6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scrui
ok, I see you are getting a bit upset, but that's a good thing. I see you are very passionate about your product and that's good too. I will keep you in mind when I make my choice. I'm planning a week in April for vacation to tackle this problem.

Choices:
1- Performance shop in LI - transgo kit w/ installation $500 (I supply the kit $100 )= $600 - *** No warranty ***
2- Level Ten -$700 (sending yours), drive in service $1000. Replacement $1,471.00 (not sending yours)
*** they STAND by their product 100% *** what is the warranty ? ***
3- Nissan - New rev.3 valve body $850 shipped from Courtesy Nissan. (cheapest so far) you can install it yourself or have a shop install it. If you have a shop install it it will probably run you an additional $200 - $300 = $1,100.00

Decisions, decisions,decisions.
REALLY I AM NOT UPSET,, JUST TRYING TO HELP, THATS ALL,, NO WORRIES
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM

ok, I see you are getting a bit upset, but that's a good thing. I see you are very passionate about your product and that's good too. I will keep you in mind when I make my choice. I'm planning a week in April for vacation to tackle this problem.

Choices:
1- Performance shop in LI - transgo kit w/ installation $500 (I supply the kit $100 )= $600 - *** No warranty ***
2- Level Ten -$700 (sending yours), drive in service $1000. Replacement $1,471.00 (not sending yours)
*** they STAND by their product 100% *** what is the warranty ? ***
3- Nissan - New rev.3 valve body $850 shipped from Courtesy Nissan. (cheapest so far) you can install it yourself or have a shop install it. If you have a shop install it it will probably run you an additional $200 - $300 = $1,100.00

Decisions, decisions,decisions.
Edit: Just contacted my local AAMCO dealer and they want $480 to install Nissan valve body. OUCH !!!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Scrui- FWIW

I had my valve body replaced with the new vwesion from Nissan a few weeks ago. Car shifts flawlessly . I have a 1yr parts and labor warranty. $1500 out the door. I considered the other options and did my research. The trans. shop I used has replaced many of these with the new version and none have failed so far. My car has 104k miles and I hope to put that many more on it.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by hip123
I had my valve body replaced with the new vwesion from Nissan a few weeks ago. Car shifts flawlessly . I have a 1yr parts and labor warranty. $1500 out the door. I considered the other options and did my research. The trans. shop I used has replaced many of these with the new version and none have failed so far. My car has 104k miles and I hope to put that many more on it.
Thanks for tie info !
Old 03-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I called Courtesy Nissan and they haven't heard about Part# 31705 Rev.3. Is there a specific part# for the Rev3 valve body?

I'm also contemplating an idea for sending valve body to Level 10 for rebuild, but I need the car and don't want to get involved with removing & sending my valve body for repairs. Is anyone looking to sell "extra" old valve body or has an idea where should I look for one?

Thank you!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

To LEVEL10TRANSMISSION.

Maybe you can offer a third option in addition to your $699 & $1400 offerings, where one can buy a $1400 valve body and then send you back the old valve body for a refund of let's say $600, so the final purchase ends up being around $800. Essentially it's $699 option + $100 or so for the inconvenience of getting the valve body after the transaction.

The numbers can be tweaked of course, but it just seems like something that will appeal to some people who can't afford to be without a car for a couple of weeks between removing / sending the valve body to NJ / getting it back, or spending $1400 on new valve body and then having to throw the old one away.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by yermak99
I called Courtesy Nissan and they haven't heard about Part# 31705 Rev.3. Is there a specific part# for the Rev3 valve body?

I'm also contemplating an idea for sending valve body to Level 10 for rebuild, but I need the car and don't want to get involved with removing & sending my valve body for repairs. Is anyone looking to sell "extra" old valve body or has an idea where should I look for one?

Thank you!
Sorry if I confused you, but there's no part # called rev3. it's just 31705.
The clerk just told me on the phone it was their 3rd revision of the valve.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 PM

hmm, this new valvebody revision seems tempting to get but does anyone know what it consists of?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM

31705-AY000 = original
31705-AY00A = first version
31705-AY00B = second version
31705-AY00C = third version

Ask your dealer to see if 31705-AY00C = newest revision 3 valve body.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Dear Sir, if you were in driving range to level10 we can do the repair for you while you wait.. about 2-3 hours,,,and if not , we can ups over night??
Old 03-31-2011, 04:07 AM
Former Sponsor

we may be able to build one from scratch for you as well,,
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 AM

Car is been driving good all week, but this morning comming in to work, I started getting a couple of jerks from 1st to 2nd, from 2nd to 3rd was ok.

just got my Matic-k in yesterday.

Levelten - driving over to you is no problem, your $1000 is my problem.

