. Just remember, this car is not an easy one to install, so it will cost you some money (I am thinking about $400 with all the parts needed). You can call my buddy and he will give you info, even if you are from a different state as an FYI you can use when you are shopping around.

Damn.. I found one for 50 bucks that someone said they got to work with their intelli-key setup.

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...art-2-way.html

What extra equipment is needed?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damn.. I found one for 50 bucks that someone said they got to work with their intelli-key setup.

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...art-2-way.html

What extra equipment is needed?

All I can say is good luck understanding which wire goes where and where to find the wires in the car. As for the extra parts, you will need a by-pass module which will send your car data so it thinks that the key is in for the start. If it is not included in the package you are talking about, you are looking at another 50-100 bucks there.

Also, many installers will not work with product they do not sell for the reason that if something is wrong with the system, they will not know how to troubleshoot it or where to get replacement parts. Plus you will spend more money on the install as the professional will have to identify the wires on the system you bring. If I were you, I would go to the shop and choose the system I want and let them install it. It pays off in a long run (warrantee and so on).

Here is the one I have and it was working for years (transferred from one car to another) without any issues:
http://www.ultrastarters.com/Feature...1280XR-PRO.pdf

I had other brands before and had issues with them.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Thanks! I'll check it out. About how much money did it cost you?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks! I'll check it out. About how much money did it cost you?

Well, I only paid for parts because, as I said before, my buddy does this for leaving. He did my installs and everything. I paid maybe 100 or 150 for all plus I had the main remote start module already from a different car. I used to install them myself, but as the technology progressed, I decided not to screw around with it anymore and have someone else do it.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Cool, well thanks for the info man. Hopefully I can have it done for not much more than a couple hundred.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:13 PM

PM pearl96max, he is an installer and has done this to many cars, use the search section and you may get your answer in there
Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Sick, thanks!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 PM

I installed my own remote start with alarm. I went with Compustar. It's a 2way. I have a Viper remote start/alarm 2way for sale brand new. I'd sell it for $275 shipped. I also have a Viper remote start brand new that I would sell for $175 shipped.

The only thing that sucks when you add the remote start is that the system has to be shut down then restarted with the Intellikey. I've got it hooked up so when I open my door it shuts the system down. Then I just get in and start like normal.

The Maxima is a difficult car if you don't know what your doin. Some places with kill you on pricing. The module you need is the DLPK, it runs for about $100, I could get you a deal on one. It works flawlessly with the Viper systems.

Last edited by BOOTZ; 06-11-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Damn, i might be interested in at least one of those-Thanks! How hard is it to install, 1-10?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 PM

If you haven't done one I'd say 11. If you know what your doin maybe 7.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 PM

Wow, well im not doin that myself. Where would you suggest taking it to to install?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BOOTZ
I installed my own remote start with alarm. I went with Compustar. It's a 2way. I have a Viper remote start/alarm 2way for sale brand new. I'd sell it for $275 shipped. I also have a Viper remote start brand new that I would sell for $175 shipped.

The only thing that sucks when you add the remote start is that the system has to be shut down then restarted with the Intellikey. I've got it hooked up so when I open my door it shuts the system down. Then I just get in and start like normal.

The Maxima is a difficult car if you don't know what your doin. Some places with kill you on pricing. The module you need is the DLPK, it runs for about $100, I could get you a deal on one. It works flawlessly with the Viper systems.

You are right about restarting the car. But there is a second choice that I did not go with and would not suggest anyone. You can wire in the way that you can get in and drive, but in this case, anyone can do that. The key will have to be hidden in the car and, if you forget to lock the car, anyone can get in, start the car and drive at any time. So one day you might wake up to find out that your car was stolen.

If any of you guys will go to install it somewhere, make sure you ask them how it will work as it is easier (and much cheaper) to install it with the key hidden in the car.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM

My original key fob already has the remote start in it (the intellikey). I've yet to be disappointed with the range on this....

Funny this was the dealer offering to install the remote start for me for $500, of course I declined... when I drove the car home that same day, I accidentally pressed the lock button twice and to my surprise, the car started up.... And the dealer wanted to charge me for something it already had, those bastards!!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by andcolom13
My original key fob already has the remote start in it (the intellikey). I've yet to be disappointed with the range on this....

Funny this was the dealer offering to install the remote start for me for $500, of course I declined... when I drove the car home that same day, I accidentally pressed the lock button twice and to my surprise, the car started up.... And the dealer wanted to charge me for something it already had, those bastards!!

