6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Squeaking from front end...please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Squeaking from front end...please help

A few weeks ago I put new wheels on the 05 max. 22's to be specific (and please dont comment on those I know most of you guys on here dont do big wheels) this car is for show more than for go. I started hearing a slight squeaking noise when i go over small bumps in the front end. I know its not the sound of tire rubbing it sounds like its coming from the springs. Has anyone else had this problem? It wouldnt really make any sense to me if it was because the aftermarket wheels are alot larger/heavier or could it be? Thanks in advance
Old 09-01-2009, 04:57 PM

post wheel size and offset with tire size for more help
Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 PM

235/30/22 offset +38 ....and i'm positive nothing rubs
Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 AM

If it was not there before a simple wheel and tire change and it is now, i tend to make it a simple conclusion that it is coming fromt the new change. The sizes and offset are fine for your setup. Nothing else done?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi,

i have a 2005 se with only 61 000km on it and i`m having a little problem with the sunroof. whenever i`m driving on the highway with the sunroof open i hear a ping sound. when i close the sunroof i don`t hear it anymore. i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they may have fixed it.

thanks and good driving
Old 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM

I had the exact same problem. the front end would squeak over small bumps, like railroad tracks and gate tracks. . .. brought it into the dealer to get my tranny fixed .. .they said both front struts were bad. . .just fyi, might be the same for you.

btw, i JUST replaced my front passenger strut a year ago .. . .
Old 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by redrave
hi,

i have a 2005 se with only 61 000km on it and i`m having a little problem with the sunroof. whenever i`m driving on the highway with the sunroof open i hear a ping sound. when i close the sunroof i don`t hear it anymore. i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they may have fixed it.

thanks and good driving
No thread jacking!!!! i recommend start your own thread!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by wickedmax13
A few weeks ago I put new wheels on the 05 max. 22's to be specific (and please dont comment on those I know most of you guys on here dont do big wheels) this car is for show more than for go. I started hearing a slight squeaking noise when i go over small bumps in the front end. I know its not the sound of tire rubbing it sounds like its coming from the springs. Has anyone else had this problem? It wouldnt really make any sense to me if it was because the aftermarket wheels are alot larger/heavier or could it be? Thanks in advance

It maybe your top mount.... i had noise issues with mine a few months ago. But Im lowered.... i replace the top mount and rubber mount on my strut and noise went away.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by redrave
hi,

thanks and good driving
Now if that wasn't a beautiful jack !
Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 AM

What was the word on this? I was squeaking really bad... replaced my front struts, and the squeaking is still there... just not as bad before...

Not to mention the clunking whenever pulling in and out of my driveway from the front driver's side as well... or over bigger bumps, etc...
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 PM

My top strut mount on the driver's side was totally fubar. The rubber was eaten away exposing the metal bearing inside. Replaced it, and all my noise is gone.

Might want to get your strut mounts checked out. It's the visible part from inside the hood with the 3 bolts around it, and the bigger bolt in the center... the black metal piece. Underneath that is a metal ring piece surrounded by rubber. I bet you it's all eaten to shreds, giving you the noise.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM

It is with great pain that I am bumping this thread. I just replaced all kyb struts and shocks not even a year ago. Also replaced strut mount as well as struts boots...
now it is squeeshing really badly on both front and rear left hand side. I notice it the worst when I make this one turn before my house that has uneven surface RIGHT at the turn.
Sounds like an old rusted squeeck....

How do I check strut mount? I can't believe this is doing this after a few months. Roads here are not not bad at all (rural texas)

The last time I tried to diagnose the problem, I ended up paying alot of money because I kept replacing part after part and the labor became freaking huge.

What can I do this time to try to avoid that?

BTW< what other part is in thehousing? Is it only the strut mount or could it be the bearings as well? Stupid question, but are those two different parts?

I am completely stock wheels, (18 inch SE and riding on KYB GR2s)
Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM

Pop your hood, and watch the bolt sticking up from the strut to see if it moves around while you turn your wheel back and forth.

If there's a lot of movement, then the rubber around the metal mount is shot.

This is what happened to me. It's a $24 part, that includes the metal plate, and the rubber/metal mount that fits inside it.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:22 PM

Can anyone on here give me the KYB part number for the strut mount assembly for 06 Max?

Is it s sm5409?

I just looked at my work order done at the pep boys and then the dealership when I initially had this ordeal 9 months ago. (Jan 09)

I replaced all front struts and rear shocks and 1 strut mount KYB on front right. Not really sure why i didnt do both mounts, I think the guy who initially gave me the diagnosis said only front right was shot.

Then dealer replaced all strut boots and one front left strut mount (OE).

Now I hear the noise on the front left.

Can we just assume that the OE strut assembly for this car is basically a p.o.s? I mean it was bran new and only after 9 months it would be bad??
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 PM

OEM is most likely crap. It is Nissan after all. KYB isn't much better. Moog has stronger parts. I'm pretty sure they make these parts too... good thing you have the pic with that small plastic ring, as mine was all torn up as well.

Looks like you have the right part number too. There shouldn't be any difference between 2004-2008 models.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
OEM is most likely crap. It is Nissan after all. KYB isn't much better. Moog has stronger parts. I'm pretty sure they make these parts too... good thing you have the pic with that small plastic ring, as mine was all torn up as well.

Looks like you have the right part number too. There shouldn't be any difference between 2004-2008 models.
So is it not wise to have two different mounts? like one side kyb and one side another?

I couldn't find any moog mount for the 2006 nissan maxima.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by hmr1979
So is it not wise to have two different mounts? like one side kyb and one side another?

I couldn't find any moog mount for the 2006 nissan maxima.
I think you'd be fine, really. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 PM

How about Monroe struts?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 PM

Ladies and gentlemen...plz tell me something:

If I change my strut mount to a bran new one, Strut is not bad, strut boots are new as well,,,what in the f**** can still make a squeeking noise from the front left side.

My initial thought is the spring itself, like in between the bottom of the spring and the plate that holds it on the strut assembly...

can i put something in there to stop the squeek? Like a lube or something?

Or what else could it be? I know squeeks are really hard to nail down but this is really driving me crazy. Spent some money and still not resolved.

When It's cold, it's horrrrrible, when it's hot, it's almost non-existent. But in the mornings, it is bad/.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Ladies and gentlemen...plz tell me something:

If I change my strut mount to a bran new one, Strut is not bad, strut boots are new as well,,,what in the f**** can still make a squeeking noise from the front left side.

My initial thought is the spring itself, like in between the bottom of the spring and the plate that holds it on the strut assembly...

can i put something in there to stop the squeek? Like a lube or something?

Or what else could it be? I know squeeks are really hard to nail down but this is really driving me crazy. Spent some money and still not resolved.

When It's cold, it's horrrrrible, when it's hot, it's almost non-existent. But in the mornings, it is bad/.
Which strut mount did you change to. Did you change the bearing too? Make sure the hat is placed on the chasis in the correct orientation ("out" facing out). Torque specs must be followed on the strut shaft nut and the strut plate bolts, pretty small like 35 ft/lbs
Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
Which strut mount did you change to. Did you change the bearing too? Make sure the hat is placed on the chasis in the correct orientation ("out" facing out). Torque specs must be followed on the strut shaft nut and the strut plate bolts, pretty small like 35 ft/lbs
Now everything is KYB
struts
shocks
strut mounts

I didn't install it so I can't confirm on the torque specs.

when it's cold outside, its there...always, when it's hot (2 pm during the day) it's never there...almost never.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Check your strut dust boots. It's probably making the squeak when it compresses causing it to touch the bottom plate of the strut. If it is, get Permatex ultra disc caliper lube. It's a green grease. Item #24110. Autozone has it. Apply some to the bottom-inside of the boot. Not a lot though. And to everyone else that has that clunking noise at the front. What was it?, the dust boots!! the top part which goes into the top mount somehow SHRUNK causing the dust boot+strut pole to move around. The solution? i applied some duct tape (cut to less than an inch width) around the base (the side) and it went away. You can do this little operation with the car down. If you REPLACED EVERYTHING suspension related i suggest you take a look at the dust boots. Mines has starting making the noise again due to the tape drying up so i gotta get some new boots.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 PM

My clunking (front driver's side) was from a bad upper strut mount bearing. The rubber was all eaten up, exposing the metal bearing.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 AM

Now everything is KYB
struts
shocks
strut mounts

I didn't install it so I can't confirm on the torque specs.

when it's cold outside, its there...always, when it's hot (2 pm during the day) it's never there...almost never.
sorry to tell you this but KYB strut mounts are as good as a donkey's dcik. Its your bearing as they are pretty much worthless before putting them in. Im changing mine out in a couple of weeks. Not KYB. On a further note I will never use rockauto again due to them not honoring my warranty.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM

sorry to tell you this but KYB strut mounts are as good as a donkey's dcik. Its your bearing as they are pretty much worthless before putting them in. Im changing mine out in a couple of weeks. Not KYB. On a further note I will never use rockauto again due to them not honoring my warranty.
bearing in the mount? those come with the strut mount kit always.

Or do you mean bearing somewhere

In the meanwhile i'll try Muyrec's idea.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:41 PM

ok guys, sorry to post a newb question, wasnt sure were else too look and for some reason i cant post a new thread

but i have an 04 maxima and the steering radius is horrible,and the steerign wheel shakes over 80, im thinking my struts are bad dont know what else it could be, but any ideas, btw i found these struts online and was thinking of getting them to replace they seemed like a good deal

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ut+Assembly%29 they have both the driver and passenger side, i guess i would probably need to buy the boots and the mounts too, thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by zeeyo987
ok guys, sorry to post a newb question, wasnt sure were else too look and for some reason i cant post a new thread

but i have an 04 maxima and the steering radius is horrible,and the steerign wheel shakes over 80, im thinking my struts are bad dont know what else it could be, but any ideas, btw i found these struts online and was thinking of getting them to replace they seemed like a good deal

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ut+Assembly%29 they have both the driver and passenger side, i guess i would probably need to buy the boots and the mounts too, thanks!
May have to have 15 posts before you can start a new thread..maybe im not sure of the rules.

and 2. these cars are known for shimmy action in your steering wheel, but I will tell you this, it can be b/c of a number of few things.

- Your rotors could be warped a bit - but i guess if you brake and the shimmy is not there, than I would say your rotors might be still lined up.

- Balancing issue - when did you have your wheels balance and aligned last?

- Not really sure what you meant by turning radius is horrible? if you mean the car doesn't turn much even when pulled all the way from one side to the other....well that won't be fixable. these car do not have good turning radius at all...it sucks.

- And also a member on here found that the stock rims were what caused his shimmy, he did everything but as soon as he changed rims, his steering wheel was nice, stiff, and shimmyless.
- There are quite a few replacement stuff for our suspension. Some members on here say KYB is donkey *****, but I have tried other comparable struts on my other 06 vehicles and I prefer KYB because of the slightly more stiffer feel...not to mention a darn good warranty. Oh yeah, price is not bad at all too.

sensatrac and the likes..thats what I have on my 06 Sonata, but I prefer my GR2s on my Max by a large margin.
It's a matter of what you want your car to feel like.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 AM

bearing in the mount? those come with the strut mount kit always.

Or do you mean bearing somewhere

In the meanwhile i'll try Muyrec's idea.
the little plastic piece that came, yes...those break

May have to have 15 posts before you can start a new thread..maybe im not sure of the rules.

and 2. these cars are known for shimmy action in your steering wheel, but I will tell you this, it can be b/c of a number of few things.

- Your rotors could be warped a bit - but i guess if you brake and the shimmy is not there, than I would say your rotors might be still lined up.

- Balancing issue - when did you have your wheels balance and aligned last?

- Not really sure what you meant by turning radius is horrible? if you mean the car doesn't turn much even when pulled all the way from one side to the other....well that won't be fixable. these car do not have good turning radius at all...it sucks.

- And also a member on here found that the stock rims were what caused his shimmy, he did everything but as soon as he changed rims, his steering wheel was nice, stiff, and shimmyless.
- There are quite a few replacement stuff for our suspension. Some members on here say KYB is donkey *****, but I have tried other comparable struts on my other 06 vehicles and I prefer KYB because of the slightly more stiffer feel...not to mention a darn good warranty. Oh yeah, price is not bad at all too.

sensatrac and the likes..thats what I have on my 06 Sonata, but I prefer my GR2s on my Max by a large margin.
It's a matter of what you want your car to feel like.
KYB struts good, mounts bad
Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 AM

the little plastic piece that came, yes...those break

KYB struts good, mounts bad
1. But I just bought the mount bran new.

2. My oem strut mount have now been replaced twice. Only this third time I went with KYB. The squeaking was there when I had the original mount and after I put in the KYB one..this leads me to believe that it is not the mount that's the culprit.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 AM

I too have the same problem. I just started noticing it a few weeks back when it started to get cold. Usually hear it in the front when turning into a driveway, or over a dip/bump in the road. I took the engine plastic off of the top strut mounts and the rubber doesn't appear to be worn out or defective, not sure what is causing it, but it is pretty annoying.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by papasuede
I too have the same problem. I just started noticing it a few weeks back when it started to get cold. Usually hear it in the front when turning into a driveway, or over a dip/bump in the road. I took the engine plastic off of the top strut mounts and the rubber doesn't appear to be worn out or defective, not sure what is causing it, but it is pretty annoying.
Today was the coldest day we have hard this year after a brutal summer. It was probably in the 50s this morning.
I took her out for a run and went over many dips and bumps and now it doesn't seem to do it, and I haven't done anything to the car....this car is just weird I swear.

But I am going to take off the wheel and check out my strut boots for a better look...my boots are not even 10 months old and they look like new, but who knows.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM

1. thanks guys, when i mean turning radius is yea when i turn the wheel all the way to either right or left the car isnt able to turn a whole lot, but my friends 06 max is much better.

2. and ill def take a look at the rotors cuz when i brake theres shaking so maybe thats the reason why its doing that at high speeds? im gonna have the struts checked out by a mechanic cuz i dont really know what to look for and kyb sounds good from what you guys have said.

3. oh and i know this is off topic but any idea what to do with my taillight, the bulbs are fine but the left side dosent light up when i brake, thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 PM

I know this is a known problem and a sore subject for most but I wanted to see if anyone has actually fixed the issue of a squeaking front suspension.

There are tons of threads and most suggest the Strut Dust Boot or the Front Strut Tower Mounts, but mine sounds like it is coming from below the front bumper. I pulled off the plastic cover under the bumper and noticed on both the left and the right that there is some rust around the front suspension member and the (rubber stopper insulator, rebound) as shown in this picture.

Has anyone who has done suspension work or replaced their motor mounts ever touched this stopper? Does anyone know anything about this part?

Last edited by papasuede; 12-01-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
It maybe your top mount.... i had noise issues with mine a few months ago. But Im lowered.... i replace the top mount and rubber mount on my strut and noise went away.
This. The rubber around the metal in the top mount deteriorates, and that exposed metal is causing the squeaking.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ReficuLiu
I had the exact same problem. the front end would squeak over small bumps, like railroad tracks and gate tracks. . .. brought it into the dealer to get my tranny fixed .. .they said both front struts were bad. . .just fyi, might be the same for you.

btw, i JUST replaced my front passenger strut a year ago .. . .
same here