6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Help me prioritize my repairs please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Help me prioritize my repairs please!

Hey guys... since purchasing my 06 SE in November of 2009 with just over 57K on it, I've discovered more problems than I can handle at the moment financially, and would like your input on what should be fixed sooner rather than later.

First of all, I just had my automatic transmission replaced by Action Transmission. They used a factory remanufactured unit direct from Nissan. They did not replace the TCM. So far, I've driven roughly 3K on the new transmission and everything seems fine although I swear there is still a delay from Reverse to Drive and Park to Drive as well as a slight kick when shifting from 1-2, 2-3 gears. Should this be of concern or is it 'normal'?

I replaced my serpentine belts about a month ago as well as the front struts with GR-2s. I was hoping that replacing the struts would get rid of a "creaking" noise coming from my front end when I drive on bumpy roads or drive over curbs, but it did not. I'm planning to replace the rear shocks with GR-2s once I have some extra funds.

I've also had to have my driver's side CV axle replaced and my brakes done within the last three months.

I'll be having my low-side A/C hose replaced tomorrow since I just recently found out on a road trip to California that my A/C which I just had recharged has a leak (the recharge lasted less than a week).

Currently the vehicle is nearing 65K and is due for an oil change - I'm wondering what other things I should have checked out at this time and if I were to take it somewhere, should I go with a chain such as JiffyLube or a local mechanic?

My most concerning problem is the creaking in the front end as well as a vibration that occurs only at 40MPH. I've read that the vibration could be wheel bearing related so what can I do to verify this myself? Anyone have any idea as to what the creaking noise is in the suspension if it's not the struts?

Needless to say, it's a lot of problems for what I thought was a reliable, long lasting car. I picked it up for $14,900 at a local dealership and have already paid nearly $5000 out of pocket in repairs including new tires.

I know it's a lot but I would really appreciate some incite from you experts, thanks a lot!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 PM

That's a lot to put in already. If you did some of the work that is easy to do yourself you could save a little, changing the oil or replacing the A/C hose, but take it to the shop (not the dealer) to charge it. The vibration could be a bad wheel balance, did you just get new tires? My 4th gen still has original shocks, and it makes a few creaks, but she goes really well over the bumps .I know new ones would be nice, but I'm not bothered .
Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 AM

I just got new tires about 5K ago and replaced the struts less than 1K ago. I'm wondering if something is slightly off - perhaps I'll have them spin balanced again.

I know it's a lot... I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8 and those things are supposed to be maintainence heavy... I had the engine rebuilt and some electrical issues but that only totalled to be about $3,000.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 PM

I had a noise front end and was trippin what is that, come to find out it was the hood vibrating at where it closes so just wrapped some black tape around on the hook and that was gone.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

The sound I'm experiencing sounds like a creaking sound like when an old door opens slowly... except it sounds like metal.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by BzJeep
The sound I'm experiencing sounds like a creaking sound like when an old door opens slowly... except it sounds like metal.
Wow so much money and only at 65k thats crazy I have a work truck and the noise that you seem to be complaining about might be the front bushings or a connecting rod thats worn out in the front end not sure if the Max has the same but I replaced them on my work vehicle and that creaking noise went away. My max is an 05 just turned 60k the extented warrenty goes until 75k than the car is gone just had a replacement tranny done and a wheel bearing but this car scares me to death without a warranty. I love the car it has a fantastic ride but I have a hard time comprehending that this car would cost me a fortune if I did not have a warranty (meaning is wasn't built very well). The amount of money that people spend here to replace things I rather use that money for a down payment on new car and not turn this car into a money pit.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 PM

dood you should have taken $1500 and bought a aftermarket warranty for 3yrs thats what i got and i already got control arms steering rack and transmission off them your warranty would have covered all that....