6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

ported and polished intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 PM

ported and polished intake manifold

Hi guys,
I have a completely stock 04 maxima. I plan on adding a ported and polished stock intake manifold along with the fujita CAI. What will this do to the low end torque?
What gains do I expect from this setup?
I will be modding the exhaust too but later in the year. I do not want to lose low end torque with this setup and therefore the query.
Thanx
Rick
Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM

you need to started off from the simple bolt on's like an exhuast,

no matter how much your pulling in on the intake side , you need just as much on the exhuast.

You cannot rate a PnP on a manifold cause you have to calcute so much into the equation.

NWP spacers , Exhuast , intake should be your starting point.

Also you would need to port match the upper manifold + lower manifold to better gain airflow.

as well as exhaust port and headers.

what is your goal ? in power range ?
why do you belive you will lose low end torque ?
the VQ is a very torque motor in its stock form.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

After you do your mods, if you have Technosquare reflash your ECU, you get lots of low end torque. Nissan purposely reduced low end torque on the FWD Nissans to reduce torque steer. Reflashing the ECU will restore the low end torque. I find that taking off traction control gives more power on take off because traction control reduces timing if wheels slip. If you are a good driver, you dont need TC and your timing will not be reduced.

Here is my dyno results to prove it:

Red line is stock, blue line is the first flash I had years ago, and black is what it is now. The numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 12-30-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM

Y-pipe, intake headers (manifold) and exhaust headers, CAI, Underdrive Pulley and high flow cat,removal of resonator, NWP spacers and Via plate, O2 sensor computers; reflash of ECU; These are all very easy and quick mods...But after you do these you should also consider lowering the car and changing the shocks to make it handle better plus changing anti-say bars front and rear...and adding a Strut Bar....and very important: if you add power make sure you add braking performance. I have changed my front rotors: oversized, vented, cross-drilled and cadmium plated in the front and solid disks in the rear with high performance ceramic brake pads on all four corners. The car stops on a dime now. You can also change your brake lines and calipers too...just how far you want to go. BTW - My brake set-up costs the same for all four corners than two of Nissan's! And will outlast Nissan by a long shot and is far more comfortable and smooth too! No fade, modulation or warping and I'm on my second set since 2005!

And most of all have fun while you're doing it and enjoy your ride too!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Thank you for your replies. I just wanted a little more torque down low. From your replies it seems like the PnP manifold as a stand alone is not gonna do much. I will need to add several bolt-ons to reach the full potential. Deus, those gains are impressive. What are you running?
I was looking at the PnP manifold as I was getting it for free and I already have the CAI.
Thanx
Rick
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Hi

Where did u buy your brake pad n rotor from?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by rick sambora
Deus, those gains are impressive. What are you running?

Thanx
Rick
I have Kinetix intake manifold, headers, cattman y pipe and catback, UDP, Stillen short ram intake. I made some changes since then. I now have 3 inch single exhaust and Mishimoto carbon fiber intake. I need to re tune my ECU.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I have Kinetix intake manifold, headers, cattman y pipe and catback, UDP, Stillen short ram intake. I made some changes since then. I now have 3 inch single exhaust and Mishimoto carbon fiber intake. I need to re tune my ECU.
And post some pics of your new radiator for all of us to see.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
And post some pics of your new radiator for all of us to see.
Ok Ill get some pics.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Intake manifold help

I have a stock 1996 maxima with costume header back exhaust and would like to know if I can swap out the vq30 intake manifold for the vq35 intake manifold