6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by edjose17
blacksaleen95
please do not forget us who are waiting for your writeup on how to do this fix.

I left my digital cam at the shop with the pics, I'll have it tonight and likely finish the writeup late tonight or tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by MIKERNM1990
what name a transmission for 05 Maxima 3.5 SL with Variable Dynamic Control? RE5F22A? or AW55-50?
Both numbers are for the exact same transmission:

Nissan uses RE5F22A
Volvo uses AW55-50SN
Old 07-11-2010, 03:40 PM

People with code P0744 please do me a huge favor!

If you get code P0744, please pull over and go to the fusebox behind the passenger headlight and remove the ABS fuse and restart the car and drive it to see if the (sticking in 4th gear) problem goes away. Like i've said in a few posts.....my P0744 problem ONLY happens when the ABS fuse is in place. If i remove the ABS fuse the trans will shift fine ALL DAY. Thanks very much.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by used parts
If you get code P0744, please pull over and go to the fusebox behind the passenger headlight and remove the ABS fuse and restart the car and drive it to see if the (sticking in 4th gear) problem goes away. Like i've said in a few posts.....my P0744 problem ONLY happens when the ABS fuse is in place. If i remove the ABS fuse the trans will shift fine ALL DAY. Thanks very much.
What should you do if it says stuck in fifth gear?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mdollazs05
What should you do if it says stuck in fifth gear?

That happened with my parents car, I believe they'd have to pull over, shut the car off, and restart...

Sorry I've been dragging on getting the write up done, extra time is a premium these days..

Here are some vids of the solenoid prior and after fixing them with the transgo kit to hold you guys over

Before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S910YpaVuj0

After
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8US4FqhmHJo

Last edited by blacksaleen95; 07-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have the exact same problem as you guys have mentioned. can someone please help me if you know someone in new jersey (north jersey) and will install the transgo shift kit because most mechanics refuse to install a kit because they dont want to take a risk of ruining the tranny. i would highly appreciate if someone could help me out.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

also, my rear motor mount is bad also, is it possible to install the shift kit and fix the motor mounts later on as i am extremely low on cash? will not fixing the motor mounts have a great impact on the vehicle?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys,

I stumbled on this website when I was trying to find a solution to the same problem. I found these guys out in Canada called valve Body Rebuilders. They sell remanufactured valave bodies and install Sonnax parts into them. Check out there website: http://www.valvebodybuilders.com/nis...aw55_50sn.html

They sell for $695, I live pretty close by so I'm gonna have them install it for an extra $108. I should be doing it within 2 weeks... I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have rebuilt the tranny in my 04 maxima....install transgo shift kit.......still.......the problem went back to jerking and slipping......transgo shift kit did not work for me.......i dunno what will i do with this hunk of junk......this is my first and last nissan.....i wanna buy a used tranny but i'm afraid of the risk because the tranny have issues....no on can solve this problem......
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM

Need help bad. So i have an 04 5sp auto. I had to replace the engine blew a hole from the rod so im told, that was a pain getting fixed i had trouble with the timing chain so i think it was related. anyways engine works now but transmission is gone, it goes reverse sometimes and forward sometimes but it looks like it only does it really slow with high revs.

any suggestions on what i can do, really tired of having to fix this i don't understand whats going on because before i had an issue but i changed the valve body a year ago and it was fine with minor hard shifts here and there but now its totally messed up after the engine went out and the car was sitting there

not sure if the mechanic could have screwed something up or do you htink it might be a transmission sensor?

What i need i guess is to figure out what to do, if my tranny is bad should i get rebuild it costs about 2200 with 3 year warranty or get a used which are like 1400 plus labor. any suggestions on a certain rebuild kit? thanks alot!

***would this rebuild shift kit fix the issue? thanks!****
Old 07-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission Problems

Just wanted to share my tranny problem.

2004 Max SL / 87k

1. Park to Drive has a delay. Never seems to engage. Problem comes at random times. I have to turn off the car and turn it back on. This happens when the engine is hot or cold.

2. Car shifts from 5th to 4th. This is rare, but does happen from time to time. I have to slow down and then speed back up.

My cost so far is:

Transgo kit: 116.25 on ebay plus 6 dollars shipping. Total 122.25
Valve body gasket: 30.57 on WITTrans plus 15.00 shipping: Total 45.57
5 quarts of Matic-k was 10.58 each plus tax

I am located in the Dallas, Texas area and still shopping around for a mechanic. Once I find a reliable cheap one, I will share.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by zeeyo987
Need help bad. So i have an 04 5sp auto. I had to replace the engine blew a hole from the rod so im told, that was a pain getting fixed i had trouble with the timing chain so i think it was related. anyways engine works now but transmission is gone, it goes reverse sometimes and forward sometimes but it looks like it only does it really slow with high revs.

any suggestions on what i can do, really tired of having to fix this i don't understand whats going on because before i had an issue but i changed the valve body a year ago and it was fine with minor hard shifts here and there but now its totally messed up after the engine went out and the car was sitting there

not sure if the mechanic could have screwed something up or do you htink it might be a transmission sensor?

