6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

cheaper cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Is the r2c a velocity stack?
Nope. Not needed with their design.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Whats so special about it? Dual airflow piping? Bah, Ill just look it up....
Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Does having a CAI affect smog check at all in California?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Just visually, some places may turn you down for having one.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 PM

yeah i've heard of that. but its not often. if they turn you down just give them a **** face and say well fine ill do my business else where. other then that, absolutely no, a cai will not fail your smog test. we have 3 cats for Pete's sake. whoever the F Pete is. and how valuable is his sake anyways?

a little tip, if you are failing because your hydrocarbons are too high ect... you always pay for 2 tests, or you are allowed a second free test... i think there is a law in place for that someone correct me if im wrong.. but, just put in 2 cups of kerosine to 14 gallons of fuel (old school way) works best for carbureted engines. or use the baddest octane booster with top octane at the pump at 10 gallons (recommended). it'll make your fuel burn hotter thus burning up those pesky hydrocarbons. not to mention you might clear your max's throat and do it some good.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-15-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by nickelbn1
Does anyone know of a cold air intake that is good, but doesnt run $250 or more? I would like to get one, but just dont want to spend that much.

Also, if I were to choose one or the other, K&N or AEM? I am very new to all this stuff. I know engine basics and stuff pretty well, but I have never really done performance mods, so i am trying to start learning all this stuff. thanks everyone.
YOUR CAR CAME WITH ONE ALREADY!!!!! Actually it performs better, It's get cold air from the hood/grill and by the driverside wheel well. Get a drop in filter and call it a day!!!!

Last edited by Icons04SilverMax; 05-17-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Icons04SilverMax
YOUR CAR CAME WITH ONE ALREADY!!!!! Actually it performs better, It's get cold air from the hood/grill and by the driverside wheel well. Get a drop in filter and call it a day!!!!
smh..... no man, your stock airbox is not a cai... you stock air box is extremely restrictive. if you think the maxima is the same without one, your wrong.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
smh..... no man, your stock airbox is not a cai... you stock air box is extremely restrictive. if you think the maxima is the same without one, your wrong.
Restrictive only if your boosted, which is not the case here.. Also the stock system has two, count them TWO points of access to cold air... Where with any aftermarket CAI you only get one and guess where it goes.. Right to the driver side fender. Which is one of the access points on the stock air box.. You can go and do a short intake but then it wont be a CAI, simply because you will be sucking in all the heat from the engine.. So like I said before drop in a aftermarket filter and if you think the stock airbox is too restrictive. Get creative with the dremel.. CAI were made for boosted or older cars. Because the CAI concept was still unknown. Therefore wasnt integrated...
Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

The stock airbox for the 5.5 gen has been proven to support up to 250 whp (DynoJet). The design is inferior to the 6th gen design, so I agree.

Same goes for the exhaust, the stock cat-back has been shown to support the same #, and again, the it's design is inferior to the 6th gen.

I'm convinced, a properly tuned 6th gen could put down near 260 whp with stock or ported airbox and a stock catback.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 AM
SuPeRmOd

always thought the coldest and cheapest was the stock setup.

it pulls in cold air at an intense pressure between the hood and grille. and it's waterproof!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Fujita is working well for me.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

K&N works fine for me, nice sound and fuel economy.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM

thanks for all the input twentyeggs!! i was about to spend 200+ on a CAI, but im on my way to autozone!! lol
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 PM

i do not agree in the least big guys stock air box is never more efficient and never better if you have a proper CAI setup. you may say we have 2 points of entrance and while that is true, a proper CAI set up and 10 min of your time you can gut the stock air box components in the fender and you will have a GIGANTIC space where you will have 360 degrees of access and infinite entrances. you can then use a shield to block off any chance of sucking hot engine air. the cone gives a huge increase in surface area for more breath ability. you are basically arguing the very definition of a CAI..

you are completely wrong. tell me why you lose low end torque after putting on a CAI??? could it be because you don't have the air restriction?? and tell me why this has been proven millions of times on the dyno. I have seen first had the power increases made by a CAI. i have felt first hand a difference in my top end and fuel economy. a simple search will yeild you all the proof you need dyno sheets and all. stock is never better. yes it can handle higher HP, but its not the best set up unless you want a quiet car. an no a KNN filter will not give you better breathability than a cone filter.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 04max-28
thanks for all the input twentyeggs!! i was about to spend 200+ on a CAI, but im on my way to autozone!! lol
no problem bro, im glad i could help.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
always thought the coldest and cheapest was the stock setup.