I can have the job done in LI ( 20min drive) for $500 installed and they are also going to clean the whole valve and add amsoil( don't know if that's a good thing or not).
Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KevMaster
31705-AY000 = original

Thanks, that helps a whole lot.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

well,,,,,,If there anything we can help you with in the future please ask,
Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by LEVEL10TRANSMISSION
well,,,,,,If there anything we can help you with in the future please ask,

It's the price you should negotiate I believe......specially if you claim to be a sponsor on this site.

Many folks are looking for generic way to get this fixed. You folks want premium price for your secret ingredient parts and tricks. Plus lack of better warranty statement besides just "100% works" statement.

Try offering $800 for drive in fix to members on this site and see how many more customers you will earn in no time. just a thought....
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM

It's the price you should negotiate I believe......specially if you claim to be a sponsor on this site.

Many folks are looking for generic way to get this fixed. You folks want premium price for your secret ingredient parts and tricks. Plus lack of better warranty statement besides just "100% works" statement.

Try offering $800 for drive in fix to members on this site and see how many more customers you will earn in no time. just a thought....
I agree !!!

He never answered any questions.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 AM

how much atf

I'm planning on doing the install of the valvebody on my own and wanted to know if anyone knows how much atf i'll be needing for the job. when i did the drain and refill about 4quarts came out of my tranny. I'm planning on ordering nissan matic-k from www.MyNismo.com
Old 04-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by maxlk
I'm planning on doing the install of the valvebody on my own and wanted to know if anyone knows how much atf i'll be needing for the job. when i did the drain and refill about 4quarts came out of my tranny. I'm planning on ordering nissan matic-k from www.MyNismo.com
I read somewhere that you will loose 1-2 qts from the valve.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:47 PM

ok, sounds good. so 6 quarts, roughly
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chernmax
I have an almost new Nissan Valve Body (2004) with less than 2500 miles on it that I'd be willing to part with $500 shipped. It was brand new and about $900 when I bought it. It's in a box soaked in Nissan Tranny fluid ready to ship! pm me if interested!
Check your PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi everyone. I just installed transgo kit today and got my car back. What I've noticed so far:
1) about 2s delay in engagement from P to D or R to D. But no such symptom backwards. Actually, this problem didn't occur to me before the kit installation
2) no erratic downshift problem from 2-1. 1-2 also smooth.
3) Sometime high rpm (4000 rpm) going from 3-4 gear, but very rare
4) Overall improved shift after installation. But I am confused about the new problem coming out.

Kev, do you recommend me to flush the trans fluid a few times in order to cure the engagement delay? Thanks a lot!
Alex
Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by alexznj
Hi everyone. I just installed transgo kit today and got my car back. What I've noticed so far:
1) about 2s delay in engagement from P to D or R to D. But no such symptom backwards. Actually, this problem didn't occur to me before the kit installation
2) no erratic downshift problem from 2-1. 1-2 also smooth.
3) Sometime high rpm (4000 rpm) going from 3-4 gear, but very rare
4) Overall improved shift after installation. But I am confused about the new problem coming out.

Kev, do you recommend me to flush the trans fluid a few times in order to cure the engagement delay? Thanks a lot!
Alex
Something is not looking good. I would revisit the shop who did your transgo kit install and consult the new problem (2s delay in engagement from P to D or R to D) with them. Remember doing transmission fluid flush (drain & refill) few times never going to hurt anything. However if something was not done right while transgo kit installation process then flush will not help and thn it will be waste of your time and money. The problem with transgo kit install is most of the shop take no gaurantee of work so they may refuse to re-open everything again. See if they can open just the black valve body cover to make sure everything is connected correctly.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Something is not looking good. I would revisit the shop who did your transgo kit install and consult the new problem (2s delay in engagement from P to D or R to D) with them. Remember doing transmission fluid flush (drain & refill) few times never going to hurt anything. However if something was not done right while transgo kit installation process then flush will not help and thn it will be waste of your time and money. The problem with transgo kit install is most of the shop take no gaurantee of work so they may refuse to re-open everything again. See if they can open just the black valve body cover to make sure everything is connected correctly.
Thanks for your reply! That was quick! I mean, overall I feel happy about this kit since as long as it's in D, I don't feel any shift problem. My mechanic really took some time to do the job and he seems to be very knowledgeable.

I saw your previous post about the similar problem: R to D delay? It happened after the kit installation or did I missed your other posts? And you also mentioned about doing fluid flush to make the transition mild. Mine feels at the moment violent and I have to press the brake pad in order not to let the car bump after start. I wonder if you feel like it could be a common problem? Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Alexznj, I heard that the car has to learn the kit, so it might take a few trips to get it's act together. just a thought.