What i need i guess is to figure out what to do, if my tranny is bad should i get rebuild it costs about 2200 with 3 year warranty or get a used which are like 1400 plus labor. any suggestions on a certain rebuild kit? thanks alot!

***would this rebuild shift kit fix the issue? thanks!****
if it has high revs then shifts. Might be a Camshaft Position Sensor issue. If the engine was replaced, then they might have messed up the sensor or put a bad one in.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

FINALLY!!!!

Hey guys,

I posted a couple weeks back with the same issue. I had rough shifts and a delay in reverse to drive.

After a long search I finally had the problem solved. I went to this place called Valve Body Builders (www.valvebodybuilders.com) and bought a valve body for $695. They are not Nissan replacements, but totally remanufacutred ones using Sonnax parts. Anyways, they ship all over, I was close enough that I had it installed for another $200. So basically I spent almost $1000 but I've since driven the car about 500km and I'm happy to report I haven't had a single problem what so ever. The car is shifting like it's brand new, and I love driving my car again.

The best part too is that I have a 12 month unlimitted KM warranty on the car. So I suggest everyone that can afford it to go with this option, it might cost a few hundred more than installing the kit, but the kit won't solve worn bore issues in the valve body. This is your best bet!.

PS> F**K Nissan for not doing something about this problem.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A problem with tranny (Urgent)

Hi,
I am just quite new in this website. I am not in USA living in Australia.

Recently, I bought Maxima 04 and I had a problem. When the car is cold, everything is alright and shifting good. once I drive it 15 mins, I hear a sound likes driving with higher gear but lower speed. When I press accelerator, it`s gone. my car got 175000K on it and no idea about its previous history.
I am so sad of this car. I know the cost of changing the tranny or timing chain will kill me. I just drove it today an I saw when it`s changing the gear, the rpm in not going more than 2000. I was wondering it is normal or not?even when I push the accelerator, speed reaches 80 but rpm no more than 2000.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mohandes79
Hi,
I am just quite new in this website. I am not in USA living in Australia.

Recently, I bought Maxima 04 and I had a problem. When the car is cold, everything is alright and shifting good. once I drive it 15 mins, I hear a sound likes driving with higher gear but lower speed. When I press accelerator, it`s gone. my car got 175000K on it and no idea about its previous history.
I am so sad of this car. I know the cost of changing the tranny or timing chain will kill me. I just drove it today an I saw when it`s changing the gear, the rpm in not going more than 2000. I was wondering it is normal or not?even when I push the accelerator, speed reaches 80 but rpm no more than 2000.

Thanks
Post a sound clip and would be better to have a video clip of the speedometer and rpm gauge. hard to diagnose a sound without hearing it. might not be transmission or timing chain, need clip to help.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great info on this thread. 04 Max. I had the same problems with the hard downshift 3 to 2 and others after the trans got hot. Did the transgo shift kit, gaskets, & matic k fluid a couple weeks ago. It solved the problem. Seems the pintle inside the solenoids starts to stick when heated because of wear & possibly dirt that has accumulated. They grind off the caps, clean them out & install the rest of the kit. If you live in South FL, I went to ATF trans in Davie. These guys do a lot of shift kits for performance cars, but had just done a max the week before mine, & said it fixed his problem also.
Cost: Transgo kit #T89165c $80 from transtar
Valve body gasket #89320K $15 transtar
matic k $10.84 each at nissan $70
Labor $ 300
Total about $500
Nissan knows about the problem, said they would put a new valve body on for $1500. what a joke
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by max44
Great info on this thread. 04 Max. I had the same problems with the hard downshift 3 to 2 and others after the trans got hot. Did the transgo shift kit, gaskets, & matic k fluid a couple weeks ago. It solved the problem. Seems the pintle inside the solenoids starts to stick when heated because of wear & possibly dirt that has accumulated. They grind off the caps, clean them out & install the rest of the kit. If you live in South FL, I went to ATF trans in Davie. These guys do a lot of shift kits for performance cars, but had just done a max the week before mine, & said it fixed his problem also.
matic k $10.84 each at nissan $70
Labor $ 300
Total about $500
Nissan knows about the problem, said they would put a new valve body on for $1500. what a joke

Where did you order the Valve Body Gasket #89320K from transtar alone at? Website?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

got the valve body gasket at my local transtar, if you don't have a local, you could probably order it by calling & getting it shipped. part #89320k
I paid $12 plus tax
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM

got the valve body gasket at my local transtar, if you don't have a local, you could probably order it by calling & getting it shipped. part #89320k
I paid $12 plus tax

No local transtar here, got a number? I'll do the rest thanks...
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

go to transtar industries website for locations.
My location is in ft laud 954-917-7500
if you are in Maryland I saw this one
Beltsville, Maryland

6405 Ammendale Road
Beltsville, MD 20705

Phone: 301-931-2496
Fax: 301-931-7011
Toll Free: 800-878-4249
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

FML.