You would not be the first one. I have seen dealers install remote start on the car as a display and than try to sell the remote start to a customer with that same car. The only difference between you and the dealers my buddy works with is that they unplug the remote start but do not uninstall. It is a perfect deal for my friend as he gets paid for installing it in the first place and than gets paid for reconnecting it if the customer wants it.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 PM

Ive got an Automate. Works great and can even tell the temp in the car from 300 years away.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 AM

I have the Viper 5901 on my 07 SE. Works great. Its just an extra key chain lcd screen. When I use the remote start I start it when I am walking out to the car and right before I get to it I turn it off with the remote. That way I can just unlock the alarm get in and turn the dial. Otherwise I was getting in hitting the brake and the car would turn off. kinda a pita, but I eventually figured the best way to do it. I had my buddy who is a professional installer do mine for 300. Plus I bought the alarm plus the back up battery, window module so i can roll my windows up and down for anywhere, and the module so i dont have to put my extra key fob in the car. I wouldn't have someone I did not trust do this install. He hooked a ton of extra options up for me that a regular installer would just skip (heated steering wheel when the car is started and the temp inside the car is below a pre set temp, hitting lock closes all windows and sunroof are some examples) I def love the system and especially the lcd screen I can always tell if my car is locked or not.

Here is my cardomain just send me a message if you want more descriptive names of what he installed.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3162516
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, just wanted let all of you know that there is a way to install remote start in Maxima (and Rogue, Sentra, Altima) and have it work like a normal remote start, meaning, you start the car from the distance, you come up to it, open the door, get in, turn the key and drive. And it is all doable with the inteli system. My buddy found the way out and got mine done, and it works great. Now I don't have to restart my car when I open the driver door or shut it off and start again before driving.

I am sorry, but I don't have the information of what needs to be done, but if you are in Illinois or will be soon, you can contact him/his company (www.blackcatsecurity.com) and he will get you upgraded (unless there are exclussions that I am not aware of).
Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by dunyamunya
Well, just wanted let all of you know that there is a way to install remote start in Maxima (and Rogue, Sentra, Altima) and have it work like a normal remote start, meaning, you start the car from the distance, you come up to it, open the door, get in, turn the key and drive. And it is all doable with the inteli system. My buddy found the way out and got mine done, and it works great. Now I don't have to restart my car when I open the driver door or shut it off and start again before driving.

I am sorry, but I don't have the information of what needs to be done, but if you are in Illinois or will be soon, you can contact him/his company (www.blackcatsecurity.com) and he will get you upgraded (unless there are exclussions that I am not aware of).
What was the total cost?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM

I've had remote starts installed in 2 cars and both times the total cost was around $500 if it helps...
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What was the total cost?

Well, he just did mine but did not charge me for the option. You would have to call him to find out as it will vary depending on your setup and system.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by omelet1978
I've had remote starts installed in 2 cars and both times the total cost was around $500 if it helps...
Did either car have a inteli-key?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Using Factory Key Fobs

From my experience I would rather use the factory key fob for a remote start. The main reason is convenience, you only need one fob to carry around. I had two fobs on a Chrysler product and it was a hassle, they would work the factory alarm but only the factory fob would turn on the interior lights when opened or operate the security system not the remote start. I have a 2009 Murano without the intelligent key and the alarm installer removed one key from the fob and hid it in the vehicle. I also have a 2007 Maxima with the intelligent and the alarm company does it for $199 the same as the Murano. They do all the local Nissan dealers using Directed Electronics stuff. They used a 561T on my car which is made to be used with factory remotes. I use to do my own stuff but for $199 and a lifetime warranty its not worth it. On vehicles with the key hidden in the vehicle you still need to have the remote on you or the motor will shut off. They also added a module to turn on the parking lights 7 seconds after the motor starts. It uses the tach. to verify the motor has started.

http://www.directed.com/
Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 AM

YES U CAN!!!!! u can get a remote start on a 2007 maxima.. using ur original key fob.. ask the dealer.. its been done and i have witnessed it
Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Aftermarket?

Originally Posted by zzznightmarezz
YES U CAN!!!!! u can get a remote start on a 2007 maxima.. using ur original key fob.. ask the dealer.. its been done and i have witnessed it
So without an aftermarket remote starter the dealer did it? Did your key have a remote start button on it or did you press lock 3 times?