it pulls in cold air at an intense pressure between the hood and grille. and it's waterproof!

ram air is a sale pitch, it doesn't work. its simple physics and i did a project on it in my physics class. there are also many sources out there in which added me in the math. science doesn't lie. math doesn't lie. in order for ram air to yeild any performance gains you would need to be traveling at over 800 mph with a very large scoop. 50" squared to be exact. or 600mph with a scoop the size of your car.

ill try and make it simple. when you stick your hand out the window on the freeway your thinking wow thats a lot of wind pressure. well, you would be wrong. what you are feeling is drag. the pressure hitting the face of your palm is very low. the drag your hand creates is very high. in a ram air set up drag is not a factor. psi is. and to create psi take many many many many many times the force created at freeway speeds. this is also why electronic superchargers/turbos do not work, they can create huge currents, enough to blow out of your hand and fly, but cannot generate psi. theres a physics equation disproving that too.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM
SuPeRmOd

So I incorrect in thinking that at 60+ mph the air pressure on the nose of a car is very high forcing air through the small opening into the motor? Or did I read a lot of misinformation about aerodynamics?

Why don't all cars come with the simpler/cheaper cai then? Replacing my oem parts after a deer hit me cost more than a nismo one.

I was always curious if a dyno is a true measure of a stock air intake since the car is stationary.

I understand the piping is long and can cause drag, but most cai's are hidden sucking for air...

I would think an exposed cai: (maybe behind a grille, or open wheel well?) might be best... of course if you eliminate the chance of hydrolock.

More importantly, with our car and I'm sure others, I thought flashing/reprogramming was needed so the car dosen't simply adjust to the increased colder air and revert to stock hp anyway???

Last edited by NismoMax80; 05-19-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:01 PM

So I incorrect in thinking that at 60+ mph the air pressure on the nose of a car is very high forcing air through the small opening into the motor? Or did I read a lot of misinformation about aerodynamics?
no all the physics are correct. there is not enough force in 60, 100, 200, 400, mph to generate even any psi. so ram air is completely false, its a lie. there are millions of sources out there, a simple search will support this claim.

Why don't all cars come with the simpler/cheaper cai then? Replacing my oem parts after a deer hit me cost more than a nismo one.

the dealer will charge you a **** ton because they are the dealer. they need to make up for all the time it took to design a box that fits into the engine the way it does. there was about 15 lbs of plastic that i took out when i did my CAI. the reason they don't have CAI with nose cones off the assembly line is simply because it's better for emissions and smog to have a restrictive air box. car manufactures are under A LOT of pressure to have eco friendly cars. they will readily sacrifice power and efficiency for better emissions. the more emissions control the car has the worse the performance and MPG. if this weren't true then why would the dealer would be spending so much money developing complicated air boxes instead of a pipe and a cone.

if you take a look at supercars/hypercars they don't use air boxes because they don't give a **** about emissions.

I was always curious if a dyno is a true measure of a stock air intake since the car is stationary.

yes, the foreward speed of a car doesn't affect anything but the temperature of the air. and when we roll cars, we have huge fans simulating windspeed, its also there to keep air flowing through radiators so the engines and Forced induction systems stay as cold as possible, the colder the better performance.

I understand the piping is long and can cause drag, but most cai's are hidden sucking for air...

I would think an exposed cai: (maybe behind a grille, or open wheel well?) might be best... of course if you eliminate the chance of hydrolock.

this is why CAI are placed in the fender. they have access to outside air where it is cooler. again doesn't affect the major aspect of a CAI which is breathability.