Does anyone need to buy a kit and gasket, I jumped the gun and bought the kit and gasket just to find out i have the RE4F04A transmission. So if you have the 04 SL, you need to get a completely different kit and gasket set. I just assumed that since I had all the same problems, my tranny was the same.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone have any details about where i can find the label on the tranny to find out what exact model it is. I called the dealerships and they told me its a RE4F04A, but i just want to look for myself and confirm it.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by xdotdotx
Does anyone have any details about where i can find the label on the tranny to find out what exact model it is. I called the dealerships and they told me its a RE4F04A, but i just want to look for myself and confirm it.
RE4F04A is the correct number if you have an 04SL with a 4 spd auto, later model 04SL and all 04SE came with the RE5F22A. The dealership can normally tell you what you have by running your VIN#
Old 08-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

First would like to say this site rocks!!
04SL with 83k, trans is acting up when it gets warmed up. Has anyone in the chicagoland area gotten the kit installed and where?
I have gone to a few places and they all want to re-build the valve body, one guy told me flashing the ecu would solve my problem, nissan wouldn't flash the ecu.

thanks guys, I really miss driving my car!!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 AM

HELP!!

I have the 5a/t just like everyone else and have had problems for a while now and was told that I needed a new transmission. It started with just a 3-2 downshift and has progressed into an upshift slip as well. It's been going on for months and I just found out about this kit. Because of the extent of the damage to mine, I'm not sure if this kit will do the trick... Any Suggestions. BTW when the car is cold it drives perfect, starts to happen after maybe 20-30 min so that's what is making me think the kit might be ok. Also any instructions on how to do this from start to finish. I'm pretty handy, but have never ripped apart a trans and valve body before so I'm not sure if I want to attempt this myself or just pay a professional. Has anyone done this by themselves without a lift?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM

HELP!!

I have the 5a/t just like everyone else and have had problems for a while now and was told that I needed a new transmission. It started with just a 3-2 downshift and has progressed into an upshift slip as well. It's been going on for months and I just found out about this kit. Because of the extent of the damage to mine, I'm not sure if this kit will do the trick... Any Suggestions. BTW when the car is cold it drives perfect, starts to happen after maybe 20-30 min so that's what is making me think the kit might be ok. Also any instructions on how to do this from start to finish. I'm pretty handy, but have never ripped apart a trans and valve body before so I'm not sure if I want to attempt this myself or just pay a professional. Has anyone done this by themselves without a lift? I also tried purchasing a trans oil cooler as a cheap quick fix to find that they are incompatible with our cars due to the heat sink type cooler that already exists. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would try the kit before buying a trans for $3500. I had the same problems with the hard downshift 3 to 2 and others after the trans got hot. It's in the valve body. I did the transgo shift kit, gaskets, & matic k fluid a few weeks ago. It solved the problem. Seems the pintle inside the solenoids starts to stick when heated because of teflon, wear & possibly dirt that has accumulated. Find a trans repair shop that will only install the kit, I found a high performance trans shop that did shift kits. They grind off the caps, clean them out & install the rest of the kit.
Matic k $10.84 each at Nissan $70
Labor $ 300

If I have problems down the line I may try the remanufactured valve body from Valve Body Builders, they use different internals instead of stock
http://www.valvebodybuilders.com/nis...aw55_50sn.html
Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would try the kit before buying a trans for $3500. I had the same problems with the hard downshift 3 to 2 and others after the trans got hot. It's in the valve body. I did the transgo shift kit, gaskets, & matic k fluid a few weeks ago. It solved the problem. Seems the pintle inside the solenoids starts to stick when heated because of teflon, wear & possibly dirt that has accumulated. Find a trans repair shop that will only install the kit, I found a high performance trans shop that did shift kits. They grind off the caps, clean them out & install the rest of the kit.
Matic k $10.84 each at Nissan $70
Labor $ 300

If I have problems down the line I may try the remanufactured valve body from Valve Body Builders, they use different internals instead of stock
http://www.valvebodybuilders.com/nis...aw55_50sn.html