Sometimes I wonder if it's necessary to change the parts Transgo kit comes with. I mean if the problem is sticking with the solanoids, why not just clean them and put it back.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks for your reply! That was quick! I mean, overall I feel happy about this kit since as long as it's in D, I don't feel any shift problem. My mechanic really took some time to do the job and he seems to be very knowledgeable.

I saw your previous post about the similar problem: R to D delay? It happened after the kit installation or did I missed your other posts? And you also mentioned about doing fluid flush to make the transition mild. Mine feels at the moment violent and I have to press the brake pad in order not to let the car bump after start. I wonder if you feel like it could be a common problem? Thanks again!
I have not installed transgo kit. I believe 110k miles later and then one day out of blue I felt very violent R to D delay then slam in gear. After looking at this problem carefully, I decided to perfom drain and refill 3 times anyway. However I also poured transtune in fluid and drove around for 10 minutes in all gears before one time drain and refill job. After doing all this I have not seen any violent R to D and D to R slam in gear. However I still get mild R to D and D to R delay & slam. In another word I am trying to put minimum toll on my transmission until I replace my valve body with new or rebuild one.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alexznj, I heard that the car has to learn the kit, so it might take a few trips to get it's act together. just a thought.

Sometimes I wonder if it's necessary to change the parts Transgo kit comes with. I mean if the problem is sticking with the solanoids, why not just clean them and put it back.
Thanks for your suggestion! I would definitely try to drive it around to see if it helps. I wonder if anyone has experienced a similar problem.
It does explicitly state that it'll fix N to D Delay/Bang,
http://www.transgo.com/SK-AW55.pdf
Now I am just confused about whether my kit was installed correctly. Seems like it did solve all the other shifting problems which were there before, but for N to D delay, it actually caused the problem which was there! Hope it is a temporary problem.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have not installed transgo kit. I believe 110k miles later and then one day out of blue I felt very violent R to D delay then slam in gear. After looking at this problem carefully, I decided to perfom drain and refill 3 times anyway. However I also poured transtune in fluid and drove around for 10 minutes in all gears before one time drain and refill job. After doing all this I have not seen any violent R to D and D to R slam in gear. However I still get mild R to D and D to R delay & slam. In another word I am trying to put minimum toll on my transmission until I replace my valve body with new or rebuild one.
Sorry I misunderstood your previous post. My suspicion is just that the high viscosity of the old fluid could be the reason for delayed N to D? I actually asked my mechanic to put the old fluid back in after the kit installed in order to save some money. My car only has 53k mi and the trans fluid was changed at the dealer about 6 mo ago. My mechanic also thinks it is unnecessary to buy new fluid. But maybe that was a bad decision.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Sorry I misunderstood your previous post. My suspicion is just that the high viscosity of the old fluid could be the reason for delayed N to D? I actually asked my mechanic to put the old fluid back in after the kit installed in order to save some money. My car only has 53k mi and the trans fluid was changed at the dealer about 6 mo ago. My mechanic also thinks it is unnecessary to buy new fluid. But maybe that was a bad decision.
I read a few posts here that some people kept the old oil, and had some issues after trango install. eventually they changed their oild and the kit started working properly. I think you should do the 3 drain system Kevmaster spoke about.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Former Sponsor

gentlemen, changing the fluid will not fix the slam shifting,, if you want it fix completely, visit the level10 web site,,to see your 100% answer
Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 AM

I went to church on Sunday and prayed for a miracle but nothing.
Looks like things aren't getting better, today on the way to work I started getting some hard shifts from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. 2nd to 3rd isn't that bad, noticed RPM's were going up to 3,000 almost. So i'm going to park
before things get worse, don't want to ruin transmission. and drive my father's Saturn ION. If Saturday's weather is good around here i will pullout the valve body and install the Transgo kit or I might use my other 2005 maxima's valve w/ 76,000 miles. ( Accident in July 2010 - insurance totalled car but i kept it - front and rear damage , I am rebuilding car on my own).
Anyway, I feel confortable making the change or cleaning the valve and install some of the parts from the transgo kit. I think the main issue is the sticking of the selonoids. Well should be intersting. wish me luck
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by LEVEL10TRANSMISSION
gentlemen, changing the fluid will not fix the slam shifting,, if you want it fix completely, visit the level10 web site,,to see your 100% answer
Alright, seems like your job is to promote level10 all the time but care less about questions from customers.

Let me ask few questions in plain english. If you can't answer then please go and get your manager or incharge person to answer this for us.

1) What is the warranty of your work?
2) What is the warranty of your work?
3) What is the warranty of your work?

