6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

ebay headlights?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 PM

ebay headlights?

i need to get a new set of headlights low and highs and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the hids on ebay... i know its ebay but one of my friends got a set for his rsx and they seem to be fine... on top of that i dont want to spend 150 on new headlights if they are going to work the same as the ones form ebay....

thoughts?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 PM

IMO i bought a pair of the $300 phillips hid kit and then i ordered a pair of Xentec cheapo h11 hids for my fogs off of ebAY. i have never had a problem out of the cheapos and they have been running strong for about 2.5 years now. cant beat a $55 pair of hids. just my .02
Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 PM

thanks for the insight
Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM

i've gotten 2 cheapo conversion kits off ebay. the only problem i had was some oxidation that built up on the control unit for the bi-xenons. which wasn't the quality of the product, but the install

the 2nd kit i got is a basic hi-lo "plug-and-play", and i've had no issues at all.

go for it, HIDs are so mass produced now, they're a dime a dozen. ebay sellers in china/japan/germany are shipping them direct and avoiding the middleman, that's why they're so cheap.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 PM

ddmtuning is cheap and I never had any problems with them.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:25 PM

ive used ebay kits and installed a bunch they arent bad at all like everybodys saying, ive never had issues with any that i have ran or installed in other cars.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 PM

eBay kits are fine as long as you buy from a dealer. I would never buy from a random person just selling a set. Got a great kit off eBay for my 06 GSX-R and most likely going to get some h3 fogs off there soon. Always got to watch your back on eBay though. CHECK FEEDBACK! best of luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by timwdv
IMO i bought a pair of the $300 phillips hid kit and then i ordered a pair of Xentec cheapo h11 hids for my fogs off of ebAY. i have never had a problem out of the cheapos and they have been running strong for about 2.5 years now. cant beat a $55 pair of hids. just my .02
Have you ever experienced flickering from your xentec hids? I installed xentec hids in the headlights and fog lights even with the relay harness on headlights and fog lights they still flicker. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The cheap ones are fine it all depends how you hook them up and don't touch the bulb! As for the flickering on the last 2 installs i have done using xentec hids, they did flicker at first but once the bulb was warmed would come to a stop, and they have fully warn in now, work fine upon start up
Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Good point. NEVER touch the bulbs.....I always use plastic gloves during installation and I unplug the battery at the same time. The oils from your hands will actually mess up the bulbs by killing it's lifespan.

Also, get the H11 kits for your fogs
Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
Good point. NEVER touch the bulbs.....I always use plastic gloves during installation and I unplug the battery at the same time. The oils from your hands will actually mess up the bulbs by killing it's lifespan.

Also, get the H11 kits for your fogs

If these new ballasts do not take care of my flickering issue I will be buying new kits from somewhere else and I will make sure theyt send me the right ones. But I really don't see why it should matter the conections for both are the same and the wattage for both would be the same they take the same ballast so unless they didn't fit everything should be ok. Hopefully the new ballast do the trick.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by nnizmo2
The cheap ones are fine it all depends how you hook them up and don't touch the bulb! As for the flickering on the last 2 installs i have done using xentec hids, they did flicker at first but once the bulb was warmed would come to a stop, and they have fully warn in now, work fine upon start up

While I would love to agree with you I think I got the lemon out of the batch because not just 1, 2, or even 3 but all 4 lights flicker. I installed the lights minus the relays first and they flickered so I installed the relays for both fogs and headlights and they still flicker. Mine also start up just fine no flicker at all for about 10 -15 seconds then they all start flickering as if I turned on my magic flicker switch and they continue to do it the entire time they are on. I will admit though after about a week of having had them in they do not seem to be as bad as they originally were. Maybe the flicker will go away. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2008MAXIMASE
If these new ballasts do not take care of my flickering issue I will be buying new kits from somewhere else and I will make sure theyt send me the right ones. But I really don't see why it should matter the conections for both are the same and the wattage for both would be the same they take the same ballast so unless they didn't fit everything should be ok. Hopefully the new ballast do the trick.
Whether you believe me or not. The option is yours but H11's are the only ones that work for our cars. H8's fit but they won't work properly.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM

While I would love to agree with you I think I got the lemon out of the batch because not just 1, 2, or even 3 but all 4 lights flicker. I installed the lights minus the relays first and they flickered so I installed the relays for both fogs and headlights and they still flicker. Mine also start up just fine no flicker at all for about 10 -15 seconds then they all start flickering as if I turned on my magic flicker switch and they continue to do it the entire time they are on. I will admit though after about a week of having had them in they do not seem to be as bad as they originally were. Maybe the flicker will go away. I will keep my fingers crossed.
From my experience, the flickering does not go away until until you get rid of the Xentec ballasts and go with another kit. I've never had any luck with Xentec, relay or not.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 AM

Whether you believe me or not. The option is yours but H11's are the only ones that work for our cars. H8's fit but they won't work properly.