If you can afford it that valve body from valve body builders is the way to go. The problem you get with just installing the kit is that it doesn't really correct the problem of the ****ty valave body, it sort of just works around it. With the poorly engineerd parts inside of the valve body you may already have worn out bores and god knows what else. I say if you're willing to spend $6-700 to install the transgo why not wait and spend $1000 on getting that fresh valve body. I'm almost a month into mine and about 1200kms and hasn't jerked on me once. I drive it every day and I couldn't be happier.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:44 AM

You think a valve body assembly is a lot easier to install yourself than the shift kit since the valve body is basically assembled already, all you have to to is unbolt the old and bolt in the new... If I go that route, I might just attempt it myself as I wouldn't have with the shift kit so in the end it could be the same cost. Any suggestions on difficulty?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well cost wise, that valve body builders upgraded maxima valve body was $695. I had it installed with only 2 hours of labour, the guy I used charged 100/hr but you may find a better rate elsewhere.
If you want to install it yourself I'm sure you could find out how online, I think I saw a youtube video that showed this. It would definitely be easier than installing the transgo since you're just swapping parts.

The valve body comes with a 1 year warranty as well, so if you got it and installed it yourself make sure you check to see if that would void the warranty.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 PM

I would have it professionally installed just for warranty purposes. If you are not 100% confident in doing the job get help or have someone who is do it. one mess up could cost a lot in the end.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM

good info on this thread! i just got the transgo kit. anyone in the NYC area know a good shop so i could have it installed. i've spent hours reading this thread and seems nissan did a bad job on the 04-07 tranny!..lol bump+ for (p08pimp) and (chern) u guys know your stuff!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chernmax
IMO I would buy the Transgo Kit, have the valve body rebuilt which is way less costly, does not require the transmission to be dropped and even if it does not totally fix it you would have already completed something that had to be done anyway. Not to mention buy your transmission some more time.

Last, maybe it's just me but I would steer clear of AMMCO places. In my opinion they are the Jiffy Lube of transmisson repair...
Chern,
As an ex- almost mgr of a Jiffy Lube... YOU ARE CORRECT!! both Aamco and JL are a bunch of talenless hacks. I'm still reading you all the posts for this 5sp auto trans fix. Here's a pre-thanks!!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mmercedeez
Sorry everyone!!! I never posted what happened...

It worked out great. I had the Transgo shift kit installed, new filter + fluid and the VB gasket. My maxima is now shifting very smooth and the tranny problem has now been resolved. I think it even improved acceleration!

Now it's time to tackle the noisy freakin timing chain
mmercedeez. i was on the mass pike doing 60 on the 11 exit when my 04 max shut off. took it to a local guy in northboro and ron bouchards stealership in fitchburg/lunenburg. Camshaft Positioning Sensors were replaced by the local guy and it costed me $1800 at the dealership for the timing chain issue. Stealership broke my a/c compressor and i convinced them to own up to the mistake. CPS is a great place to start. I heard they go for $40 a piece.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an appt to get the Transgo Kit installed tomorrow. I am getting it done at a Reputable Aamco recommended to me by friends for $507 and change including parts. Aamcos are franchises, there are 3 in town and only 1 of them is worth going to. The Master Tech at the Valley View Aamco is considered to be the best around here.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I'm going to install a rebuilt valve body from Valve Body Builders.My car has 98094 on it.I will keep you guys and girls posted on my progress.And yes,I am doing it myself.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:32 PM

i live in the nyc area and i went to my friends shop where he does mostly nissans. its called JMR garage and its located @ 214 N fehr Way Bayshore, NY 11706. its by the L.I.E here's the number 631-940-3638, give them a call. i just took my car in today so it should be ready by tomorrow, i will keep you updated.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Went to pick my Max up today, I turned it on and tried to drive out the shop parking lot and it wouldn't get out of 5th gear. I refused to take it working worse than when I brought it in. They said that the master tech would call me on monday morning to discuss. I will keep you all updated.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First off I want to say that I have had symptoms of a bad transmission for about 10 months, which really got bad this past month. I had purchased the transgo kit awhile back just searching for someone to install it. Well, this has been a week after the install and I have a huge smile on my face. I drove the car to and from work for a week, about 200 miles, and not a problem. Then this past weekend I did a 250 mile round tripper and had absolutely no problems. Running like a champ. Many have said it before, get this done now.

I have 118000 miles on my car when I took it in. If you are in the Bay Area, CA. Go to Schucks transmission, in dublin. Real good guys there. Quoted me 3 hours labor, which he said took 5 hours cuz he said he hasnt done one in a long time, but stuck to his word and charged just for 3 hours.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Total came to $365

Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX