6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anyone replaced their AC compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 PM

Anyone replaced their AC compressor?

My AC clutch has gone bad....every time I start the car the belt squeals like something fierce. I was going to buy a new compressor and swap it out next weekend....just curious if anyone else had experienced this.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rich96
My AC clutch has gone bad....every time I start the car the belt squeals like something fierce. I was going to buy a new compressor and swap it out next weekend....just curious if anyone else had experienced this.
Are you asking if people have had this sound before? or if they have replaced the unit by themselves?

I've removed the a/c compressor before. It wasn't hard to do.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Agree, it's a pretty easy part to replace and yes it does make a squeal type of noise
Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Mine squeals like crazy once I turn on the AC, but goes out once I accelerate.

How much is a new compressor? Do I have to replace the 'freon' after changing it?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by krazy6
Are you asking if people have had this sound before? or if they have replaced the unit by themselves?

I've removed the a/c compressor before. It wasn't hard to do.

Sorry, should have been more clear with my question.

Is this something others have experienced? A similar sound that was cured by replacing the AC compressor? If so, how many miles did you have on your car at that time?

Originally Posted by SuperMario
Mine squeals like crazy once I turn on the AC, but goes out once I accelerate.

How much is a new compressor? Do I have to replace the 'freon' after changing it?
I haven't had a chance to check the wholesale price, but the retail from the parts stores are about $350. I think the one place I found that stocked them (either Autozone, Advance, or Oreillys) only had a 90 day warranty on them. I need to check my wholesale price through a friend, but if its over $200 I'm going to pick up a used one at a local salvage yard for $100. I hate to spend that much money on something with virtually no warranty.

When you turn off your AC does the noise go away immediately?

Yes, you do have to have your system vac'd and recharged afterwards.

I obviously haven't done a compressor on a Maxima yet, but I did one on my 944 and it was very straight forward. An important lesson I learned the hard way was to make sure you had the proper amount of oil in the compressor prior to replacing it.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had mine replaced this summer by a repair shop. Cost me $1200.00 and had to take it back twice. But all is working fine now.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by gawoods
Had mine replaced this summer by a repair shop. Cost me $1200.00 and had to take it back twice. But all is working fine now.
What were your symptoms prior to replacement? How many miles did your car have on it?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 AM

I think that the ac compressor is going out in my 04 max. I took it to a shop and they told me that a new compressor is $425. Then they said that i would also need a new dryer, system recharge and $1000 for the whole deal. I told him that I found used ac compressors for around $150 online and he said that they would not install a used one for some reason. I dont get it? If it is just a matter of taking the old one off and putting a new one on then i can handle it myself. Does anyone know all the details of replacing one of these things?
Thanks,
Jay
Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jay3250
I think that the ac compressor is going out in my 04 max. I took it to a shop and they told me that a new compressor is $425. Then they said that i would also need a new dryer, system recharge and $1000 for the whole deal. I told him that I found used ac compressors for around $150 online and he said that they would not install a used one for some reason. I dont get it? If it is just a matter of taking the old one off and putting a new one on then i can handle it myself. Does anyone know all the details of replacing one of these things?
Thanks,
Jay
On my 944 it was pretty simple. Pulled the old one and replaced it with the new one. Not a lot involved....a few bolts held it on, plus the freon line going into it.

After I put the new compressor on I did need to recharge it. Had a friend who had an evacuator and a set of guages.....took less than an hour to recharge it, and that included the 45 minutes to evac it.

I don't know if it needs a new drier or not. I replaced the drier on my 944, but I was converting from R12 to R134.

Long story short - I would think you could just replace the compressor and then take it somewhere to be recharged. Not positive though....which is why I'm here asking for advice!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanks,
Jay
Shop will not install your own compressor, be it used or new part, because they can't make any money off you selling you the part. This is especially common for big popular chain shops where sales can be $5000 per day even if you walk out of that door bying nothing. Traffic is already establsihed and they do not value the fact that you walked through that door.
If you are really desperate though, find a mom-and-pops local facility, where customer traffic is not so high and they may be more than happy to close the sale for you even if you bring own part.
Some other so called crytical components, such brake sytem parts, steering, anything that you can bring a lawsuit with against the shop, are out of question for obvious reasons. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM

The car is in the shop now for a diagnosis tom. If it is in fact the compressor would it work to just have them discharge the system? Then I go get a used one, change the oil in the thing, install on my car then just take to local ac shop and tell them i need to have my system cleaned charged. I guess maybe this scenario is only possible if there is only external damage to the compressor not internal.... I think? Does anyone know if this will work or not?

Originally Posted by acercomp71
Shop will not install your own compressor, be it used or new part, because they can't make any money off you selling you the part. This is especially common for big popular chain shops where sales can be $5000 per day even if you walk out of that door bying nothing. Traffic is already establsihed and they do not value the fact that you walked through that door.
If you are really desperate though, find a mom-and-pops local facility, where customer traffic is not so high and they may be more than happy to close the sale for you even if you bring own part.
Some other so called crytical components, such brake sytem parts, steering, anything that you can bring a lawsuit with against the shop, are out of question for obvious reasons. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM

The car is in the shop now for a diagnosis tom. If it is in fact the compressor would it work to just have them discharge the system? Then I go get a used one, change the oil in the thing, install on my car then just take to local ac shop and tell them i need to have my system cleaned charged. I guess maybe this scenario is only possible if there is only external damage to the compressor not internal.... I think? Does anyone know if this will work or not?
Makes sense to me. If you don't care about the enviornment don't pay to have them discharge the system. It will discharge itself when you pull the old compressor. Thats assuming you don't care about your great grand kids.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Makes sense to me. If you don't care about the enviornment don't pay to have them discharge the system. It will discharge itself when you pull the old compressor. Thats assuming you don't care about your great grand kids.

No no no, I said that If they tell me that the compressor was failing externally(bearing, clutch) that my plan was to have them discharge the system for me. Once it's discharged I will remove compressor and replace with new one. Then try and find a shop to clean and charge the system. Not just release it into the atmosphere.All I was wondering is if anyone else has been down this road? Must not have been too clear on that last post.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:30 PM

No no no, I said that If they tell me that the compressor was failing externally(bearing, clutch) that my plan was to have them discharge the system for me. Once it's discharged I will remove compressor and replace with new one. Then try and find a shop to clean and charge the system. Not just release it into the atmosphere.All I was wondering is if anyone else has been down this road? Must not have been too clear on that last post.
I was joking about the discharge. But to answer your question, I believe you could proceed as planned. As I posted before, thats what I did with my 944.....don't know if the Max would be any different.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM

I was joking about the discharge. But to answer your question, I believe you could proceed as planned. As I posted before, thats what I did with my 944.....don't know if the Max would be any different.

Thanks bro