It's not that I don't beleive you I am just trying to find some sort of logical explanation for why the H8 kit would not work in place of the H11. As I said I do not think the ballasts are going to take care of it I really think that I am going to have to get new kits from someone else but for now I have to go through the motions so when it comes time to send them back the seller cannot say I didn't try to fix or resolve the issue. Once I order new kits I will make sure that I get the H11 and not an H8.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
From my experience, the flickering does not go away until until you get rid of the Xentec ballasts and go with another kit. I've never had any luck with Xentec, relay or not.

What HID kits do you have?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Xentec.

I just installed the Xentec 6000k Bulbs on my 08 maxima. I did the install myself it was pretty simple once you remove the cover for the fender to get room to operate. The problem i found so far when installing on my 08 maxima they only gave double-sided tape to mount the ballast and I am not sure how long that will hold up. It was difficult finding a spot to mount it. I hope the ballast is water proof because its open for some water to hit it if it was pouring or something. Now for the light. It fired right up with a little flickering. The flickering lasted for about 7 minutes and after that it was stable. Has been working good so far but it only has been 3 days. It actually looks better than my factor Hid headlights. Also if you have some flickering make sure all the positive and negatives are connected to each other correspondingly. On the factor clip the wire color is black and the other is white. Make sure you connect the white to the red. Other than that I will keep updates on how the Xentec brand works. So far cant beat a pair of headlights for 35 dollars.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:52 PM

The color of the wires sound exactly like mine. I had installed HIDs in a halogen headlight I did not have factory HIDs. Also the best place for your ballasts for the headlights is under the headlight assembly. It sound to me like you did not remove the bumper to do your install though. I removed the bumper for my install so I could remove the headlight and drill a hole in the plastic cover of the headlight to run my wires in and out of.

With your Xentec hids it sounds like you are having better luck than I have had. mine flicker not on stasrtup but after about 10-15 seconds after being turned on and once they start flickering they don't stop. Hopefully all will be ok with yours I am still waiting on my new ballasts from the seller.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM

It's not that I don't beleive you I am just trying to find some sort of logical explanation for why the H8 kit would not work in place of the H11. As I said I do not think the ballasts are going to take care of it I really think that I am going to have to get new kits from someone else but for now I have to go through the motions so when it comes time to send them back the seller cannot say I didn't try to fix or resolve the issue. Once I order new kits I will make sure that I get the H11 and not an H8.
The only logical answer that I can give you is that the H11 is the original stock bulb that you had taken out to replace with your HID's. It's the same with any car and why some use H8's or what have you. That would go for the headlights too.

Also, here's a tip that I want to give you just in cast you want to replace any other bulbs in the future:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

This has helped me a LOT.

Originally Posted by tallblazer124
The problem i found so far when installing on my 08 maxima they only gave double-sided tape to mount the ballast and I am not sure how long that will hold up. It was difficult finding a spot to mount it.
When you install HID's. The best idea would be for you to drop the bumper. With the ballasts for the fogs. The best place for those would be on the side of the big foam bumper piece . It's easily noticeable once you take off the bumper. You'll know what I'm talking about because it looks perfect to place a ballasts there.

Along with the double-sided tapes. You should get some slim zip-ties to ensure that they won't go anywhere. There should be some holes on top of your fogs ballast that you can slip some zip ties. As for the headlights...like 2008max told you. Under the unit is the best place for them.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-07-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:05 AM

[quote=6.5affiliate;8003233]The only logical answer that I can give you is that the H11 is the original stock bulb that you had taken out to replace with your HID's. It's the same with any car and why some use H8's or what have you. That would go for the headlights too.

Also, here's a tip that I want to give you just in cast you want to replace any other bulbs in the future:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

This has helped me a LOT.

I did actually use this site to find out what my factory bulbs where and I did actually ordered the right bulbs and was sent the wrong ones for the fogs. Anyways this is an awesome link and I recommend anyone needing to find out what type of bulbs they need for OEM or aftermarket replacement use this site to find out. As far as the H11's go I will see what happens when I get my replacement ballasts. If that doesn't work I will suggest to the seller that he send me the H11's this time to see if maybe this has anything to do with the fog lights flickering. Right now my hands are tied because I agreed to take the H8's after looking around and seeing that H8's will work in place of H11's. Thanks again 6.5affiliate you have help alot and I appreciate it. And trust me I learned my lesson and will never agree to something like this again.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 PM

No problem, I'm always glad to help someone out. I was a newbie myself and I know what it's like. There's still a lot of stuff that I don't even know about besides headlights and HID's.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:32 PM

No problem, I'm always glad to help someone out. I was a newbie myself and I know what it's like. There's still a lot of stuff that I don't even know about besides headlights and HID's.
Too bad everyone doesn't have this attitude. Some of the "senior" members have forgotten where they started and just like to tell the noobs to go find the answer themselves.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
Too bad everyone doesn't have this attitude. Some of the "senior" members have forgotten where they started and just like to tell the noobs to go find the answer themselves.

