6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Intelligent key issue

Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 AM

Intelligent key issue

Vehicle: 2007 Maxima SL
Mileage: 39k

The other night my wife's intelligent key started acting up. She attempted to start the car and the red key light was on and teh ignition would not turn. I messed with it for a few minutes and it finally started. I did not have to take the key out of the FOB, it just started normally.

This morning, she calls me as she is trying to leave for work and cannot start the car. Same thing, red key light on and ignition will not turn. After a few minutes messing with the igition the car started.

Could this just be the key FOB battery dieing?

My FOB works perfectly fine every time.

Maybe I need to have the FOB re-programmed?

Is this the correct procedure for an '07 or do I need to have the dealer do this?
1. you enter the car from the drivers side
2. hit the power door lock
3. you stick the key in the ignition and pull it out 10 times ( so in and out, in and out, etc )
4. The flashers will blink
5. you hit the door lock button on your remote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 AM

HAVE SAME PROBLEM A WHILE AGO. REPLACE THE BATTERY WORKS FINE.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:49 AM

Thanks!

That is what I am hoping this is...
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 AM

So, I replaced the battery (CR2025) in both remotes and now neither works. I bought Rayovac brand (all I could find). Maybe I should find some Energizer batts. When you push the ignition in to turn it the red key light comes on. The manual says that this means that the battery is dead. What are the odds of buying a package of 2 dead batteries?

Do I need to reprogram the keys? I wouldn't think so, but I have seen weirder things.

I also checked the "intelligent key batt" fuse and it was fine. Any other fuses I should check.

I also read in the manual that if your battery is going dead or about dead the key light will flash green for a few seconds.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Make sure the battery isnt backwards -- when I replaced my battery, it did not lose programming
Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Make sure the battery isnt backwards -- when I replaced my battery, it did not lose programming
+1
Old 12-21-2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
+1

Fixed...

Helps if you put the battery in the correct way.

I could have sworn I checked the orientation of the battery before I removed it. Guess not! Flipped the battery over and it works like magic.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Do you have a aftermarket alarm installed?
I do & sometimes .. rarely.. when i enter the car and try to turn the ignition **** the little red light lights up but i just keep pushing the **** in n out for a few seconds n it then starts.. your trying for a few minutes-no...that probably means the batt was going.. it should be a few seconds of pushin the **** in n out & the light should turn green.
Good luck
Old 12-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by I3LaZeN
Do you have a aftermarket alarm installed?
I do & sometimes .. rarely.. when i enter the car and try to turn the ignition **** the little red light lights up but i just keep pushing the **** in n out for a few seconds n it then starts.. your trying for a few minutes-no...that probably means the batt was going.. it should be a few seconds of pushin the **** in n out & the light should turn green.
Good luck
General Question: I just got my first car a 07 max se with 63000 miles the only alarm system I have on it is the nissan one. Are there any aftermarkets alarms that can b put on in addition to that or is that the only one that can work for that car. I noticed the nissan alarm doesn't really make noise like many other alarms out there. and if so which company / model do you suggest and where can I get this I'm in ny. Also would I still have to use the intelligent key to lock/ unlock the doors? Because I want my ideal alarm to b able to lock/ unlock the doors and b able to start the engine, however I'd like to keep nissans feature of only allowing the vehicle to start with the presence of the intelligent key inside the car..

Long story short: can I have an alarm remote that unlocks/ locks the car , starts the engine howver even if I'm in the car , the car won't go anywhere unless it senses that intelligent key (wud I b able to disable lock n unlock feature on intelligent key?)

Also how do I get a spare intelligent key remote besides going to the dealer?
Please help. As I am really confused with this

Last edited by joker07x; 12-25-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:08 AM

Google "intelligent key remote start" to find more info on it since people have done it on other Nissan/Infiniti cars

You can add sensors to the stock alarm (6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8452) and add a remote start but since the key fob range sucks you're better off getting a complete aftermarket system. You'll have to carry 2 remotes, the 2nd remote will be used to lock/unlock doors, arm/disarm alarm & remote start the car, once you get in the car you'll have to press the brake pedal to turn off the car, and then restart the car the normal way so that it runs off the intelligent key (if you lock/unlock using the intelligent key or try to use the door sensor buttons then it'll set off the aftermarket alarm so you'll basically be carrying the intelligent key just to restart the car)

The aftermarket remote start will use a bypass module to start the car and it'll automatically turn off the car once you hit the brake pedal, when you restart the car it'll detect your intelligent key so that you can drive -- the aftermarket system isnt able to switch automatically from the bypass module to your intelligent key so thats why you have to restart the car -- just google it since theres lots of info out there on it

You can buy a spare intelligent key from ebay -- make sure its the same part number as your current intelligent key & that it comes with an uncut key (remove the key from your current remote and read the FCC ID on the back of the remote, mine shows CWTWBU735). You can have a dealer program it or call local automotive locksmiths to see if they're able to do it
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM

+1... u can get a aftermarket alarm which id recommend... you use the remote that comes with the aftermarket alarm to open/close the doors... if u do remote start.. when u get in the car u will have 2 press the brake to shut the car off n then restart it with the ****. The only feature you will lose is the buttons on the door handles 2 open/close the door. It will still work but if u use that to open the door, the aftermarket alarm will go off. Good luck. Btw I have the clifford alarm with lcd & Remote start. 1 mile

Google "intelligent key remote start" to find more info on it since people have done it on other Nissan/Infiniti cars

You can add sensors to the stock alarm (6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8452) and add a remote start but since the key fob range sucks you're better off getting a complete aftermarket system. You'll have to carry 2 remotes, the 2nd remote will be used to lock/unlock doors, arm/disarm alarm & remote start the car, once you get in the car you'll have to press the brake pedal to turn off the car, and then restart the car the normal way so that it runs off the intelligent key (if you lock/unlock using the intelligent key or try to use the door sensor buttons then it'll set off the aftermarket alarm so you'll basically be carrying the intelligent key just to restart the car)

The aftermarket remote start will use a bypass module to start the car and it'll automatically turn off the car once you hit the brake pedal, when you restart the car it'll detect your intelligent key so that you can drive -- the aftermarket system isnt able to switch automatically from the bypass module to your intelligent key so thats why you have to restart the car -- just google it since theres lots of info out there on it

You can buy a spare intelligent key from ebay -- make sure its the same part number as your current intelligent key & that it comes with an uncut key (remove the key from your current remote and read the FCC ID on the back of the remote, mine shows CWTWBU735). You can have a dealer program it or call local automotive locksmiths to see if they're able to do it
Old 01-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Please delete

Please delete as I posted my own thread.

Last edited by bushpilotmexico; 01-08-2010 at 03:51 PM.