6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

cloggged catalytic converter!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jay3250
If you can Let me know what they say and ask them how probable it is that pieces of the cat get sucked back in after 120 miles of driving with a bad one? Thanks
In doing some more research, I found a post from Cattman that is scairy and something to consider when thinking about taking it in to a shop. I may end up getting a diagnosis from Nissan and then taking it to Conrads here in NE Ohio.

http://forums.maxima.org/7419255-post46.html

Cattman says "Remove or replace that front precat soon. Many of the Maxima pre-cat substrates (the active core) start disintegrating into fine sand sometime after the CEL goes off, and small amounts get sucked into those 3 cylinders, which destroys the motor pretty quickly. Like I tell my customers, if you've recently noticed increased oil consumption (following a failed front precat), its already too late." [/URL]
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM

If you can Let me know what they say and ask them how probable it is that pieces of the cat get sucked back in after 120 miles of driving with a bad one? Thanks
Just talked to the Nissan dealer tech about your question. He said he's seen engines ruined right after the SES light has came on and some that haven't been ruined after driving on it for awhile. He said that things to watch for our burning oil and stalling.

Thank goodness I don't have that.

I feel comfortable doing brake pads, bleeding brakes, oil, rotating tires, etc, I just wish I felt comfortable doing exhaust or I would've looked into adding the Cattman system to this car. Can't wait to see how much this is going to cost.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 AM

dave, headers are not a bad install at all. Me and a friend did it on a garage floor with jack stands in a day. We had air tools, but they didn't necessarily make the job any easier, just less strenuous. grab a friend and go for it
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Hey just out of curiosity did you lose any low end with your header install and how much top end did you gain? Also how long or expensive was your header install? Im running with hollowed out cats and seems to be ok. so far

Also price$ of precats and condition?
hey Jay I PMed you might be able to help you out.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
dave, headers are not a bad install at all. Me and a friend did it on a garage floor with jack stands in a day. We had air tools, but they didn't necessarily make the job any easier, just less strenuous. grab a friend and go for it
Finally got the repair estimate and final diagnosis. Its the rear cat or the main 3-way catalyst. Estimate is $1500 + tax + possibility of replacing an O2 sensor. He said the car should not be driven until this repair is done. I called a local repair shop I use for normal issues and they could do a little better. I decided to just bend over and take it from the dealer.

I have jack stands and a floor jack, just afraid getting under the car because I'm basically a hack who googles stuff and then goes in full force. Knowing my luck the car would fall on me because I had the jack stands in the wrong place.

If I think about it, I'll post my receipt so others can see it for future issues.

While the car is there, I'm having him replace the plugs too. That's another $350. Not sure I trust any of the local guys w/ this.

After this repair, I think this is going to be my last Max. I might have to go with the grocery-getter car next time like a Camry.

BTW, I think a lot of my Max issues have to do w/ living in Cleveland and the tough winters. Seems like the Maximas like warmer weather and no corrosive salt.

Last edited by davewjones; 02-17-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Oolatec
What year is your car? Cats are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles...

If you're out of warranty... get some Cattman headers!

P.S. I wouldn't drive the car until you get the parts to get this fixed. The catalytic honeycomb material will get sucked into your engine and... kablooey.
Where can I find information about the warranty on my car? I just bought an 08 Max with 47K and after one day the right power mirror stopped working...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Just in case anyone was curious. Attached is my final bill.

$1,686 for 3-way cat, gaskets, and labor
$377 for install of 6 new Nissan spark plugs

CLICK ME

Last edited by davewjones; 02-19-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by RitalinKid081
Where can I find information about the warranty on my car? I just bought an 08 Max with 47K and after one day the right power mirror stopped working...
The dealer. Have them run your vin #.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:28 PM

well guys my ses light came on today so i went to get it read expecting to get a p0430 for my hollowed out cat, which i did but i also got a pending p0420. What i am wondering is if it is pending does that mean it is on the way out or should i keep driving it?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by davewjones
Just in case anyone was curious. Attached is my final bill.

$1,686 for 3-way cat, gaskets, and labor
$377 for install of 6 new Nissan spark plugs

CLICK ME
Ouch!!! That's why I call them Stealerships...
Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Anyone ever had a diagnostic tool throw a code pending? I threw a p0430 and a pending p0420? i wonder if this pending is something to be worried about
Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 PM

When is it coming? anytime before the end of the year?