Let me tell you why this is so important. If you guys provide 12 months warranty then going with OEM valve body is way much better option then level10. Why? because OEM valve body pushed us to 100k miles equate to 5 years of driving. No one would mind paying $1000 for OEM valve body with 4 to 5 years of driving gaurantee then paying the same money to level10 and get only 1 year of driving warranty. You see where I am going? If you guys are so confident about your work then where is the warranty information besides keep saying it works 100%??

OEM valve body from Nissan was selling for $1300+ at one point but now only $850. However your charge is $1000 from day one till now and never changed.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:37 AM

31705-AY000 = original

KevMaster - Just got off the phone with Courtesy Parts.com in Texas.

Maxima 2004-2006 5sp Automatic, 31705-8Y00A is the latest version. Remember best way to get the correct part, you must give them you Vin#.
I checked other Nissans here in NY, they all have the same new version 31705-8Y00A.
Note: Try different dealers your way, they might be offering discount.
One dealer so far quoted me $977.55 tax included.( 15%discount).
CourtesyParts, wants 881.00 shipped w/ ins. ( $100 savings )

Last edited by scrui; 04-05-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM

KevMaster - Just got off the phone with Courtesy Parts.com in Texas.

Maxima 2004-2006 5sp Automatic, 31705-8Y00A is the latest version. Remember best way to get the correct part, you must give them you Vin#.
I checked other Nissans here in NY, they all have the same new version 31705-8Y00A.
Note: Try different dealers your way, they might be offering discount.
One dealer so far quoted me $977.55 tax included.( 15%discount).
CourtesyParts, wants 881.00 shipped w/ ins. ( $100 savings )
When they punched my VIN # then they offered me 31705-8Y00B as the latest version of valve body. This was also more than 4 months ago when I called. I also have 5 speed AT transmission in my 2004 SE. I am not sure if this is due to VIN # specific however it shouldn't as long as the transmission are the same.

Call 1-866-464-5727 everything nissan as your last try.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM

has anyone tried the rebuilt valvebodies with sonnax parts? i was looking at http://www.sunbeltvalvebodies.com/sb...1/Default.aspx and it seems pretty good.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update:
Two days since installed transgo. Noticeable difference in shift, really like the smooth downshift now. But still delay from N to D, perhaps slightly less violent?(not sure) Have problem only during parallel parking. Just bought new gasket from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AW55-...item5195e93a0f
Next step: will go back to the shop and take apart VB for a second look. Then replace new ATF
Any suggestions? Comment?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by SATXBOX
He overhaul the tranny, change tensioners, brake pads, and also replace my valve body with a sonnax upgraded one. He didn't do the trangso install, i still how ever have my old valve body and the other tranny specialize store mentioned dat this can be an electrical issue as no tranny codes came up when they scanned it but we do get a P1800 now, by im still waiting on this following Wednesday to take it some place which is the best on the island for tranny repairs. And btw po9pimp my SLIP light stays lit solid when i turn on the car too, i seen where some metioned on a other forum where after they got their brake pad change thier SLIP light comes on then the tranny starts slipping any ideas, my ABS, SLIP, VDC OFF and BRAKE lights are on too.

UPDATE!

I end up buying a new transmission to install in my vehicle it drives like new again since 2 weeks ago, my problems were the transmission housing/case it self was damage, so even with the sonnax upgraded valve body and a full overhaul being done to it didnt work for me, due to internal pressure leakage from the housing/case of the transmission. If anyone need's to buy a working valve body, filter or any other part for a 04 maxima let me kno im located in the bahamas and my price is negotiable for my second working valve body..... email: bondboy09@hotmail.com
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 AM

UPDATE!

I end up buying a new transmission to install in my vehicle it drives like new again since 2 weeks ago, my problems were the transmission housing/case it self was damage, so even with the sonnax upgraded valve body and a full overhaul being done to it didnt work for me, due to internal pressure leakage from the housing/case of the transmission. If anyone need's to buy a working valve body, filter or any other part for a 04 maxima let me kno im located in the bahamas and my price is negotiable for my second working valve body..... email: bondboy09@hotmail.com
Reading your description I assume you have got 4 speed AT transmission valve body.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Reading your description I assume you have got 4 speed AT transmission valve body.

I have a 5 speed transmission and i have 2 valve bodies available for this transmission one sonnax upgraded and one untouched (OEM).
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 AM

I have a 5 speed transmission and i have 2 valve bodies available for this transmission one sonnax upgraded and one untouched (OEM).
sent you PM
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 PM

ok so i just purchase a 04 maxima from a dealership in LI, i live Brooklyn, ny am happy of my purchase but from reading previous post, WOW i can say i see a transmission problem in the near future, now am willing to buy the transgo kit if someone could point me to the right place on where to purchase it, the car have the RE3F22A transmission and its AutoTranny but i dunno if its 5speed or 6speed its a SE model.

Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX