6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Just in case someone has to save some money!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...alve-body.html
Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Code PO726 - starts off in 5th. & slams into reverse. What is the fix?

I also have code PO726. Starts off & stays in 5th. It also jerks hard when putting into reverse. Nissan has switched the ignition relay with the fog light relay & it worked flawlessly for 10 days & returned. Next they put a new ecm relay--worked for 1 day. Its now in a trans. shop where the technician is trying to diagnose the problem. He says its a electrical issue. What did you do to solve your code? Is this a valve body issue as most people have indicated?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

shift kit fail

Hi,

About two and a half months ago i had the transgo shift kit installed for all the same issues stated in this thread. I also did the flushes recommended after the repair was done. The car was like new for two months, i mean no hard shifting or slipping it was perfect. Two weeks ago the same problems returned. I have a feeling that the transmission was too badly affected by this design flaw and therefore doomed the transgo fix. Ive decided to sink not another dime in the 5spd at, I am now seeking any and all info on doing a swap to the 6spd manual. I would greatly appreciate info from anyone who has done this swap or has done the research and may have pricing. The car is still driveable but prob not for long, i live in the dfw area of texas. Please email, reply to post or call me with any advice.

email: lonerganj@gmail.com
phone: 817-832-9434
Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tex6.5
Hi,

About two and a half months ago i had the transgo shift kit installed for all the same issues stated in this thread. I also did the flushes recommended after the repair was done. The car was like new for two months, i mean no hard shifting or slipping it was perfect. Two weeks ago the same problems returned. I have a feeling that the transmission was too badly affected by this design flaw and therefore doomed the transgo fix. Ive decided to sink not another dime in the 5spd at, I am now seeking any and all info on doing a swap to the 6spd manual. I would greatly appreciate info from anyone who has done this swap or has done the research and may have pricing. The car is still driveable but prob not for long, i live in the dfw area of texas. Please email, reply to post or call me with any advice.

email: lonerganj@gmail.com
phone: 817-832-9434
there's another org that has good info on conversion.

check your PM
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM

My 06 max just pulled the code P0780. I checked this and it says:Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shifting solenoid valve
- Shifting solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Shifting solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted.
Can any one in the house tell me what numbers 3 & 4 are about. Are they referring to the mounts?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Costee
My 06 max just pulled the code P0780. I checked this and it says:Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shifting solenoid valve
- Shifting solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Shifting solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted.
Can any one in the house tell me what numbers 3 & 4 are about. Are they referring to the mounts?
Two words: Valve Body

Not a fun....
Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

update to 5sp. auto. in 04 max.

Originally Posted by derek
I also have code PO726. Starts off & stays in 5th. It also jerks hard when putting into reverse. Nissan has switched the ignition relay with the fog light relay & it worked flawlessly for 10 days & returned. Next they put a new ecm relay--worked for 1 day. Its now in a trans. shop where the technician is trying to diagnose the problem. He says its a electrical issue. What did you do to solve your code? Is this a valve body issue as most people have indicated?
My o4 max. with 152 Km. (96K mi.) is still in the trans. shop. The limp mode & bang into reverse is intermittent & now there is no code showing. He's thinking its the ecm. Its a expensive try if it does not solve the problem. He still claims this is not a valve body issue. Whats next?
Old 05-21-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
Two words: Valve Body

Not a fun....
Many thanks. I'm contemplating getting the oem valve body from Courstyparts. In order not to cause any serious damage to the tranny itself I've decided not to drive the car until I've fixed the issue. In a way, I've been expecting this and now my mind is at rest. When you have the 6th gen it's a problem that's bound to come, and when it comes and you solve it you can then enjoy the car; its just a case of paying your dues! For those of us just having this problem this thread has been mightily helpful because it has thrown up the readily available options in tackling the issue. As it is, I'm settling for the Nissan VB.
By the way, I'm in Lagos, Nigeria, so getting the oem might be somewhat difficult. I'll try.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
That's weird because my OEM valve body is 8Y000 and I was offered both 8Y00A and 8Y00B for replacement. Not only by one dealer but by more than one dealers. Another fact is that 8Y000 valve body is now almost discontinued....

I know for the facts that maximas that were built between:
Jan-2004 to Aug-2005 = uses 8Y00B.
Aug-2004 to June-2006 = also uses 8Y00A
(Aug-2004 to Aug-2005 overlaps)
That means maxima's that were build between Aug-2004 to Aug-2005 uses either 8Y00A or 8Y00B depending on VIN.

You are right and one should absolute confirm before getting the new valve body version.

May be maxima's that were build between Aug-2003 to Dec-2003 (Yes they were the first batch build 6th gen maxima's) uses 8Y000 valve body and can be replaced with 8Y00A or 8Y00B. I am not sure but I was told yes. I would ask again if I have to buy new valve body regardless.

Good to know all this and thanks.
Hi kevmaster, My car VIN is: 1N4BA41E76C850776, The year of manufacture is March 2006.
Could you kindly confirm for me from courtsyparts which version my car would us.
Many thanks.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Former Sponsor

see level 10 for valve body fix
Old 05-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Hi kevmaster, My car VIN is: 1N4BA41E76C850776, The year of manufacture is March 2006.
Could you kindly confirm for me from courtsyparts which version my car would us.
Many thanks.
Per http://www.nissanpartszone.com/.
your version is 8Y00A.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by scrui
Lift the front end of the car about two feet, high enough for you to get underneath and have
easy access. I used ramps. Please make sure car is lifted safely so there's no serious injuries.

Drain oil from transmission, use allan key to remove plug

Remove battery & battery plate. You will be able to see the upper bolts.

Also remove this bracket.

Now you are ready to start unbolting cover, but first spray Torx bolts with WD40, wait a few minutes before loosen them. The manual tells you not to reuse them,
well let me tell you they cost $8 each at Nissan, I reused them. I cleaned them up with wire brush and break fluid cleaner.
Tip: A couple of the bottom ones were a little more worn from the weather, so when reinstalling put them on top.

Remove cover bolts first. (this cover has a gasket that's very brittle, it will most likely brake if you try to handle it. Tip have a new one on hand when reinstalling).

I strongly recommend having a second person working with you, one can be underneath the car and the other on top.
I had more then one person working with me so we chose to unbolt first then to disconnect wires, if you are by yourself then I would recommend disconnecting before unbolting them just like on the service manual.
From underneath take out bottom and center bolts first, then from the top take out upper bolts, be sure to hold on to valve. You will notice they are not to tight,
remember this when reinstalling not to over tighten them, if you have a tork wrench better for you. I didn't have one so i just used same pressure to tighten them.
Once you pull the valve out, two small washers will either fall off or stay behind. from my photo one fell right away and the other eventually fell off also. these two washers were in excellent condition, so i reused them. In order for these two washers to stay up use vasoline when you reinstalling new valve body.

Here you will start to disconnect all the wires from the selonoids, the S1 - S5 were easy to disconnect, but the PS1 - PS3 were a pain to disconnect.
All the connectors are color coded and measure to length. when you reconnect them it's hard to make a mistake.

Remove bolt from sensor.

Installing new valve;
Place two washers with a bit of vasoline on them back first, then
while holding control valve assembly, connect the parking lock rod sub assembly to manual valve lever sub assembly. Then make sure you put the right bolts were they belong,
(what I did was, as I took one out I placed them on a towel picturing the valve, this made it easy to reinstall in order).
Don't over tight them, remember how they felt when you took them out.
Connect all the wires, again they are color coded and measured to length, but be carefull ok. Make sure they are all connected.

Follow these instructions to put cover back.

wait an 1 hr for RTV silicone to cure before putting new oil.
I lost 3 1/2 qts of matic k oil, so i replaced 3 1/2 qts of new matic k oil.
check for leaks, tighten accordandly.

Good luck.
I have the workshop manual for the 06 and the specifications are different from this one. Is the 06 differently configured from the 04 and 05?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 AM

I have the workshop manual for the 06 and the specifications are different from this one. Is the 06 differently configured from the 04 and 05?
I couldn't tell you, I only have the 05 manual.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 PM

I couldn't tell you, I only have the 05 manual.
Sorry pal, my mistake. I've since realized that you actually did some editing of the relevant portions of the manual to make it easily comprehensible. Nice work you did there. I'm contemplating getting the oem VB.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 AM

Sorry pal, my mistake. I've since realized that you actually did some editing of the relevant portions of the manual to make it easily comprehensible. Nice work you did there. I'm contemplating getting the oem VB.
Going with new OEM valve is an excellent choice, the new valve addresses all the issues that were bad with old one. I have driven for a month now on the new valve body and happy to say no issues at all. (knock on wood). Saturday I'm going to drain my transmission fluid again to make sure I have clean fluid all around.
It's important that you change the fluid regularly to keep the valve from clogging. I will do it one more time at the end of the summer. After that i plan to change my oil every 15,000.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

If anyone needs the transgo kit, I have a brand new one in the box for $75 shipped. I decided to go with a whole valve body instead.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ATCzero
scrui,

Thanks for the info. I went to the shop this morning and dropped off your post with pics and descriptions at 7am this morning. I called at 3 to find out the progress.

They back tracked and started over. The same problem occurred, So they put in the old vb. Still the same problem occurred. The car just won't go into gear anymore. Also, during slow driving, the tech say it sounds like the car is trying to go into 2 gears at once. Now they think its a bad transmission control module but they're going to do a diagnostic tomorrow to find out.. Thats a new part to the tune of $550 from nissan.

This problem was not there when I dropped the car off!!

I called Nissan and they said they'd be more than happy to help me out with this issue, but I'm already $1000 deep in this problem. I'm sure Nissan would get it done fast and correct... Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?
What did you end up with? Is the issue now resolved?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by edjose17
Per http://www.nissanpartszone.com/.
your version is 8Y00A.
Got that. Many thanks.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Many thanks. I'm contemplating getting the oem valve body from Courstyparts. In order not to cause any serious damage to the tranny itself I've decided not to drive the car until I've fixed the issue. In a way, I've been expecting this and now my mind is at rest. When you have the 6th gen it's a problem that's bound to come, and when it comes and you solve it you can then enjoy the car; its just a case of paying your dues! For those of us just having this problem this thread has been mightily helpful because it has thrown up the readily available options in tackling the issue. As it is, I'm settling for the Nissan VB.
By the way, I'm in Lagos, Nigeria, so getting the oem might be somewhat difficult. I'll try.
The order is placed. Hopefully it should reach me in the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Hello everyone, it finally happened to me. I have 108,000 on my Max and in the last few weeks ( occasionally ) I had hard shifts from 2nd to 3rd,
Was your tranny fluid ever changed before the problem?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

sorry to hear that, the good news is that it can be fixed, see levelten.com
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by LEVEL10TRANSMISSION
sorry to hear that, the good news is that it can be fixed, see levelten.com
I don't know who do you saying sorry to. If you're saying sorry to scrui's transmission issue then just so you know he refused to buy valve body from you and he went ahead with new OEM valve body. To be honest, you are losing levelten's credibility with replying in short messages on this forum.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

update

My o4 max. with 152 Km. (96K mi.) is still in the trans. shop. The limp mode & bang into reverse is intermittent & now there is no code showing. He's thinking its the ecm. Its a expensive try if it does not solve the problem. He still claims this is not a valve body issue. Whats next?
Trans. shop put new crank sensor in today---did not solve problem--heading to computer tech.RPM in Victoria as Trans. shop is 100% sure its a computer issue. We have loved our Max. but this will be our last one. Our fingers are crossed.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Trans. shop put new crank sensor in today---did not solve problem--heading to computer tech.RPM in Victoria as Trans. shop is 100% sure its a computer issue. We have loved our Max. but this will be our last one. Our fingers are crossed.
So sorry. Rest assured that with this next move you're about solving the issue. All woes will be forgotten as you'll re-love your max.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM
Former Sponsor

I can see you have issues. It takes all kinds,, we are here to help people, if you do not want help from us , that is up to you. Many Thousadns of others are very happy on how we fixed the slam shifts.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

goodbye Max

Enough is enough---have gone back to toyota, at least they have admitted any design faults & helped in remediating the issues.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Think I may take the leap and get the new valve body.. I won't need the transgo kit anymore though is this correct? How do I know if I need a new valve body though. Could I go the transgo route and be okay? I don't have any banging of gears or anything necessarily bad happening yet (knock on wood) however I'd like to preserve my transmission of imminent failure. I only experience high revs and some un-smooth shifts from 2-3 up and down (since I drive like a grandma)

Going to get my VIN # today and post later.. Also how do I found out my current valve body type any quick an easy way?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM

Liquid, go with level 10 if you are getting a new valve body
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Liquid, go with level 10 if you are getting a new valve body
Maybe. But with more $$$ too.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi Costee, Thank you for the referial,,Gentlemen,,what we do here at Level 10 is reengineer your valve body,we completely tear it down and there is some drilling envolved, pluging and replacing check *****, etc. etc. ( i can not go into more detail) we correcting the original manufactures design flaw so the hard shifting will never happen again. It has worked on literally 1000,s of Nissans we have worked on 100% of the time. The price if you send in your v/b $698.00,and it takes about 2-2 1/2 days, again we are only trying to help with out 38 years in the business. 100% is a great number don't you all think?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 AM