Originally Posted by Racingline
If you can hold out a month or 2 we are working on these right now to see how well we can get them to work ...

OEM ( newer less than 10k on the unit pictured)

Metal Core

Ah this is what I overlooked and saw last time. I believe this is what I am really looking for given the winter and the weather more central Canada. In Vancouver you guys never see -30c to -40c weather along with a windchill factor that freezes your ears in 1 minute.

Which is one of the main reasons I did not see the headers as a viable solution given the climate I drive my car in. You got a breakdown of how much these replacement HAF cats will cost, along with install time, and build material? (hopefully rust proof).
Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 AM
oem ftw!

^^ I sent them a PM a week ago, no response yet Hope they're still working on this project....
Old 05-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just wondering......Any updates from RACINGLINE with the ....high flow Metal Core replacement cats
Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2o4Max
Ah this is what I overlooked and saw last time. I believe this is what I am really looking for given the winter and the weather more central Canada. In Vancouver you guys never see -30c to -40c weather along with a windchill factor that freezes your ears in 1 minute.

Which is one of the main reasons I did not see the headers as a viable solution given the climate I drive my car in. You got a breakdown of how much these replacement HAF cats will cost, along with install time, and build material? (hopefully rust proof).
I'm curious why the cold makes having header a problem? Seems like it makes having cats a problem.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 AM

weather

The big kicker here is our weather, i'm not talking just severe cold, literally more the elements. Running wiring for an o2 sensor knowingly exposed to salt, snow, slush, and just plain bad weather in general during the winter season.

Even though I use heat shrink tubing and put like 2-4 layers of it on my soldered joints for the o2 sensor the condensation will eventually get to it. would not be able to make it near as good as how block heater cords are made to stand our winter weather.

My vehicle unfortunately is to be used all year round, at many times I thought of trying the possibility of just making it a summer car... The wife disapproved...

Last edited by 2o4Max; 05-14-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 AM

Are these racingline cats available yet?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any news on those Racingline replacements? My firewall side cat just went out and would love to get these instead of the oem.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM

im putting money aside for headers right now..this is a great alternative.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:44 PM

I thought I would give everyone an update with my failed cats. I did not want to pay for headers install and racingline cats were not available. What I did is hollow out both precats and add a ypipe and I noticed some pretty nice power gains. As far as the check engine light all you need is o2 sensor spacers. They do work. I have driven the car for 3500 miles with only a cel coming up once for a p0507 (idle intake air control) which has nothing to do with the emissions. I just thought I would share my method of dealing with the dreaded P0420 precat code.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 AM

has anyone elso thought of going this route?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 AM

Hollowing out the cats was one option I thought about, my tech recommended against it, only because you really have to make sure you get all of that material out of there. You do not want it going back into the engine, it can scratch the cylinders or something in there and ruin your engine. I do think it is a viable option though, just be careful to due a thorough job.

Tell me:
1. How did you (or someone else) do it?
2. List all your CEL codes. When was the last time you checked because more could be piling up under your initial code.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Hollowing out the cats was one option I thought about, my tech recommended against it, only because you really have to make sure you get all of that material out of there. You do not want it going back into the engine, it can scratch the cylinders or something in there and ruin your engine. I do think it is a viable option though, just be careful to due a thorough job.

Tell me:
1. How did you (or someone else) do it?
2. List all your CEL codes. When was the last time you checked because more could be piling up under your initial code.
'

The front cat bank 2 is easy to access so they took that one off and hollowed it out the back one was much more labor intensive so I told him to cut it and then ream the housing. I had this done with a racingline ypipe and all crimps removed and magnaflow 14805's and it sounds amazing. Before I had the cats remove there was a p0420 code. Now with 3500 miles I've only had a p0507 whice may have something to do with the jet maf. Im not too sure. Also I went and had the code read right when it turned on. Tightened everything down on the intake and maf and the code hasnt returned since so I know for a fact that there are none piling up. The only downside so far to all this is that the exhaust has a very unusual odor and ive noticed that if I downshift to let the motor slow the car when the rpms hit 1100 they surge 1 time to 1600 then back down to where they should be...... Sounds weird I know.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM

Interesting, glad it's working out for you. Now.....how you gonna pass emissions? Do you have a cat in the Racingline Y?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 AM

Interesting, glad it's working out for you. Now.....how you gonna pass emissions? Do you have a cat in the Racingline Y?
I llive in the midwest and dont have to worry about such tests, otherwise I would have treated it like a header install with the cat in the ypipe. Honestly why go to all the trouble though when you can just use o2 sensor spacers instead. The next thing I would like to address is tuning the car. Do you guys think it is nesesary given my current setup. k&n filter, jet maf, nwp spacers, iridium plugs, grounding kit, lighweight pulley, gutted precats, ypipe, crimps removed and magnaflow mufflers? If so should I go with an safc II or technosquare? Which one is better?
Thanks, Jay
Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 AM

....... why go to all the trouble though when you can just use o2 sensor spacers instead....
No emission tests?!? Wow

What trouble are you referring to?

We have basically the same mods except you are almost stock for your intake. I have Fujita CAI soon to be on RC2. I guess that's why you aren't getting any lean codes.

I'm running SAFCII, I didn't go Technosquare only because I was afraid to start messing with the "brains" of the car that way. I was looking for a spare ECU to use but ran out of $$ and put that project on the back burner. I hope to do that next spring but the 07 bumper conversion mod is calling my name So we shall see what happens.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:39 PM

No emission tests?!? Wow

What trouble are you referring to?

We have basically the same mods except you are almost stock for your intake. I have Fujita CAI soon to be on RC2. I guess that's why you aren't getting any lean codes.

I'm running SAFCII, I didn't go Technosquare only because I was afraid to start messing with the "brains" of the car that way. I was looking for a spare ECU to use but ran out of $$ and put that project on the back burner. I hope to do that next spring but the 07 bumper conversion mod is calling my name So we shall see what happens.
Apollos,
All that i meant by "trouble" was the extra money to purchase another cat for the ypipe and extend the o2 sensors. After you installed your safc II did you tune it yourself or did you take it to a dyno and let someone else do it? Did youi notice a big difference once it was tuned with the proper air/fuel? Is it mostly cai's that mess up the air/fuel ratio?
Thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Oh yeah, I see. I had my SAFCII tuned at a dyno shop. It really didn't make a huge difference but I think I would be running to lean with out it.

CAI by itself doesn't throw off the a/f ratio too much. But once you add spacers, Y-pipe, catback you open it up enough where you can through a lean code.

No especially since you gutted the cats, I'm suprised you don't have a lean code already.

Tell me about your JET MAF. I bet there are some threads out there.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Oh yeah, I see. I had my SAFCII tuned at a dyno shop. It really didn't make a huge difference but I think I would be running to lean with out it.

CAI by itself doesn't throw off the a/f ratio too much. But once you add spacers, Y-pipe, catback you open it up enough where you can through a lean code.

No especially since you gutted the cats, I'm suprised you don't have a lean code already.

Tell me about your JET MAF. I bet there are some threads out there.

The only reason that I bought the jef maf is because it was only 60 used from a nycmaximas.org member. Also because chermax said that it is supposed to prevent any low end torque loss due to free flowing exhaust or cai according to a thread that chernmax started a while back. I did not notice much gain though. Did you experience any low end loss with your cai? or only gains? Are they worth the money?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 AM

People go back and forth on this but I can tell you with 100% certainty that you will experience some low end loss vs the stock intake. When I first got my Nismo CAI I swapped it back an forth one summer and my conclusion is

CAI = Better highway power, some loss of low end "off the line power"
Stock= Better off the line power but not near as strong from a roll between 55mph -----> or once you hit the 3500rpm mark through redline.

Since I drive about 35miles a day on the highway, it was worth the money to me. My Nismo eventually broke at the bypass filter and I went with a Fujita, which I will be switching out for a RC2 intake soon.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ml#post7706395 here they are
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 AM

I dropped $2300 at dealer last month on my 04 maxima......3 codes were found: p0340 repeated, p1273 and p0420. $1,000 out of that $2,300 was charged for labor. the rest was for a new three way catalytic convertor with new gasket and cam & crank position sensors.

has anyone else on here gone through that or did i just get suckered? well atleast my maxima is running good again!