More importantly, with our car and I'm sure others, I thought flashing/reprogramming was needed so the car dosen't simply adjust to the increased colder air and revert to stock hp anyway???
no not for just a CAI, our cars ECU can learn things up to a certain point. when something changes in our car, it can relearn its algorithms. when the ecu does this, it's made to key into the best possible perimeters. with more air coming into the fuel box under WOT the computer knows it can add more fuel to the air/fuel ratio. more fuel more air, more power. under normal operation the computer knows the engine doesn't need the extra fuel to provide the energy necessary to suck the air in as opposed to a restrictive box. it flows in more freely allowing the computer to limit the amount of fuel needed because there is less energy required.

its all really simple if you just think about how a car works.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-19-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
SuPeRmOd

its all really simple if you just think about how a car works.

thanks
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM

thanks

no, im not being a d***... im sorry if it came off that way. i say that because people (including myself) tend to get wrapped up in what everyones saying rather than thinking for themselves when it comes to certain things, IE... the existence of ram air ect... i thought ram air was a sweet thing and almost bought a functional hood for 800 bucks.

im learning most information regarding performance parts carried between people is BS started by a smart person who's end goal is to make money.

sorry bro your one of my fav mods here lol im not being disrespectful.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 AM
SuPeRmOd

no, im not being a d***... im sorry if it came off that way. i say that because people (including myself) tend to get wrapped up in what everyones saying rather than thinking for themselves when it comes to certain things, IE... the existence of ram air ect... i thought ram air was a sweet thing and almost bought a functional hood for 800 bucks.

im learning most information regarding performance parts carried between people is BS started by a smart person who's end goal is to make money.

sorry bro your one of my fav mods here lol im not being disrespectful.
it was sincere

I'm always reading plus talking to mechanics old and young to learn about how best to maintain and possibly improve any performance. I often play devil's advocate to help me decide since opinions and facts get mixed up.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:10 AM

it was sincere

I'm always reading plus talking to mechanics old and young to learn about how best to maintain and possibly improve any performance. I often play devil's advocate to help me decide since opinions and facts get mixed up.

ah i see, i think i took the last one as sarcastic. you never know with the characters on the .org lawl
Old 05-21-2011, 10:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ai-vs-sri.html

Good read.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:16 AM

I need other cai. Can someone tell me which one is best between this two. Takeda cai or R2C Short ram intake?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 AM

dude, all cai are created equal. there is absolutely no difference in cai except for the filter. the filter is the part you need to worry yourself with nothing else. all these brand name cai are waste of money.
I agree, there are some nice cheap setips on ebay.. And all the clamos are nice t-bar type. I was noticing on some of these high end cai's they give you **** *** pipe clamps...
Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Interesting might start constructing a CAI... 3" Aluminum piping with some kind of crazy filter
Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Burk w/ Apex i filter. FTW

I had another "name brand" intake and it was poor. The burk runs 150 and comes with choice of filter. The APex filter is the best IMPO
Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by nickelbn1
Does anyone know of a cold air intake that is good, but doesnt run $250 or more? I would like to get one, but just dont want to spend that much.

Also, if I were to choose one or the other, K&N or AEM? I am very new to all this stuff. I know engine basics and stuff pretty well, but I have never really done performance mods, so i am trying to start learning all this stuff. thanks everyone.
I bought the HSP for 235 shipped to Toronto Canada, but it was a $90 brokerage fee So yeah you should check out the HSP on ebay. Unlike other companies they got 4 colours,gloss black,wrinkled black"I got that one",blue and chrome.

They are all the same thing just some come with the MAF sensor adapter and some don't. The more well known name brand will obviously cost more but it's the same material,bends and shape. Only thing that sets them a part is the 3M decal. Another advantage is the HPS come in two parts so you can use it long or short. Good luck
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM

all i did was put in a stainless steel pipe, an elbow, a few couplings, grommet, and the biggest filter i could get my hands on, you can't see in the picture but that thing is huge, its like a foot in length. the bigger the filter, the more filtering surface area, the less resistance, and resistance is the name of the game when it comes to filters and aftermarket intakes. I am very happy with this.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 AM

all i did was put in a stainless steel pipe, an elbow, a few couplings, grommet, and the biggest filter i could get my hands on, you can't see in the picture but that thing is huge, its like a foot in length. the bigger the filter, the more filtering surface area, the less resistance, and resistance is the name of the game when it comes to filters and aftermarket intakes. I am very happy with this.
Nice! Simple and efficient!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM

Dude, head to your local auto parts store, and make your own for about $50. The power increase is exactly like K+N, and yes...Fujita