I know I greatly appreciate it. Any and all input to me is very important because I tend to make irrational decisions and get I trouble. Cause in point this whole topic and my personal situation with flickering bulbs. I saw them....they were cheap....so i bought them without doing the research. Oh did I mention I am very impulsive as well! Thanks again to all who have posted to help me I think I am just going to buy another set from someone else and try and get my money back. The more I look at it and see the bulbs flicker the more my stomach turns.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have installed the new ballasts that I received as replacements for the original ballasts that I received. They worked perfectly no more flicker atleast for the headlights. The seller did not send me the fog light replacement ballasts yet so I will post again once I get those installed and let you know if those fix the flicker on the fogs.

The ballasts sent this time for the headlights were different though and that is the main reason I wanted to put this post up. The ballasts he sent this time were AC volt ballasts instead of DC which were the cause of my flicker. So make sure you ask specifically for AC ballasts if you decide to install Xentec HID kits in your 08' Max (probably other years as well). They have a black box in line with the 2 connectors that plug into the HID bulb and they do not have a pigtail harness that plug into the ballast for the factory connector. It has 2 sealed harnesses that come out of the ballast. Here is a link for a company that sells there kits with AC, Can-bus ballasts (Anti flicker technology):
http://www.hidsrus.com/nissan-xenon-kits-lights-conversions-headlights-bulbs/
Here is a link for the ballasts that look like the ones I received scroll down to "Images" and look at the picture of the kit still in the box:
http://dealnay.com/1075481/xentec-slim-ballast-hid-kit-9006hb46000k-ultrawhite.html

I also wanted to mention that since you will need to drill a hole in the back headlamp bulb cover you should head to the Home Depot or other store that carries liquid tape and use that to seal the hole that you will have to drill. I put a couple of coats on my wires after wrapping the wires with electrical tape to fill most of the hole and then pushing it back into the hole about half way. I also had to take the terminals out of the factory connector for the headlight bulb and run them out the hole I drilled in the cover, put the terminals back in the connector, and seal the connector as well. The factory connector is not a sealed connector so make sure you drill the hole close to your factory rubber grommet that runs into the cover and also pack your connectors that plug into each other with dielectric grease to stop water intrusion.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM

It seems as if I am holding a conversation with myself here. I wanted to post again because I just started having a problem with my headlights now with the new ballasts installed the lights will come on and then after a couple of minutes they will shut off and will not come back on. Sometimes they don't even turn on or just one of the headlights will come on only.
STAY AWAY FROM XENTEC HIDS!!! THEY ARE GARBAGE.
Hope someone will read this before they decide to go to ebay and make the same mistake I did.

Last edited by 2008MAXIMASE; 04-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Does anyone know if the wattage of the HID kits would effect them as far as them not working???? I know that the factory bulbs are 55 watt (headlight and fog lights). The HID kits I got were both 35 watt kits could this have caused the issues I had with my lights flickering and now not even working? I want to get different HID kits but now I wonder if I should just put the factory bulbs back in and forget about the HIDs all together. Anyone else with an 08 max had these issues???????
Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Like I said before......it's the kits you got. Might be the H8 kit that you got on there because it's the wrong type of bulb/kit. In addition, the ballasts that you got might be weak. Not all ballasts are made the same. So, one companies ballasts might work well. Others will either cause the bulb not to turn on or have an abnormal amount of flickering.

I have a 2007 SE with 35 watt kits for both my headlights and fogs. So, there's no problem with that part of it. ONE of the only meanings to the wattage is either low-beam (35 watt kit) and high-beam kit (55w). The other would obviously be the amount of light output and heat.

For the fogs, it's best to have 35 watt kits because if you go 55 watts then that will melt the housing itself. As for the headlights, you can go 55 watts but that would mean you would have a LOT of glare which MIGHT get you flashed or pulled-over by porky.

As for your last question. Since you already drilled a hole through the plastic cover to your housing and everything. You might as well get another set of HID kits and call it a day. You might not like DDM's customer service over the phone but I promise you that their customer service by email is good. Also, the shipping, quality, and price is AWESOME.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-19-2011 at 03:14 PM.