Hi Costee, Thank you for the referial,,Gentlemen,,what we do here at Level 10 is reengineer your valve body,we completely tear it down and there is some drilling envolved, pluging and replacing check *****, etc. etc. ( i can not go into more detail) we correcting the original manufactures design flaw so the hard shifting will never happen again. It has worked on literally 1000,s of Nissans we have worked on 100% of the time. The price if you send in your v/b $698.00,and it takes about 2-2 1/2 days, again we are only trying to help with out 38 years in the business. 100% is a great number don't you all think?
That was no referral. I was only mentioning that a new VB from L10 costs more. As it is however, you have ignored mentioning a new VB, and now insisting that your re-manufactured VB is enough.
Hey! For the first time you actually proffer some information on what L10 does to make better VBs. Scrui and Kevmaster should be happy about that!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 AM

If I knew I could be without my car for 2 and a half days and if I never saw some of the posts I have seen here I may have considered Level10. No real help offered here just someone looking to cash in on our valve body's in my opinion. I understand they have a fix but the lack of constructive posts and broken English telling us to "bring it in" "sorry to hear" that aren't directed to anyone tell me otherwise. I'd feel better putting my money into the new valve body (the newly revisioned one). Especially since Kevmasters response was spot on I felt the same way. Will be looking into the rebuilt Nissan Valve Body.

Last edited by LiquidIce; 06-01-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Former Sponsor

LIQUID, GOOD LUCK PUTTING THE SAME PROBLEM PART BACK INTO YOUR CAR,, AND YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM DOWN THE ROAD
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 AM

" there is some drilling envolved, pluging and replacing check *****, etc. etc."
That sounds similar to a Transgo shift kit you just didnt say anything about switching out different springs yet.

Last edited by memphisballer; 06-01-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM

That's because, as the guy (chick?) says, "i can not go into more detail." lol
LOL

Springs may or may not require changing. More likely not as long as you clean the hell out of SLT, SLU, and SLS solenoids to let the armature or plunger move freely. Go ahead and also replace the sleeves and plungers together with gaskets. That's all one need to do to make the faulty (sticky) valve body in working condition again.

I felt first transmission gear slams in my ride when my meter was reading 108k miles I believe. I did nothing except for three drain and refill and all I am experiencing right now at 122k miles is mild slams in gears. I am still on my OEM valve body. If that's the case then the OEM valve body is guaranteed to work for 100k miles if you don't drive your ride like an idiot everyday. I heard no valve body builders out there gives 100k miles warranty. Yes we all know that rebuild valve body 100% works but what if it stop working after 20k miles? That was more likely a question for level10. All options are widely open for one who wants to replace the valve body with another one.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will receive my valve body next week from Courtesy parts next week and hopefully start the swap on the weekend. $845 for valve body and $170 for new throttle body ( some upgrade not sure why but i will replace it) and 4 quarts of fluid for a total of $1080 with shipping. I will take that for another 100K anytime.......
Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by l2111
I will receive my valve body next week from Courtesy parts next week and hopefully start the swap on the weekend. $845 for valve body and $170 for new throttle body ( some upgrade not sure why but i will replace it) and 4 quarts of fluid for a total of $1080 with shipping. I will take that for another 100K anytime.......
Good luck, though I think you need to brief the house on what the problem was with car. Is it still on the road, or you've had to park it till the new VB is installed?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi,

I purchased the barely used valve body from chernmax. I did the swap myself a week ago this past sunday. It took me approximately 2.5 hours for me and my dad to do the swap. If you follow the directions as listed previously in this post, it is extremely easy to do. Prior to putting in the new vavle body, I was experiencing very, very hard shift and slams into gear. I have since put on approximately 1200 miles since the installation, and I am happy to report the car is performing flawlessly.

Thanks again, chernmax, for everything.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by mysterybike
Hi,

I purchased the barely used valve body from chernmax. I did the swap myself a week ago this past sunday. It took me approximately 2.5 hours for me and my dad to do the swap. If you follow the directions as listed previously in this post, it is extremely easy to do. Prior to putting in the new vavle body, I was experiencing very, very hard shift and slams into gear. I have since put on approximately 1200 miles since the installation, and I am happy to report the car is performing flawlessly.

Thanks again, chernmax, for everything.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 AM

Good to hear that the car's back to newer ways.
Chernmax, was that VB OEM (Nissan) or Level10?

Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX